Hillsborough County Employee Reviews in United States

Bocc
Senior Human Resource Analyst (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 13, 2016
A very negative working environment. Several members in management positions should be replaced as they are sitting in the position(s) based on time in service and not qualifications. The organization itself is known for not following the same rules they are charged to enforce. Many workers have blatantly lied or covered up many mishaps. For this to be a government entity they need a full overhaul from top to bottom.
Cons
Compensation, benefits, and stress
This was a typical government office atmosphere
Office Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 26, 2016
I only worked here for less than 6 mos before budget cuts resulting in being laid off. I worked for one person and he kept me busy reorganizing his office and document files. It was friendly and hectic as a government office seems to be,
Pros
working downtown is great
Cons
Job security
Social Services
Social Worker/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 18, 2015
Case Management and community-based services for Medicare, Medicaid patients enrolled in Home and Community-Based Waiver programs. The intent was to divert hospitalization and nursing home placement.
Productive and punctual work place
social worker case manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 10, 2015
High volume customer work place with supportive management.
It is like working with family.
The best part of my job was knowing I can always help anyone that needed help.
Workplace was fun and also productive
Child Care Worker & Secretary (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 8, 2015
I worked several different areas in Hillsborough County, in Tampa, Florida. I worked with juveniles who had a lot of behavioral issues. I started out in Children's Services with this element. After working the 3-11 shift for several years and not being able to get onto the first shift I transferred to Consumer Protection. This shift was the day shift and much more agreeable with Job Work/Life Balance. I thoroughly enjoyed helping the residents of Hillsborough County against the unscrupulous businesses that always scammed them! The older generation especially were targeted and it was so sad. I was very proud when we were able to help get money back for the county residents and take these crooked businesses to task for all they had done. It was a very rewarding and enjoyable job and I wore a lot of hats because of us being so short staffed due to budget constraints. The only reason I left was because I was homesick for where I had been raised in the MD/PA area. The heat was overwhelming in Florida as well.
Pros
Lots of rewarding outcomes in helping people.
Cons
Pay was very low because it was down south.
Vounteer Zumba Instructor
Volunteer Zumba Gold Instructor (Current Employee) –  Ruskin, FLJuly 28, 2015
I love teaching the Seniors Zumba. The Management are very friendly and accommodating! The Seniors really enjoy the music and are very loving towards me.
Pros
Enjoy volunteering my free time!
Cons
Not paid.
Librarian 1
Children's Librarian (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 14, 2015
Primary responsibility was creating and doing children and young adult programs. Including reference work, general customer requests.
Pros
Great schedule
Cons
Planning children's programming demands a lot of time and attention.
Differing learning environment from school to school.
Substitute Teacher/Co-Teacher (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FloridaApril 15, 2015
I wake up a 5:50 am and get ready for work. Location varies, but I usually work within a 10 mile radius. Since Middleton High filled the vacancy I was working, I have been working at a few schools that request me for work. This is because I can step in as a teacher, as opposed to most substitutes or co-teachers who are there to only manage the classroom. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to assist those students who are eager to learn. The stress level is very low, which works to my benefit as I am back in school at nights.
Pros
Low stress
Cons
Locations vary.
There was never a goal
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hillsborough CountyMarch 4, 2015
Hillsborough County School never had a goal. There were too many bosses and not enough workers. The teachers were not allow to teacher. The classroom was being run by the manager downtown.
Grate place to work
Mechanical Technician /Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 3, 2015
Enjoyed working there.There are good days and bad days.The job is very political.Just due your job and cya.You have good people that work hard and you have people that are just hard to work for.
Pros
binafits
Cons
management do it my way.and if wrong its still your fault
Working in the warehouse
STOREROOM MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Tampa flFebruary 27, 2015
Working knowledge of storekeeping and warehousing methods and procedures, County purchasing procedures. Working knowledge of nomenclature, descriptions and source of equipment, materials and supplies. Ability to oversee the operations of a store or warehouse, conduct inventory of materials and supplies and keep related records, work effectively with others, plan, organize and supervise the work of others. Supervises all activities of a storeroom or warehouse to include storage, control, and issuance of materials and equipment, the development of storeroom or warehouse policies, practices, and procedures. Records and maintains pertinent data as to nomenclature, supply and inventory of equipment, materials and supplies. Institutes proper security controls to safeguard the facility against burglary, theft and pilferage. Maintains records and files. Assigns, reviews, and evaluates the work of subordinate staff.
Good starting point
Office Assistant I/Navigator (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 4, 2015
Great place to work if you want a long career opportunity. I love my job because I get to interact with the public and assist people who are going through difficult times.
Pros
great customer service skill building
Cons
job security
Park ranger (Current Employee) –  Wilderness parkJanuary 31, 2015
I learned communication skills, working efficacy, and good work ethic. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing people happy with the customer service I provide.
Great experience
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 7, 2014
I loved my experience with Hillsborough County! Awesome place to work.
Pros
lots
Cons
cannot think of anything in particular
the best job a groundskeeper could have
GREENSKEEPER II (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 2, 2014
the superintendent was good to his employees. I could look forward to going to work the next day. Everybody was treated like one big family. Everyone worked like a well oiled machine together. the hardest part of the job was the over seeding because it would take 12 hours to do it. The best part of the job was cutting the green's.
Pros
the day before a holiday or after over seeding the superintendent would cook out for the whole crew
Cons
being hit by golf ball.
Productive and active learning
Agriculture Industry Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Economic Development Dept., County CenterApril 15, 2014
Customer service for the Public concerning all sections of the Economic Development; Agriculture, Corporate Development, Minority/Small Business Enterprise, Small Business Start-up and counseling, Tourism Tax Development.
Communication is always a trial when you have so many making decisions, but eventually when the whole team comes together, then all runs well.
Management of each section were very knowledgeable and intelligent. Throughout the years working there, I have learned more through their knowledge and advice.
My co-workers were easy to work with and around. We would work together and solve any situation that arose. We were always a team.
The hardest part of the job had to be watching tenured employees move on or retire, but when new people came into our section it was interesting and we were fortunate to be able to work with their new knowledge.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the amount of people I have met and was able to help them in some part of a process. I enjoyed the friendships and the professionalism and the knowledge I learned and have kept with me!
Pros
security, training, benefits, and pay
Cons
office politics
An amazing opportunity to represent the children of our future.
Guardian Ad Litem (Volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Tampa AreaMarch 28, 2014
I love my Guardian Ad Litem volunteer work. We are appointed by a District Judge to investigate and determine the needs of abused and neglected children. We are given simple and hard cases to deal with, but we work selflessly to better the lives of others. As a Guardian we do a lot of visits with children, interviews, research, and consultations with other Guardian Advocates. This provides us the ability to deliver the most accurate and helpful recommendations we can to the Judge. Although, this is all done without compensation, the benefit of helping a child in need is overwhelmingly satisfying and rewarding in many other ways.
Pros
the opportunity to play a role in giving children a brighter, better future and the ability to give back to my community.
Cons
can be heart wrenching at times.
The work could be dangerous and you had to be alert at all times.
Deputy Sheriff (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 6, 2013
I was very pro-active and looking for traffic violations and criminal activity. I was educated in the state laws and regulations. My co-workers were very good to work with and always there to help.
Pros
the agency had good benefits.
Cons
the danger factor.
Leader ship is a necessity
Recreational Team Leader (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 24, 2013
Come in everyday to smiling children from all ages, and everyday was a learning experience. Each group had their own age group of children from 20 to 30 and 3 coaches. the hardest part was having to tell the children no but i enjoyed being around the children.
Pros
hour lunch, team work
Do not work there if you are an LPN
Nursing (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FlApril 12, 2013
If you are a med nurse you will go to the I/M to their pod which is set up all open, unless your in lock down. There is only 1 deputy to 72 I/M. Your responsibilities are too many to list. If you are an eve or night nurse you will be there min 2 hours beyond your shift. Not because your slow because what is expected of you. The pay is on the low end, even with a background in corrections. Lastly the only reason I gave high start on job security is because there is never enough nursing help; so you will pretty much be there forever if you want. The enjoyable part of the job is when your clocking out to go home.
Pros
lunch, clocking out
Cons
working conditions