Hillside Children's Center Employee Reviews in United States

Challenging and good learning experience
Youth care professional (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 27, 2015
I work with very difficult kids who have had a lot of trauma in their lives and it shows. our job is to build relationships with them and understand their triggers so we can help them with better coping behaviors. my supervisors are good and provide a lot of training and coaching. i had good training when i started too. I like going to the town halls and seeing the leaders.
Pros
working with the kids, my team is really great
Cons
can be pretty stressful, a lot of responsibility
I ment a lot of people. I enjoyed working with Children.
Assistant Manger (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 26, 2015
Everyday was different. I was able to go a lot of places with the children and teach them ways to better their lives. I worked with a diverse culture. I learn a lot on ways in the development growth of children.
Great place to work that makes a difference
Counselor of Youth Advocacy (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 31, 2015
Work with high school aged students as a support system for getting through high school successfully and having an on time graduation, helping students post high school and helping students gain employment.
Enjoyable workplace
Youth Care Professional I (Current Employee) –  Romulus, NYApril 8, 2015
It can be a fun place to work. Often doing outings and playing games. It's sometimes like being a kid again. Not always but sometimes you have to help a youth through crisis, but you are trained to deal with these types of situations.
Pros
recreation with youth
Cons
Crisis intervention
It was a very fast paced job with something new to do every day.
Intensive Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lyons, NYNovember 11, 2014
In a typical day I would do some progress notes and home visits. In the home visits I reviewed the service plan and the strategies being used as methods. If there were situations in the home we would also review the families safety plan. Some families were in crisis and referrals were being made. I would follow up on the referrals and the services being provided. If an out of home placement was recommended by the Child and Family Team then I was also gathering information and putting the packet together. I had most of my contact with co-workers over the phone. I was given updates and barriers with the progress of goals. I was also getting daily feed back on new information or ideas to meet goals. On a daily basis I also contacted the supervisor and reported progress for the day. I went to the main office several times a week for meetings and training. It was a 45 minute communte and there was limited office space and supplies. The hardest part of the job was the office limitations and the commute. There was frecuent crisis calls that needed to be handled on a regular basis. The main support for the job was an hour away and was difficult to receive. There was alot of paperwork that was hard to do it with all the driving and crisis situations.The internet and phone service was a challenge. The job was in a country setting that had poor internet and celular service. If I was in the office I had no phone and internet access. Most of my work was done from home or different locations that I could creatively find. The job also had a new view point on the families situation that was  more... easy to get side tracked in a setting that wasn't used to this new method. The most enjoyable part of my job was to be able to find things that the families enjoyed. I was able to take their strengths and interest to help them use them as coping skills. We did family activities and tried to be creative with what we did. We planned monthly family events at the beach, park and etc. Some of the families developed and made changes that were significant. It was amazing to be able to see families make it through struggles and get better. I learned to see things from a new prospective. I also learned to trust that families know themselves more then we do. They developed partnerships with providers and had input on their plans and the progress. The program used them to help us in the process instead of trying to make them do what we thought they needed. I also became knowledgable on basic mental health diagnosis and treatments.  less
Pros
wireless internet and celular service to do my job.
Cons
alot of paperwork and constant crisis response. twice a month i was also on call for two counties.
Dedicated Staff
Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYNovember 3, 2014
I had the opportunity to work with some of the most dedicated staff in my career. They were always willing to go the extra mile for the children they provided care to. The biggest reward for them was the difference they made in the lives of others. Days, evenings and nights were often filled with aggressive and challenging situations, and the staff handled themselves professionally and with compassion.
Productive, a sense of accomplishment, Different everyday
Assistant Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Romulus, NYAugust 6, 2014
Each and everyday is different, making the job a lot better.
Productive and stressful but fullfilling
Youth Care Professional 3 (Current Employee) –  NYJune 25, 2014
Working at Hillside has made me realize that if you can help an individual understand that there is a better life and that they can be successful . A typical day at Hillside is dealing with youth that have had a rough life and some of them have either mental or emotional problems that they have to deal with on a daily basis, my job is to teach them how better to deal with them at the same time keep them safe and others safe. I hold a Life Skills group every Friday , this group is a tool to teach them skills of everyday life so that they may be successful in the community. The group topics range any where from cooking and how to and how to be safe while doing it, to how to complete your hygiene and why hygiene is important . My job at Hillside is very rewarding and stressful, my coworkers are very supportive and we work well together as a team . The hardest part of my job is realizing that some of the individuals may not be successful out in the community but that just makes me try harder
Pros
knowing your helping a child learn to function as a successful memeber of society
Cons
very stressful
All about the money
YCP 1 (Former Employee) –  Varick, NYJune 18, 2014
Hillside does very little to ensure their workers. Work most of the time understaffed but the unit is full of youth. Ratio for youth to staff is never correct. Supervisors don't answer their phone calls during crisis or want to come in and help during a crisis.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
lack of supervision from supervisors, not enough staff
good place to work
Supervisor/YCP (Former Employee) –  Romulus, NYMay 20, 2014
over all a good place to work. co-workers are great. worked there for 8 years.
Draining soul-crushing experience
Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  Romulus, NYMarch 31, 2014
I tried to teach science at this institution. Due to lack of support staff and supplies, I found that nearly impossible. I spent my days counseling clients, dealing with paperwork from restraints and incidents, attending social worker meetings, and having my lesson plans thwarted repeatedly. And to make matters worse, I found that many other staff acted as if they were clients in need of behavioral and emotional therapy and support. And the administration allowed these unprofessional folks to work with clients, further hindering any progress clients were making. I also found it very depressing, and not very effective. Many clients were put in bad situations and escalated to crisis and then caught in a vicious cycle. I quit. It was awful. Years have passed since I resigned, and I still have nightmares about this place.
Pros
the children you can help, reach, inspire
Cons
the administration, other troubled staff, poor pay, no summers off, dangerous, risky
very physically and mentally depanding, with not much room for advancement
Special Education Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Romulus, New YorkJanuary 25, 2014
I have worked for Hillside Children Center for over 6 years. I started off working in Residental care and then transfered to the School on campus.I am currently a Special Education Teacher Assistant. I enjoy the job, but there is not much room for advancement
Pros
good experience
Working with the kids
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 5, 2013
Working around kids with bad behavior cleaning class rooms stripping and waxing floors also takiong trash out summer cleaning.
You either love it or hate it
Youth Care Provider/Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Romulus, NYSeptember 13, 2013
The children that I had the pleasure of working with were pretty great. Most of them showed me a lot of respect, the same respect that i showed them. You do have days where it seems crisis is all around you and you get very stressed but then you have amazing days where you feel like you really made a difference in a child's life. You have to judge it for yourself.
Pros
making a difference
Cons
i want to keep this to myself
Good Place to work
Care-Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJuly 9, 2013
I have learned so much working where I work.I have enjoyed working with the youth and Families I work with.
Long Hours, Terrible benefits
Sociotherapist (Former Employee) –  Romulus, NYJune 9, 2013
This place is rewarding at times but the indecision of upper-level supervisory staff is really unsettling for the clients considering one of the main focuses of the company is to provide stability.
I believe in their mission.
Youth & Family Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYMay 5, 2013
I believe in their mission & what they're trying to do for the youth of tomorrow.
Very fun and fast paced atmosphere
Transition Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMay 1, 2013
The dynamics of the job were great. Working with the different people from all walks of life. Having the opportunity to work outside of the office was also great. Helping the youth was the greatest experience of all.
Pros
traveling
Cons
traveling
Would not recommend
Youth Family Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Auburn, NYMarch 16, 2013
To many issues here to even begin to explain. If they like you they will keep you if not your out.
Excellent Place to Work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Romulus, NYNovember 27, 2012
This job is very emotionally and physically demanding, not for the weak at heart. Involved a lot of physical restraints with children. Injuries do occur, but if you have a good team can be lots of fun.
Pros
excellent pay
Cons
physically/emotionally demanding