Hillside Children's Center

Hillside Children's Center Employee Reviews

It was a very fast paced job with something new to do every day.
Intensive Care Coordinator (Former Employee), Lyons, NYNovember 11, 2014
Pros: wireless internet and celular service to do my job.
Cons: alot of paperwork and constant crisis response. twice a month i was also on call for two counties.
In a typical day I would do some progress notes and home visits. In the home visits I reviewed the service plan and the strategies being used as methods. If there were situations in the home we would also review the families safety plan. Some families were in crisis and referrals were being made. I would follow up on the referrals and the services being provided. If an out of home placement was recommended by the Child and Family Team then I was also gathering information and putting the packet together. I had most of my contact with co-workers over the phone. I was given updates and barriers with the progress of goals. I was also getting daily feed back on new information or ideas to meet goals. On a daily basis I also contacted the supervisor and reported progress for the day. I went to the main office several times a week for meetings and training. It was a 45 minute communte and there was limited office space and supplies. The hardest part of the job was the office limitations and the commute. There was frecuent crisis calls that needed to be handled on a regular basis. The main support for the job was an hour away and was difficult to receive. There was alot of paperwork that was hard to do it with all the driving and crisis situations.The internet and phone service was a challenge. The job was in a country setting that had poor internet and celular service. If I was in the office I had no phone and internet access. Most of my work was done from home or different locations that I could creatively find. The job also had a new view point on the families situation that was – more... easy to get side tracked in a setting that wasn't used to this new method. The most enjoyable part of my job was to be able to find things that the families enjoyed. I was able to take their strengths and interest to help them use them as coping skills. We did family activities and tried to be creative with what we did. We planned monthly family events at the beach, park and etc. Some of the families developed and made changes that were significant. It was amazing to be able to see families make it through struggles and get better. I learned to see things from a new prospective. I also learned to trust that families know themselves more then we do. They developed partnerships with providers and had input on their plans and the progress. The program used them to help us in the process instead of trying to make them do what we thought they needed. I also became knowledgable on basic mental health diagnosis and treatments. – less
Dedicated Staff
Site Supervisor (Former Employee), Rochester, NYNovember 3, 2014
I had the opportunity to work with some of the most dedicated staff in my career. They were always willing to go the extra mile for the children they provided care to. The biggest reward for them was the difference they made in the lives of others. Days, evenings and nights were often filled with aggressive and challenging situations, and the staff handled themselves professionally and with compassion.
Productive, a sense of accomplishment, Different everyday
Assistant Supervisor (Current Employee), Romulus, NYAugust 6, 2014
Each and everyday is different, making the job a lot better.
Productive and stressful but fullfilling
Youth Care Professional 3 (Current Employee), NYJune 25, 2014
Pros: knowing your helping a child learn to function as a successful memeber of society
Cons: very stressful
Working at Hillside has made me realize that if you can help an individual understand that there is a better life and that they can be successful . A typical day at Hillside is dealing with youth that have had a rough life and some of them have either mental or emotional problems that they have to deal with on a daily basis, my job is to teach them how better to deal with them at the same time keep them safe and others safe. I hold a Life Skills group every Friday , this group is a tool to teach them skills of everyday life so that they may be successful in the community. The group topics range any where from cooking and how to and how to be safe while doing it, to how to complete your hygiene and why hygiene is important . My job at Hillside is very rewarding and stressful, my coworkers are very supportive and we work well together as a team . The hardest part of my job is realizing that some of the individuals may not be successful out in the community but that just makes me try harder
All about the money
YCP 1 (Former Employee), Varick, NYJune 18, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: lack of supervision from supervisors, not enough staff
Hillside does very little to ensure their workers. Work most of the time understaffed but the unit is full of youth. Ratio for youth to staff is never correct. Supervisors don't answer their phone calls during crisis or want to come in and help during a crisis.
good place to work
Supervisor/YCP (Former Employee), Romulus, NYMay 20, 2014
over all a good place to work. co-workers are great. worked there for 8 years.
Draining soul-crushing experience
Science Teacher (Former Employee), Romulus, NYMarch 31, 2014
Pros: the children you can help, reach, inspire
Cons: the administration, other troubled staff, poor pay, no summers off, dangerous, risky
I tried to teach science at this institution. Due to lack of support staff and supplies, I found that nearly impossible. I spent my days counseling clients, dealing with paperwork from restraints and incidents, attending social worker meetings, and having my lesson plans thwarted repeatedly. And to make matters worse, I found that many other staff acted as if they were clients in need of behavioral and emotional therapy and support. And the administration allowed these unprofessional folks to work with clients, further hindering any progress clients were making. I also found it very depressing, and not very effective. Many clients were put in bad situations and escalated to crisis and then caught in a vicious cycle. I quit. It was awful. Years have passed since I resigned, and I still have nightmares about this place.
very physically and mentally depanding, with not much room for advancement
Special Education Teacher Assistant (Current Employee), Romulus, New YorkJanuary 25, 2014
Pros: good experience
I have worked for Hillside Children Center for over 6 years. I started off working in Residental care and then transfered to the School on campus.I am currently a Special Education Teacher Assistant. I enjoy the job, but there is not much room for advancement
Working with the kids
Environmental Services (Former Employee), Rochester, NYDecember 5, 2013
Working around kids with bad behavior cleaning class rooms stripping and waxing floors also takiong trash out summer cleaning.
You either love it or hate it
Youth Care Provider/Teachers Assistant (Former Employee), Romulus, NYSeptember 13, 2013
Pros: making a difference
Cons: i want to keep this to myself
The children that I had the pleasure of working with were pretty great. Most of them showed me a lot of respect, the same respect that i showed them. You do have days where it seems crisis is all around you and you get very stressed but then you have amazing days where you feel like you really made a difference in a child's life. You have to judge it for yourself.
Good Place to work
Care-Coordinator (Current Employee), Rochester, NYJuly 9, 2013
I have learned so much working where I work.I have enjoyed working with the youth and Families I work with.
Long Hours, Terrible benefits
Sociotherapist (Former Employee), Romulus, NYJune 9, 2013
This place is rewarding at times but the indecision of upper-level supervisory staff is really unsettling for the clients considering one of the main focuses of the company is to provide stability.
I believe in their mission.
Youth & Family Development Specialist (Former Employee), Canandaigua, NYMay 5, 2013
I believe in their mission & what they're trying to do for the youth of tomorrow.
Very fun and fast paced atmosphere
Transition Coordinator (Former Employee), Rochester, NYMay 1, 2013
Pros: traveling
Cons: traveling
The dynamics of the job were great. Working with the different people from all walks of life. Having the opportunity to work outside of the office was also great. Helping the youth was the greatest experience of all.
Would not recommend
Youth Family Development Specialist (Former Employee), Auburn, NYMarch 16, 2013
To many issues here to even begin to explain. If they like you they will keep you if not your out.
Excellent Place to Work
Supervisor (Former Employee), Romulus, NYNovember 27, 2012
Pros: excellent pay
Cons: physically/emotionally demanding
This job is very emotionally and physically demanding, not for the weak at heart. Involved a lot of physical restraints with children. Injuries do occur, but if you have a good team can be lots of fun.
Overall a good place to work
YCP 1 (Former Employee), NYAugust 22, 2012
Pros: free meals, good benefits
Cons: no breaks
I thought as an adult I would teach children whatever they needed...however I found that they could teach me just as much. The children here had behavioral difficulties and at times they were very trying...Just sitting talking with them and getting to know them was a great part of the job. Building relationships with them was even better. When they became upset I was always willing to listen and not judge their behavior. When they would become angry I was able to utilize my relationship and bring them to a point where they could talk and not act out....I always felt good when that happened. Co-workers always had your back in difficult situations. Management I found at times to clicky...they promoted people with how they knew them not by their abilities. Overall...I loved my job..loved dealing with the clients!
Terrible place to work
Relief Sociotherapist (Former Employee), Auburn, NYMay 21, 2012
Pros: clients
Cons: culturally not accepting
I enjoyed working w/clients at Hillside. However the majority of my Co workers were very immature and didn't promote me because I wasn't in the "in crowd!"
ok place to work
Social Worker (Former Employee), Rochester, NYMay 11, 2012
Some programs work hard to make worklife flexible so you can care for your personal needs without much difficulty. However, there is no job security no matter how long you work there, or how well you do.
Great place to learn
Program Support Specialist (Current Employee), Rochester, NYMay 4, 2012
Pros: learning about mental health services, being able to charge breakfast and lunches.
Cons: not be able to advance within my department
Communication with programs throughout the day. Very productive. I learned many things, especially from my supervisors. Without them I would not be the person I have become. One of the most important skills is how to improve the quality of my work and my use of time management. I taught many of my co-workers as well as learned from them about the different programs, funders and how they serve our clients and families. Looking at my years with Hillside I realize that being a non-profit organization there is no room for growth, although it is a learning experience that only has improved my skillset.