Hillside Family of Agencies Employee Reviews

typical work day
Mentor for youth (Current Employee) –  NYJanuary 2, 2016
A typical day at work would follow coming in, checking emails, get a run down on what is planned for the youth that day, check what youth are there and what youth are on home visits or off campus, room checks making sure youth have a clean room so that they are elligable for any groups, slots witch include games, arts and crafts etc. Passing out dinner, making sure chores get done, making phone calls one on one with youth to their families, case workers or school district. Bedtime routine around 730pm making sure all bed time meds are taken and making sure all youth get a bed time snack. 15 minute room checks start when all youth are in their rooms for the night.
Pros
transports to dinner, fun activites
Cons
restraints
Resource Group team member (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 27, 2015
Seeing kids and families change and grow and know you were able to assist them is the best feeling in the world. I have seen families come back together, kids graduate from high school after having been deemed very unlikely to do so, kids getting reunited with a father they never knew, new young employees growing into mature high performing staff members, and lots more.
Pros
senior management asks for feedback and acts on it
Cons
some really sad situations
I love My job
Partner Service Operator (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 21, 2015
Hillside has a lot to offer their employees!! the benefits are great and the pay is excellent...they provide great training so you can prosper on the Job
Supporting the youth in the unit and providing supervision.
Youth Care Professional 3 (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYNovember 17, 2015
I supported the youth in the residential treatment facility including teaching life skills and independence skills.
Pros
Great team
Horrific.
Youth Advocate (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 16, 2015
Worse experience ever. Lacks authenticity towards meeting students academic goals.
Would not recommend. Dangerous work environment. Unsupportive management.
Pros
Working with yourh; making a difference.
Cons
Incompetent management. Low pay.. Last minute decisions on overtime pay vs flex time.
Fun Place to Work-- so rewarding!
Intern- Youth Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Romulus, NYJune 16, 2015
Working with youth on a daily basis is not easy, but doing it at Hillside is a great experience. Working at Hillside gives individuals the chance to work with youth who are often forgotten about or not given attention. It gives you a chance to make a difference in people's lives on a daily basis.
The rewards of human services
Senior Direct Support Proffessonial (Former Employee) –  Clarence, NYApril 9, 2015
This job was a self rewarding job I learned that assisting people with disabilities will gave a sense of purpose. Everyone co- workers and management worked together as a team to make sure children in the group home was completing goals towards their development. The hardest part was part was me not being able to fix situations that were out of my control, such as family issues that bothered the children. The most enjoyable was taking the children out it in the community and building bonds with them. They seemed to trust me and we had a lot of times during are community activities.
Pros
community activities, free lunches, benefits, working environment
Cons
Children family issues, Dealing with behaviors
They do great work
Registered Nurse I - Full time (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 17, 2015
This is a very difficult place to work. The children can be very sweet or very mean and you never know what you will get. I believe in what they do but there is never enough money or time to help these kids as much as they need help.
Pros
Co-workers are kind and supportive, pay is resonable
Cons
Difficult population of children and very stressful at times
fun work palce
Youth Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 16, 2015
you can learn a lot and gain a lot experiences, by working for the company. I enjoy going to work for this agency. great mangmenat, as well as co workers.
Pros
making a diffrence
Cons
ther children
All about who you work with.
Warehouse Driver (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 26, 2015
Work with great people, work under bad people. All of Hillsides problems stem from absolutely dreadful management. Management is majority composed of under qualified people who are either friends or family of other management. Management structure was dreadful as well, my department consisted of a workforce of five workers with three managers.
Fast Paced Environment working with unique children
Afternoon Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 6, 2015
During a typical shift, I was responsible for managing the structure of the daily schedule, dealing with emotionally tense situations, and training employees. I learned much about the importance of communication both with clients and coworkers. I developed exceptional de-escalation skills. It was challenging to work with aggressive youth who could become unsafe towards myself and others, but it was also extremely enjoyable to see the progress and accomplishments that I was able to help them achieve.
Snell Farm is great & staff supportive & friendly. Expectations for the nurse manager difficult to achieve with conflicting leadership.
Nurse Manager III (Former Employee) –  Bath, NYDecember 24, 2014
Arrive between 7-8am. Review emails, assess & see students with urgent medical needs.. Review requirements for each student (physicals, vision & dental appointments, HIV risk assessments, EKG or AIMS, immunizations or lab work) and accomplish as many tasks as possible. Gather required documents for preparation of youth discharge. When a youth is discharged, receive a new admission on the same day. Documentation of youth issues/complaints & treatment results whenever time allows, often at the end of the day. Call and mail parent & county consents for new treatments or medical procedures. Pass prn medications. Review med omission/error reports, medical incident reports. Keep in contact with supervisor at Rochester office regarding daily activities. With the assistance of the one and only support staff for the health office, review, order and enter new medications to unit's records for staff to administer.Consult nurse practitioner and psychiatrist for youth complaints, accidents, incidents, and medication issues. Input data into several databases. Check emails at noon and end of day (5-6pm). Receive 1-3 phone calls a week outside of work hours related to accidents or medication questions for staff. Attend staff and managerial meetings.
I learned about residential psych care and medications. I also learned that even though people say they want your input and honesty, they only want the positive side. Management can be empowering but frustrating. Co-workers want respectful, knowledgeable and kind leadership. The hardest part of this job was dealing with the lack of understanding
  more... and support from the leadership. They want results, not the complaints. The most enjoyable part of this job was managing the chaotic office and working with great people, including the youth.  less
Pros
the salary is good, paid time off is good, there is autonomy which includes some flexibility in hours worked.
Cons
no breaks due to the workload, the 24/7 on-call requirement, limited support from leadership.
Company doing good for the children of the area
Temporary Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 9, 2014
There were busy days and slow days depending upon the when the board meetings were. I was responsible for putting all the information for the board meetings together and making them look pleasing to the eye. All information needed to be in the proper place in the binder and every binder needed to be identical. I was able to pick up the basics of Power Point (which I hadn't used up until then) and was able to incorporate some of the uses for excel into their system to make some of their forms more user friendly. I helped organize the Superintendents day seminar, by setting up spreadsheets and plugging the information given into the right areas to make sure that all the teachers that were signed up were put into a classes that they wanted.
Pros
free breakfast after the board meetings
Cons
my assignment was temporary
exhausting
Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  NYJuly 25, 2014
this is a very tough job. Menatly draining and very little help from anyone. Managment leaves at four and gives you no help.
great job
Medical Biller (Former Employee) –  rochester nyMarch 30, 2014
excellent people working there. awesome oppurtunity to work at great company
Pros
work at own pace
Cons
short breaks
Productive and enjoyable work place
Medical Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  2075 Scottsville Road, Rochester, NYFebruary 27, 2014
Performed filing including medical filing and performed confirmation calls. I enjoyed all of my co-workers.
Pros
responsibility
Cons
no cons
Worked in a residential facility.
Program director, Mary Alice Schmidt (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 11, 2014
Worked with a team to supervise children at a residential facility. Maintained a structured environment.
A day at hillside
Youth Care Professional (Current Employee) –  Romulus, NYJanuary 23, 2014
watch kids and help them learn independent living skills. Work all the time.
It was fun and definitely hot.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 9, 2013
My co-workers were a joy to be around and I was able to have a new experiences such as emptying out apartments and cleaning the lawn.
Working with youth who have intelectul disablities
YOUTH CARE PROFESSIONAL (Former Employee) –  Rochester NYOctober 19, 2013
The direct support professional performs functions that assist in the care and treatment of children/youth and families with assisting children/youth to develop life and social skills in an group home setting.
Pros
engaging with the youth
Cons
hours and working weekends