Hillside Family of Agencies Employee Reviews

Specialist (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYOctober 4, 2017
Not a bad place to work. Culture needs some work. Working for a not for profit is very rewarding. The agency helps a lot of kids have better lives.
Direct Care
Direct Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 11, 2017
First position after graduate school for over a year. Enjoyed working with kids. Work was challenging at times due to severity of children's behaviors.
Helping the trouble youth
Human Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 28, 2017
At this job there will be alot of verbal redirection and paperwork. Great if you have a degree in human services and field work. You have to be a great listener.
Pros
Helping trouble adolescence
Cons
Challenging
Run! Don't do it if you know what's good for you
Youth Advocate (Former Employee) –  Greenbelt, MDJuly 14, 2017
Very high turn-over! Absurd expectations for very low pay! No ability to grow! Extremely stressful! Communication form management is terrible and you don't feel appreciated!
Pros
The students and the difference you make in their lives
Cons
Management is horrible and the pay is way too low for all that you do
Stressful work environment
Youth Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJuly 13, 2017
No concern for the staff, mental and emotional well-being. I was forced to work in a hostile work environment for the last 8 years I've worked. I dedicated 16 years to be terminated while on medical leave due to stress from working in a hostile work environment.
life and work balance
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 20, 2017
Hillside is a great place to work if you want to be able to help kids and enrich their life. If you want to have a normal life yourself whoever that is not the case. The hours and days of the shifts are not for everybody. I was working Friday-Monday 2pm till midnight and did not have time for my family and friends.
Pros
free food
Cons
hours and days
Difficult job with little positives. Doesn't allow you to make a true impact with the clients and is run with politics.
Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Romulus, NYJune 14, 2017
A typical day at work included being active with the clients and helping them with day-to-day activities.

I learned how to build quick and meaningful relationships with clients.

Management took on a god like role in order to control employees and benefit themselves and their friends.

Most employees had a very negative ideology when it came to their work and had a very negative ideology when it came to upper management.

The hardest part of the job was finding meaning for the job. Most employees went with the idea that they would make a difference, yet soon learn that the politics of the company make this impossible.

Being a part of this company was very disheartening, however, working with the clients was something that brought a sense of joy and happiness that a paycheck could not match.
Cons
No breaks, mandatory overtime, difficult to get time off.
great organization
Program Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 14, 2017
noble work is done here, I am learning quite a bit everyday and look forward to a great future with the organization! the staff is amazing and the programs are superior!
the children I worked with
Program Nurse (Former Employee) –  Scottsville NYJune 9, 2017
Typical day was administering medication to children periodically thruout the day..taking care diff situations if needed whether emergency situations or the children just needed someone listen to them or hold the(worked in early childhood center)..Worked well as a team with MD,NP,clinicians..keeping up on immunizations..NYS regulations...
Pros
The staff. I felt we were able to keep the children safe when they were in school
Cons
healthcare was expensive
Terrible management, no communication.
Youth Care Professional (Current Employee) –  Varick, NyFebruary 13, 2017
Working at Hillside can be enjoyable at times if you are able to develop a positive relationship with the youth you oversee. Although, if you are an overnight staff, specifically at the Varick Campus, don't expect to enjoy your job very much if any. Not only is the overnight management highly and immaturely prejudiced, but there is disturbingly poor communication. There is little to no communication between both management and day staff when it comes to keeping the overnights in the know. On top of that, overnight staff are the only ones whom the rules are enforced upon. I have no doubt it can be an enjoyable employment opportunity, although without the communication and sense of support and value, this job is certainly not worth the effort seldom few put in. The pay isn't much motivation either. A potential future employee's success at Hillside is sadly almost solely dependent on who their direct management is and what their relationship with said person is like.
Pros
Youth
Cons
Poor management, poor communication, no value of employees
Great workplace amazing people and managment.
Youth Care Professional (Current Employee) –  Romulus, NYFebruary 3, 2017
Great team work
Amazing support from managment
Great hours
Fun atmosphere.
Reliable team and support
Easy to move up in positions if you are a good staff
Pros
Working with developmentaly challanged kids!
Cons
Could get paid more
Eye opening
drug abuse, petty crime, and school placements (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 17, 2017
Hillside Family of Agencies is a great place to start, professionally speaking that is. Very diverse organization, with a variety of extremely beneficial programs. I started off as a youth care professional. I was not impressed with the job, I felt like a glorified babysitter. At the end of the day I learned a lot about myself personally and on a professional level.
Very cohesive team
Homefinding Specialist (Former Employee) –  Batavia, NYDecember 27, 2016
My typical day at work consisted in preparation of training materials, creating folders and assignments for prospective foster and adoptive parents to complete. Organizing and entering data into the computer program that kept track of records and documents. Developed plans which would assist in parent/parent, parent/child working relationships. Gathered information on clients; history, childhood background, completed psychosocial evaluations and wrote home studies on each individual certified by myself. Contacted references on applications, performed personal investigations on clients, ran criminal reports, inspected driver's licenses and locations of backgrounds. Certified and recertified approved clients' to become and maintain certification for fostering children. Visited homes to ascertain the safety of the home and was careful to note when inspections of the home needed to be completed and/or if hazards needed to be addressed in the home. Set up meeting times for certification classes, community events, reached out to local businesses, recruitment, joined and took responsibility in attending coalition and team meetings where we would be allowed to make suggestions on where and how budget monies would best be spent within and outside of the agency. Spoke with and advocated for staff and clients (parents) of children during meetings, dissolving any conflict/issues among staff/clients. I learned about assessments and how to gain individual while building a trusting repot with clients and staff members. The most difficult part of the job was trying to be different places for  more... meetings and keeping up with certification deadlines and requirements. The most rewarding part of the job was to see a child smile in contentment of placement into their new home.  less
Pros
Happy children and parents
Cons
Sad children and unhappy homes.
I love working at Hillside it is just a very long way to travel
Youth Care Professinal and school staff (Current Employee) –  Romulus, NYDecember 19, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my job is to see how I can make a difference with the youth who reside at Hillside. The management is great and always is there to listen and to help in any way possible. The hardest part of the job is not being able to separate work from my natural instincts of wanting to take so many youth home with me. My co-workers are awesome and I learn from them everyday.
Pros
The youth
Cons
The pay and the drive
Program Manager I (Former Employee) –  Penn Yan, NYNovember 15, 2016
Hillside is a strong employer to work for. The management in the outpatient program is supportive and works to develop professional development of their employees.
Pros
Good benefit package
Cons
hours
promotes a work/family life balance
Service Integrator (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYOctober 18, 2016
department screens youth for residential and community based school settings. Meets with families on a regular basis to identify needs and determine if program can meet those needs.
Good agencies to work for alot of diversty
Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYSeptember 16, 2016
A typical day of work at Hillside, meet with clients daily or monthly and complete and assessments, intake paperwork and care plans. Schedule and make appointment and manage outreach of 100
Pros
Felxability
Cons
Vacation time
I learned many skills while working here
Afternoon Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMay 4, 2016
It is exciting to be a part of children's lives, especially when they are in great need of positive role models. I enjoyed my time working here but learned that it was not a great fit for me.
Exciting, fast-paced environment
Youth Advocate (Current Employee) –  Prince George's County, MDMarch 17, 2016
Nothing is ever the same, and the students make the days exciting.
Fast paced, rewarding, stressful if you don't know how to plan your schedule and pace yourself.
A wonderful place to work, with Director of Operations who is committed to excellence, but also cares about the feelings of her staff.
On going building repair, with job secuirty
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 28, 2016
Assist in keeping buildings in full operational mode by providing quality installation of all facets of maintenance. Enjoyable staff and supervisors to work with.