Hillstone Restaurant Group

Hillstone Restaurant Group Employee Reviews

Efficient team based atmosphere
Head Wait/Check Wait Server (Former Employee), Park Avenue New YorkNovember 5, 2014
Pros: compensation
Cons: non existent work-life balance
The quality of recruited management is quickly dwindling. They lack a polished look, lack of professionalism, and a lack of accountability.

The company and the well established operations are incredibly efficient when trained and executed accurately. It is a team based environment that is motivating and supportive. Fortunately, with the lack of management leadership, the team runs effectively with natural leaders within the team.

The hours are long but the monetary compensations are consistent and desirable.

The biggest roadblock is when management lack the skill and know how to problem solve and think critically. This is especially unfortunate as the Management in Training Program is in depth and last for months. There are individual exceptions to the previous statement that have been recruited in previous years as opposed to the more recent hires.
Great experience, but desire more
Front of House Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 20, 2014
Pros: free lunches, paid vacation
Cons: no breaks, inconsistent schedule, unfavorable hours
Has led to great experiences being a manager for multiple restaurants, but crave for something more conceptual and intellectually stimulating.
Great learning experience in a fast paced environment
Manager (Former Employee), San Francisco, CASeptember 8, 2014
If you want to learn in a hands on, fast-paced and standard driven environment this is the place to work.
Application
Cook (Former Employee), CookJuly 12, 2014
I have sent many resumes when I see any adds for hiring, but they have never replied or even acknowledged having recirved them. I'm starting to think the company is a hoax!
A hospitality management institution. Militant and rigid, but pays extremely well and there is no experience like it.
Service and Bar Manager (Former Employee), Pompano Beach, FLJuly 10, 2014
Pros: unrivaled learning experience, develop a great network
Cons: management culture is only focused on negative
This is a company that is willing to go the extra mile and spend any amount of money imaginable to create extravagant and consistent guest experiences. The guest is first, no matter what, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

You may not learn much about a P&L, balance sheet or budgets; but you learn an incredible amount about having humility, respect, attention to detail, developing a vision, and taking pride in what you do. Hillstone provided the solid managerial foundation I needed in order to operate at a high level. The tools given to me here helped me be successful at other, less structured companies.

However, don't think you get this foundation without effort. With this company you only get out what you put in. You need to be able to adapt to different management styles, different clientele in different areas of the country, and you need to be willing to relocate.
A typical day at work
Internal Control Accountant (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZFebruary 20, 2014
I traveled to various locations to perform audits. I helped train new employees on various aspects of the audits.
Very flexible schedule, with excellent benefits and above average tips.
Trainer (Current Employee), Palm Beach, FLJuly 1, 2013
Pros: passionate staff. above average income.
Cons: in season, its a little overwhelming for new staff members.
My passion for both food and wine has been not only stimulated but has been allowed to flourish here. With continuing education, wine tastings and great comradery amongst the staff, both front and back of house, I could not have asked to have been part of a better establishment for the last decade of my life.
A typical day for me includes getting to work at 4:30pm, being in charge of training new staff and closing duties. We have a fairly small staff that at most times feels like a family. It has been most enjoyable spending time with fellow co-workers in and outside of work.
Los Altos Grill
Accountant (Former Employee), Los Altos, CAAugust 30, 2012
Great company

I loved the culture and the work ethic of all involved. The only reason I left was I had an opportunity elsewhere.