Hillstone Restaurant Group Employee Reviews

Manager (Current Employee) –  NJOctober 30, 2017
Great opportunity to advance and grow in the industry. Great management and training program. Upholds standards throughout company. Nice working environment with long hours, but worth the commitment.
Best Job I Ever Had
Internal Audit Intern (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 23, 2017
This company has a good reputation for a reason, they are beyond reasonable, talented in their craft, incredible culture, and organization of corporate departments. I had the best work-life balance, pay, benefits, and genuinely loved my job and the people I worked directly with. The company is highly regarded in the industry, so feel extremely lucky to be apart of any aspect of the restaurant group. I learned SO much due to the detail-oriented culture Hillstone is known for. Since the restaurant group is still privately held, the company operates like a family-owned business on a corporate scale. I interned with the company in college and was offered a position upon graduation, which required a relocation to the west coast and ended up being the reason I left.

I love this company and will hopefully go back in a few years! No other position is comparable to the position I had at Hillstone.
Pros
Free food, great benefits, travel for position, great colleagues, detail-oriented culture, great feedback on performance, training.
Cons
Relocation seems to be the only issue
Great service industry job
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 25, 2017
A relatively intense workplace because of high sales volume.
Strong training program, high standards, and quality managers. They rotate managers frequently from other stores.
Great company to work for with great people
Server (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 24, 2017
Well oiled machine. The management knows what they are doing and only hire the best of the best. The food and service is amazing, so people always come back and request certain servers.
Busy and long hours
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 15, 2017
Early mornings, Late nights, long hours
They train you to be an expert of the food industry
High compensation came with a demand for an extremely high level of performance
Pros
Gained a very very very high understanding of restaurant systems
Cons
Quality of life
Shift Leader/Trainer/Bar Tender (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAAugust 21, 2017
The people you work with are great. They have high standards of service so expect training to be difficult. But it's the best service and always busy.
Good money, bad management, overworked
Server (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDJuly 10, 2017
I've been a server before... They work the life out of you. You're an absolute work horse to the company. Wait your tables constants side work and teamwork. If you happen to go to the back of the house you must do something and tell them what you are doing at all times. You begin to feel like a robot. Teamwork is a very big deal to them. You get paid well but after all that you do each shift sometimes it doesn't seem worth it. Management is very disorganized. Also, It seems as though you can't tell which one is coming and which one is going. There's a huge turn over rate.
Training is a bit of a mess but everyone will keep telling you how worth the money it will be when you finish. Very motivating? Not. They do not value their servers at all.
Pros
Free/discounted food, good money, nice coworkers
Cons
No benefits, bad management, training
Very bad leadership and culture
Culinary Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 27, 2017
Not a good company. Poor leadership and training. Young managers with no real world management experience. Extremely bad culture in regard to inexperienced managers
Work Day
Server (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLJune 15, 2017
TEAM WORK! A typical day at work for me is based on professionalism and team work. Learning to work with a group of new people while pleasing others and keeping a positive attitude. Making people enjoy their new experiences is the number one goal for me and sometimes that can be a challenge but the bigger the challenge the better.
Second to None
Server and Bartender (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 14, 2017
Within my 20 year career in restaurants I have worked for some of the best. I was lucky. In my early 20's ( 20 years ago) I walked into Bandera in Denver's Posh Cherry Creek Area. I didnt think it was anything it turned out to be. Upscale , trendy and a true "be seen" bar area was my first impression. When I saw the menu I became very confused. It seemed a bit plain ...and almost boring . I wondered why people would wait 2 hours for red cabbage? Or peanut butter Cole slaw? Oh and don't forget the ...... cornbread??? HUH???? I soon realized that Bandera could sell anything and people would wait . The fact that they are incredibly selective and knowledgeable when choosing thier ingredients isn't even the start. It's almost obsessive how even an artichoke could be the subject of such maticulous standards. But it was! They really go miles beyond to ensure quality and consistent product.
As a server it was a war out there... Constantly being critiqued is par and normal. Infact you hear it from everyone. This place , not for sensitive souls. They scheduled an extra person every shift just so the server with the worst looking uniform would be sent home. Everyone I worked with was dressed pressed krimped and pimped lol ...and myself, already feeling outcast on day one but refused to give up.
Eventually you become immune to all the attitude and judgements and become one of them..calling out fellow servers who missed a refill opportunity or have first round drinks dying .... considered​ a servers #2 top priority only to running hot food. It becomes normal.. and soon
  more... you realize it's not personal, it's just how the team needs to be to keep the business at the highest level.
service was organized perfection and nothing less. 30 second table greets, 2 minute first round drinks, 6 minute apps...all such a standard I still remember them. Yelling hands back, drop and go , and backup the ho...all verbage used to influence everyone to perform.
By the time I left Bandera I was ranked the number 2 server and 3 bartender according to thier standards. With all the work and growth I had done they saw it. They recognized my work. I was one of the best and that felt good coming from where
I was when i started .With all that I gained from this company I went on to open Cheesecake Factory's as a service teacher, I managed Cruise Ship Dining Rooms and had my own successful Steakhouse for 8 years before selling it. That is only to name a few. Bandera's culture influenced me a great deal, and would recommend anyone to take it seriously and go for it... i wish I never left. Do the work. Put in the time. If only so you can see how good it feels when they finally see it.
Pros
Hours, money, teamwork
Cons
Rude customers, GM always changing, being judged
Do not value servers
Server (Former Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FLJune 10, 2017
The pay kicks butt at this place and I can take the long hours, but i cannot take working for a place that never has anything positive to say. If you work a double, get ready for 16 hours of high intensity work with no breaks. You cannot even sit down while you eat your dinner. And if you have an opening shift the next morning, see you in 8 hours. I had the highest tip percentage for four weeks straight and still the managers had nothing positive to say about me. Another weird thing I didn't like...they changed management all the time. And from what I hear, it was to prevent managers from getting "too close" to the employees. Why wouldn't you want management and employees to be close. I remember coming home and telling my wife, "this place makes me hate my life". Definitely for the strong hearted.
Pros
Good pay, free meals, gave me a lot of confidence
Cons
Little value for employees, very robotic and never a "fun" place
Great Opportunities if you're willing to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 26, 2017
The concept is second to none. Incredibly well thought out in every manor. Benefits and pay are well above the industry, but you work up to 70hour weeks in return leaving little time for a social life.
Pros
Great pay and benefits, free meals across the country, great on a resume
Cons
Long work weeks, overlapping layers of management
Great Growth Opportunities, Stressful Environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 18, 2017
At Hillstone it's possible for managers to be promoted to GM within 2 years. It's a company that has great growth opportunities, if you take advantage of it. It's a very fast-paced environment that doesn't tolerate mistakes and does not value work-life balance. However, if you are passionate about the work and hospitality, it is worth the lack of work-life balance. If not, it can be the most difficult job to handle.
Pros
Complementary meals, competitive salary
Cons
No work-life balance, cut-throat environment
Perfection
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 19, 2017
The strongest and most envied restaurant company in the country.

Consistency at its best. The most passionate company right now.
Efficient company
Server (Current Employee) –  Corona del Mar, CAFebruary 6, 2017
Fantastic company to work for, efficient management.
High company standards, great learning experience.
Expanded my knowledge on dine dining service.
Expanded my knowledge about art.
Team-like service standard.
Great money making position and great culture
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Yountville, CASeptember 8, 2016
The culture of the Hillstone Group is amazing. The restaurant feels like a family. They expect you to work hard and you WANT to work hard for them. Overall and amazing place to work to make great money.
Intense
Line Cook, Keyed culinary employee (Former Employee) –  Orlando, Boca Raton, Palm Beach, Pompano Beach, FLOctober 29, 2015
Hillstone is a great company to work for, if you can hack it. Pay is good, benefits are good, advancement opportunity is great.
This restaurant is HIGH volume HIGH stress.
You must adhere to strict dress code and quality standards.
Would recommend to friends and family.
Great place for hardworking people with busy schedules
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 26, 2015
This place can allow you a lot of free-time to get into many other areas of your life. I always enjoyed it but it required that you showed up with a smile, perfectly dressed and ready to hustle.
Pros
Free food every shift, always something tasty, salmon, salad etc.
Cons
The intensity every single shift
Extremely high standards for food and service
Manager (Former Employee) –  NapaAugust 26, 2015
Excellent company to work for and learn about every aspect of the Hospitality Industry. Have met incredible people over the many years with the company. Incredibly fast paced, ability to multi task is essential.
Excellant company, managed extremely well
Maître D'/Trainer/Server (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJune 18, 2015
I have been at Hillstone for 10 years for a reason. It is highly organized, well managed and we only hire professional, hard working and personable people, which makes coming to work a pleasure.