Hillstone Restaurant Group Employee Reviews

Extremely high standards for food and service
Manager (Former Employee) –  NapaAugust 26, 2015
Excellent company to work for and learn about every aspect of the Hospitality Industry. Have met incredible people over the many years with the company. Incredibly fast paced, ability to multi task is essential.
Excellant company, managed extremely well
MaĆ®tre D'/Trainer/Server (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJune 18, 2015
I have been at Hillstone for 10 years for a reason. It is highly organized, well managed and we only hire professional, hard working and personable people, which makes coming to work a pleasure.
Positive work environment with great coworkers and great guests.
Bartender (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 14, 2015
A typical day of work consists of setting up the bar for service, which takes about an hour. Lunches at Hillstone are extremely busy and fast paced. As a bartender we make sure to give everyone the best service, every time. We take orders, clear dishes, make cocktails for our guests and the servers, handle money and complete sidework at the end of each shift.

I have learned a great deal of patience from working in a restaurant. It is important to be sure that you are giving every guest an enjoyable experience. I have also learned the art of multi-tasking. And one of the most important skills I have curated is the ability to be even keel in all situations.

I have been working with the same general manager for the past three years at my restaurant. Over time I have really gained a lot of insight from him on how to deal with guests and employees. The assistant managers and bar managers change often as Hillstone likes to move people around often so that the restaurants don't become stagnant. This has been an interesting lesson in learning to work with all different types of people.

My co-workers are honestly my favorite part of my job. I have had the privilege of working with a group of really amazing men and women. Hillstone gives everyone a personality test before they hire them, which ensures that we all have a similar work ethic and temperament. Some of my closest friends have come from this job and I am sure will remain to be my closest friends long after I leave.

The hardest part of the job is being able to please the guests that are a bit more difficult than others. When  more... faced with a difficult guest, I always remind myself that everyone has more going on that what meets the eye. In those situations I do my best to remain positive and put into perspective that the guest may be going through something really hard at work or at home. This makes it easy to ensure that everyone is treated with the same respect and good service every time.

The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to know about the regular guests, their families, and what they do outside of their dining experience. I have always enjoyed people and this is truly the best place to get to know people.  less
Pros
flexibility in schedule, wonderful regular clientele
Cons
often short-staffed and management changes often.
Efficient team based atmosphere
Head Wait/Check Wait Server (Former Employee) –  Park Avenue New YorkNovember 5, 2014
The quality of recruited management is quickly dwindling. They lack a polished look, lack of professionalism, and a lack of accountability.

The company and the well established operations are incredibly efficient when trained and executed accurately. It is a team based environment that is motivating and supportive. Fortunately, with the lack of management leadership, the team runs effectively with natural leaders within the team.

The hours are long but the monetary compensations are consistent and desirable.

The biggest roadblock is when management lack the skill and know how to problem solve and think critically. This is especially unfortunate as the Management in Training Program is in depth and last for months. There are individual exceptions to the previous statement that have been recruited in previous years as opposed to the more recent hires.
Pros
compensation
Cons
non existent work-life balance
Great experience, but desire more
Front of House Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 20, 2014
Has led to great experiences being a manager for multiple restaurants, but crave for something more conceptual and intellectually stimulating.
Pros
free lunches, paid vacation
Cons
no breaks, inconsistent schedule, unfavorable hours
Great learning experience in a fast paced environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 8, 2014
If you want to learn in a hands on, fast-paced and standard driven environment this is the place to work.
Application
Cook (Former Employee) –  CookJuly 12, 2014
I have sent many resumes when I see any adds for hiring, but they have never replied or even acknowledged having recirved them. I'm starting to think the company is a hoax!
A hospitality management institution. Militant and rigid, but pays extremely well and there is no experience like it.
Service and Bar Manager (Former Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FLJuly 10, 2014
This is a company that is willing to go the extra mile and spend any amount of money imaginable to create extravagant and consistent guest experiences. The guest is first, no matter what, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

You may not learn much about a P&L, balance sheet or budgets; but you learn an incredible amount about having humility, respect, attention to detail, developing a vision, and taking pride in what you do. Hillstone provided the solid managerial foundation I needed in order to operate at a high level. The tools given to me here helped me be successful at other, less structured companies.

However, don't think you get this foundation without effort. With this company you only get out what you put in. You need to be able to adapt to different management styles, different clientele in different areas of the country, and you need to be willing to relocate.
Pros
unrivaled learning experience, develop a great network
Cons
management culture is only focused on negative
A typical day at work
Internal Control Accountant (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 20, 2014
I traveled to various locations to perform audits. I helped train new employees on various aspects of the audits.
Very flexible schedule, with excellent benefits and above average tips.
Trainer (Current Employee) –  Palm Beach, FLJuly 1, 2013
My passion for both food and wine has been not only stimulated but has been allowed to flourish here. With continuing education, wine tastings and great comradery amongst the staff, both front and back of house, I could not have asked to have been part of a better establishment for the last decade of my life.
A typical day for me includes getting to work at 4:30pm, being in charge of training new staff and closing duties. We have a fairly small staff that at most times feels like a family. It has been most enjoyable spending time with fellow co-workers in and outside of work.
Pros
passionate staff. above average income.
Cons
in season, its a little overwhelming for new staff members.
Los Altos Grill
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Los Altos, CAAugust 30, 2012
Great company

I loved the culture and the work ethic of all involved. The only reason I left was I had an opportunity elsewhere.

4.2