Hilmar Cheese Company Employee Reviews in United States

great
Milk Receiver (Former Employee) –  Hilmar, CAJanuary 29, 2016
this is a fantastic place to work it gives you the comfort of a nice working place, great staff and employees make you feel like family
Trying to live life as a Hilmar Cheese Employee
Utility Operator/ Sanitation (Current Employee) –  Hilmar, CAOctober 15, 2015
Is not easy at all, Unfair advancement within the company. Its always too hot and the management can careless. Constantly getting called in on days off.
Pros
Pay/Benefits
Cons
Everything else
Only pay and benefits are good here everything else sucks.
Protein Operator (Former Employee) –  Hilmar, CAJuly 14, 2015
Boring job, poor management, rude work crews. Long hours. spend your days off adjusting to sleep schedule. kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
productive day
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Cold BoxJune 26, 2015
Loading trucks and receiving products. Hardest part was time management. cheese manufacturer. rotating shifts, time away from family. worked holidays.
Big Company that doesn't recognize hard working employees
Supply Chain (Current Employee) –  Hilmar, CAJune 5, 2015
There is something to be said about being able to work at a large company that offers great benefits, however, your talents will be overlooked and you'll become "just another number". Management can do pretty much whatever pleases them (even if against company policy) and HR will back them up. If you speak up, you'll be pigeon holed, until they can fire you, so you may as well look for another job.
Pros
Good pay, good benefits
Cons
Poor Management, No advancement opportunities
Production worker (Current Employee) –  Dalhart, TXMarch 3, 2015
Work life/ balance not in the employees favor at all. Compensation is good, management is ok depending on the shift you get
Great benefits, nice pay.
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Dalhart, TXJanuary 28, 2015
Great benefits, too far to drive (90 miles roundtrip everyday). Supervisor was very unprofessional. Used very foul language and upper management did nothing.
Pros
great benefits.
Cons
supervisor unprofessional
Busy and productive
Milk Receiver Operator (Former Employee) –  Dalhart, TXOctober 5, 2014
A typical day consists of unloading milk tankers into the silos and then washing and sanitizing the tankers afterwards. Before the milk can be unloaded, it must pass the incubation test to ensure that there is no present antibiotics or other harmful pathogens in the raw milk. My co-workers and I would work together to get everyone unloaded and on their way in a timely matter. The hardest part of the job was attaching the hoses on and off the tankers. The most enjoyable part of the job was when you see all of the raw milk coming in and knowing that it will be made into cheese and you were a part of that process.
Pros
over-time and benefits
Cons
short breaks
Visitor Center Employee/ Fun Environment, Great Coworkers
Retail Barista/ p/t caterer (Current Employee) –  Visitor Center Hilmar, CaApril 22, 2014
I work in the visitor center and have been for a while now. My experience has been great So far. The company is owned by wonderful people and some of the most humble I've ever met, and the managers in the visitor center are all really nice. One thing that I have noticed is that there is a chance to move around to other departments within the company if you start here; you are not "trapped" if you do not enjoy it and there are many opportunities within the other areas of the company whether it be production, maintenance, or office work. Something that bothers me is the way the managers choose leaders here. Sometimes there is no sense in the decision, and most of them are based off superiority, so many times people who are less qualified but have been with the company longer are the ones rewarded regardless of another employee who has an education and more combined experience elsewhere. Coworkers are all pleasant to be around and their positive attitude rubs off on you and the customers. It is a fun chance to meet a variety of people from around the whole world and a great way to learn more about the productivity of the company and dairy industry in general. Lots of fun on a daily basis!
Pros
free coffee. fast paced and fun work environment, never a dull day.
Cons
short breaks, sometimes even too busy to take them, some managers have a tendency to put people down sometimes but not always, could pay better
Professional company.
Entry Level Production (Former Employee) –  Hilmar, CAFebruary 4, 2014
Hilmar Cheese Company is the World's largest cheese maker. The staff and management are very cordial and professional when coming to meet deadlines and goals.
an ok place to work
Facilities Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Dalhart, TXMay 21, 2013
it is an ok place to work. great benefits but a little shifty on managment
Very good training program in place
Dryer Operator, Packaging (Former Employee) –  Dalhart, TXMay 17, 2013
I had to find other employment due to my Wife's medical issues. If it wasn't for that I would still be working there.
Pros
supervisors and managers were easy to get along with.
Cons
12 hour shifts made it difficult for me and my wife's medical needs.
Central Receiving (Former Employee) –  Dalhart, TXApril 4, 2013
The job was not bad very well compensated.
The hours were also good.
Good managers
Some disgruntled employees though
Good Job Security
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Protein DeptMarch 18, 2013
There has never been a layoff in the companies history. The company is based on it's culture and core values. Management is fair and competent and employees generally have a good nature. Positive attitude and strong work ethics are recognized and rewarded. The most difficult part of the job is the hours since it is a 24/7 production facility.
Pros
good wages and benefits.
Cons
rotating shifts, long hours, hot environment.
Normal factory environment with extreme Good Manufacturing Practices
Forklift Operator/Warehouseman (Former Employee) –  Hilmar, CAMarch 8, 2013
Large facility with lots of places to learn and grow. Nation wide company that strides to create the best cheese and cheese services to the country. At the time I was employed there were over 500 employees making it a great place to interact with lots of different personalities.
Pros
good pay scale with chance of recognition for hard work
Cons
rotating shifts
fast speed production company
Plant 1 Operator (Former Employee) –  Hilmar, CADecember 19, 2012
typical day of production is very well, nice pace, nice flow until management decided to raise flow of cheese. i learned there was alot of supervisors that were greedy or favored certain people. Favored people would leave early from work, call in whenever they wanted or make their own schedule. If you werent on the good side of a supervisor itd be easy to see. co workers were good, as a team we should work together but at times people were all for themselves and not as a "team" hardest part about the job would be days when flow was fast, had to work double and never be recognized for the job you were doing.
Pros
great benfits and salary
Cons
greedy people and management
Fast Paced and Technically Challenging and Ever Evolving Work Environment
Production Supervisor in Cheese Plants (Former Employee) –  Hilmar, CASeptember 18, 2012
As a production supervisor I would start my day by assigning my direct reports to their positions in the operation for the day. This was usually 14 to 20 employees and spanned Cheese make, all the way through final packaging. Then I would spend my very jam-packed day (a good thing, as the hours flew by) completing checklist of the process and working with maintenance personnel to ensure equipment was repaired as critically applicable. On the night shift, you were the person, the one everyone came to for anything they might need and during the day you had a small support staff that could assist you when urgently needed. I would also provide oncoming crews with all the relevant information they might need for a shift, such as this has broken down, so we will have to move product around it. I prepared the facility for external and internal audits with my team of employees and dealt with tough staffing situations and Human Resource concerns as they arose.

I learned a great deal about how to manage a shift of employees that were sometimes younger than I, but more often than not much older. I learned a lot about employee relations and how to deal with delicate situations in the work place.

I worked closely with a very top notch management team and I was able to learn a lot from them, through their coaching. I also had the extreme pleasure of working with some of the most skilled and professional people I have ever met, my co-workers were amazing people who taught me a lot.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with uncharted territory on the fly at the speed of production, it
  more... was very difficult to manage the situation when there were 20 things going on and the call had to be made quickly, that being said I got used to the fast paced things and was able to handle it better as time went on.

The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to work with the operators and teach them about milk processing and getting to also learn from the great wealth of knowledge they had. It was also a great feeling of accomplishment when you were able to work around something and come out on top, making that extra widget in a days work.
Pros
fast paced working conditions that made time fly and a very professional staff.
Cons
some days were far too fast and it was very, very hard to keep up, but i suppose every job has that form time to time. all in all not much to report here.
Productive workplace
Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXMay 8, 2012
Kept busy all day.
Worked well with different departments.
Management helped on a daily.

4.2