Who We Are/What We Do
Founded in 1975, the Hispanic Scholarship Fund provides scholarships to Latino students, as well as related support services. More specifically, we seek to give students all the tools they need to apply to college, do well in their course work, graduate, enter a profession, excel, help lead our nation going forward, and mentor the generations to come. As the nation’s largest not-for-profit organization supporting Hispanic-American higher education, HSF has awarded over $430 million in scholarships. We also provide a range of ancillary programs for candidates, scholars, and their families to serve their needs before, during, and after college. These include community-based programs, on-campus resources, and Web-based services. We further strive to make college education a top priority for every Latino family across the nation, mobilizing our community to proactively advance that goal – each individual, over a lifetime, in every way he/she can.
Searching for a full stack developer/software engineer with recent development on either PHP/Ruby and have solid integration capabilities.. This position will help us achieve our goal of using the best technology to support our operations.
- Work with other teams, such as our Data Scientist, Web Developers, and Business Analysts, to provide solutions to support our functional groups.
- Prevent and detect errors
- Build scalable software through architecture discussions with the development team
- Perform Test-driven development
- Continuous integration
- A desire to make work fun and enjoyable; this is our top requirement, what we deem to be the principle driver of excellence
- Participation in all aspects of an agile environment
- Believe learning and continuous improvement
- Active in the tech community (attendance of events, blog reader + commenter, open source project contributor, etc.)
- Demonstrates ability to solve problems using the best technology available
Technical - Minimum
- Recent development experience on web platform PHP/Ruby along with 3-5+ years of overall experience in Ruby software development
- Solid integration capabilities using open source or off- the-shelf ETL software.
- Structured Databases for Analytics, MySQL or other similar
- Experience with enterprise data warehousing
- Experience with Automation and Testing (unit, integration, usability).
- Knowledge of distributed version control systems
- Experience with Amazon Web Service environment
Technical - Preferred
- NoSql design and deployment experience (MongoDB, RavenDB, CouchDB, etc…), a plus
- Ability to also have worked in a relational database environment
- Centralized caching strategies using proven solutions (Redis, Memcached, etc…), a plus
- Experience with automation and testing (unit, integration & usability)
- Knowledge of distributed version control system
- Experience with an Amazon Web Service environment
- Experience with CoffeeScript and MVC frameworks a plus
- Bachelors Degree in Software Engineering, Programming, Development, Information Systems preferred
- 5-10 years of experience working in an IT shop
- 5-10 years of experience with databases, integration software, data mapping, data modeling
- 5-10 years of experience with software development lifecycle
- You value testing and documentation
- You Love Open Source
- You’re organized and able to make smart decisions
- You take interest in systems and scalability
- You have a love/hate relationship with relational database
- Able to deliver amazing results with minimal guidance and supervision
- Passionate (especially about web development!), highly motivated, and fun to work with
- A hacker. Have you built something cool lately? Show us!