Hitachi Data Systems Employee Reviews

Great company, great product set but difficult to get things done, and to advance
Practice Director, Content Enablement (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAOctober 2, 2014
The product set created by HDS over the years has actually outpaced giants like EMC and IBM in the pat 5 years. It is truly a winning company. The flaws that I am sensitive to are not in how we create products, or integrate them into our customer's infrastructures. The cultural elements within HDS that make is stable, and seem to provide a large cushion (work-life-balance) for some, are the very ones that I feel keep HDS from progressing more quickly in the storage and cloud services market. Here are some bullets to describe working there:
1) In my role, a typical day does not exist. I provide thought leadership to sales and pre-sales teams in support of their sales efforts, and most of the work involves educating people about technology.
2) I have learned a great deal about content technologies, and how they will replace the standard way of storing data. Nothing else can keep up with the growth. I have also learned that IT organizations are no longer purchasing in the same CAPEX spending patterns as five years ago, and are truly going towards cloud strategies, despite the analysts's pessimism.
3) Management is great, responsive, but their hands are tied, as this is a Japanese company, and all big decisions are still made in Japan. This has been softening somewhat in the past 2-3 years, but it is not autonomous yet. For example, no one has had any kind of merit pay increase in over 6 years. This is not sustainable, and many top employees have left recently.
4) My coworkers, or colleagues are extremely talented and professional. It is truly an honor to work with them.
5) The
  more... hardest part of the job is really getting what I'd like to get done done, since there is a limit of hours in the day. Sales is not an exact science, so effort needs to be measured and balanced so that impact to the sale can be optimized. This is hard to do all the time, and on many occasions, investments in time and effort and capital are made that are lost when the sale does not go through. It's hard to lose when it costs to lose, but there is not other way to succeed.
6) Clearly the most rewarding part of the job are those times when I am able to execute of strategies that I created and executed as part of an efficient, cohesive team.
Pros
strong product portfolio, sound go to market strategies
Cons
difficult to get things done internally, no pay increases for many years
Hitachi Data Systems - 100 Best Places to Work in Silicon Valley
Sr. Strategic Alliance Operations Analyst (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAFebruary 17, 2014
I have to boast that HDS is considered one of the best companies to work for in Silicon Valley! Sadly, I am looking to relocate to be closer to family.

My main functionality is more of an Inside Channel Operations Support Manager which helps develop and execute the strategic sales and marketing plans for key accounts. The key account sales and marketing plans will support, and be derived from, the Business Plan outlined by the business initiatives set be the company. I am responsible for managing key areas of the business relationships with target accounts and will work closely with the various business departments in an effort to maintain and further develop the relationships with the key accounts. I manage multiple sales functions to achieve strategic sales targets while working closely with the Channel Sales organization, Finance, Legal, Marketing and Global Enablement to provide integrated programs that support the sales effort. I act as the central contact with assigned key accounts and acts as a liaison between the various HDS departments and the assigned accounts to ensure sales growth and operational efficiency.
Pros
employees and the "family" atmosphere working within hds
Cons
internal operating systems we use don't necessarily give us data easily, work around = ad hoc reporting as a result
IT Architect (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAJanuary 14, 2015
I was responsible for defining and planning IT Architecture strategy of the enterprise, managing application and infrastructure technology stacks, preparing future state technology roadmaps and business cases for acquisition of new technologies. Develop and document the framework for integration, Provide in-depth technical consultation to clients and IT management to ensure development of efficient systems, obtain consensus from stakeholders, IT Operations, Business Liaisons, and IT Leadership. In this Role I have started Enterprise Architecture practice building a formal EA process. Improved the PMO practices and communication between teams in the matrix environment, which has led to increasing the number of simultaneous projects and average billable hours. Implemented and enforced Corporate Security and Risk management methodology encompassing technology and application platforms. Responsible for identifying and driving opportunities and revenue by developing relationships with the senior executives (CxO & VPs) and the architecture teams to understand their key business processes, initiatives, and competitive solutions.
Start of a great career
Technical Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Poway, CADecember 29, 2014
Since starting at HDS I've been impressed by the amount and quality of training I am receiving. The resident experts have been incredibly helpful when I'm not sure about a new topic and have really gone the extra mile to be available. There seems to be lots of opportunity for growth and the company is still growing. Also one of the key factors that helped me decide that this was the place for me was the Tenure of a number of people in the company. More than a few people have put in 20-30 years in just this company. IF that doesn't tell you it's an amazing company to work for, I don't know what will.
Pros
great people, great work environment, pay, benefits
Great office, gym on-site, Japanese garden
Sr Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAMarch 14, 2013
Hitachi Data Systems has wonderful executive team, great environment, culture and senior leadership which cares about people. However, it depends on one's manager and the situation in one's team. I like to focus on positive side in life, so do not want to be critical here, since individual decision of some people and the company itself are two different things. Overall, HDS is a great place to work.
Pros
great bring your kid to work day and bring your dog to work day
Very busy company and good benefits
Data Entry/Scheduler/Customer service (Current Employee) –  Norman OkApril 1, 2013
This company is a very very busy place to work. Very detailed oriented and constant focus on attention to detail. My day consist of reading around 300 emails a day and scheduling work loads for shipment. I also create software keys for storage systems. The hardest part of this job the hours. There are times when a lot of overtime is needed due to extensive work loads.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
unstable work, no personal life
Progressive, value based organization. Great place to work and lots of very smart people in the HR organization.
Learning and Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CASeptember 11, 2012
Given many opportunities to grow and explore new areas of the job. Entire team was aligned with the overall direction of the department and all wanted were working towards the company's goals. Enjoyed my co-workers and management team.
Pros
great opportunities to try new a new approach and challenged to work outside of my comfort area.
Cons
management took too long to make decisions
It is a great and fun.
Payroll Leader & Specialist (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara CASeptember 18, 2013
Payroll is a great an fun place to work, I enjoy working with numbers and people. We have a great group in payroll department. We have a lot of deadline but together we are managing it. There is always something to learn at any payroll department (from payroll law to employee request). The most enjoyable part of the job is when I respond to employee and make him/her happy.
Pros
quarterly out going
Cons
hard to find one
Ethical Company, Great perks!
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco Bay AreaSeptember 1, 2015
Nice place to work, great benefits and a top notch Executive Team! HR Department is always striving to keep employees engaged and happy. Made the Best Places to Work list continuously since 2011. Hardest part of the job is just the commute to the office on a day to day basis. Best part of the job is the employees; always happy to be here, willing to help and engaged.
Pros
Work Life Balance, Benefits, Perks, Ethical Company
Cons
My commute, not much room for advancement
Hitachi
Senior Solutions Consultant (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 8, 2013
HDS sells the most stable solutions in the industry. The sales teams and technical support staff are knowledgeable and helpful. HDS has built up the New England District over the last several years to be very successful and profitable. They are struggling to add additional resources to the WNY part of the district to add to that sucess.
Pros
good people and great products.
Cons
inability to staff some parts of the sales district.
basic 8-5 job
Mac Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAMarch 17, 2013
This is one of the companies where people can't wait to get to friday and have a day off.
management level is okay, though IT team was never asked to provide overall feedback to make the job better. Hence IT team has no motivation to work
Pros
benefits (if you use them), gym
Cons
poor management
Good place to work if you like the "cowboy" approach
Infrastructure Department (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAMarch 13, 2013
The infrastructure department is lead by a CIO that couldn't care less about his own departments or the infrastructure. For an IT company the network is about 70% at best. Personal garbage runs the company. I do not recommend working for the company. The parent company, Hitachi, is a better place to work.
Cons
direction and leadership does not exist
Great coworkers and benefits
Sr. IT Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAFebruary 13, 2013
Great co-workers in both immediate team and extended global offices! The HQ location offers a new gym and beautiful cafeteria plus fun activtities through out the year.

The biggest challenge is lack of growth in IT positions and understaffing/compressed timelines on large visibility projects.
Pros
gym and great cafe
Cons
understaffed
Perfect Life Balance, but not much Job Security
Financial Analyst/Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cookeville, TNApril 23, 2014
While I loved my time with Hitachi Data Systems (HDS), my entire team was laid off shortly after we were all assured there would be no lay offs.
Pros
great benefits and work schedules
Cons
no one's job is safe
Great and supportive environment
Lab Intern (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 17, 2013
I'm only an intern for the summer, but I would say that I enjoy what I'm doing in support of the GSS support engineers at the Sandbox lab in San Jose, CA. Great people and overall interesting environment.
Pros
bagel fridays, coffee, and free soda
Cons
construction nearby has cost me two tires. (nails)
Good Learning experience and competitive environment
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 12, 2013
I have learned to do my day to day work on my own without waiting for the instructions from my manager, hence I could enhance my hidden abilities to find my own way out.
The hardest part of the job was being competitive enough in highly qualified team members.
Good place-To the point
Sr. Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAFebruary 26, 2015
Learned a lot from my peers. Great work atmosphere for a big company. Grow and help each other toward a collective goal rather than a finger pointing attitude.
Pros
free quarter end lunches, cheap cafeteria, nice gym
Cons
busy management
was able to work 100% from home
IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  remoteFebruary 20, 2015
I was brought into Hitachi to manage a start up account with GE. I was responsible for managing the migration of 700 GE servers to Hitachi VSP storage. I was working 100% remote from home. The pay rate was excellent and the team I worked for was very good.
Wonderful organization
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  FLOctober 12, 2012
Since 1995, Hitachi Data Systems has introduced many innovations in IT technology, based on a firm understanding of your needs in the data center. These useful, dependable breakthroughs respect the trust our customers have with us.
Pros
great name
Cons
expensive
Great People, Great Environment
IT Intern - IT Solutions Deployment (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAMay 12, 2015
I have thoroughly enjoyed interning at Hitachi Data Systems for the past year, they are an outstanding company and you would be hard pressed to find much better in Silicon Valley.