Hitachi Employee Reviews

Needs Improvement
Senior Technical Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 9, 2017
Corporate is disconnected from Support and management has there hands tied when it comes to raises and overall Work life. This company needs Improvement.
I run grinders in Valve Guide Department, grinding valve guides down to customer's spec.
Machine Operator/ Former Group leader (Current Employee) –  Greensburg, INFebruary 19, 2017
A typical day in my job consist of maintaining daily quality of the parts I run and meeting daily totals. Recording my measurements on a PDS. and making any necessary machine adjustments needed to maintain quality according to customers specs. Repairing the machine and performing daily preventive maintenance on the machines I run.
Pros
Great benefits, job security
Cons
Work 7 days a week. Hard to advance in the company.
Lots of smart people, bad morale, company is too slow
Sales Operations (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAFebruary 4, 2017
I had a good 10 year+ run with HDS - they treated me well on the way out with my severance and thus I'm not reviewing to throw shade.
HDS is loaded with really sharp and impressive people. This being said, too many middle managers are simply protecting their little fiefdoms and are most intersted in covering their tails then doing what is best for the business. Moving projects and improvements forward is painfully slow and riddled with internal squabbling.
The 8 years of continual outsourcing to EMEA takes a big toll on morale and many people I know are simply sticking around for their packages at this point...writing is on the wall. The team I was on was a complete mess for three years but largely due to appaling management and ignorance from our senior manager. Real shame in the end. There needs to be a much more effective mechanism in place to properly review Mgmt. chains. They do what they like with minimal consequences. It's a real problem at HDS.
The future of HDS seems to be up in the air at this point...lots of internal changes with the changing focus of the business.
Pros
Benefits, remote flexibility
Cons
Unstable & changing business, Middle Mgmt.
Unsure Future
SENIOR SYSTEMS SUPPORT ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  Plainfield, INFebruary 7, 2017
HDS it going through a lot of changes at the moment as they transition from a hardware storage company to a services based organization. This can be intimidating and scary for many seeking job security. This, combined with outsourcing many IT positions overseas, may cause pause.
Pros
Decent benefits being California based Company
Cons
Not very career oriented
Large Global Corporation with Lack of Focus on Back Office Employees
Senior Human Resources Advisor (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COJune 10, 2016
The HR function does not invest in retaining talent. There have been over 20 employees who have quit in the past 3.5 years from 1 team in HR due to dissatisfaction in the job stemming from lack of room for growth, poor management, and unfair compensation. The CEO of HDS does believe in merit based compensation increases and the HR team does not believe in promoting employees from within. The leadership team of HDS does not believe in annual increases due to market changes either causing many employees to leave due to dissatisfaction in pay/benefits.The HR leadership team even admitted there is no room for career growth within the HR organization.
Pros
1 hour lunch, pretty flexible with time off
Cons
Low pay, no room for growth, poor management
Architect - Product Development (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAJanuary 18, 2017
Great place to work and employee benefits.Offers lots of career opportunities and options within the company to move around different groups to work on different tech.
Pros
This was what I consider hard factory work.
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, INDecember 6, 2016
I learned quite a bit about the factory life in this facility.
I liked the challenge of learning new tasks and being able to excel at them once trained.
The company has a very diverse culture of employees and I enjoyed the lessons and new experiences it taught me.
The factory itself in many areas was an extremely dirty place. It was this way because of the materials being used and the type of work being done.
Some of the other areas were much cleaner and easier to work in that others.
Pros
learning a lot of skills
Cons
working seven days a week, not being hired full time after years of employment
Poor Management
Security Specialist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJanuary 17, 2017
When I worked for this organization back in 2012 the management team did not seem to care at all about their employees. There weren't any promotional opportunities or programs in order to learn new skills and progress.
Excellent corporate citizen with a very diverse workplace.
Purchasing Agent (Contract Employee) (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 17, 2016
Great corporate culture with plenty of volunteering opportunities. Limited advancement opportunities or chances to learn new skills. Plenty of diversity.
Pros
Corporate citizen
Cons
limitied advancement opportunities
No growth unless you are at Corporate
Sales Operations Administrator-Global (Current Employee) –  Itasca, ILDecember 11, 2016
I've been trying to get promoted for years. I have done everything they've thrown at me and am always told I do a good job. Having said that, I haven't had a raise in 6 years....need I say more?
Pros
Flexible work/life
Cons
No annual raises
Good place to work,
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  New Albany, INJanuary 11, 2017
Good place to work, very fast paced. Management was great and will give you opportunities to advance. You will learn how to run multiple machines there
Pros
Job security, great supervisors, good pay
Cons
Indiana
productive place
MS BI developer (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAMarch 1, 2017
Good work place with good benefits, Good team members.

did not have much interaction with management

Moved then to another city
Alright
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  New Albany, INFebruary 21, 2017
Paid the bills, but did not get paid well and worked like crazy. Made over daily quota and never got a raise. Worked 65hours +.
Pros
Cons
pay
Best place to work for Warehouse position
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAJanuary 25, 2017
Working here really taught me the ins and outs of receiving and sending inventory. I had an important roll in creating labels and creating pallets, which in most warehouses arent the greatest but the environment here was terrific. The only concern I had here was with management. Certain personnel in charge were not responsible and inadequate for their position which didnt help with hours.
Pros
Training and environment
Diverse and stable
Senior Finance Analyst Specialist (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAFebruary 21, 2017
Great place to work overall - culturally diverse and many ops to work in team environment. Slow to advance in some cases, however, stable employment environment. Amenities on site and centrally located close to Airport, Restaurants and accommodations.
Pros
On site amenities include Cafe and Gym, outdoor courts, coffee stations
Cons
Advancement Ops are often limited for Senior Level Individual Contributors
Challenging Enviroment
Chemical Technician (Back up Cell Director) (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 10, 2016
This company gives you a job security because they always have work, but there is much pressure and time manners to get the job done. The salaries are below average.
Pros
Free lunches once per week, secure job
Cons
Expensive Benefits
OK to work.
Senior Engineer/Scientist (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 15, 2016
Typical work day would be one or more project meetings, work planning for the week, code development, weekly progress report

I strengthened my skills in client/server design

Management was fair

Co-workers were OK, but culture a bit secretive

The hardest part of the job was project definitions

The most enjoyable part of the job was the freedom to choose the languages and coding styles of my like.
Pros
Easy projects, good compensation
Cons
A bit of secretive culture probable left over from IBM
Company in chaos
Master Solution Consultant (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CADecember 6, 2016
This company is going through some tremendous challenges. As hardware profits continue to decrease at an alarming rate, drastic changes are needed to keep this company afloat. The leadership takes forever to make decisions. The company is driven by Hitachi Ltd from Japan where agility doesn't exist. Job security remains the highest risk.
Great culture, incredible people
Automation Engineer (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAJanuary 12, 2017
A typical day of work would be a mix of meetings and software development/testing. Learnt quite a lot about industry products/infrastructure as well as improving upon in-house tools. Loved the culture as well as the co-workers, would definitely be hard to find better co-workers than these.
Pros
Free snacks on Mondays and Fridays, until they last.
Cons
Underpaid
Lacks culture
Senior Manager,America's Renewals (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAFebruary 16, 2017
Many people who have worked only at Hitachi and never outside the company. Many operational issues that causes them to be very tactical. Too many people hired because of relationships and not skill sets
Cons
top down management that is very reactive

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hitachi. Our community is ready to answer.