HMSA Employee Reviews

Disappointment. High turn over. Mismanaged.
Software (Current Employee) –  undisclosedApril 26, 2017
Pros: indoor gym. Friday afternoon Farmer's market.
Free water from a dispenser.

Cons:
IT Department: Only hired you to work a lot of hours, whether needed or not. It makes management look good to have few people that work alot of hours.
Little to no training available, no matter what they tell you before your hired.
Benefits are poor. Indeed's high rating must be a reflection of previous benefits when there was a pension. Benefits are geared toward keeping you from leaving, not incentives to stay.

Old technology, and non-standard software with multiple applications doing the same job. This makes the environment a career killer. Two years here will severely impact your IT career.
Micro management is encouraged in leadership.
10 year waiting list for parking
Employee work area looks and feels like cattle troughs
2 bathroom stalls for 200+ people. There's a constant battle for use.
Working from home is being phased out and refused by most managers.
High turn over.
Pros
Free water and Gym
Cons
Workplace Environment, work/life balance, benefits, growth potential, high turnover
Daily Work Day
Provider Data Administration (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMarch 2, 2017
Clock in, check if there is any mail. Contact any doctors that need to update their address. communicate with co-workers on NON-PAR and PAR applications.
Productive place
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIDecember 29, 2016
nice working environment,friendly co workers a lot of information to learn.hardest part of the job is there is a lot of training that is being done while just learning new information.
Great workplace!
Service Delivery Manager - Network, Telecom & UC (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIOctober 19, 2016
Good size company with great people ~ Love the life work balance as well a the many great mentors I am surrounded by. Family members are welcome to work in the same organization.
The Gym offers a great place to keep in shape with a personal trainer. Several free classes are offered. There are a couple of kitchens, several Lanais and one of the great feature is the caterers that are selling healthy foods and produces on sidewalk at lunch time- for a reasonable price. OVerall, great experience
Pros
Gym on site, many nice Lanais to have lunch, kitchen is great
Good place to start career
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIAugust 13, 2016
Great top 10 company in HMSA with competitive benefits. Advancement will require a mix of ongoing education, relationship management and working for the right boss.
Company does not have sufficient management
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMay 6, 2016
This company is approximately a decade behind from the mainland. The management does not manage nor do they try to bring most employees up to date on current processes and procedures. You could not PAY me enough to go back.
Pros
Live in Hawaii
Cons
Depression
Did not get to work here for a long period
RN Compreshensive Care Clinician (Current Employee) –  Kapolei, HIApril 5, 2016
HMSA was very fair in keeping the employees when acquired from Healthways Hawaii. They have been fair in our compensation and have afforded greater opportunity within the RN field.
I enjoyed my tenure at HMSA. It is a challenging yet rewarding place to work. The people are helpful and great to work with. Team work is essential
IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIAugust 2, 2015
I would return to HMSA provided the opportunity. While at HMSA I worked on and manage 4 of the top 5 company priority projects. These were critical projects to the company's security and success. I enjoyed working with the PMO staff, the business, and management. Overall HMSA is an excellent place to work and grow professionally.
Pros
Located in Hawaii, what better place to work. The people are great to work with.
Cons
At times very demanding so you better be up to the challenge.
Project Manager
Manager (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJuly 23, 2015
A tired company, yet a monopoly in Hawaii. Nothing happens. If you want a job, meld into the company and you'll have work. But take your pulse occasionally to make sure you are awake.
Pros
There are jobs
Cons
Hires have no identity
Would not recommend HMSA as an employer
Medical Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kapolei, HawaiiJuly 7, 2015
Under staff,upper management is not supportive to staff members, work volume is hectic, stressful and over welming. There is constant change with policies and procedures. Would not recommend HMSA as a good place to work.
Pros
Great supervisor, some what good benefits, good location
Cons
under staff, work volume is hectic, stressful and overwhelming.
prodictive, and fun place to work at
Account Advocate (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJune 24, 2015
I have learned a lot from working here at HMSA, I had no idea what I was doing until I was thrown on the computers and just did it on my own. I learned that it is not an easy job to do but when you get rewarded its the best feeling in the world.
Productive Health insurance company
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIApril 22, 2015
Heavy data entry. Good place to work with great benefits. Co workers were great. Management, not too professional. It was great working with a great bunch of people in the claims dept.
Great Company, Wonderful People
Provider Enrollment Data Specialist (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIDecember 29, 2014
Working for HMSA was a great opportunity for me to learn how Medical Insurance works, as well as completing requests for Providers. Working with HMSA, I was in the Provider Services Department and gain a lot of knowledge and experience in Medical Insurance, how to process Address Changes, Addition Locations, NPI updates, as well as learned how to Credential new Providers wishing to sign up with HMSA to accept HMSA patients. I met some of the most amazing people at this company and would have stayed with HMSA for as long as possible, but due to my husband and I, currently, going through a divorce I couldnt stay with HMSA because I am having to relocate off the island of Hawaii because the cost of living is too expensive here and I can't afford to raise my son and myself here.
Pros
Great people I got to know, My Manager was great, and very professional
Cons
Only Con was that I had to leave HMSA
Very Poor Work Environment
Manager Provider Data (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIAugust 19, 2014
Horrible work environment due to micromanaging Senior Management.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
Very busy, but with fantastic coworkers
File Maintenance Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Kapolei, HIJuly 22, 2014
Work days are usually filled to capacity and time management is crucial to a successful day. Core work is not difficult to complete but is very time consuming. Through careful analysis we were able to significantly increase the amount of work that could be completed and greatly reduced the error margin. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there and it is a shame I had to leave.
Nice poeple and great benefits
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJuly 7, 2014
Overall a very nice place to work, a lot of change is happening for the better
Cons
parking
Insurance worker
Benefits Recovery Claim Examiner l (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMay 7, 2014
All they care about is numbers. Like any business I suppose. Every day you have to report how long you spent doing certain tasks, and you get graded if you are working within the average amount of time it takes to complete that assignment. It is determined by how many claims, and how many accounts were "touched". Like a ratio sort of thing. Pretty much you are chained to your two screen desk 8 hours a day. Repetitive no doubt. Quiet office. You hear everyone. Great attendance rule. Start of new year your attendance record and any warning like that are erased off your record and you start new. Kinda nice if you are someone that might have these kinds of issues. They are understanding with family matters, but main thing just want the work done. Like any business. HMSA Keeaumoku parking has an 8 year wait,. Park at Ross for $6 a day, or at walmart across the street. Or street parking for free behind HMSA if you get to work early, All those side streets up to Piiikoi have free parking. Pretty safe. A good walk to and from work. Free exercise. Speaking of...HMSA has a gym inside that is free to employees, and classes too. OK place to work. Some depts are clicky and you just have to ignore.
Meaningful place to work
Supervisor- Noe Lutz (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIOctober 3, 2013
I started out with HMSA which is a blue cross and blue shield health insurance trainee in 1991 and through the years I have gained quite a bit of knowledge in the CPT and ICD-9 area. What really peaked my interest was resolution for our members as well the providers and knowing that my personal assistance provided them with the answers and/or tools that they needed.

I enjoyed working with everyone which involved a staff of 50+ in our call center alone which was located in Kapolei (the second city) and we knew when to keep it a business level as well to get together once in awhile after work.

I left HMSA after 22 years and at a level of Customer Relations Rep IV due to our family recently relocating to Spokane.
Pros
Free Parking
Cons
Short breaks
Wonderful Working Environment
Project Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJune 29, 2013
At HMSA I always looked forward to going to work because of the wonderful friendly environment that I worked in. Every morning i would clock in, check my email and finish up any work or do any work that I have been assigned to do. I would do that until it was time to go to the meetings that we had daily and in those meetings I would record everything that they have talked about and written down on the whiteboard. After the meeting that was roughly around 4 hours long I would go to lunch with my co-workers and after lunch I would go back onto the computer and start to put everything that was talked about in the meeting into documentation on the computer and i would upload it to the team Sharepoint after so everyone is on the same page for the next day. The hardest part of the job was trying to organize everything for everybody to understand. Rather then then that I enjoyed working there.
People are very nice and generally cooperative
Senior Project Business Coordinator (Former Employee) –  HonoluluFebruary 18, 2012
People are very nice and generally cooperative. Management is mixed as there is sometimes too much hiring of relatives and/or friends of relatives. Much of the work, if non-technical, can be very redundant...for example processing claims. The working conditions are generally comfortable
Pros
see above, your review..good benefits
Cons
for low level work very redundant and, management is mixed and, sometimes too much politics.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HMSA. Our community is ready to answer.

HMSA Reviews by Location