HMSA

HMSA Employee Reviews

Productive Health insurance company
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIApril 22, 2015
Heavy data entry. Good place to work with great benefits. Co workers were great. Management, not too professional. It was great working with a great bunch of people in the claims dept.
Great Company, Wonderful People
Provider Enrollment Data Specialist (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIDecember 29, 2014
Pros: great people i got to know, my manager was great, and very professional
Cons: only con was that i had to leave hmsa
Working for HMSA was a great opportunity for me to learn how Medical Insurance works, as well as completing requests for Providers. Working with HMSA, I was in the Provider Services Department and gain a lot of knowledge and experience in Medical Insurance, how to process Address Changes, Addition Locations, NPI updates, as well as learned how to Credential new Providers wishing to sign up with HMSA to accept HMSA patients. I met some of the most amazing people at this company and would have stayed with HMSA for as long as possible, but due to my husband and I, currently, going through a divorce I couldnt stay with HMSA because I am having to relocate off the island of Hawaii because the cost of living is too expensive here and I can't afford to raise my son and myself here.
Very Poor Work Environment
Manager Provider Data (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIAugust 19, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: everything else
Horrible work environment due to micromanaging Senior Management.
Very busy, but with fantastic coworkers
File Maintenance Specialist III (Former Employee), Kapolei, HIJuly 22, 2014
Work days are usually filled to capacity and time management is crucial to a successful day. Core work is not difficult to complete but is very time consuming. Through careful analysis we were able to significantly increase the amount of work that could be completed and greatly reduced the error margin. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there and it is a shame I had to leave.
Nice poeple and great benefits
Business Analyst (Current Employee), Honolulu, HIJuly 7, 2014
Cons: parking
Overall a very nice place to work, a lot of change is happening for the better
Insurance worker
Benefits Recovery Claim Examiner l (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIMay 7, 2014
All they care about is numbers. Like any business I suppose. Every day you have to report how long you spent doing certain tasks, and you get graded if you are working within the average amount of time it takes to complete that assignment. It is determined by how many claims, and how many accounts were "touched". Like a ratio sort of thing. Pretty much you are chained to your two screen desk 8 hours – more... a day. Repetitive no doubt. Quiet office. You hear everyone. Great attendance rule. Start of new year your attendance record and any warning like that are erased off your record and you start new. Kinda nice if you are someone that might have these kinds of issues. They are understanding with family matters, but main thing just want the work done. Like any business. HMSA Keeaumoku parking has an 8 year wait,. Park at Ross for $6 a day, or at walmart across the street. Or street parking for free behind HMSA if you get to work early, All those side streets up to Piiikoi have free parking. Pretty safe. A good walk to and from work. Free exercise. Speaking of...HMSA has a gym inside that is free to employees, and classes too. OK place to work. Some depts are clicky and you just have to ignore. – less
Meaningful place to work
Supervisor- Noe Lutz (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIOctober 3, 2013
Pros: free parking
Cons: short breaks
I started out with HMSA which is a blue cross and blue shield health insurance trainee in 1991 and through the years I have gained quite a bit of knowledge in the CPT and ICD-9 area. What really peaked my interest was resolution for our members as well the providers and knowing that my personal assistance provided them with the answers and/or tools that they needed.

I enjoyed working with everyone which involved a staff of 50+ in our call center alone which was located in Kapolei (the second city) and we knew when to keep it a business level as well to get together once in awhile after work.

I left HMSA after 22 years and at a level of Customer Relations Rep IV due to our family recently relocating to Spokane.
Wonderful Working Environment
Project Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIJune 29, 2013
At HMSA I always looked forward to going to work because of the wonderful friendly environment that I worked in. Every morning i would clock in, check my email and finish up any work or do any work that I have been assigned to do. I would do that until it was time to go to the meetings that we had daily and in those meetings I would record everything that they have talked about and written down on – more... the whiteboard. After the meeting that was roughly around 4 hours long I would go to lunch with my co-workers and after lunch I would go back onto the computer and start to put everything that was talked about in the meeting into documentation on the computer and i would upload it to the team Sharepoint after so everyone is on the same page for the next day. The hardest part of the job was trying to organize everything for everybody to understand. Rather then then that I enjoyed working there. – less
People are very nice and generally cooperative
Senior Project Business Coordinator (Former Employee), HonoluluFebruary 18, 2012
Pros: see above, your review..good benefits
Cons: for low level work very redundant and, management is mixed and, sometimes too much politics.
People are very nice and generally cooperative. Management is mixed as there is sometimes too much hiring of relatives and/or friends of relatives. Much of the work, if non-technical, can be very redundant...for example processing claims. The working conditions are generally comfortable

About HMSA

Hawaii Medical Service Association (HMSA) is Hawaii's largest health insurance company. The not-for-profit company serves more – Read more