HMSHost Employee Reviews in United States

Customer service
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Cranbury, NJAugust 26, 2016
I was a cashier at hms host. I would think I had an important job because hms hist was a service center where people from every would stop while traveling. I had to welcome them to our town the right way.
Do not work here!
Barista (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAAugust 19, 2016
Management is horrible. Lots of favortism , managers treat new employees like garbage and sit on Facebook every single day! Treat everyone horribly but expect the impossible. I got bullied by Everyone and management doesn't care much less do anything about it!!! They hire new people every week because the turn over rate is so high !!!
Pros
Cons
Short breaks, no healthcare, bullying
HMS Host - Starbucks DFW Airport
Barista (Current Employee) –  DFW Airport, TXAugust 16, 2016
Management is very bad!!!!!!! They do not care about their employees, and they have a very high turn around rate.
Do not work for Starbucks in the airport.
Nice first job
Team Member/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 16, 2016
Hmshost is a nice first job but it is not a career. Also advancement in hms is difficult but not impossible. They will work with you on your schedule if you need to switch your availability.
Pros
Free break meal
Cons
Short break
Restrictive with environment with changing ownership
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  West Gardiner, MaineAugust 15, 2016
Very little room to grow, lots of outside hiring for management. Ownership changing. The staff has been decent while dealing with a high volume of consumers regularly. Great job for a highschool student, but not much in terms of a career.
Pros
Free lunch, benefits.
Cons
Lackluster vacation policy, ownership worrys, bad management.
Stressful
Associate (Current Employee) –  Pattersonville, NYAugust 12, 2016
Summers are understaffed and insanely busy, down seasons are slow. Very unorganized. Not much room for advancement. Very obvious "favorites".
just dont work here
Barista / Hostess HMS Host (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 7, 2016
airport be ready to be at work an hour early everyday unpaid to get through airport transport and security.
if you apply go for full time or be prepared to be working part time at full time hours with no benefits
shift management is grossly under paid
if you are late three times you're fired
depending on the airside get used to very busy or slow
Good hours
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pattersonville, NYAugust 6, 2016
Got good hours and the management was nice. Clean work enviroment with chances to move up. Professional employees throughout the business.
Fun place to work and caring people
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mantua, OHAugust 5, 2016
One of the cleaner rest stops on the ohio tunpike,overall nice people typical day is stocking dealing with customers and lottery. overall its a fun place to worl fpr
A high intensity workplace with differing challenges every day
Food & Beverage Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  C GatesAugust 5, 2016
Working for HMS Host has been a challenge every day. Every time that I encountered a new challenge, I found new and different ways to improve myself. It has been one of the most challenging yet rewarding experiences of my life.
Pros
Different challenges every day, never boring
Cons
Inventory
Its pretty fun working at the airport
Server (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 4, 2016
Every day I face a new challenge when working at the airport we are such a dysfunctional family that it works in our favor we all cry laugh and love each other like a real family which makes everything very interesting
Pros
Amazing bonds
Cons
Having to miss them on thier days off
Worse company I ever work for!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lawn, PAJuly 26, 2016
I worked for about a week and a half. About a half hour before my last shift I was taken into the office and let go for no reason. Was told I was a great worker and everyone likes me. Been almost a week since pay day and I still haven't received my check!
Pros
Busy non-stop work
Cons
Managerment
fast pasted - wok cook
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  msp airportJuly 26, 2016
A typical day at work would consist of helping out customers with their food orders, putting in the daily orders and temp logs, helping employees with orders and work load, and nightly cleaning.
Pros
free lunch, healthcare, challenge
Cons
long hours, short staff
Pros & Cons
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 26, 2016
HMS Host was a great company to work for because of the experience I received and the customers I encountered. What I liked most about my position as a cashier employee was being able to provide for my family. What I liked least about my job was the superior manager. She didn't do a good job with the Scheduleing, It caused the store to be short staffed, which created a few problems for the crew and I & poor customer service. However, the benefits was a plus, I was able to go on maternity leave & still get paid. I really love the HR department. They really worked with me when I returned back to work. I would recommend any job seeker to fill out an application for HMS Host at O'Hare International Airport.
Pros
Free lunch, hour break, discounts at other restaurants, nice pay, Union, good hours
Cons
Travel time, poor management, everything is based on seniority
Worst decison I ever made moving to HMSHOST-Look up reviews on all jobsite concerning this company
BRAND CHAMPION/MULTI-UNIT MANAGER AT HMS (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 25, 2016
Worst company to work for! Just read glass door. Every facet of this company from accounting, operations, and benefits and any other process is disorganized at its core. See all reviews on job sites concerning this company. See for yourself
work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 21, 2016
very poor management , they do not care about their employees or how they treat them . the staff I work with is good but everyone is leaing due to poor management and the stress level that it has gone to due to management
Fun enviornment
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 19, 2016
Management was encouraging and always consistent. Co-workers became family. I never considered this work because it was such a joy.
Pros
Amazing atmosphere
Cons
New management
Fun Workplace
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJuly 11, 2016
Here I was able to go from being a cashier to being a supervisor in about a month and I liked it very much. Made me feel appreciated
Pros
free lunch, breaks
Cons
going through security just to go to work
stressful and tiring
Cashier/Waiter (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth, NJJuly 10, 2016
lacks diversity, compassion, and happiness. co-workers, for the most part, are rude. they need a happier vibe in the work place.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
works hours
Terrible place to work at, at least where I live.
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bedford, PAJuly 7, 2016
I worked here for about six months. While I may not have been the best employee, I'm no idiot. I know what good and bad treatment is. The management is very biased, blunt, and rude. They work you terrible hours, are usually understaffed (in part because they fire anyone they don't like), work you like a dog, and it is almost constantly slammed in there. Half the employees don't do their jobs correctly (at least in Starbucks. I worked Corporate before I worked HMSHost Starbucks and the difference was substantial), you get terrible benefits, if any at all, and you never have steady hours unless you are a 'manager'. You're pretty much screwed in all directions working here. I don't recommend it, if you live in the boonies like I do. And both me and my co-workers were often left to work by ourselves for extended periods of time. If you're familiar with Corporate Starbucks, you never have less than three people on the floor. Never.
You can't clock in until your scheduled time, BUT. You almost NEVER get out at the time you're scheduled. I have been left to continue work for up to an hour or more past when I was supposed to go home.

Without being TOTALLY biased, they do pay for your meals there, you get a half hour break (which is more than some places give), you get a (couple) smoke break(s) if you need one (but apparently no bathroom breaks, or so my manager told me. "We don't pay you to use the bathroom", sure, but give everyone multiple 5-10 minute smoke breaks. Makes perfect sense.), and that's pretty much all the good you get working here.

Who knows? Maybe the HMSHost
  more... near you won't be as terrible as the one I worked at. Fingers crossed.

Oh, and they suspend you before they fire you, so kiss any unemployment possibilities goodbye if you happened to work there at least 6 months.
Pros
Free lunch, half hour break, smoke breaks, Time and a half.
Cons
Poor work scheduling, poor management, poor training, poor pay for the work you do, you rarely get out when scheduled, under-staffing.