HMSHost Employee Reviews in United States

Leaves Much to be Desired
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  SeaTac, WADecember 8, 2015
First off, the wage proposed to me at the interview was higher than the wage ended up being after starting work. That started off with a bad impression of the company. Management is severely disorganized, hiring just about anyone off the street at a much lower pay rate than the surrounding area. They often complain that profit goals aren't being met, and then randomly laying off dozens of people, just to rehire those positions at a lower wage.
I was in middle-management, and I thought that everyone who was hired at minimum wage was being scammed. Unless you take public transit, you have to pay the very expensive parking fees to work at the airport, and on top of that, union dues are taken off the top of your paychecks.
Pros
Paid lunch breaks, discounts on great food (FREE for management), and good benefits
Cons
Disorganized management causing high turnover, low wages (even for experienced applicants), and the constant threat of "do this perfect, or you're fired!"
Mature Company with well-founded capacity to survive any economic turmoil
CONFIDENTIAL (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDNovember 24, 2015
They survived many Recessions, including the most recent one. They survived the economic impact of Sept 11 2001.

Family is one of their core values. It is typical to see employees that have worked for them for 30 years or more.

They have pretty good benefits such as 401K matching, various choices of health plans, dental, vision, and amazing vacation and sick day packages (with yearly rollover).

As big as they are, executives are still approachable.

However, maturity comes structure. And structure sometimes work against them because it impacts ability to advance career wise. The politics sometimes get in the way of getting things done.

Finally, their base pay band is not competitive and is typically 60% - 70% of median base pay.

It is a very diverse organization. But like any structured and well-founded company, the pace is slow. The organization is not agile. It does not react quickly to technological advances, social advances, and most especially cost of living.
Pros
Mature, Family Oriented, Stable, 401K Matching, Decent Benefit choices, Professional
Cons
Low Base Pay, slow advancement career wise and pay, slow to adapt to change
Hard work
Commissary Prep Cook I (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 21, 2016
A typical day began with an assessment of orders received for our assigned concept. From there the concept manager would divvy out assignments according to skill level and time required for prep/cooking/cooling before transport. Cook I was required to not only attend the assigned culinary projects but also to be available to the Cook II & III's for assistance. Training often occurred simultaneously by positioning a Cook I with a Cook II or III at the same prep table so that the Cook I could answer questions and communicate effective techniques with minimal distraction from their own projects.
Pros
High volume meant refining skills and time management
Cons
Chain of command was often in flux
Significant Challenges locally
Accounting Systems Support Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 3, 2016
Overall great company globally. Local branches have significant challenges with overall management leadership, advancement, and overall respect for lower level front line employees.
Decent pay and raises, great opportunities for advancement but poor culture
Cashier (Former Employee) –  ChicagoJuly 21, 2015
The job could be tough at times. Our particular restaurant seemed to go through cashiers every week, not because of the tough job, but because of the culture. Everyone was cool enough to get along with, but there was a bit of a mean girl attitude from some of the higher seniority cashiers that management didn't really do anything about, and it drove away potentially good cashiers. Not too many places at this job level pay as well and you get raises every so often, holiday pay, seniority really matters here as far as what days you get off and who gets open jobs. I took orders and did expo, didn't really enjoy it but the pay was decent. I would have hung in there but the clique-i-ness was starting to get to me
Pros
Basically free lunch, paid breaks, opportunities
Cons
Work culture
I can see why the company is potentially being revamped
Barista (Current Employee) –  Tampa,FlSeptember 10, 2015
I have worked for this company as a Starbucks barista for almost a year. As a 19 year old, I know for a fact its not a career. Rather a job that gets me quick cash while in school pursing my dream. The ironic thing is, there is no work life balance. I have been scheduled an hour after I have had a class. I leave the class, hinder my education just to serve people I will never lay my eyes upon again. There are perks, if you have seniority that is. I have coworkers who luckily have that consistent schedule but it took me 8 months to be switched to a night shift. After practically groveling to get it. Now, I have failed two classes, lost my financial aid and am stuck in this job. Working a night shift. With a flexible schedule that took me eons to attain. Please steer away from this company. They may not all have the same characteristics, but from what I have read, HMS host is not the route to take.
Pros
Free lunch from most concessions, free food, free lunch, tips, food, coworkers
Cons
short breaks, cheap company, no benefits, work you like a dog
Disorganized, a mess of a place to work
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 9, 2015
Hmshost has a lot of improving to make at many of their locations. Although their upper management is supportive in every way, there is just not enough time in the day to fix everything that is wrong with their locations. Required to work 12+ hours a day with no breaks sometimes. Not enough management on site at one time. Needs a lot of worker. There is potential though.
Pros
SUPPORTIVE UPPER MANAGEMENT
Cons
WORK ATMOSPHERE IS HIGH STRESS, PUTTING OUT FIRES ALL DAY, NOT ENOUGH COMPENSATION
Horrible culture
Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte Airport, NCNovember 1, 2015
I just found out that HMSHost has a horrible reputation for turn-over. The company thinks it has values and culture but what makes it worst middle & upper management have no clue that one does not exist.
The traditional "good ole boys club" is at it's best here. How can someone get promoted to a VP with working conditions are horrible, profitability down, high turn-over but most importantly, the conditions of the restaurant units are deplorable.
"If you always do what you have always done... you will always get what you ALWAYS got". A very simple statement to learn from leadership team.HMSHost = Cognitive dissonance
at it's best.
Pros
free drinks
Cons
You WILL ABSOLUTELY NEVER learn with this management team. Poor company reviews.
Productive and had a chance to meet many people of different races and culture.
SHIFT SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  BWI AirportMarch 14, 2016
Management treated workers equally. Co-workers are like family and meeting many people of different race and culture is a good experience.
Pros
Free lunches
Used to be fun
Crew (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 24, 2015
This company used to reward you for working here. 5 year pin, cards redeemable for cash for not having accidents in your unit, gift cards on holidays, gift cards for good mystery shops, etc. etc. Now you get nothing basically.

To be honest, they spoiled us anyway. Work anywhere else and you don't get breaks and anything HMS used to give us anyway.

Moving on...I feel like for the money it pays and all the stress you go through (I honestly feel like I've worked harder here than anywhere else I've ever worked before. It's in an airport!) it isn't worth it. No overtime either. Find somewhere else to work guys, go to college, something. Don't die here please. Less stressful places pay more than this company does.

Management can barely speak English or write it. Favoritism gets you promotions. But job security is great here with the union we have, I'll give them that.

Anyway I won't sit here and bash this company further. I am grateful they gave me a job when no one else would to be honest.
Pros
Free lunch up to 12 bucks, paid vacations if full time, job security
Cons
Hard work and not enough pay
A fun workplace always meeting new people
Hostess (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLMarch 25, 2016
A typical day at work is always busy and the management is very respectful. my co-workers are very helpful and understanding but the hardest part about the job is dealing with rude and disrespectful customers. The most enjoyable part about working at chili's is when everyone works as a team without altercations.
Stay away from this company
Unit Manager (Current Employee) –  CharlotteOctober 13, 2015
Probably the worst company in my career history, No leadership, Horrible culture, No promotions opportunities, Managers that have been there for more than 10 years are below average performers and they will never leave HMSHost. The Human Resources Department is a revolving door. High turn-over. Great people leave and the below average performers stay.
Pros
free soft drinks
Cons
Horrible company, Will hurt your career if you stay too long with HMSHost - CLT, Absolutely no development, Known as burn & turn company

Comment – January 8, 2016

I still work here and no change. Operations are horrible, no one cares, HR managers are clueless of the culture and the of being more profitable aludes the corp. Made a personal commitment to seek employment elsewherel . Yesterday I went to a recruiting company and was told that they will never place any of their candidates with HMSHost because of their "horrible reputation as an employer. Do I need to say more? Perception is reception. HMSHost you will never be an employer of choice.

Fun workplace. Coworkers and Manager are nice.
Sales Associate/Supervisor, (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 12, 2016
My typical day at work is when we get off early from work.

I learned how to handle money properly and how to organize things.

The management treat their workers really nice and good.

I love working with my coworkers because we work in a team.

The hardest part of this job is to clean after the shift, and to stay late every time we have a lot of customers.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the inventory because we get to see all the managers helping us do the inventory and every-time we have a party, the food was really good and they give us free gifts as well.
Pros
Free lunches, healthcare
Cons
Short breaks
Great atmosphere, but poor management
Utility Porter (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 16, 2015
On one hand, fellow employees where nice and friendly and most duties were easy paced and required a adequate amount of effort. The best part of this job was, occasionally, doing a pull-out list, where I bring products to the kitchen workers according to a list they made. On the other hand, we each work at different restaurants in the airport, constantly changing managers, having poor communication problems. The worst part of the job was, when working for one particular restaurant, was dish washing. It was the busiest restaurant of the airport, so the dishes stacked up very high, so it was very fast-paced.
Pros
good pay; $11 for lunch; great benefits.
Cons
poor management; little training.
Poor management
Baker,Cashier,Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Boston Logan Intl AirportJanuary 29, 2016
I was a cashier most of the time due to other co workers not wanting to be on cashier. I learned how to greet customers and make sure a customer is happy with my service. My co workers didn't help much, they would only work if a manager was around. The hardest part of the job was working 12 hours a day without much help from coworkers. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting free Starbucks on break.
Pros
free lunch, vacation time, sick hours
Cons
poor management, favoritism, no communication, co workers don't work as a team
Working at a Travel Plaza
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cumberland, MEJuly 2, 2016
A very busy place to work! Managing a crew of mostly High School students and people who for the most part this is their first job. That is the most difficult thing, as most of them have not learned a good work ethic yet, and don't often think through the tasks that they are given. I have learned that you have to be very, very explicit in your instructions, and will probably have to repeat them more than once, as they stopped listening about halfway through.

The work varies, as you have to be a combination of inventory control, cash control, cook, dishwasher, janitor, and cashier all rolled into one.
Pros
Free meals, company uniforms
Cons
Low pay, never having two days off in a row, very long hours, never having the same schedule two weeks in a row.
great work place and work environment
Food Prep (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 14, 2016
a typical day at my job, as soon as i get to work its an easy going free air surroundings you will be laughing all day, while working its like being at work surrounded by family, working here compared to other places i have worked, i love this destination because its not like your just at work you may be at work but you have to get out of your feelings because others may be going thru more than you are in life and they come to work happy everyday because they made work not a place to feel trapped but a home, and its a safe haven but you cant stay in one place for a long time you have to move on and start fresh and take the skills you have learned to a new environment learn from the mistakes you have made and not make them again
Pros
fun carefree family environment
Cons
pay
Great company
Barista (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 12, 2016
I enjoy working with HMSHOST as they are an amazing company to work with. HMSHOST provides their employees with ample opportunities and is a gateway to finding your career. I have learnt a great deal from this company that I probably never would have learned on my own. I worked in an environment of which I enjoyed and shared a personal interest. I believe the hardest part about the job was the fact I was often tempted by the sweet aromatic scents produced from the coffee. As you can probably already guess, I love coffee and thoroughly enjoyed serving and creating drinks with it. I am a malleable type of person so I got along easily with my co-workers. Management operated on a superior level and were always looking for new ways to inspire their employees.
Fun Workplace.
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 17, 2016
The hours were great. You would typically get 40+ hours a week, until they started to cut down hours and go by seniority. My ex Co-workers on 2nd shift were really fun like Sherri and Ada. I really got a long with them well. I worked 12-830. Had Mondays and Tuesdays off and then had to bid shifts so I got Thursday's & Friday's off. I loved this job although it would be really busy and we would be low on staff.. They hired a lot of people and started to count down hours and pay wasn't raised enough. Now management... Bob was a really nice guy always did what he had to do to get Starbucks going. All the other managers were ok.
Pros
Free Lunches, Lots of Variety for places to eat, no management on your butt all day
Cons
Short staff, Grumpy Morning People, Shifts
Fast Working Environment
Airport Bartender (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 5, 2016
A regular day at work goes really fast since there is always people coming to wait for their next destination, one of the most enjoyable things about my job is the interaction that i have with my customers. One of the hardest part of my job is making sure that everyone is following airport security protocols and being able to explain to different cultures in a non-offensive way. We use macros computers and since the terminal is a new side of the terminal i have learn how to operate and help around when need it.
Pros
good hours
Cons
short breaks