HMSHost Employee Reviews in United States

Leaves Much to be Desired
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  SeaTac, WADecember 8, 2015
First off, the wage proposed to me at the interview was higher than the wage ended up being after starting work. That started off with a bad impression of the company. Management is severely disorganized, hiring just about anyone off the street at a much lower pay rate than the surrounding area. They often complain that profit goals aren't being met, and then randomly laying off dozens of people, just to rehire those positions at a lower wage.
I was in middle-management, and I thought that everyone who was hired at minimum wage was being scammed. Unless you take public transit, you have to pay the very expensive parking fees to work at the airport, and on top of that, union dues are taken off the top of your paychecks.
Pros
Paid lunch breaks, discounts on great food (FREE for management), and good benefits
Cons
Disorganized management causing high turnover, low wages (even for experienced applicants), and the constant threat of "do this perfect, or you're fired!"
Mature Company with well-founded capacity to survive any economic turmoil
CONFIDENTIAL (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDNovember 24, 2015
They survived many Recessions, including the most recent one. They survived the economic impact of Sept 11 2001.

Family is one of their core values. It is typical to see employees that have worked for them for 30 years or more.

They have pretty good benefits such as 401K matching, various choices of health plans, dental, vision, and amazing vacation and sick day packages (with yearly rollover).

As big as they are, executives are still approachable.

However, maturity comes structure. And structure sometimes work against them because it impacts ability to advance career wise. The politics sometimes get in the way of getting things done.

Finally, their base pay band is not competitive and is typically 60% - 70% of median base pay.

It is a very diverse organization. But like any structured and well-founded company, the pace is slow. The organization is not agile. It does not react quickly to technological advances, social advances, and most especially cost of living.
Pros
Mature, Family Oriented, Stable, 401K Matching, Decent Benefit choices, Professional
Cons
Low Base Pay, slow advancement career wise and pay, slow to adapt to change
Disorganized, a mess of a place to work
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 9, 2015
Hmshost has a lot of improving to make at many of their locations. Although their upper management is supportive in every way, there is just not enough time in the day to fix everything that is wrong with their locations. Required to work 12+ hours a day with no breaks sometimes. Not enough management on site at one time. Needs a lot of worker. There is potential though.
Pros
SUPPORTIVE UPPER MANAGEMENT
Cons
WORK ATMOSPHERE IS HIGH STRESS, PUTTING OUT FIRES ALL DAY, NOT ENOUGH COMPENSATION
I can see why the company is potentially being revamped
Barista (Current Employee) –  Tampa,FlSeptember 10, 2015
I have worked for this company as a Starbucks barista for almost a year. As a 19 year old, I know for a fact its not a career. Rather a job that gets me quick cash while in school pursing my dream. The ironic thing is, there is no work life balance. I have been scheduled an hour after I have had a class. I leave the class, hinder my education just to serve people I will never lay my eyes upon again. There are perks, if you have seniority that is. I have coworkers who luckily have that consistent schedule but it took me 8 months to be switched to a night shift. After practically groveling to get it. Now, I have failed two classes, lost my financial aid and am stuck in this job. Working a night shift. With a flexible schedule that took me eons to attain. Please steer away from this company. They may not all have the same characteristics, but from what I have read, HMS host is not the route to take.
Pros
Free lunch from most concessions, free food, free lunch, tips, food, coworkers
Cons
short breaks, cheap company, no benefits, work you like a dog
Great atmosphere, but poor management
Utility Porter (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 16, 2015
On one hand, fellow employees where nice and friendly and most duties were easy paced and required a adequate amount of effort. The best part of this job was, occasionally, doing a pull-out list, where I bring products to the kitchen workers according to a list they made. On the other hand, we each work at different restaurants in the airport, constantly changing managers, having poor communication problems. The worst part of the job was, when working for one particular restaurant, was dish washing. It was the busiest restaurant of the airport, so the dishes stacked up very high, so it was very fast-paced.
Pros
good pay; $11 for lunch; great benefits.
Cons
poor management; little training.
great staff at the HR
cashier (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 5, 2016
i enjoyed working over at SLPP along with their great staff.i learned allot that i didn't know much about such as costumer service skills and cash handling.i would go back if could.
Pros
free lunches great staff good benifits
Cons
Hard but a rewarding place to work.
Snack Cart Attendant (Current Employee) –  Kahului, HINovember 22, 2015
I like working for HMShost because I love being around customers. Especially When I get make their day a better one. It is also a good environment, the workers there are super nice and really funny. There are also a lot of good benefits with working for HMShost. Like medical and dental, there is also double pay of you work on a state holiday.
Pros
Double pay on Holidays
Cons
Sometimes working in hot environments
Decent pay and raises, great opportunities for advancement but poor culture
Cashier (Former Employee) –  ChicagoJuly 21, 2015
The job could be tough at times. Our particular restaurant seemed to go through cashiers every week, not because of the tough job, but because of the culture. Everyone was cool enough to get along with, but there was a bit of a mean girl attitude from some of the higher seniority cashiers that management didn't really do anything about, and it drove away potentially good cashiers. Not too many places at this job level pay as well and you get raises every so often, holiday pay, seniority really matters here as far as what days you get off and who gets open jobs. I took orders and did expo, didn't really enjoy it but the pay was decent. I would have hung in there but the clique-i-ness was starting to get to me
Pros
Basically free lunch, paid breaks, opportunities
Cons
Work culture
Work History
Supervisor, Retail/Food and Beverage (Former Employee) –  Romulus, MIJanuary 1, 2016
It was a fun, healthy work enviornment, and had invalueable experience. The company gave myself and many of the employee's working there great benifits.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Short Hours
great company, had to leave due to lack of work and low seniority, hawaii was a lot better energy then vegas.
Bartender/Server (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 27, 2015
Management was awesome and very helpful. They treat you with respect. Money was great until they had a big lay off and I didn't work for over a month. Benefits were great, having a free food was awesome. Customers were challenging especially if they were going home after losing a lot of money or something else really bad happened. You had to be a psychologist to work there and listen to people cry about being cheated on or losing money daily.
Pros
managers, company was fair, free food, paid lunch, paid vacay
Cons
bad timing with lay offs, customers tend to be depressed.
Ok for starting
Utility Worker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 10, 2015
Good place to start off. Been there three years and happy but time to find something different. Health benefits vacation time I enjoy my time at work
BENEFITS
Hard work
Commissary Prep Cook I (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 21, 2016
A typical day began with an assessment of orders received for our assigned concept. From there the concept manager would divvy out assignments according to skill level and time required for prep/cooking/cooling before transport. Cook I was required to not only attend the assigned culinary projects but also to be available to the Cook II & III's for assistance. Training often occurred simultaneously by positioning a Cook I with a Cook II or III at the same prep table so that the Cook I could answer questions and communicate effective techniques with minimal distraction from their own projects.
Pros
High volume meant refining skills and time management
Cons
Chain of command was often in flux
if you can't handle the work, don't apply.
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Nashville, tnJune 2, 2015
The employees already don't want to work so you need to motivate them. The schedule you want doesn't really matter they will schedule you when you need to. I interviewed to get a morning job but they had me close anyway and when I talked to management they said it was what the business required. They desperately hire anybody so you work with criminals that somehow passed the background. Several have been arrested there at the airport. Management doesn't support you even when they promise to. They make decisions for you that have not been discussed. Lot of favortism. Extremely busy with customers constantly complaining about their flight boarding soon and they try to get you to hurry up. Work long hours all the time, no recognition or support from higher up. Scheduling conflicts every week. If you can't handle the amount of work don't work here. Employees are supportive and awesome.
Pros
great staff, good benefits, good pay
Cons
short break, management not supportive
Working at a Travel Plaza
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cumberland, MEJuly 2, 2016
A very busy place to work! Managing a crew of mostly High School students and people who for the most part this is their first job. That is the most difficult thing, as most of them have not learned a good work ethic yet, and don't often think through the tasks that they are given. I have learned that you have to be very, very explicit in your instructions, and will probably have to repeat them more than once, as they stopped listening about halfway through.

The work varies, as you have to be a combination of inventory control, cash control, cook, dishwasher, janitor, and cashier all rolled into one.
Pros
Free meals, company uniforms
Cons
Low pay, never having two days off in a row, very long hours, never having the same schedule two weeks in a row.
great work place and work environment
Food Prep (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 14, 2016
a typical day at my job, as soon as i get to work its an easy going free air surroundings you will be laughing all day, while working its like being at work surrounded by family, working here compared to other places i have worked, i love this destination because its not like your just at work you may be at work but you have to get out of your feelings because others may be going thru more than you are in life and they come to work happy everyday because they made work not a place to feel trapped but a home, and its a safe haven but you cant stay in one place for a long time you have to move on and start fresh and take the skills you have learned to a new environment learn from the mistakes you have made and not make them again
Pros
fun carefree family environment
Cons
pay
Great company
Barista (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 12, 2016
I enjoy working with HMSHOST as they are an amazing company to work with. HMSHOST provides their employees with ample opportunities and is a gateway to finding your career. I have learnt a great deal from this company that I probably never would have learned on my own. I worked in an environment of which I enjoyed and shared a personal interest. I believe the hardest part about the job was the fact I was often tempted by the sweet aromatic scents produced from the coffee. As you can probably already guess, I love coffee and thoroughly enjoyed serving and creating drinks with it. I am a malleable type of person so I got along easily with my co-workers. Management operated on a superior level and were always looking for new ways to inspire their employees.
Fun Workplace.
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 17, 2016
The hours were great. You would typically get 40+ hours a week, until they started to cut down hours and go by seniority. My ex Co-workers on 2nd shift were really fun like Sherri and Ada. I really got a long with them well. I worked 12-830. Had Mondays and Tuesdays off and then had to bid shifts so I got Thursday's & Friday's off. I loved this job although it would be really busy and we would be low on staff.. They hired a lot of people and started to count down hours and pay wasn't raised enough. Now management... Bob was a really nice guy always did what he had to do to get Starbucks going. All the other managers were ok.
Pros
Free Lunches, Lots of Variety for places to eat, no management on your butt all day
Cons
Short staff, Grumpy Morning People, Shifts
stay away from D concourse at CLT
food service (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 14, 2015
Management operates like a middle or high school. They will also smile in your face but at the end of your shift write you up or terminate you without notice if you do not kiss their behinds. The concourse manager is especially a snake and a coward. I hear other concourses operate very differently, but be very careful on D concourse and transfer to another concourse as soon as you can. They will work you to the bone and ask you for favors, but if you can't make a shift/late all is forgotten.
Pros
good benefits, good pay, SOME managers ok, great co workers
Cons
some managers extremely unprofessional, run concourse like high school, poor union
Chickfila
Associate lead, barista, trainer (Current Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAJuly 7, 2016
Chickfila is a fun but fast past environment that has you on the move, after 3 months most employees leave that are part time due to a high turn over rate. I liked it for my 3 months it was fun. Getting to greet the customers and smile a lot which is one of my favorite things to do! Typical days were running cash, packing up orders. we would meet every morning and go over goals for how we would try and make today more efficient for the company. the hardest part was keeping pace with everyone, most enjoyable part was pleasing the customers and making the orders.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
was only part time
Nice place to work at til you find something better.
Utility (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL.August 18, 2015
decent place to work at. they have a union. raises are twice a year, but advancement is a bit shaky. they require too much to advance, because of previous bad experiences, which makes it nigh impossible.
Pros
free lunch, cheap dental, raises.
Cons
hard to move upwards, bad managers, some of the workers are just bad, but many are cool.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HMSHost. Our community is ready to answer.