HMSHost Employee Reviews

Dont Do It!
Utility (Former Employee) –  WVFebruary 1, 2016
I worked for this company. I started on night shift food prep. They found out I knew how to clean and they moved me to day shift. Then they moved me to night and days. Then just on days. Had to clean 64 toilets a day clean windows ,vacuum entry ways unload trucks put dates on everything break down boxes empty trash. Give other employees breaks and then have to struggle to get my stuff done in the process. No rest periods 30 minute break only. You work with people that don't want to work as a team. You will be doing about everything on your own as if you are to run the whole place. Not worth the drive back and forth. For minimum wage. Everything is put off on the utility person.
Pros
9$ meal
Cons
1 30minute lunch for 10 hour shift, No team players, Feels like High School again
Remained Flexible
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 17, 2016
Constant interaction with consumer, was able to accurately work at any work station such as; produce, the bakery, front end and the deli.
Pros
Abundant Growth and advancement with in the company
Cons
Not enough hours
It was an overall good experience.
Server (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 10, 2016
It was an overall good experience. Some things needed to change but the people were great. And work always got done.
Management was understanding most of the time.
Good company not great management
Host/Cashier/Server (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 9, 2016
A typical day varied greatly because I was doing a lot of different positions based on whatever the restaurant needed but was still given the worst shifts and abused by management because I was willing to work when other co-workers flirted there way into better positions and shifts.
fun starter job
Supervisor/Cook/Server (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 7, 2016
Great management and structure but a lot of turnover with employees as to be expected with a fast food job. Very clean place and fun family environment.
Fast Working Environment
Airport Bartender (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 5, 2016
A regular day at work goes really fast since there is always people coming to wait for their next destination, one of the most enjoyable things about my job is the interaction that i have with my customers. One of the hardest part of my job is making sure that everyone is following airport security protocols and being able to explain to different cultures in a non-offensive way. We use macros computers and since the terminal is a new side of the terminal i have learn how to operate and help around when need it.
Pros
good hours
Cons
short breaks
great place
Help Desk Support (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDDecember 15, 2015
There for short term contract for about a month. Really easy going workplace. Would not mind working for the company fulltime
Ok for starting
Utility Worker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 10, 2015
Good place to start off. Been there three years and happy but time to find something different. Health benefits vacation time I enjoy my time at work
BENEFITS
DISORGANIZED, A MESS OF A PLACE TO WORK
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 9, 2015
HMSHOST HAS A LOT OF IMPROVING TO MAKE AT MANY OF THEIR LOCATIONS. ALTHOUGH THEIR UPPER MANAGEMENT IS SUPPORTIVE IN EVERY WAY, THERE IS JUST NOT ENOUGH TIME IN THE DAY TO FIX EVERYTHING THAT IS WRONG WITH THEIR LOCATIONS. REQUIRED TO WORK 12+ HOURS A DAY WITH NO BREAKS SOMETIMES. NOT ENOUGH MANAGEMENT ON SITE AT ONE TIME. NEEDS A LOT OF WORKER. THERE IS POTENTIAL THOUGH.
Pros
SUPPORTIVE UPPER MANAGEMENT
Cons
WORK ATMOSPHERE IS HIGH STRESS, PUTTING OUT FIRES ALL DAY, NOT ENOUGH COMPENSATION
Leaves Much to be Desired
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  SeaTac, WADecember 8, 2015
First off, the wage proposed to me at the interview was higher than the wage ended up being after starting work. That started off with a bad impression of the company. Management is severely disorganized, hiring just about anyone off the street at a much lower pay rate than the surrounding area. They often complain that profit goals aren't being met, and then randomly laying off dozens of people, just to rehire those positions at a lower wage.
I was in middle-management, and I thought that everyone who was hired at minimum wage was being scammed. Unless you take public transit, you have to pay the very expensive parking fees to work at the airport, and on top of that, union dues are taken off the top of your paychecks.
Pros
Paid lunch breaks, discounts on great food (FREE for management), and good benefits
Cons
Disorganized management causing high turnover, low wages (even for experienced applicants), and the constant threat of "do this perfect, or you're fired!"
Great place to shop
Front Of House Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Royal Palm Beach, FLDecember 8, 2015
This is a place where you learn to provide the best for your customer's. Saying "NO" is not an option. If you are not a people person this job is not the right place for you.
Mature Company with well-founded capacity to survive any economic turmoil
CONFIDENTIAL (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDNovember 24, 2015
They survived many Recessions, including the most recent one. They survived the economic impact of Sept 11 2001.

Family is one of their core values. It is typical to see employees that have worked for them for 30 years or more.

They have pretty good benefits such as 401K matching, various choices of health plans, dental, vision, and amazing vacation and sick day packages (with yearly rollover).

As big as they are, executives are still approachable.

However, maturity comes structure. And structure sometimes work against them because it impacts ability to advance career wise. The politics sometimes get in the way of getting things done.

Finally, their base pay band is not competitive and is typically 60% - 70% of median base pay.

It is a very diverse organization. But like any structured and well-founded company, the pace is slow. The organization is not agile. It does not react quickly to technological advances, social advances, and most especially cost of living.
Pros
Mature, Family Oriented, Stable, 401K Matching, Decent Benefit choices, Professional
Cons
Low Base Pay, slow advancement career wise and pay, slow to adapt to change
Not such a good place to work
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 24, 2015
We always were out of product so that made my job a lot harder. trying to keep the team happy was hard because we were out of everything
Hard but a rewarding place to work.
Snack Cart Attendant (Current Employee) –  Kahului, HINovember 22, 2015
I like working for HMShost because I love being around customers. Especially When I get make their day a better one. It is also a good environment, the workers there are super nice and really funny. There are also a lot of good benefits with working for HMShost. Like medical and dental, there is also double pay of you work on a state holiday.
Pros
Double pay on Holidays
Cons
Sometimes working in hot environments
Worst place ever
Starbuck Barista (Current Employee) –  Absecon, NJNovember 21, 2015
Favoritism, I was promised a lead position and never got that. Pay sucks, management is bad. Drinks are good. Need new management!!! I wouldn't recommend this job to anyone
Pros
Free lunch Free drinks
Cons
Bad management, supervisors, & favoritism
Learning different varieties of coffee products
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 11, 2015
Meeting and greeting customers, serving breakfast sandwiches, croissants, and bagels. I have learned that everyone loves coffee. Management team was a great assistance with the staff, and co-workers were also great with customer service and keeping the store clean. The hardest part was when we ran out of items that customers wanted. I enjoyed the evening rushes and had customers in and out in a timely manner.
Pros
Free drinks, pastries, and sandwiches
Cons
Finacial stability
I do not advise
Barista at Starbuck (Former Employee) –  Clifton Springs, NYOctober 28, 2015
Management does not work with the staff when they need help, they tend to push their duties onto others. No advancement unless you beg to be moved up.
so many things to do
Hostess/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 26, 2015
I enjoyed this job because i got to choose what fun things to do on a daily and i got to be create when holidays came i really enjoyed myself at country villa.
Pros
i got to be creative
Cons
short breaks
easy work space
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tampa,FlOctober 22, 2015
good working environment, just wish there were more cameras in the work area, but its over all a good job good pay and understanding mangemant
Great Place to Work
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  CorporateOctober 20, 2015
A great diverse place to work. Friendly and room to move around. Great benefits and work incentives. Everyone is very approachable.
Pros
Parking

2.9