HMSHost Employee Reviews in United States

Fun Workplace.
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 17, 2016
The hours were great. You would typically get 40+ hours a week, until they started to cut down hours and go by seniority. My ex Co-workers on 2nd shift were really fun like Sherri and Ada. I really got a long with them well. I worked 12-830. Had Mondays and Tuesdays off and then had to bid shifts so I got Thursday's & Friday's off. I loved this job although it would be really busy and we would be low on staff.. They hired a lot of people and started to count down hours and pay wasn't raised enough. Now management... Bob was a really nice guy always did what he had to do to get Starbucks going. All the other managers were ok.
Pros
Free Lunches, Lots of Variety for places to eat, no management on your butt all day
Cons
Short staff, Grumpy Morning People, Shifts
Bad management, scheduling issues
Cook (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 13, 2016
Managers in Open Kitchen yelling at employees and talking down to them. Schedules bus riding employees when the bus doesn't run so they have no way to get home. Managers don't introduce themselves to new employees so theres no way to tell who your manager is. Not provided with proper materials needed like cutting gloves or thermometer to check temp of food.
Pros
Very diverse work environment. Fast pace
Cons
Managers are not team players
Great company
Barista (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 12, 2016
I enjoy working with HMSHOST as they are an amazing company to work with. HMSHOST provides their employees with ample opportunities and is a gateway to finding your career. I have learnt a great deal from this company that I probably never would have learned on my own. I worked in an environment of which I enjoyed and shared a personal interest. I believe the hardest part about the job was the fact I was often tempted by the sweet aromatic scents produced from the coffee. As you can probably already guess, I love coffee and thoroughly enjoyed serving and creating drinks with it. I am a malleable type of person so I got along easily with my co-workers. Management operated on a superior level and were always looking for new ways to inspire their employees.
Hard work
Commissary Prep Cook I (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 21, 2016
A typical day began with an assessment of orders received for our assigned concept. From there the concept manager would divvy out assignments according to skill level and time required for prep/cooking/cooling before transport. Cook I was required to not only attend the assigned culinary projects but also to be available to the Cook II & III's for assistance. Training often occurred simultaneously by positioning a Cook I with a Cook II or III at the same prep table so that the Cook I could answer questions and communicate effective techniques with minimal distraction from their own projects.
Pros
High volume meant refining skills and time management
Cons
Chain of command was often in flux
great work place and work environment
Food Prep (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 14, 2016
a typical day at my job, as soon as i get to work its an easy going free air surroundings you will be laughing all day, while working its like being at work surrounded by family, working here compared to other places i have worked, i love this destination because its not like your just at work you may be at work but you have to get out of your feelings because others may be going thru more than you are in life and they come to work happy everyday because they made work not a place to feel trapped but a home, and its a safe haven but you cant stay in one place for a long time you have to move on and start fresh and take the skills you have learned to a new environment learn from the mistakes you have made and not make them again
Pros
fun carefree family environment
Cons
pay
I would never work here again.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  DFW Airport, TXMay 16, 2016
I thought this place would be great to work with but it wasn't. I was lied to about how much I was being paid, yelled at by managers, and always worked more than I needed to. I couldn't handle it and I had to leave.
Pros
None.
Cons
Late on breaks, Late on letting you off the clock, Looks when you do something wrong on your second day, Managers are more focused on themselves than the team itself
Dont Do It!
Utility (Former Employee) –  WVFebruary 1, 2016
I worked for this company. I started on night shift food prep. They found out I knew how to clean and they moved me to day shift. Then they moved me to night and days. Then just on days. Had to clean 64 toilets a day clean windows ,vacuum entry ways unload trucks put dates on everything break down boxes empty trash. Give other employees breaks and then have to struggle to get my stuff done in the process. No rest periods 30 minute break only. You work with people that don't want to work as a team. You will be doing about everything on your own as if you are to run the whole place. Not worth the drive back and forth. For minimum wage. Everything is put off on the utility person.
Pros
9$ meal
Cons
1 30minute lunch for 10 hour shift, No team players, Feels like High School again
Poor management
Baker,Cashier,Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Boston Logan Intl AirportJanuary 29, 2016
I was a cashier most of the time due to other co workers not wanting to be on cashier. I learned how to greet customers and make sure a customer is happy with my service. My co workers didn't help much, they would only work if a manager was around. The hardest part of the job was working 12 hours a day without much help from coworkers. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting free Starbucks on break.
Pros
free lunch, vacation time, sick hours
Cons
poor management, favoritism, no communication, co workers don't work as a team
relations and communications and learning new things
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Clyde, OHJanuary 29, 2016
day at work is communicating with customers and employees successfully.Learning something new every day.Do not agree with the managers decisions she thinks of herself and takes credit for others suggestions and work ethics.coworkers are great.Hardest part of the job is dealing with the manager and her unprofessionalism.the best part of my job is working with the employees and meeting different customers.
Pros
meeting different customers
Cons
working every weekend
A fun workplace always meeting new people
Hostess (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLMarch 25, 2016
A typical day at work is always busy and the management is very respectful. my co-workers are very helpful and understanding but the hardest part about the job is dealing with rude and disrespectful customers. The most enjoyable part about working at chili's is when everyone works as a team without altercations.
Fun workplace. Coworkers and Manager are nice.
Sales Associate/Supervisor, (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 12, 2016
My typical day at work is when we get off early from work.

I learned how to handle money properly and how to organize things.

The management treat their workers really nice and good.

I love working with my coworkers because we work in a team.

The hardest part of this job is to clean after the shift, and to stay late every time we have a lot of customers.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the inventory because we get to see all the managers helping us do the inventory and every-time we have a party, the food was really good and they give us free gifts as well.
Pros
Free lunches, healthcare
Cons
Short breaks
Worst company in LAX
Packer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 18, 2016
Dont work here. Uneducated/Unexperienced managers, unfair treatment, no recognition towards your hard efforts, pay is not at a competive level, union is completly useless, complaints are often ignored, lack of cummunication between managers and employees, favourtisim, work scheduales are non efficient, drama.
Fast Working Environment
Airport Bartender (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 5, 2016
A regular day at work goes really fast since there is always people coming to wait for their next destination, one of the most enjoyable things about my job is the interaction that i have with my customers. One of the hardest part of my job is making sure that everyone is following airport security protocols and being able to explain to different cultures in a non-offensive way. We use macros computers and since the terminal is a new side of the terminal i have learn how to operate and help around when need it.
Pros
good hours
Cons
short breaks
Feel like working with family
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 16, 2016
Have been working with this company for almost 12 yrs. At the Airport you just never know, Im a opener, some days start busy some are, you and your crew will have to be ready at all times. Managers are very helpful when needed, my coworkers are awesome every one comes in ready to work .
Pros
10 dollar coupon for lunch
alot of work
Team member (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEMay 16, 2016
the hours were reasonable, but you only had 30minutes lunch break, for an 8 hour shift. you couldn't take no breaks. The work was easy but during noon it would get extremely packed and you would feel overwhelmed with so much work and little employers.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
too much work for little pay
Disorganized, a mess of a place to work
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 9, 2015
Hmshost has a lot of improving to make at many of their locations. Although their upper management is supportive in every way, there is just not enough time in the day to fix everything that is wrong with their locations. Required to work 12+ hours a day with no breaks sometimes. Not enough management on site at one time. Needs a lot of worker. There is potential though.
Pros
SUPPORTIVE UPPER MANAGEMENT
Cons
WORK ATMOSPHERE IS HIGH STRESS, PUTTING OUT FIRES ALL DAY, NOT ENOUGH COMPENSATION
A multi-unit fast-paced environment
Food and Beverage Store Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 20, 2016
I loved the fast-paced environment where for just a minute I was able to make our customers travel better.
HMSHost gave me the opportunity to grow as a person and as a professional, always providing me with tools to be successful.
Very laid back and very professional setting
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Pierce, FLDecember 3, 2015
I learned how to open and close the store, how to work in HR including hiring, firing and conflict resolution, how to pay the company's bills, how to order supplies we needed from multiple vendors, running cash registers, counting all of the money at the end of the night and handling massive volumes of customers.
Pros
Free lunches, discount on merchandise, excellent management
Cons
Sometimes short breaks
It is a Union staff run by a Management company
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 7, 2016
It is an interesting and fun place to work. However work conditions are a challenge. The company operates within the airport.
Pros
The staff and management work hard under difficult conditions
Cons
Work conditions are difficult at times
Excellent place of employment for growing a career
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 28, 2015
Very laid back stress free work environment. Excellent management team on all levels. People first company. Work phones are provided. My coworkers are amazing and always helpful. My most enjoyable moments are when I am helping customers make their days better. My hardest part of working here is trying to please everyone's schedule needs. CLE PD is very nice and are located at podiums on every terminal so you feel very secure. HMS provides parking passes so we do not have to pay for parking at the airport.
Pros
OT, insurance, healthcare
Cons
Alot of long work days