HNI Corporation Employee Reviews

Decent workplace
Supply Chain Analyst (Current Employee) –  Muscatine, IA 52761October 10, 2017
average pay with lots of no value added work that gets pawned off on you by management, and very little knowledge of individuals daily workflow. Very old school in many practices and many individuals are not held responsible for their work or lack thereof. Makes it difficult to make change due to so many resistant to change minded management individuals.
Great opportunities for career advancement, poor vacation compensation
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Muscatine, IASeptember 16, 2017
Pros: HNI fully supports career advancement and has a great company culture. This is a great place to work if you want ample opportunities for lateral and vertical career moves, and everyone is supportive of members trying out a role that may not necessarily be their typical field of work.

Cons: Main con is the vacation compensation. HNI is headquartered in a very small Iowa town, so one would think they would offer a little more vacation time to keep members happy. You start with no vacation, and by the end of your first year you will have accumulated 10 days. This rate is largely non-negotiable, and it does not change until you have been there for 4 years at which point you would accumulate a total of only 12 days per year.
Pros
Career advancement
Cons
Vacation
Good Company
Product Development Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Muscatine, IASeptember 11, 2017
There was great opportunity for development at this company as an Engineer. Management above you can be quite fluid at times with rapid changes occurring throughout, but there is a good culture, especially at The HON Company
Great place for a Summer Internship
IT Intern (Former Employee) –  Muscatine, IASeptember 7, 2017
HNI puts on a huge Intern program for the summer. They give most of the Interns free local housing and provide various events throughout the summer. They put on all intern Lunch & Learns every week, as well as job specific Lunch & Learns for each group of interns. They grouped up the four IT Interns and put us on one project for the summer. They gave us a few days to dive into the software we would be using, then put us to work. Some of the tasks were typical intern tasks, but most of the work was challenging and engaging.
The workplace environment is fantastic. Everyone is willing to help you and point you in the right direction for anything. I wanted to learn more about Cyber Security, so the next day I was able to shadow the security team.
Overall, great company and a wonderful internship experience!
Pros
Fun Co-Workers, Free Housing, Great Office Furniture
Cons
Parking
Great place
Cell Operator (Current Employee) –  Muscatine, IAAugust 25, 2017
Long hrs ok pay great pay hard work winter slow hrs lots of advancement lots of employment opportunities lots of training. Good benefits good vacation company picknic
Pros
Great people
Cons
Expect too much
Approachable, fun team to work
Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Muscatine, IAAugust 24, 2017
Teams are open to listen and accept new ideas, give equal opportunity to all the members, no hierarchy or favoritism, emphasize on getting the job done in the best possible way.
Flexible, positive enviroment
Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Muscatine, IA 52761August 21, 2017
I love what i do and were i work, The hours are very flexible for me with young kids. The atmosphere is great, and everyone is great to work with. I am just looking for career advancement and having a hard time finding it here.
Productive and fulfilling pace to work
Distribution Center Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 14, 2017
Great member culture, quality, quality, quality, continuous improvement, metrics driven, manufacturing focused, good supervisors, opportunities galore
Pros
member culture
Cons
location
fast paced, look for results - "Fail fast and learn from it"
Quality Manager (Current Employee) –  Muscatine, IAJune 22, 2017
Great group of people but management wants answers fast. Don't bring up an issue unless you know root cause, and associated action plan now! Too any meetings
Good company culture and place to start your career
Product Development Engineer (Current Employee) –  Muscatine, IAJune 21, 2017
Great company culture, opportunities for multiple roles. Need to offer more PTO or compensation to keep talent there. Muscatine, IA not a destination.
Pros
Good culture, people and opportunities
Cons
Not enough vacation or unique benefits
Loved it
MRO Buyer (Former Employee) –  Florence, ALMay 26, 2017
This place knew what it was like to work as a team. It's a real shame this location closed. I had the greatest work experience there than anywhere I've ever worked.
Pros
awesome people
Cons
it closed
Hni life
Material Handler/CNC operator (Current Employee) –  Muscatine, IAMay 10, 2017
I had started working for hni when i had found out that me and my girlfriend where expecting, they hired me right away full time, i work hard for them, started as a fork truck driver and busted my butt for everyone all day long, love the amount of reasonable that came with the job, after that, moved to a cnc position, about two to three months into the new position, i began to loss my motivation for the job, it became more of a fixed, you standed here cut this put it here cut this put it there and do it fast, no skill really needed for job
lot of possibilities for advancement for those willing to put in work
CNC Wood Fabrication Dept (Former Employee) –  Muscatine, IAMarch 27, 2017
was a good midway job as I looked for something else in my skill set. the pay was competative and livable but advancement required knowing someone closely or having 4 year degree.
Pros
competitive livable wage - plenty of hours
Cons
hard on the body in some positions - tough advancement
Good work life balance
Finance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 20, 2017
HNI's "member culture" emphasizes the work-life balance of their employees. The tone from senior leaders reflects this and a commitment to member development.
Pros
Emphasis on member culture
Cons
No cons - enjoy working for HNI Corporation
It was stressful
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Muscatine, IADecember 29, 2016
A typical day was going non-stop from the time we arrived until we left at the end of the day. Things were always going wrong because they were changing our working environments so it was hard to adjust to the job we were hired to do. I did learn how to manage my time well and how to take charge when issues arise and problem solve. Most of the co-workers were amazing and we still remain friends to this day but some were favored over others so they didn't treat everyone equally. The most enjoyable part of my job was challenging myself and achieving the goals I set out for my own personal achievement.
Pros
The people on my line became like family.
Cons
We were always in some sort of trouble. We could never seem to please the management.
Great environment at a company that helps you to grow personally and professional
HNI International - Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Muscatine, IADecember 12, 2016
The work environment is great, they treat you like members rather than employees. They setup each person up for success. Hard work is rewarded with many chances to move up within the company.
Former Accounts Payable Analyst
Accounts Payable Analyst (Former Employee) –  Muscatine, IAJune 29, 2016
Allsteel corporation is a great company to work for, amazing people and great pay. Being promoted to HNI corporate office was the worst decision of my life. Unprofessional and childlike behavior was exhibited by the women that work in Shared Services. Promoted people with little to no skills because they knew people. Educated and great individuals were let go or treated badly.
Pros
Money
Cons
Everything but the money
My experience with HNI has helped me to grow as a person and in the work force
Rci technician (Former Employee) –  Muscatine, IANovember 14, 2015
Typical work day includes meeting members to help them understand how to get more involved in their job and how to make it a better place to work, safely and profitably.
I entered information in several different data bases concerning members training as well as attendance, member numbers.
I also kept track of any and all certificates of insurance..
I learned how to communicate the proper way with members and management. My manager was very eager to help me learn and taught me a lot.
Hardest part of the job was listening to their complaints about their own job and not being able to help them in my position. Also having a heavy workload at the end of the week.
Most enjoyable was without a doubt working with everyone and helping them in any way I could.
Pros
I had my own schedule
Cons
Hours
A fair business to build lift truck experience
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Muscatine, IAOctober 19, 2015
Over time work is all was available for most of the year. Loading and unloading trailers is a good way to stay in shape. Management is all was is looking for employees to move and learn new areas of the warehouse.
Good Company to gain experience
CNC Operator and Welder (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAJune 8, 2015
HNI has been a great place to not only work but also to gain the experience needed for me to learn the field that I am currently studying. HNI has also helped me gain the knowledge that I need to go on and experience other opportunities and to move forward in my career and be successful in my future.
Pros
knowledge gained and the amazing benefits.
Cons
not able to move forward with the company