HNTB Corporation Employee Reviews

Good experience working with HNTB. Worked as consultant to FDOT.
Operations Supervisor/Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 20, 2017
Great company to work for with decent benefits. Professional and courteous. They are efficient with everything I've been involved with. Job security has been excellent.
Good Job for Years
Civil Engineering/CAD Technician (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 4, 2016
I worked here for 16 years. I enjoyed HNTB until the last few years there.

They went corporate and everything changed. It was all about the numbers now. The atmosphere went from friendly and easy to tense and everyone for themselves.

I went from drafting on the board to AutoCAD while at HNTB.

There was a wide variety of projects.
Pros
Good atomshere and projects
Cons
The benefits and vacation we not too good.
Not like it used to be, false promises
Operator II (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLDecember 15, 2016
Excluding the shift supervisors, management, including the ITS manager for the client, lead by fear and not example, and they are all cowards. They are concerned more about themselves rather than the operations staff. They don't encourage staff or thank them for their hard work, ever. Low morale=high turnover. Staff is walking out and they are unable to replace. Word gets around. If walking on hot coals and broken glass daily from start to finish for low pay is your Idea of a job, then this is for you. Otherwise, county and city governments are hiring for much better pay. Join at your own risk. I will be out the door as soon as another opportunity arrives.
Pros
Some good co-workers, great learning experience, nothing else.
Cons
Management, including the client's ITS manager, high volume of turnover, no advancement opportunities within location, low pay.
great place to work
Intern Transportation Engineer (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXOctober 7, 2016
Using Microstation for design and working as a team to accomplish projects. requires you work full time to get things done.
Pros
company has great benifits
Cons
great company with great benefits
Engineer II/ Engineer III (Current Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLAugust 18, 2016
The company is very focused on making clients happy and providing a good workplace environment. They are focused only on projects that make their brand stand out.
Pros
Free Lunches, all benefits
Cons
Limited Offices Nationwide
They always had my back.
Project Administrator/Estimator (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FlJuly 28, 2016
I just retired from HNTB after 18 years with the company. Miss it already and the friendly and professional people. The projects that HNTB acquires are always exciting and some of the largest in the nation. I read some of the negative comments, and would like to say that in my 18 years with the company, I never ran across any employees or supervisors that were not part of the team. Some employees work harder than others and have a different outlook in the workplace. This is true with any company, and yes it is a big company and growing bigger all the time. I never felt lost. HNTB is an employee owned company, and that factor alone says a lot for the attitude of the employees.

The stock value has always been way above the average company of this type. With any job, if in your heart you desire to perform in another position, you have to coordinate this with you supervisor and convince him/her that you really do want a different position. Be sure you research the position and be prepared to tell management what you plan on doing and why you want the position. I have seen structural engineers become Project Managers and take on 15-20 projects for the first time, Inspectors become Project Engineers, and Project Managers become division leaders. This is all because they wanted to be successful, they wanted a challenge, and of course being there at the right time and place, (normal in life for any job).

I personally was in the CE&I division and was a Project Administrator and Office Engineer on a number of construction projects. I wanted more, so I transferred to Production/Design
  more... and ended up my career as an Estimator with HNTB at the Florida Turnpike. I took the position because I knew I could do it, and HNTB always had my back. If you want to have a career with an excellent company, HNTB is one that will take you far and the company benefits are some of the best in the industry.  less
Best Place to Work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 18, 2016
Superb management and coworkers. Awesome place to work. Love my job. I would like to retire here. I enjoy everything about my job.
Pros
Flexible, Salary, Coworkers
Cons
Not a lot of room to grow
Productive and Professional Work Environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 6, 2016
During a typical day I would answer and return phone calls, greet customers, schedule meetings, book travel arrangements, work on I-Expense reports and also update or refine the data sheet for the expense reports. Made sure that the break room and conference room stayed clean, and also made sure that there was fresh coffee available through out the day. During my free time I would work on the to-do list for the Human Resource Manager calendar, and help schedule meetings and appointments for other co-workers through the office that didn't have time to manger their calendar. I would also order office supplies, send or pay bills, check and prepare incoming and outgoing mailing. If there were conference meetings going on I would prepare all documents that were needed, order lunch for the meetings, and check periodically to see if they needed anything.

The team staff and management were always very professional and kind. I enjoyed working for the wonderful company, there was nothing that I didn't like about it.
Pros
Great work enironment
Cons
NONE
Productive and fun place to work with a foosball table.
Engineer/Track Designer (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 28, 2016
Great co-workers, and excellent middle-managers and project managers who care about their team members and work being done. I have been exposed to a lot of interesting projects, and have had opportunities to work in client-facing roles beyond my experience level.

The executive leadership team feels isolated from the project delivery staff, and the company overall is very risk adverse. Career advancement is very rigid from a corporate perspective, but direct supervisors make good effort to put you in positions to excel and advance your career in the desired trajectory.
Pros
Good work-life balance, Opportunity to work on multiple projects
Cons
Poor career development tools
Architecture Practice Promotes Mediocracy
Architect (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 21, 2016
1. Local architecture office leader lacks vision beyond his office door. Good guy, just not prepared to lead an office of this stature. Not clear what special skills, traits or other things he brings to the table.
2. Architecture office's director of design is not an architect. Lacks any qualifications beyond an undergrad degree. Technically suspect designs cause problems for clients later down the road.
3. Massive staff departures in 2016 due to poor leadership and dim outlook for winning work.
Pros
Sports practice leader is valued throughout the industry, Some good architects still there
Cons
Poor leadership.
Top Heavy with No Room for Growth
Architect (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 3, 2015
The current NYC office seems to care more about hiring then developing their current staff. It was absolutely impossible to get promoted there; people work for 3-5 years without being given credit for their added responsibilities or licenses. And as they don't promoted from within, and yet they hire people. This has completely affected moral in multiple departments and is creating tension.

Very top heavy with all of the senior level staff being from the same background (former AECOM rail engineers) and no diversity or influence from multiple departments or people who have been with the company for a long time. The focus - only focus - is rail and all other departments get the short end of the stick with project pursues and support.

The people who work there are great, and the work architecture use to get (like 2 years ago) was interesting, but the absorption into one office has done more harm then good. They no longer pursue buildings or stations and have created a department that just supports engineering projects. As a result the architecture department has become a revolving door, with over 10 people leaving in the last 2 years.
Pros
Salary, Benefits
Cons
Senior Management, Projects, Room for Growth, HR
Good Place
Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 13, 2016
Management cares. Coworkers are great. Just most people have been there forever. So, there are very little room for advancement if that's your desire.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
No Advancement
"People are assets " is a joke in this company
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  New York StateJuly 15, 2016
There are a lot of gangs in the office. The billable hours are controlled by some VPs. A lot of new VPs are retired officer from public agencies.
Pros
Good office looking
Cons
Incapable senior management team
Great group to work with
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXOctober 23, 2015
Great place to work. Good team environment. Benefits were outstanding. Management was very professional. Tools for productivity were given. Would recommend working there if asked.
Great Company. No Advancement Potential. Compensation Decent. Not Stressful.
Engineer I (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 22, 2012
The job itself isn't very strenuous or time-consuming. They do a good job of balancing your work/life. The management is decent but the company itself is very top-heavy. The entry-level folks don't get the respect they deserve.
Pros
great benefits, not difficult.
Good company with broad range of jobs
Project Engineer/Squad Leader (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 8, 2016
HNTB is a top 10 civil engineering firm in the nation with exposure to many projects in the transportation industry. The company has a culture of developing junior engineers, but it's not consistent amongst all offices. The sky is the limit if you can connect with a successful mentor in the office.
Fun and educational every day at work.
High School Intern (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 9, 2016
My work at HNTB usually consisted of labeling highways and editing charts in Microsoft Excel. I loved it because I would also get to use AutoCAD to create my own drawings when I was not using it to annotate intersections and streets of Columbus.My co-workers usually gave me the work I got to do every day and they were wonderful for managing my time. The hardest part of the job was keeping up when I had large work loads some days. The most enjoyable part of the internship was meeting and working with new people. I had a great experience with HNTB and I am looking forward to do my internship there again in June.
Pros
learning something new everyday
Cons
leaving the job
Nice environment, very friendly people
Architectural Designer/BIM (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 15, 2016
HNTB is a nice architectural company.. One of the best that I have ever been, although they do not easily absorb employees from a recruiter or agencies but it's understandable because I think they just want to secure their own staffs once you have proven your self worth. But once you get on board, i think they will guide you with your career advancement.
Good pay yes, valued employee no
Na (Former Employee) –  KcmoFebruary 9, 2013
Only work for this company for the good pay and benefits because they will not care about you, your future or what you have accomplished. You are completely disposable. The goal of this company is to make money for the men running the company.
Pros
salary and benefits
Cons
management
Lots of great engineers who want to succeed
Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 16, 2014
Great engineering company with long history. Unfortunately there has been significant turnover at the top of the organization except for the one individual at the very top who needs to go.
Pros
Great benefits and pay
Cons
Disconnected leadership, company is struggling to achieve earnings so work environment is dog eat dog.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HNTB Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.