HNTB Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

Productive and fun place to work with a foosball table.
Engineer/Track Designer (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 28, 2016
Great co-workers, and excellent middle-managers and project managers who care about their team members and work being done. I have been exposed to a lot of interesting projects, and have had opportunities to work in client-facing roles beyond my experience level.

The executive leadership team feels isolated from the project delivery staff, and the company overall is very risk adverse. Career advancement is very rigid from a corporate perspective, but direct supervisors make good effort to put you in positions to excel and advance your career in the desired trajectory.
Pros
Good work-life balance, Opportunity to work on multiple projects
Cons
Poor career development tools
not as good as it used to be
Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLSeptember 5, 2015
Client only cares about appearance not performance. FDOT ITS manager and 2 HNTB employees are the main clique and always scheme to get rid of people. ITS manager used to work for HNTB and now for FDOT. The guy is trouble and is not liked by anyone except his clique. HNTB management has no backbone and will not care if you leave or get dropped from the contract.
Pros
great learning experience
Cons
salary, no advancement opportunities, continuous micromanagement by FDOT ITS manager
Great group to work with
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXOctober 23, 2015
Great place to work. Good team environment. Benefits were outstanding. Management was very professional. Tools for productivity were given. Would recommend working there if asked.
Fun and educational every day at work.
High School Intern (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 9, 2016
My work at HNTB usually consisted of labeling highways and editing charts in Microsoft Excel. I loved it because I would also get to use AutoCAD to create my own drawings when I was not using it to annotate intersections and streets of Columbus.My co-workers usually gave me the work I got to do every day and they were wonderful for managing my time. The hardest part of the job was keeping up when I had large work loads some days. The most enjoyable part of the internship was meeting and working with new people. I had a great experience with HNTB and I am looking forward to do my internship there again in June.
Pros
learning something new everyday
Cons
leaving the job
Top Heavy with No Room for Growth
Architect (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 3, 2015
The current NYC office seems to care more about hiring then developing their current staff. It was absolutely impossible to get promoted there; people work for 3-5 years without being given credit for their added responsibilities or licenses. And as they don't promoted from within, and yet they hire people. This has completely affected moral in multiple departments and is creating tension.

Very top heavy with all of the senior level staff being from the same background (former AECOM rail engineers) and no diversity or influence from multiple departments or people who have been with the company for a long time. The focus - only focus - is rail and all other departments get the short end of the stick with project pursues and support.

The people who work there are great, and the work architecture use to get (like 2 years ago) was interesting, but the absorption into one office has done more harm then good. They no longer pursue buildings or stations and have created a department that just supports engineering projects. As a result the architecture department has become a revolving door, with over 10 people leaving in the last 2 years.
Pros
Salary, Benefits
Cons
Senior Management, Projects, Room for Growth, HR
Nice environment, very friendly people
Architectural Designer/BIM (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 15, 2016
HNTB is a nice architectural company.. One of the best that I have ever been, although they do not easily absorb employees from a recruiter or agencies but it's understandable because I think they just want to secure their own staffs once you have proven your self worth. But once you get on board, i think they will guide you with your career advancement.
Good work/life balance
Senior Project Analyst - Finance (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 2, 2016
Flexible work schedules helps maintain good work/life balance. Options to work from home on occasion if needed. Internal job opportunities - for growth within company.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
stability
Quite workplace
Technology Support Representative I (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 2, 2015
- A typical day is 8-5
- General office skills
- management was easy to work for
- Co-workers were quite, and mostly kept to themselves
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
No room for advancement
Long-standing organization with a good reputation
Systems Integrator (Former Employee) –  Kansas CityOctober 22, 2015
The more enjoyable part of working at this organization was working alongside people who were smart and innovative. The overall pace of this environment allowed for good work/life balance and opportunities for professional growth were available for those who were willing to take on new challenges.
Good company with broad range of jobs
Project Engineer/Squad Leader (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 8, 2016
HNTB is a top 10 civil engineering firm in the nation with exposure to many projects in the transportation industry. The company has a culture of developing junior engineers, but it's not consistent amongst all offices. The sky is the limit if you can connect with a successful mentor in the office.
Fun place to work
Project Controls Engineer (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 8, 2016
HNTB by far is the best Place I have worked. I love the people that I worked with the management, everyone was nice. I work in the I-15 in Utah with a good group of well respected people.
Excellent Employee Owned Company
Senior Contract Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 6, 2015
HNTB is a 100 year old employee owned civil engineering company. The culture and contract assignment could not have been better. I miss some of my co-workers.
Pros
Actually, there was always food around. . .almost too much, but it was nice of management to share catered lunches.
Cons
Not any that I can think of.
Great work environment
Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 10, 2016
HNTB is one of the best places to work. I really enjoyed going to work everyday, I hate that I left this company to pursue other opportunity that didn't work out for me. My manager was the best person to work with.
Best Place to Work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 18, 2016
Superb management and coworkers. Awesome place to work. Love my job. I would like to retire here. I enjoy everything about my job.
Pros
Flexible, Salary, Coworkers
Cons
Not a lot of room to grow
Good Place
Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 13, 2016
Management cares. Coworkers are great. Just most people have been there forever. So, there are very little room for advancement if that's your desire.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
No Advancement
Ups and downs.
Project Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 12, 2015
Management is great in some areas of the country and not so much in others. Great place to learn the ropes of the business. Way too much management and little room for growth.
Good company - Good benefits
Project Manager II (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 7, 2015
Company with good reputation in the Transportation Market. It is a good place to gain experience and move to a better company. Your title doesn't, necessarily, define your work.
Amazing Career
Civil Engineer Technician II (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 18, 2015
If I could choose a company that was set up correctly, this would be it. I wish the job market didn't dump so quickly after I started working here, as I was laid off. This was some excellent experience and I'll always appreciate and lift this company up.
Pros
pay, managment, coworkers, work
Cons
at the time, job market laid off 6.7% of the company, including myself
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 20, 2015
HNTB was a great place to work. The employees was always willing to give a helping hand. The managers make sure the employees are trained for their positions.
Lots of great engineers who want to succeed
Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 16, 2014
Great engineering company with long history. Unfortunately there has been significant turnover at the top of the organization except for the one individual at the very top who needs to go.
Pros
great benefits and pay
Cons
disconnected leadership, company is struggling to achieve earnings so work environment is dog eat dog.