HNTB Corporation Employee Reviews

great company
Program manager / System Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fort Benning, GAAugust 8, 2017
I can not say enough good things about this company, home based out of KC. They care about their employees and the job that they have been trained to do
Pros
everything
Cons
contract ended
Poor IT Management
Solution Developer III (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 7, 2017
Management is not technical and therefore not equipped to lead a technical team. As a female, I was paid far less than my male counter parts. Management also did not treat all employees equally.
good
Engineer ІІ (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 31, 2017
decent work place. great atmosphere friendly staff the manager are encouraging and the best part of my job is getting pay , I respect the weekly update that keep us informed about new development
Pros
room for growth
Cons
very busy work schedule
One of the best jobs I've ever had!
MARKETING (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 18, 2017
The arm that I worked for was HNTB Architecture, Inc. This group is tenacious, engaged, passionate, and willing to do the hard work and put in the long hours to reap the benefits.

Inclusive environment.

Leadership was willing to navigate the rough waters and challenge themselves.
Pros
Leadership was willing to navigate the rough waters and challenge themselves.
Cons
Engineering leadership doesn't seem to place high value on Architecture brand
Great experience
Mechanical Engineer II (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 19, 2017
NTB Corporation is an employee-owned infrastructure solutions firm serving public and private owners and contractors. With more than a century of service, HNTB understands the life cycle of infrastructure and addresses clients’ most complex technical, financial and operational challenges. Professionals deliver a full range of infrastructure-related services, including award-winning planning, design, program and construction management.
hard work
Construction Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60621June 18, 2017
very friendly company its a good job to have if your heart ins into construction. they have excellent jobs available for many different people. they pay great!
Company led by the incompetant
Project Analyst II (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaMay 26, 2017
Management does not lead by example and make extremely irresponsible decisions. A very brief attempt is made each year to try and plan for employees careers, with little to no outcome from going through the process. If you want to work with managers that even attempt to advance and promote career growth look elsewhere.
Pros
There is a good degree of autonomy
Cons
Management is horrible and limited to no discussion of career growth
Productive company with plenty of options to advance and work.
Civil Engineer Sr. Inspector (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 22, 2017
This is one of the best companies I have worked for . The upper management with their open door policy is a welcoming characteristic. I've been a contractor myself as well as work in management for contractors. HNTB will find the tools you need to be successful.
Pros
Not micro-managed
Cons
Lack of experienced help
Good experience working with HNTB. Worked as consultant to FDOT.
Operations Supervisor/Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 20, 2017
Great company to work for with decent benefits. Professional and courteous. They are efficient with everything I've been involved with. Job security has been excellent.
Not like it used to be, false promises
Operator II (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLDecember 15, 2016
Excluding the shift supervisors, management, including the ITS manager for the client, lead by fear and not example, and they are all cowards. They are concerned more about themselves rather than the operations staff. They don't encourage staff or thank them for their hard work, ever. Low morale=high turnover. Staff is walking out and they are unable to replace. Word gets around. If walking on hot coals and broken glass daily from start to finish for low pay is your Idea of a job, then this is for you. Otherwise, county and city governments are hiring for much better pay. Join at your own risk. I will be out the door as soon as another opportunity arrives.
Pros
Some good co-workers, great learning experience, nothing else.
Cons
Management, including the client's ITS manager, high volume of turnover, no advancement opportunities within location, low pay.
great place to work
Intern Transportation Engineer (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXOctober 7, 2016
Using Microstation for design and working as a team to accomplish projects. requires you work full time to get things done.
Pros
company has great benifits
Good Job for Years
Civil Engineering/CAD Technician (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 4, 2016
I worked here for 16 years. I enjoyed HNTB until the last few years there.

They went corporate and everything changed. It was all about the numbers now. The atmosphere went from friendly and easy to tense and everyone for themselves.

I went from drafting on the board to AutoCAD while at HNTB.

There was a wide variety of projects.
Pros
Good atomshere and projects
Cons
The benefits and vacation we not too good.
Productive and Professional Work Environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 6, 2016
During a typical day I would answer and return phone calls, greet customers, schedule meetings, book travel arrangements, work on I-Expense reports and also update or refine the data sheet for the expense reports. Made sure that the break room and conference room stayed clean, and also made sure that there was fresh coffee available through out the day. During my free time I would work on the to-do list for the Human Resource Manager calendar, and help schedule meetings and appointments for other co-workers through the office that didn't have time to manger their calendar. I would also order office supplies, send or pay bills, check and prepare incoming and outgoing mailing. If there were conference meetings going on I would prepare all documents that were needed, order lunch for the meetings, and check periodically to see if they needed anything.

The team staff and management were always very professional and kind. I enjoyed working for the wonderful company, there was nothing that I didn't like about it.
Pros
Great work enironment
Cons
great company with great benefits
Engineer II/ Engineer III (Current Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLAugust 18, 2016
The company is very focused on making clients happy and providing a good workplace environment. They are focused only on projects that make their brand stand out.
Pros
Free Lunches, all benefits
Cons
Limited Offices Nationwide
They always had my back.
Project Administrator/Estimator (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FlJuly 28, 2016
I just retired from HNTB after 18 years with the company. Miss it already and the friendly and professional people. The projects that HNTB acquires are always exciting and some of the largest in the nation. I read some of the negative comments, and would like to say that in my 18 years with the company, I never ran across any employees or supervisors that were not part of the team. Some employees work harder than others and have a different outlook in the workplace. This is true with any company, and yes it is a big company and growing bigger all the time. I never felt lost. HNTB is an employee owned company, and that factor alone says a lot for the attitude of the employees.

The stock value has always been way above the average company of this type. With any job, if in your heart you desire to perform in another position, you have to coordinate this with you supervisor and convince him/her that you really do want a different position. Be sure you research the position and be prepared to tell management what you plan on doing and why you want the position. I have seen structural engineers become Project Managers and take on 15-20 projects for the first time, Inspectors become Project Engineers, and Project Managers become division leaders. This is all because they wanted to be successful, they wanted a challenge, and of course being there at the right time and place, (normal in life for any job).

I personally was in the CE&I division and was a Project Administrator and Office Engineer on a number of construction projects. I wanted more, so I transferred to Production/Design
  more... and ended up my career as an Estimator with HNTB at the Florida Turnpike. I took the position because I knew I could do it, and HNTB always had my back. If you want to have a career with an excellent company, HNTB is one that will take you far and the company benefits are some of the best in the industry.  less
"People are assets " is a joke in this company
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  New York StateJuly 15, 2016
There are a lot of gangs in the office. The billable hours are controlled by some VPs. A lot of new VPs are retired officer from public agencies.
Pros
Good office looking
Cons
Incapable senior management team
Architecture Practice Promotes Mediocracy
Architect (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 21, 2016
1. Local architecture office leader lacks vision beyond his office door. Good guy, just not prepared to lead an office of this stature. Not clear what special skills, traits or other things he brings to the table.
2. Architecture office's director of design is not an architect. Lacks any qualifications beyond an undergrad degree. Technically suspect designs cause problems for clients later down the road.
3. Massive staff departures in 2016 due to poor leadership and dim outlook for winning work.
Pros
Sports practice leader is valued throughout the industry, Some good architects still there
Cons
Poor leadership.
Best Place to Work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 18, 2016
Superb management and coworkers. Awesome place to work. Love my job. I would like to retire here. I enjoy everything about my job.
Pros
Flexible, Salary, Coworkers
Cons
Not a lot of room to grow
Good Place
Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 13, 2016
Management cares. Coworkers are great. Just most people have been there forever. So, there are very little room for advancement if that's your desire.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
No Advancement
Good company with broad range of jobs
Project Engineer/Squad Leader (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 8, 2016
HNTB is a top 10 civil engineering firm in the nation with exposure to many projects in the transportation industry. The company has a culture of developing junior engineers, but it's not consistent amongst all offices. The sky is the limit if you can connect with a successful mentor in the office.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HNTB Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.