Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc.

Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc. Employer Reviews

Grreat Company
DEPARTMENT MANAGER (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCAugust 20, 2014
Pros: healthcare, schedules, closed on sundays
Cons: inventory
I love working here plain and simple. It was retail so nothing was hard abut it. I learned about merchandising being the I was a dept manager.
It was a fun place to work because I was surrounded by a great group of people.
Seasonal/Temporary (Current Employee), Lawrenceville, GAAugust 19, 2014
Pros: $10.00 hourly pay with full benefits
Cons: there's not enough traffic in the store to obtain a lot of hours
Being part of the store set and tare crew, a typical day at work for me was packing merchandise from one store location and unpacking it at the new store location. This was a new learning experience for me because I never assisted in store set or tare crew before. In my experience of doing store set I learned a lot about the process of setting up the – more... store and the amount of work it takes. It was a lot of hard work and I am grateful for being able to experience it do to the fact that I would love to do visual merchandising for a career. I guess the hardest part of the job was pushing through being sore from the previous days work and staying energized during the 10+ hour shifts towards the end of store set. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with people who cared about the company and store. It was pleasant to work with such a huge group of ambitious and hard working people who did not take their position lightly, like myself. It makes it easier to get the job down when you're working with people who care about the job as much as you do. – less
All workers are productive and having fun working
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee), Dublin, CAAugust 15, 2014
Pros: lunch for forty five mins. for eight hour work.
Cons: two fifteen mins. break for eight hour work.
This company is a fun place to work, I've learned new techniques in marketing, and new ways in attracting customers. The management is so great, the management team is so friendly and approachable. All of our co-workers are so nice and friendly, we are just like brothers and sisters. I still not encountered the part that is considered the hardest since – more... I started working with Hobby Lobby. Almost all the time are enjoyable part maybe because of the nature of the job and the bonding that all of us workers and management team have. – less
Not For the Efficiency Minded, Nor the Creative
Art and Hobby Lead (Former Employee), Lakewood, WAAugust 13, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: everything else
My coworkers were amazing. We all were hired on with Hobby Lobby to open a new store in the area. 75 team members were hired and we were all told that it would be dropped to half that to keep the crew after the store was set up. From THAT half, only a handful would receive full time positions. The store set was a combination of boot camp (extremely – more... physically demanding) and the Hunger Games (competing with each other and unable to trust anyone).

Once I made the cut, not only to the crew, but also as a lead, it quickly became apparent that the company is a bizarre mixture of cutting corners without actually maximizing efficiency. Instead of using a standard database of their SKUs and bar codes, they instead provide "job security" by insisting that all product be manually ordered, priced, and then rung up. In all steps of the product management, this is a slow and frustrating process.

In conjunction with a complete lack of efficiency, the company insists that payroll be kept to the bare minimum. This backward set of ideas keeps all full time employees in a constant state of stress and panic.

Which is when the last issue that I have with this company comes into play. On top of the frustration and panic, they then pile a big, steaming heap of bad morale. Managers tell you that there's no way to change things to make them better, that corporate doesn't care, that they're in the same terrible position as well. I was often told, when I asked why we had to work 12 hour days each Friday, that I had it good because managers had to work at least 3 open-close shifts each week. There was no interest in making things better for employees. I was also often told that I should just stop suggesting improvements and be grateful that I even had a job.

Only work here if you must, and only for as long as you have to. The only positive about this company is that they pay decently. – less
Good pay
Seasonal Department Head (Current Employee), Overland Park, KSAugust 12, 2014
Pros: good pay and denifits
Cons: management is hard to work with and never know what department you work in from one day to the next.
Hobby Lobby offers good pay for a retail job and I enjoy the work,
Overall, not a bad place to work.
Order Puller (Current Employee), Oklahoma City, OKAugust 10, 2014
Pros: great pay
Cons: will not work with school schedule
Great pay, insurance is about average priced as any bigger business. The work isn't too hard but it is a lot of walking.
Store Management
Co-Manager (Current Employee), Knoxville, TNAugust 10, 2014
Pros: interesting products
Cons: unrealistic expectations of store employees
If you are prepared to give your entire life to a job then this might be the job for you. Work 6 am to 10 pm a couple of times a week and work 6 day weeks most of the time. Intense physical labor, No social life and an environment where crying over being chewed out by upper management is considered normal.
Great place
Sales Associate, Cashier (Current Employee), Longview, TXAugust 9, 2014
When I get there start working in my department which is sesonal, love working with my co-workers, and my management. Working at a fast pace job and everyone there.
Hobby Lobby
cashier (Former Employee), Wichita, KSAugust 7, 2014
Cons: everything
the Hobby Lobby way was never giving you help. No one knew what they were doing, if you asked questions to the manager's or long time staff you would get this " its the hobby way of not knowing anything!" it was a job that had more negative then positive and it ran you done. signs in the building was to confuse the shoppers so it was always cheating – more... the people. if things was broken they would charge full price, no military discounts, no senior citizen discounts. the hours was from 5:30a to Done and that would be 12a or 1a the next morning. – less
Poor managment, Poor Training
Cashier (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 7, 2014
Pros: good hours
Cons: poor training
This job was okay, until I got a write up for something I was not trained on. This was my first job, and I feel like they did not treat it as so, the overall experience was horrible.
Able to maintain clean, neat and correctly stocked check stand and safe and secure work area
Cashier (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIAugust 7, 2014
the job was a good job. i met alot of good people, the hardes part was the holiday busy season.
Relaxed Enrinment
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Warner Robons, GAAugust 6, 2014
Great work schedule and hours, Enjoyable task and opperations
Color theory, problem solving, creative enviornment
Framer (Current Employee), Southlake, TXAugust 5, 2014
A work day started with a morning checklist of machine maintenance and turning the shop into production and beginning the day. Typically a single framer would open for the day and began to cut matting and assembling framing projects. As the day progressed consumers would come requiring design assistants with their framing projects ranging from basic – more... readymade/custom frames and matting to the challenging shadowbox with multiple layers of matting, frames dimensional pieces; jersey's, pocket watches, baseball bats, guns, and much more. The day would continue some times with a mid-shift frame helping taking orders and the assembly process. Some days the foot traffic could get wild so a cool head was a necessity to make the day go smoothly. At the end of the day another maintenance check and thorough cleaning of the frame shop to get ready for the next day of business.
Through my years working with the company the design skills came naturally to me, but my comfort with consumers did not. There was a lot of self growth, I gained confidence in my communication skills with the general public while discussing their design options. As well as working with a team of framers that would not only be working on their orders but possibly an order or two that was taken by me and in return I would assemble an order they had taken.
Of the three locations of Hobby Lobby that I had worked in they all had something in common with uniquely creative framers working in the shops. Many were highly driven to produce that best possible product for our customers.
As great was it was to work with those creative framers sometimes we fell short with backup help. At the start of our employment in the framing department all framers and management must go though a certification process. Many times management avoided this certification and as well as the frame shop. There was also a requirement of other employees who are able to pass the certification process to be crossed trained to provide backup, breaks, lunches, and even in cases of illness to cover the framing counter so the shop would not be closed during business hours. So with the lack of a crossed trained employees many times a framer would be left alone for most of their shift unable to be productive in the assembly, helping customers, taking a 15 minute break, and even lunches on some occasions.
At the end of the day the satisfaction that a customer loved to finished artwork no matter what the piece that makes my day. I love the challenge of design playing with color, texture, and thinking outside the box. Framing artwork is design work at a mini scale that will fit within a personal space. – less
Very Productive
Department Manager (Former Employee), Waco, TXAugust 5, 2014
Pros: decent lunch breaks
Cons: horrible pay, work weekends, very long days
The hardest part was working 10-12 hour shifts almost everyday and having to be on your feet all day. Some of the co-workers were not very pleasant to work with but it's your job to get along with everyone as best you can.
NICE PLACE TO WORK
Department Manager (Current Employee), Missouri City, TXAugust 3, 2014
Pros: nice environment, raise every year
Cons: with the raise comes cuts in hours
VERY NICE PLACE TO WORK. EVERYONE IS LIKE FAMILY. MANAGEMENT TRIES TO WORK WITH YOU ON SCHEDULES WHEN IT COMES TO SCHOOL AND FAMILY. I LEARNED TO EXCEPT CHANGE NO MATTER WHAT IT IS. THERE REALLY ISNT A HARD PART OF THE JOB BECAUSE THERE IS ALWAYS SOMEONE THERE TO HELP. THE MOST ENJOYABLE PART IS COMING TO WORK.
Fun work
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee), Everett, WAJuly 29, 2014
It is a great place to work, I definitely learned a lot from working here about customer service.
Associate (Current Employee), Louisville, COJuly 27, 2014
I've worked for the company for 6 years as a supplemental income while going to school. It's an OK company to work for.
Productive and fun work envoirnment.
Customer Service (Former Employee), Humble, TXJuly 23, 2014
Pros: fun, energetic, encouraging
Cons: late nights
Typical day at work would be stocking merchandise in my department.
My co-workers were awesome.
Hardest part of the job was not getting all the merchandise out in my shift.
Most enjoyable part of the day was helping customers, getting all of the work done in my shift.
productive and fun work place
Loader (Former Employee), oklahoma city, oklahomaJuly 22, 2014
it was a very productive work place i enjoyed the job with being more productive to managemrnt by training new hires
Great place to work!
DEPARTMENT MANAGER/OFFICE MANAGER (Former Employee), South Jordan, UTJuly 22, 2014
The Management team and employees are great. Loved the employee discount. Fun atmosphere and product. You always get Sunday off. They really seem to care about people.

1 2 3 4 5

About Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc.

At Hobby Lobby, we know the value of exceptional people. More importantly, we want to find the right people to integrate into – Read more

Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc. Photos