Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc.

Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc. Employer Reviews

somewhat fun company to work for
Train Driver (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKMarch 13, 2014
the hours were the hardest thing about this job,i learned how to move freight with a train
An invigorating AND an exhausting place to work!
Fabric Department (Current Employee), Evansville, INMarch 12, 2014
Pros: a chance to interact with so many interesting people.
Cons: no benefits for part time employees.
Each day is different. Each customer has different needs. So many caring, pleasant people to work with.
Productive and Advanced
LEAD SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Flowood, MSMarch 11, 2014
Working for Hobby Lobby, I have gained stronger knowledge of all aspects to the retail industry. A typical work day was very productive, I got to assist customer making them welcomed, valued, and appreciated. The management team did a good job at supervising employees and running the business. Getting to know guests and co-workers were the best part – more... of my job. – less
The management was very friendly but again no room for advancement
Home Accent Manager (Former Employee), Janesville, WIMarch 9, 2014
Pros: great management
Cons: long hours with no extra pay
I was a department manager but there was not much room to advance from there. I started there before store was open so because I was a "veteran" I was expected to put in lots of time and energy, sometimes working 12-14 hour day with no overtime pay. But, I enjoyed who I worked for so it made it a bit more bearable.
Part-time cashier to full time - Papillion, NE
Dept Head (Former Employee), Papillion, NEMarch 7, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: poor management
Started as part-time cashier - ended up getting full time.
A typical day at Hobby Lobby is stressful because Manager changes rules on a day to day basis. Keeps everyone unsure. Management is horrible. Rude to employees & customers. I use to love going to work - towards end of my employment - had to drag myself to work. The pay is pretty good - but they – more... have to pay better than everyone else because of how employees are treated. – less
seasonal summer job
Stock, Sales Associate (Former Employee), Columbus, OHMarch 6, 2014
employer was looking for 25 college students to help move store location from one location to another across town. enjoyed a fun working summer working with students my age. my duties were to load and unload trucks, set up fixtures, stock shelves and essentially help bring a store which had nothing in it to life building it from ground up on the inside.
environment
Stockman, maintenance (Current Employee), Lawrenceville, NJMarch 5, 2014
Pros: long lunch breaks
Cons: not alot of hours
nice friendly environment...friendly people to work with.
Told if you work hard, we will make you full time, then I was laid off after I did work hard!
Stockman / Associate (Former Employee), Norco, CAMarch 4, 2014
Pros: great coworkers
Cons: i have no cons, thats just it i loved what i did!
I wanted to really get a job with this company, because the fact that they were a good Christian Company. I applied I think 6 or 7 times at this one store, just going back and back well finally the guy that used to work there had just got promoted, and made manager and given his own store, I applied as soon as I saw the sign go up saying HOBBY LOBBY – more... coming soon. I was hired on January 21 st I believe and as I was being hired I was told if I work hard and show them I really want to work they would make me full time.

Fast forward to one week before the Grand Opening of the store, everyone was receiving name badges for the opening, well my friend and myself did not receive a name badge.

The first person they let go was a man that I would say was about 60 years young, and this was before they had the Grand Opening.

Now this left myself who is 41 years old and my friend that is in his middle 50's well last Saturday 3-01-2014 about 5:00 in the evening my friend was laid off, around 6:30 I was asked to come into the office where I was laid off also.

I think they have one more guy there about or around 50 in age, all the other guys are pretty much younger kids working there.

So when you ask me to write a review, I didn't know what to say so I thought every one should know the truth...

Some times we work harder or go that extra mile in life, to be the best we can be or do the best we can do to only be stopped in our tracks when something that we thought would never happen does.

I am a good Christian Person I like to think and I just wanted a good Job for my future and family.

Thank you for reading, "Hard work is a good thing" – less
Good part time job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), East Haven, CTMarch 4, 2014
It is a good part time job if you are younger. There is a lot of excitement and interaction with guests.
Great company, horrible management
Stock/Seasonal Dept. Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Hoover, ALMarch 3, 2014
great company, horrible store management. good benefits and experience if managers had been monitored more by corporate
A very great job to have and work at.
Store Manager (Former Employee), Warner Robins, GAMarch 3, 2014
Pros: great place to work and they pay employees to stay.
Cons: have had 4 new dm's in 2 years and was hard to make some of the changes, i made a mistake in not following a policy becasue of my judgement and got fired for it, i made the mistake.
This is a company that on most look after employees and customers
They have promoted a large number of Store Managers to DM's but have not given a mentor to help with their training.
I come to work each day about 6:30 am and get the paperwork and deposit taken care of before floor employees come in.
I set up assignments for the day and week each day.
I – more... have a morning meeting with my management team to go over task for the day and who is assigned what areas and employees.
I have my staffing meeting with all employees, 10 minutes before opening the store.
I work with Department Managers in each department helping with set up areas, price changes, ordering and cleaning. We talk about department goals and how we will reach them
I cover the front in of the store during lunch breaks for CSM and Assistant Managers on the floor.
I follow up on emails and complete daily task assigned by my DM. – less
Fun place to work
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Overland Park, KSFebruary 27, 2014
Pros: easy going
Cons: i can't recall very many dislikes.
Processing and pricing new freight in the Craft department. It was neat to be a part of an organization that involved working with the public. I enjoyed Customer relations.
Excellent Corporate Purpose with great pay and product line.
Certified Framer (Former Employee), Fayetteville, NCFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: pay is good compared to other similar stores, 15% employee discount, and guaranteed sundays and some holidays off.
Cons: store manager expects what hasn't been trained and micro-manages the obvious, a great deal of internal store-level discrimination, harsh unwarranted lashing out, denyal of full-time work against christians, favoring people for full-time whose health insurance is already covered by their spouse
I enjoyed every day working for Hobby Lobby. I believe enjoying my work is a choice.
A typical day involved preparing framing area and organizing freight, tools, and samples according to corporate policy. Then reading notes from previous shifts followed by checking the schedule to see what is due out that day. Then it is best to visualize each order – more... that is due out to see which is going to be the most difficult/time-consuming, which are going to be the quickest, and which have customers that are known for coming in early or without being given a call for completion of their work. Once the day is planned out, I proceed to the work I deem most important to complete before more staff come in to assist me. More difficult pieces are better done when another framer is available to cover the table and deal with new customers. The goal is to have all custom framing orders completed a day early of their scheduled pick up date, and all walk-in orders completed while the customer waits/shops. At the close of a day, everything must be cleaned, filed, and trash disposed of. Other duties include operating, maintaining, and troubleshooting the Wizard Automatic Mat Board Cutter, the air compressor, and filling out appropriate order forms for needed materials. Customer artworks are to be safely filed to protect from dust and moisture.
The customers were very diverse and I enjoyed the challenge of meeting or exceeding each of their individual expectations within the guidelines of corporate regulations.
Management was difficult, unapproachable, and unclear about their personal expectations. They were also inconsistent with their interpretation of corporate policies.
Co-workers were kind and generally helpful. We worked well as a team and as individuals in the absence of direct supervision. However, gossip was a problem and management seemed to favor gossip over investigation of the truth.
The hardest part of the job was keeping up with scheduled orders and taking new orders when short-staffed.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the construction of the various styled custom frame, needle art, and shadowbox orders. I also made countless professional friendships with people who returned requesting me to be their framer. – less
Disappointed
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee), Lancaster, NYFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: every one is wonderful to work with. it is a very happy environment to work in.
Cons: management needs to learn how to be honest and upfront with their employee better and more often.
I absolutely love my job at Hobby Lobby. I interact with so many different people on a regular basis. Your job changes on a constant basis, whether it be changing areas of products, pricing merchandise, rebuild shelving units to accommodate new features or getting on a cash register. My job has never been monotonous. There is nothing hard about being – more... a Retail Sales Associate with Hobby Lobby. I enjoy every aspect of what I do. I have received 100's of appraisals from customers for awesome customer service and e-mails from ecstatic customers as well as Thank you letters from the main office for my spectacular customer service service.
However, On the downside, why I am disappointed, I applied for this job based on an advertisement that stated "Full time, $14.00/hour and great benefits" I was told by a manager when I was interviewed that everyone is hired part time seasonally at $9.50 an hour with no benefits. I needed a job, so I did accept it with the understanding that once the store opened in 3 weeks time that decisions would then be made about who would stay on with Hobby Lobby. I have been with Hobby Lobby for 5 months and my status, pay and no benefits have not changed. I have asked several times about my status and where I stand and the answer I am given every time I ask is "we are still working on it" even though they started hiring people full time over 2 months ago. I currently have no hours, and haven't for 3 weeks. The previous 4 weeks to that I only had 4 hours each week. I think that management needs to be more upfront with the employees. We don't even get our schedules until the Saturday before the next week we work. I would love to be a full time employee for Hobby Lobby, but management definitely needs to learn how to be honest and upfront with their employee better and more often. They need to stop dragging their feet, the only thing that does - at least in my case - was give me false hopes of full time employment. – less
A fun and enjoyable place to work.
Retail Sales (Former Employee), Cedar Park, TXFebruary 21, 2014
I enjoyed working at Hobby Lobby. I met a lot of wonderful people. We were all like one big family. For the most part, the employees were willing to go outside their own department to help others. It was a very pleasant working environment for the most part.
Great if you only want to work a couple hours a week...
Cashier (Current Employee), Bangor, MEFebruary 21, 2014
Pros: coworkers, pay (if you get full-time), hobby lobby closes earlier than most, sundays off
Cons: hours per week, company has no loyalty to employees, no job security, no advancement opportunity, etc...
The job itself is not bad, I work as a cashier part time and enjoy the work I have to do. However, store manager does not stand behind his employees when they are following policy. In example, when a customer disputes a sale and the cashier is following policy, and the customer asks for the manager, he will undermine the cashier for doing their job – more... and kiss the customers behind to make them happy, making the employee look bad. There is also no chance for advancement, and while the pay is well above average for even part time employees, it makes no different with only 10 hours a week, especially when you have to travel a distance to get there. Job security is non existing and there are typically only 2 cashiers on for the whole day, making it difficult to cover breaks. Cashiers have also been only receiving 1 (unpaid lunch) break while floor associates working the same amount of hours are receiving 2 breaks (1 paid 15 minute and 1 unpaid 30 minute). Finally, there is no way an employee can plan anything around their schedule. Each next weeks schedule is posted only 2 - 3 days before the current week ends, so 2 - 3 days is all notice you have to plan something for the following week. They also let people go without notice, (people show up to work and are told they are all done, just so they can cut hours). Co workers are the best part. – less
Not the greatest place to work
CASHIER (Former Employee), PITTSBURGH STOREFebruary 21, 2014
Pros: good money
Cons: they lie to get you to work there and never give you hrs they say or a department.
I have to say that i love everything that the stores carry, however they hire you and tell you that part-time is 25 hrs a week. I have worked there for 7 months and i never one time worked 25 hrs. I went and talked to my store manager numerous times about it. I was told I would get more hours. Then go to work next week to find out I have 11 hrs. I can – more... not pay my bills on that. I am disappointed that i had to quit. I like so many people get a job because I have to work. The store that i work in seems to play favorites. I was hired before they hired seasonal help and after Christmas was over they kept on 3 people. So instead of me getting the hrs I was promised to get. The hrs are being spread to all seasonal help. I think that this is unfair. I went to Mangers and was told they could not make payroll so everyones hrs are getting cut. So why then keep extra people on when you cant give the regular employees the hrs they need. I was hired as a cashier. However I worked for another craft company for almost 5 years. I have alot of experience. When i was hired i was told that there where alot of departments that needed to be filled. Then I was never given the chance to fill one. It seems if they like you then you get pulled from the registers and put somewhere else in the store. I was depenable and reliable employee that went to work all the time. The only time i missed work was when my father passed away and when my daugher had her baby. I was upset when my father passed away that being a Christian company no one really said anything to me. That in its self was very upsettng. I dont usually just up and quit a job, but this one i did. I like so many American people have bills to pay and I cant call them up and tell them I cant pay you this week because the company I work for only gave me 11 hrs. I think that the HR department needs to address these issues. When you get hired with a company and they tell you that you will get 25 hrs a week and that does not happen also that there are plenty of departments that need to be filled and its all basically lies something needs to change. SO IN ALL IF YOU LOOKING FOR STEADY WORK AND GOOD PAY LOOK SOMEWHERE ELSE. – less
Was a temporary part time
Puller (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 17, 2014
I moved to Oklahoma temporary. This was a temporary job. I pulled merchandise from the shelves and prepared them to be shipped.
Great company
Head of Floral Department (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAFebruary 15, 2014
I enjoyed working for this great company and the group of people I got the chance to work with.
Good place to work. Good people.
Framer (Former Employee), Grand Junction, COFebruary 13, 2014
I was placed in the framing department where I learned all aspects of framing from customer service to putting artwork in frames, cutting the mats, cutting glass, using the dry mount machine, and putting the backing and hardware on the picture for mounting. The hardest part of the job was at first learning as I had never done any kind of framing before – more... and remembering everything I needed to write up an order. The most enjoyable part of the job was when the artwork was done and the customer showed his/her appreciation of how it looked. My co-workers were incredibly helpful in teaching and showing me how to do the things I needed to know to get the job done. The floor managers were also very helpful if I needed help or needed answers. – less

About Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc.

At Hobby Lobby, we know the value of exceptional people. More importantly, we want to find the right people to integrate into – Read more

Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc. Photos