Hobby Lobby Employee Reviews

Found 1,250 reviews matching the search
What can I say
CO-MANAGER (Current Employee) –  NJJanuary 4, 2017
Hobby has both pros and cons. It has great pay, friendly staff (in store) and sundays off is a bonus.

Managers above store level judge and rip you apart without offering help or training. I have seen managers get placed in stores with no training what so ever and expected to succeed. When they do send help, you find out that the district manager bashed your building to several different people so a stigma grows. The benefits are only health and dental and aren't mind blowing or amazing. A manager level will end up working more than what they expect.
Pros
great pay, friendly staff
Cons
management level above store managers don't care about you, freight flow is too heavy, more work than usual placed on their co-managers and assistant managers
use and abuse employees
full time (Current Employee) –  NMNovember 6, 2016
I have worked for this company for 5 yrs now and our store has gone through 4 managers. They expect you to give your life to them and the scheduling proves that. Our schedule is not even up on the board by 5pm on Saturday for the next week. While there is an annual raise for regular full-time, middle management does not, at least I never have despite doing the job of 3 people each day. The creative atmosphere is great, the customers are great, the associates are great, management, on the other hand, is horrible. Salary while good for regular full-time is good, dept heads and frame shop managers get only 15 cents an hour more. Managers are always demanding more and more to make him look good and criticism is all we get every day. No matter how much more we do they always want more more more and never acknowledge all that we have accomplished. If I did not need this job I would have been gone a while ago but for now,I am stuck until I can find something else.
Pros
sunday off
Cons
have to work 2 nights a week, management does not treat employees well unless they are one of the favored.
Use to be good
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMNovember 20, 2016
This could be a good company to work for with the right managment. I've worked for the company for quite awhile and I loved it when we had good managers. Currently the managment is terrible and the store manager treats his employees like slaves, treats them in a dimeaning and digrading way. Mostly all current employees are unhappy.They offer decent benefits for full time employees, the the medical insurance barely covers anything, but the vacation benefits are nice. I would reccommend working with Hobby Lobby just not the Santa Fe location.
Pros
Sundays off
Receiver at Oklahoma City distribution center
Receiver (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 12, 2016
Well, let me start by saying that this is my first day on the job. I've been in Distribution of product for 19 years.
From what I can tell, at least from my experience as a manager, there is a lack of good management and it is very disorganized.
Using 1/3 more employees than is needed for the job at hand. The company needs to restructure it's process for distributing products to stores.
Let me tell you now, the distribution center is a monkey circus!
Good luck.
Pros
Benefits, starting pay
Cons
Management, disorganization, lack of communication.
Great Compensation and That's It
Co-Manager (Former Employee) –  Southern Pines, NCOctober 14, 2016
The company is a Christian based company which I like, but the Senior management does not reflect these standards. As a manager you spend all your time in the store trying to make the company better and because your district manager and regional manager are not on the same page when it comes to standards you spend a lot of time re-doing things. The Co-Manager program is supposed to help advance you within the company, but no Senior level manager ever follows up with your development.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Hours, healthcare, Senior level management, Talent development
Horrible Management, Horrible work environment, TOXIC!!
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Rhinelander, WIAugust 24, 2016
I heard it was a Christian company and it paid well with full benefits so I thought it would be a great place to work. It would have been if it wasn't for the HORRID management! I ABSOLUTELY loved the store, loved my co-workers, but the manager was verbally abusive. Their way of motivating employees is to be rude, condescending and demeaning. They never tell you that you do anything right or a good job. You never work hard enough, fast enough, or good enough. The manager tells you he just needs to clone himself to get work done around the place as if nobody else does anything yet you leave there sweating every shift from working so hard. I finally realized, he cannot be pleased and I am working way too hard for someone who doesn't appreciate me or my work. After many rude and demeaning remarks were made it was brought to his boss and he said we had it coming to us. Clearly this is the way they train their managers to treat employees. Sickening for a so called christian company!!!
Pros
Pay
Cons
management
Great customers, horrible store manager
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NC 28303January 6, 2017
I loved working at Hobby Lobby in Fayetteville only for the customers and my fellow co-workers. Store management is horrible; if you wish to feel like a failure, the manager will help you accomplish that goal. Don't expect praises for ANY hard work. I learned to work hard anyways, and always treat the customer right.
It's just more retail
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Centennial, COOctober 2, 2016
If you have worked one retail job then you have worked Hobby Lobby. There is lots of red tape at Hobby Lobby that you can't go through and it is very annoying. Managers tend to have attitude problems, and if you don't brown nows to an unreasonable degree then don't ever expect to move up in the company or outside of being a cashier. Also there is no point of sales system so trying handle returns is a pain and everything has to be done by hand which just wastes time. The company will say it is for better customer interaction but that is a lie and that they don't want to spend the money on it or anything else to modernize the store. Finally, while they pay for full time employees is decent, the amount for part time employees is below about average compared to Walmart or Target. Also don't expect a raise unless the state demands it. They will tell you it is because it is not in the budget but again it is just an obvious lie.

The two nice things I can say for Hobby Lobby is that most of your fellow workers are very nice since they understand the frustration of not being able to do anything without jumping through hoops. The other good thing is that you are guaranteed Sundays off.
Pros
Sundays off
Cons
Management, No point of sales system, Low pay
Excellent Job!
FULL TIME FRAMER (Current Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 14, 2016
I love working at Hobby Lobby. I have excellent benefits, coworkers, provided time off and exceptional pay. My customers are regularly excited and energetic about our products and their capabilities, as well as seeing familiar, happy faces from the staff. Management is incredibly positive and helpful, and are understanding about school and other potential schedule conflicts.
Pros
Benefits, Pay, Time Off
Great company at upper levels/store mgt varies
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Augusta, GADecember 25, 2016
Wonderful company to work for/corporate level excellent/great pay and great benefits/store management level varies however as some managers vary the implementation of company policies differently
Pros
Great benefits/enjoyable employment/great customers
Cons
Managers shift from store to store often and therefore procedures change when managers do.
Horrible Management
Store Associate Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLJanuary 16, 2017
Descriminate and Non-Christian Management at all.
Lake Mary, Florida had the horrible managers.
Hours given sucked. Co-Manager flirts with men employees.
Favoritism and very unappreciative of your hard work.
Very hard labor job especially on truck day.
Yell at you everyday for no reason in front of the customer.
Doesn't appreciate your job.
Pros
Cons
management, benefits
Very Christian place to work!
DSW / Part Time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSNovember 5, 2016
Hobby Lobby is a great place to work. You always have Sundays off, and they close at 8:00p.m.

However, advancement and wages are limited. Nice discount of 15% on all merchandise for employees, along with 401K, dental and health insurance.
Pros
15% discount and Christmas bonus.
Great pay and benefits/ poor management
Lead Framer (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJuly 19, 2016
Hobby Lobby can be a great place to work. As a company they take good care of their employees. The hardest part of the job was dealing with members of the management team. They often use negative reinforcement tactics which creates a rift between them and their employees. Overall I have high praise for Hobby Lobby. If your lucky enough to work under a manager you like...you may just find yourself loving your job!
Pros
Pay
Cons
Good pay and benefits, occasionally imbalanced with job/life.
Hobby Lobby Department Head (Former Employee) –  Houma, LAOctober 20, 2016
Simple and engaging retail job with good benefits, occasionally hampered by managements free range of ever shifting store policies.
Pros
Employee discount.
Cons
Ever expanding limits on the use of personal time and sick days.
Hourly position. Hard work, Management team is tough.
Hourly Associate (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 25, 2016
Hourly pay is higher than most retail, but you work for it. Employees unload freight in the dock, stock all materials. Benefits are good, but again, you work for it.

Management is tough and sometimes unfair. There is a clear resentment between management and staff -- on both sides. Staff speaks negatively of management, mostly because of unfair demands made by management on employees. Managers, meanwhile, speak negatively of their individual staff members -- something that should never occur in management as it is unprofessional.

All in all, the job breaks even on workplace desirability vs pay scale... essentially, the extra $ makes up for the negative environment.
Pros
Higher pay than most retail
Cons
Long periods without breaks, management is unprofessional & negative.
To many Chiefs do not make for a strong tribe.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COAugust 26, 2016
I really hoped to advance into management working at Hobby Lobby but after 2 years of working there for over 40 hours a week and still considered part time, I realized there wasn't a future for me at Hobby Lobby.
Pros
Great atmosphere, great coworkers, friendly customers
Cons
no benefits, 12 hour shifts without the oppurtunity for overtime
Good work environment
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saint Peters, MOMay 26, 2016
ordering, stocking, handling monies, resetting isles, heavy lifting, cleaning, etc. I learned time management and quick thinking in the eyes of the customer. I enjoyed my GM, he was the only authority for my department, the assistants did not leave their departments. My co-workers were great and very helpful. Hardest part of the job was Christmas, that is the biggest season for the store, and many long after hours to set up and organize. Most enjoyable part is the staff was great, we all got along well.
Pros
always some thing new to work on, staff
Cons
no benefits, no promotional options available
Ok job
Crafts Department Head (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKSeptember 1, 2016
My store may have been the exception but this was a job that was tolerable at best due to excessive stress caused by management and overall conduct. Healthcare and benefits were sub-par and would hardly pay for any portion of medical bills, clinic visits, etc.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Management, poor healthcare and benefits, stressful environment
good place to work
Custom Framing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Flint, MISeptember 29, 2016
Everyone was super friendly and helpful at work. They taught me everything I needed to know to sound professional when speaking to customers about custom framing.
Pros
free cake the first wednesday of every month
Cons
company wide raises only
Hobby Lobby is a great place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mount Vernon, WAOctober 17, 2016
A typical day is cashiering, greeting customers, making sure that every customer leaves satisfied. Co workers are friendly and easy to work with. The hardest part about the job is getting used to standing the whole time but once your used to it, its not so bad.
Pros
15% discount
Cons
only part time so no benifits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hobby Lobby. Our community is ready to answer.