Hobby Lobby Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,068 reviews matching the search
Right up my ally
Art Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Morrow, GAMarch 13, 2016
Hobby Lobby was a great place to work. Management and staff were very helpful and accommodating. I was pregnant when I worked for this company. They afforded me all the time I needed in order to go to doctor visits and take care of myself. I had a tendency to overwork myself. I was in charge of the Art department and I also worked as Professional Framer. I had a few other ladies that worked in the frame shop with me. There was always a lot of work that had to be done but we were committed as a team to complete all the tasks that needed to be done. When I went out of emergency leave, shortly after my store was closed for relocation. After I came back I was unable to return to the company with great sadness.This was a great company to work for.
Pros
Comfortable atmosphere to work in, great management staff
Cons
No medical benefits
hobby lobby
Art Director (Former Employee) –  Harvey, LADecember 30, 2015
A typical day at Hobby Lobby was me walking in to the store, clocking in at designated time. Then checking the schedule and seeing what register I am on and proceeding to it to count it down. If I am on a primary register I open up and check out customers or refund them on items being returned. If not on a primary register I would report to a manager for assignment and designated work area for the day. The hardest part of the job for myself was not being able to be in my department most of my shift. The most enjoyable part of my job was my co workers. Helping them keep morale up and assist them with questions they had for customers. My coworkers were a balanced bunch. Most of them loved working for hobby lobby while the others complained about lack of staff and hours.The management were a good crew, limited but skilled in their fields.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Limited Employee Positions
Fun, Hands On
Stockman, Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 8, 2016
Hobby Lobby is a great place to work. They management and cooperate offices really take care of their employees. Good pay rates, good hours, fun environment.

I'd work at Hobby Lobby again
Pros
Good Raises, Fun Co Workers, Great Work Environment, Flexible and Good work hours
Cons
Undermanned, Heavy Lifting up Ladders, Risky Job sometimes
Trash
Receiver/Stocker, Puller (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMarch 31, 2016
Friendly Co-workers with a few exceptions. Manager is complete idiots. Time management with life is up in the air. Never know when you're getting off, so you can't plan your day. Pay and benefits is the only reason to stay at this job. No way you're advancing in this jobs.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Managers
Great starter company
Co-Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 11, 2016
This is a great company to grow with. Job security is fantastic if you are a hard worker and so is the possibility for advancement. Fantastic benefits and overall good work environment. However, in certain departments, work load and overtime can quickly become intrusive to home life. In short, great job for someone just out of high school or with no family commitments.
Pros
Benefits, Advancement
Cons
massive required overtime and short/ no notice of overtime.
Great employees with great schedule flexibility
Frame Shop Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, TXFebruary 8, 2016
Work at Hobby Lobby can be fun, but also stressful at time especially around Christmas. The hours are great for full time. The benefits are great with Dental and Medical with a full time applicant.
The employees hired are always positive with a work hard attitude.
Pros
Bonuses, Start out pay.
Cons
Christmas nights
Great customers!
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Clermont, FLMarch 14, 2016
The customers are great. It is a destination store and it is always busy. However, there is hardly any chance to work full time and receive the benefits applauded by the media. It is an easy part time job, however.
Pros
Easy to learn
Cons
No upward advancement
Team driver
CDL A DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 31, 2016
A great place to work, just ask anybody. As a team driver, the routes are long and may seem much longer if you have a bad teamate. The benefits are above and beyond and management is great. The equipment is by far THE BEST out there.
Pros
Benefits, equipment, management, atmosphere
Cons
It all depends on your teamate
Hobby Lobby
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 4, 2015
A typical day at work at Hobby Lobby would vary from day to day. Most days, I worked at the front end as a Customer Service Manager. My duties included: Supervisor over cashiers and front end on afternoon shift; Cashiering, Stocking, Counting registers with other management; making sure customers were happy and the front end was running accordingly; and making sure that all customer concerns were taken seriously to solve any issues there might have been. I learned a great deal of knowledge and experience in the customer service field from working 4 1/2 years at Hobby Lobby. I enjoyed interacting with customers on a daily basis, and giving these customers a wonderful customer service experience.
Pros
customer service oriented environment, customer interaction, customer service management background
Cons
pay, not much room for advancement
Worst place I've ever worked
Dept. Lead (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORMarch 18, 2016
Higher management (than store level) is out of touch with a normal workday and what they expect. EVERY DAY we are tasked with doing 4 things at a time and they expect you to do that EVERY day. Customer service is none existent because they don't give you time to help the customers. You ask for other positions that open within the store and they still hire off the street. Our store had employees in management that were dating subordinates and this is a big NO-NO according to their employee manual/policy, but yet it is allowed to continue. Managers fraternize with their 'friends' outside of work (again a big NO-NO). There are definite favorites within management, which causes other hard workers to be passed over. You can request time off but they don't have to give it to you, or they approve it and then take it back because of the 'needs' of the store. If the freight truck is late (happens semi-often), you are told you have to come back later (after some have driven 30-45 minutes to get to work) and your day then just becomes a 12 hr day. If you're F/T their F/T is a maximum of 35 hrs/week, which is 20 hrs/month less than what you assume you'll be getting, which is a large chunk of income lost vs in other jobs. Some employees are allowed to do things that other employees are told they will be written up for if they don't do whatever it is the manager is telling you (ex. entire store told they have to tuck in their shirts while at work but 'favorites' don't have to do it and never get called out for it). Worst place I've ever worked!!
Benefits
A day in a job
Bookkeeper, Cust Svc Mgr (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CONovember 17, 2015
During the majority of my employment with Hobby Lobby, I found the corporate policies very good.
Unfortunately, management plays a huge part in the willingness and abilities of any employee.
It's difficult to review a company, when things are not consistent within each individual store. Not all managers adhere to corporate policies of the mission statements of the company
Pros
Good pay and benefits, especially for retail
Cons
A job location is only as good as it's managers
Full-Time Custom Frame Shop/Art Department (Current Employee) –  Woodbury, MNOctober 29, 2015
I really loved working here because of the co-manager and co-workers that I got to work with. However, I not be working here due to their head manager. Everywhere I have worked, I have found the managers to be very kind and respectful towards their employees. However, in the passed 6 months 20 people have left Hobby Lobby due to the lack of disrespect, and abuse we get from this manager. It saddens me that a company and so I love so much would have someone working for them like this.
Pros
Great Benefits
Peaceful and Respectful work enviroment
Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOMarch 9, 2016
Very fun and enjoyable. I learned various things like how to put up displays, dealing with lots of different people. Management was very fair and easy to work with. Very friendly and nice people to work with and get to know. Hardest part of my job was simply not getting hired on full-time just needed more hours. Truck day to me was like Christmas morning!!!
Pros
Store Discount
Cons
Hard to get on full time
Friendly & great place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXFebruary 1, 2016
Working on the registers were fun. It required a lot of thinking because everything is put into the register manually. I learned how to work on a register, how to fix certain errors on the register, how to take checks, difficult payments and how to make returns. My co-workers were very compassionate; they loved to listen, help, and encourage me and others. The hardest part of the job were the long hours. But it made it easy because it was such an amazing environment full of wonderful workers.
Pros
Flexible with schedule and limitations
Full-Time Employee
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  South, FLSeptember 7, 2015
Hobby Lobby is a great company to work for. They do follow specific guidelines and not open to many new ideas that employees may have because of those guidelines. Some downfalls to the company is that they do not yet use a barcode system at the register. All prices have to be manually entered which can lead to errors by cashiers and frustration with customers for having to wait to check out. Being that it is retail, the job does become monotonous. Just a cycle every week of doing the same thing over and over. Sometimes there are seemingly impossible standards such as: Having to do a department reset and being pulled out of your own department and not being able to keep up with, recover, and provide great service in your own department.

However, the pay is great. Much higher than most retail companies and the benefits are great as well.
Pros
Benefits, Pay
Cons
Management, Antiquated Check Out System
Productive and interesting
Seasonal Employee/Stock Person/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Marlboro, NJFebruary 22, 2016
On a typical day i collect carts, work in the warehouse part of the building, i do daily maintenance and assist co-workers with daily tasks. i learned how to use a cash register, sort of. my co-workers were mostly enjoyable to work with and management is ok. my job was very easy so there were no hard parts about it, just some annoying ones. i cant decide what my most enjoyable part about my job is.
Pros
decent breaks, easy work
Cons
annoying tasks
A fast pace friendly environment.
Department Head (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJune 22, 2016
Hobby Lobby is a terrific company to work for whether your fresh out of high school or on your second retirement. We have a excellent team who are dedicated to delivering the best customer service in retail. Each day is filled with an active schedule usually consisting of merchandise and inventory checks, cashiering, and even some salesmanship. The management from the top down are stand-up grade A employees who are always willing to handle the tasks normally expected of their subordinates. This only sets the standard for remainder of my co-workers. What I've learned most is that hard work really does pay off in the end. I believe the hardest part about tis job will be leaving. I truly enjoyed my working experience and look forward as I move to new and hopefully bigger and better endeavors.
Pros
The strong staff and loyal customers.
Cons
A small door for advancement.
Loved working there. But it's really hard work.
Cashier / Stocker / Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 12, 2016
Loved working there. Nice employees. Management works really hard right along with the employees. I was very impressed with that. Never worked for a company where managers worked so hard. I learned a lot from this company. It made me a better person in regards to helping others and enjoying hard work. Hardest part is only having one 15 minute break in the morning and a 30 lunch around 12 or 2 when your working a 9 to 10 hours shift on your feet the whole time. It was hard on your feet and back. Loved the employee discount was awesome.
Pros
Loved helping customer with craft projects and ideas.
Cons
Working a 9 to 10 hour shift on your feet the hold time, getting one 15 minute Break and 30 lunch. Need another break later in your shift.
Hourly position. Hard work, Management team is tough.
Hourly Associate (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 25, 2016
Hourly pay is higher than most retail, but you work for it. Employees unload freight in the dock, stock all materials. Benefits are good, but again, you work for it.

Management is tough and sometimes unfair. There is a clear resentment between management and staff -- on both sides. Staff speaks negatively of management, mostly because of unfair demands made by management on employees. Managers, meanwhile, speak negatively of their individual staff members -- something that should never occur in management as it is unprofessional.

All in all, the job breaks even on workplace desirability vs pay scale... essentially, the extra $ makes up for the negative environment.
Pros
Higher pay than most retail
Cons
Long periods without breaks, management is unprofessional & negative.
A good starter job. Good co workers. Pretty good bosses
Warehouse Worker/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Midland TexasJune 16, 2016
This is a good job to show a teen that hard work can pay off. The co workers are amazing and treat you as family. They show you everything you need to know. The bosses give you support and some guidance too. The down thing of this job it can/will be stressful. Customers are the biggest source of it. A lot do not understand how difficult it is to type everything and look up what's on sale. That's another thing; it is very inefficient by doing this. I get that the company is saving money but it is very time consuming forcing more pressure on cashiers to get the job done as fast and correct as possible. But the one manager I do not like is the regional manager. He will tell you to do something but unlike the main boss of the store, he won't give you any clue what to do causing frustration, and stressful situations. This is a alright store to work just be prepared for customers.
Pros
Good pay closed on Sunday
Cons
Inefficient registers