Hobby Lobby Employee Reviews

Excellent Corporate Purpose with great pay and product line.
Certified Framer (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCFebruary 25, 2014
I enjoyed every day working for Hobby Lobby. I believe enjoying my work is a choice.
A typical day involved preparing framing area and organizing freight, tools, and samples according to corporate policy. Then reading notes from previous shifts followed by checking the schedule to see what is due out that day. Then it is best to visualize each order that is due out to see which is going to be the most difficult/time-consuming, which are going to be the quickest, and which have customers that are known for coming in early or without being given a call for completion of their work. Once the day is planned out, I proceed to the work I deem most important to complete before more staff come in to assist me. More difficult pieces are better done when another framer is available to cover the table and deal with new customers. The goal is to have all custom framing orders completed a day early of their scheduled pick up date, and all walk-in orders completed while the customer waits/shops. At the close of a day, everything must be cleaned, filed, and trash disposed of. Other duties include operating, maintaining, and troubleshooting the Wizard Automatic Mat Board Cutter, the air compressor, and filling out appropriate order forms for needed materials. Customer artworks are to be safely filed to protect from dust and moisture.
The customers were very diverse and I enjoyed the challenge of meeting or exceeding each of their individual expectations within the guidelines of corporate regulations.
Management was difficult, unapproachable, and unclear about their personal expectations. They
  more... were also inconsistent with their interpretation of corporate policies.
Co-workers were kind and generally helpful. We worked well as a team and as individuals in the absence of direct supervision. However, gossip was a problem and management seemed to favor gossip over investigation of the truth.
The hardest part of the job was keeping up with scheduled orders and taking new orders when short-staffed.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the construction of the various styled custom frame, needle art, and shadowbox orders. I also made countless professional friendships with people who returned requesting me to be their framer.
Pros
pay is good compared to other similar stores, 15% employee discount, and guaranteed sundays and some holidays off.
Cons
store manager expects what hasn't been trained and micro-manages the obvious, a great deal of internal store-level discrimination, harsh unwarranted lashing out, denyal of full-time work against christians, favoring people for full-time whose health insurance is already covered by their spouse
Color theory, problem solving, creative enviornment
Framer (Current Employee) –  Southlake, TXAugust 5, 2014
A work day started with a morning checklist of machine maintenance and turning the shop into production and beginning the day. Typically a single framer would open for the day and began to cut matting and assembling framing projects. As the day progressed consumers would come requiring design assistants with their framing projects ranging from basic readymade/custom frames and matting to the challenging shadowbox with multiple layers of matting, frames dimensional pieces; jersey's, pocket watches, baseball bats, guns, and much more. The day would continue some times with a mid-shift frame helping taking orders and the assembly process. Some days the foot traffic could get wild so a cool head was a necessity to make the day go smoothly. At the end of the day another maintenance check and thorough cleaning of the frame shop to get ready for the next day of business.
Through my years working with the company the design skills came naturally to me, but my comfort with consumers did not. There was a lot of self growth, I gained confidence in my communication skills with the general public while discussing their design options. As well as working with a team of framers that would not only be working on their orders but possibly an order or two that was taken by me and in return I would assemble an order they had taken.
Of the three locations of Hobby Lobby that I had worked in they all had something in common with uniquely creative framers working in the shops. Many were highly driven to produce that best possible product for our customers.
As great was it was to work with those creative
  more... framers sometimes we fell short with backup help. At the start of our employment in the framing department all framers and management must go though a certification process. Many times management avoided this certification and as well as the frame shop. There was also a requirement of other employees who are able to pass the certification process to be crossed trained to provide backup, breaks, lunches, and even in cases of illness to cover the framing counter so the shop would not be closed during business hours. So with the lack of a crossed trained employees many times a framer would be left alone for most of their shift unable to be productive in the assembly, helping customers, taking a 15 minute break, and even lunches on some occasions.
At the end of the day the satisfaction that a customer loved to finished artwork no matter what the piece that makes my day. I love the challenge of design playing with color, texture, and thinking outside the box. Framing artwork is design work at a mini scale that will fit within a personal space.
Art/Creative Department - Run for your life!
Craft Designer (Former Employee) –  Hobby Lobby Corporate, Oklahoma CityOctober 8, 2014
Pros: Worked for the Creative department as a "Craft Designer" for 27 months. The workload was easy, the work was easy, sounded like a fun and creative job. Rarely had to take work home. Salary was competitive, benefits were mediocre. No work incentives.

Cons: I'll start with the management. The management for the Creative Department seems to hide the fact that they're not qualified for their jobs by being intimidating, building up a wall of buddies beneath them that they can manipulate.

They promote people based on whether they have a good "smile," if they dress cute, and most importantly, that they never ask questions or seem defiant. They are not concerned about creating a better product, making the company better or creating efficiency.

The department is ran like a gang of buddies, and if you're "in" you can skyrocket in advancement. If you're "out," you will be treated like excrement.

You will be treated like a child, made to sit in assigned seating and if you talk to the people beside you, you will be moved.

You are given a tall desk because the manager doesn't like for you to sit down at your desk because it "looks" like you aren't working.

You aren't allowed to bring cupcakes to work and share with friends, someone may feel "left out."

You can't throw a baby shower for a friend on your lunch break, someone may feel "left out."

You have to inform your supervisor 2 days in advance if your husband wants to come have lunch with you. Also, he can't bring your toddler because they might "annoy" someone.

You can't trust a single soul in the department for fear they
  more... will tattle on you and lose your job.

HR doesn't care about you as a person, they are also pawns of the management and will throw you under the bus in a heartbeat.

You are not allowed a voice, you will get fired if you speak up.

They monitor your lunch breaks, who you talk to, what you say, literally, your every move.

Literally, the most stressful job I've ever had. So glad I left. Should have been a dream job but the management made it a nightmare.

They aren't concerned about your health and safety, no safe places to hide in the event of a tornado. You will be asked to walk a significant distance to hide while the management gets to go to the nearest hiding place. Hmm.

In the event of an ice storm, you will be asked to come to work if it ever falls during Art Show week because they care more about the Art Show than your safety. HR had to go around apologizing to the people that came because multiple people had wrecks or slipped on the ice trying to come into the building.

Also, the insurance company is always trying to find ways not to pay for your care.
Pros
competitive pay, easy work load
Cons
management, hr is insincere, stressful, gossip, catty, insurance is expensive
Disappointed
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, NYFebruary 24, 2014
I absolutely love my job at Hobby Lobby. I interact with so many different people on a regular basis. Your job changes on a constant basis, whether it be changing areas of products, pricing merchandise, rebuild shelving units to accommodate new features or getting on a cash register. My job has never been monotonous. There is nothing hard about being a Retail Sales Associate with Hobby Lobby. I enjoy every aspect of what I do. I have received 100's of appraisals from customers for awesome customer service and e-mails from ecstatic customers as well as Thank you letters from the main office for my spectacular customer service service.
However, On the downside, why I am disappointed, I applied for this job based on an advertisement that stated "Full time, $14.00/hour and great benefits" I was told by a manager when I was interviewed that everyone is hired part time seasonally at $9.50 an hour with no benefits. I needed a job, so I did accept it with the understanding that once the store opened in 3 weeks time that decisions would then be made about who would stay on with Hobby Lobby. I have been with Hobby Lobby for 5 months and my status, pay and no benefits have not changed. I have asked several times about my status and where I stand and the answer I am given every time I ask is "we are still working on it" even though they started hiring people full time over 2 months ago. I currently have no hours, and haven't for 3 weeks. The previous 4 weeks to that I only had 4 hours each week. I think that management needs to be more upfront with the employees. We don't even get our schedules
  more... until the Saturday before the next week we work. I would love to be a full time employee for Hobby Lobby, but management definitely needs to learn how to be honest and upfront with their employee better and more often. They need to stop dragging their feet, the only thing that does - at least in my case - was give me false hopes of full time employment.  less
Pros
every one is wonderful to work with. it is a very happy environment to work in.
Cons
management needs to learn how to be honest and upfront with their employee better and more often.
Unique culture for the evangelical, and put down your clipboard and pick up that two-wheeler.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  MissouriAugust 31, 2011
After initial recruitment, from a larger public retailer, I became brutally aware that a manager with this company was labor oriented. Office time expected was twenty to thirty minutes a day followed by labor, (stocking, receiving, ordering.) The hours were not terrible for retail management, (55 to 60 a week) and you do get Sundays off.

The culture is strongly religious. Praying in meetings was standard and at large management meetings, invitations to be saved were given. If this is an environment that would make you uncomfortable, then beware. I had several managers say they felt uncomfortable about this aspect of the company.

Merchandising is extremely limited, so if you are a born merchant, this is not the job for you. It is execution of directives, plan-o-gram placement and a very strict ordering system. It is also a manual ordering from a book with a pencil and a financial, (not SKU) inventory. Financial criteria is determined by broad generalizations and projecting accurate data for margin and expenses is limited.

Bonus program is based on meeting payroll, which in recent times is challenging, especially in a low volume store. The Bonus program is paid quarterly, and the overall compensation is poor. As a three year manager I was eligible for $9000.00 yearly in bonus contingent upon payroll. Second and third quarter does not support enough seasonal business to make a full bonus an easy task. Overall compensation for a 60k square foot store is deplorable.

Despite all the facade of christian values, corporate politics do not differ from a secular company, and possibly
  more... are worse due to the need to be perceived as devout. There were great people and there were bad ones.

I must say in my fifteen years of retail management I have known several people that would be a good fit with this company. I was not one of them.
Pros
sundays off, good holiday schedule
Cons
poor compensation, labor intensive, no room for creativity
A decent place to work with decent ethics
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCFebruary 4, 2015
First of all, The Store Manager is AMAZING. This gentleman (as he can only be described) truly cares for his staff and their lives. Upon my official date I was greeted by all but one member of the staff with enthusiasm. I only gave a 3 star overall, job security due to I was seasonal part-time, and management (due to the CSM). The CSM at this store is cranky (at best) all of the time, and if she doesn't like you from the beginning, your life will be made more than difficult just because she doesn't like you. To this day I can walk into the store (as a customer) and she immediately has an issue. I can honestly say I would have loved every instant if it were not for her. My particularly favorite stunt she loved to pull is asking me to put away the returns, then seconds later (5-10 at most) call me over the intercom for a code 1 (with two others at the register and maybe two customers at each, the maximum limit is three customers per line). If I didn't show up within an equal amount of time she would begin criticizing about how I needed to be quicker going to the front. It never failed to go this way every single time she sent me to return an item. Additionally, she is condescending and behaves unprofessionally in general. I honestly have so many more instances she would be two-faced and down right evil when the SM was not looking, but you would have to grab a bite and a drink just to read it all. All in all, the company itself is truly wonderful, the SM knows what he is doing and it shows in his work that he cares, the varying other managers are decent and work hard at everything  more... they do; each of those individuals is friendly and kind, the store is kept in excellent condition, the general staff is friendly, but the CSM is lacking in every way. Even customers in my line would complain about her, but there was nothing I could do seeing as she is the one who is the CSM and would have to do something about it.  less
Pros
store manager, clean environment, mostly friendly staff
Cons
csm is a badger
Not For the Efficiency Minded, Nor the Creative
Art and Hobby Lead (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WAAugust 13, 2014
My coworkers were amazing. We all were hired on with Hobby Lobby to open a new store in the area. 75 team members were hired and we were all told that it would be dropped to half that to keep the crew after the store was set up. From THAT half, only a handful would receive full time positions. The store set was a combination of boot camp (extremely physically demanding) and the Hunger Games (competing with each other and unable to trust anyone).

Once I made the cut, not only to the crew, but also as a lead, it quickly became apparent that the company is a bizarre mixture of cutting corners without actually maximizing efficiency. Instead of using a standard database of their SKUs and bar codes, they instead provide "job security" by insisting that all product be manually ordered, priced, and then rung up. In all steps of the product management, this is a slow and frustrating process.

In conjunction with a complete lack of efficiency, the company insists that payroll be kept to the bare minimum. This backward set of ideas keeps all full time employees in a constant state of stress and panic.

Which is when the last issue that I have with this company comes into play. On top of the frustration and panic, they then pile a big, steaming heap of bad morale. Managers tell you that there's no way to change things to make them better, that corporate doesn't care, that they're in the same terrible position as well. I was often told, when I asked why we had to work 12 hour days each Friday, that I had it good because managers had to work at least 3 open-close shifts each week. There
  more... was no interest in making things better for employees. I was also often told that I should just stop suggesting improvements and be grateful that I even had a job.

Only work here if you must, and only for as long as you have to. The only positive about this company is that they pay decently.
Pros
pay
Cons
everything else
Told if you work hard, we will make you full time, then I was laid off after I did work hard!
Stockman / Associate (Former Employee) –  Norco, CAMarch 4, 2014
I wanted to really get a job with this company, because the fact that they were a good Christian Company. I applied I think 6 or 7 times at this one store, just going back and back well finally the guy that used to work there had just got promoted, and made manager and given his own store, I applied as soon as I saw the sign go up saying HOBBY LOBBY coming soon. I was hired on January 21 st I believe and as I was being hired I was told if I work hard and show them I really want to work they would make me full time.

Fast forward to one week before the Grand Opening of the store, everyone was receiving name badges for the opening, well my friend and myself did not receive a name badge.

The first person they let go was a man that I would say was about 60 years young, and this was before they had the Grand Opening.

Now this left myself who is 41 years old and my friend that is in his middle 50's well last Saturday 3-01-2014 about 5:00 in the evening my friend was laid off, around 6:30 I was asked to come into the office where I was laid off also.

I think they have one more guy there about or around 50 in age, all the other guys are pretty much younger kids working there.

So when you ask me to write a review, I didn't know what to say so I thought every one should know the truth...

Some times we work harder or go that extra mile in life, to be the best we can be or do the best we can do to only be stopped in our tracks when something that we thought would never happen does.

I am a good Christian Person I like to think and I just wanted a good Job for my future and family.
  more...

Thank you for reading, "Hard work is a good thing"
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
i have no cons, thats just it i loved what i did!
this was a retail store that i could've been very happy working at had i not been lied to and trained in a poor manner.
Retail Associate-Framing Dept (Former Employee) –  Clermont, FLAugust 19, 2013
my responsibilities included helping customer's decisions about selecting frames, mats and designs for their artwork. I put their projects together in a timely and professional way. having never had to do this kind of work before I learned how to become a basic framer. other duties of the frame shop included filling out order forms, transferring data to log sheets , operating computerized mat wizard cutter , dry mount machine and glass cutter. I was also asked to maintain inventory and recovery for other departments of the store. our team of workers were very willing to help each other in this particular area because it provided for a daily upkeep of the store's environment. this team of co-workers all started together at the same time as this was a brand new location and we were all very proud of our accomplishments. seeing and hearing a pleased customer was without a doubt the best part of this profession. this can sometimes be a costly expense for people and knowing that they were very happy with the results of their projects pleased me to no end. I was told by the manager who hired me that there would be full time employment at the end of a training period and also an asst. mgr. had in fact confided in me that I was to become the lead in the frame shop . this did not happen and I was quite disappointed. I have trained people at other jobs and I know when the proper information has been given in order for them to succeed and become a viable asset to a company. I do not believe that this was afforded to me by the management team at this store. this could've been a new and  more... rewarding workplace for me and I am sorry that it didn't work out but I am ready to move on and my goal is to provide for myself a new opportunity to earn and be an asset for someone who is willing to give me that chance.  less
Not the greatest place to work
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  PITTSBURGH STOREFebruary 21, 2014
I have to say that i love everything that the stores carry, however they hire you and tell you that part-time is 25 hrs a week. I have worked there for 7 months and i never one time worked 25 hrs. I went and talked to my store manager numerous times about it. I was told I would get more hours. Then go to work next week to find out I have 11 hrs. I can not pay my bills on that. I am disappointed that i had to quit. I like so many people get a job because I have to work. The store that i work in seems to play favorites. I was hired before they hired seasonal help and after Christmas was over they kept on 3 people. So instead of me getting the hrs I was promised to get. The hrs are being spread to all seasonal help. I think that this is unfair. I went to Mangers and was told they could not make payroll so everyones hrs are getting cut. So why then keep extra people on when you cant give the regular employees the hrs they need. I was hired as a cashier. However I worked for another craft company for almost 5 years. I have alot of experience. When i was hired i was told that there where alot of departments that needed to be filled. Then I was never given the chance to fill one. It seems if they like you then you get pulled from the registers and put somewhere else in the store. I was depenable and reliable employee that went to work all the time. The only time i missed work was when my father passed away and when my daugher had her baby. I was upset when my father passed away that being a Christian company no one really said anything to me. That in its self was very upsettng. I dont  more... usually just up and quit a job, but this one i did. I like so many American people have bills to pay and I cant call them up and tell them I cant pay you this week because the company I work for only gave me 11 hrs. I think that the HR department needs to address these issues. When you get hired with a company and they tell you that you will get 25 hrs a week and that does not happen also that there are plenty of departments that need to be filled and its all basically lies something needs to change. SO IN ALL IF YOU LOOKING FOR STEADY WORK AND GOOD PAY LOOK SOMEWHERE ELSE.  less
Pros
good money
Cons
they lie to get you to work there and never give you hrs they say or a department.
Christian atmosphere
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 5, 2016
Hobby Lobby gives employees a great opportunity pay rate wise. But when it comes to a schedule and being full time, there is no consistency. You can leave on time or two hours later depending on the project. Management tends to have a disregard for personal lives. Seeing how their productivity/payroll is effected by their bonus, Management hardly ever makes the schedule more then a week out. Making it really difficult for you to make plans. If something doesn't go to plan, ie; the weekly truck being late, inclement weather. management changes the schedule despite whatever all has to be done to try and save payroll. When this has happened in the past, the amount of time to be worked has been shortened,but the amount of projects either stays the same or increases.Working at Hobby Lobby has taught me better multi tasking and figuring out different resources to finding how price points/ departments.Some of the hardest parts about working for Hobby Lobby at West Columbia is on multiple times, I've worked up to 13 hours on truck day before and the lack of consistency daily schedule wise. This is the only company i've ever heard of that you cant pick and choose when you use your PTO time that you've earned and you keep earning it on a weekly bases.. But company wise, they make you take your vacation a week at a time and you're not allowed to break it up. A lot of problems i have with Hobby Lobby are management based. The store manager at West Columbia is so rude. She acts like a bully and is constantly putting people down and lowering their self esteem.
Pros
Employee discount, closing early on holidays or being off all together, closing by 8 on a regular basis.
Cons
Only a 30 minute lunch break unless you work up to 12 hours in one day.
fun job as long as advancement is notwhat you are looking for.
Front End Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Houston,TxMarch 3, 2013
Start with management eagle eyeing the time clock to make sure you're not clocking in 5 minutes early, I've learned working here how to better assist customers seeing as the customers here can be very difficult and often times not know what they're looking for and expect you to be able to read minds. The management is often paranoid and constantly afraid of losing their position which trickles down to employees always walking around on egg shells and afraid to comment or make suggestions or have any opinion for being disciplined through scheduling. The general working staff is very personable and often times we all become one big family. The hardest part of the job is never knowing what rule applies on what day. The company handbook is a joke considering it gives you specific rules and guidelines but every paragraph is ended with "based on store manager approval", so one manager can discipline you for one thing then another comes in and its completely ok with them. very confusing place to work for when you never know what rules to follow, this goes all the way down to the return policy. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you have Sundays off and the store closes at 8pm. In my opinion the absolute worst part of working here is that you work all year long to acquire pto and vacation time only to be told you cant use it during certain times. i.e. no pto or vacation time is used if you miss time between October and February and you will be counseled if you miss time that they pay out to you between February and October.
Pros
sundays off, $13 hr starting pay for full time, store closes at 8pm
Cons
full time rarely gets 40hrs a week, management is a joke, your concerns are never heard understood or considered unless youre requesting time off unpaid!
Great place to work with excellent values and determination.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 25, 2013
I always opened and the morning crew was required to be there atleast ten minutes early for the meeting where we catch up on any projects from the previous day and whats going on that day. Afterwards everyone grabs a schedule and heads off to their location. Mine was cashier. After giving everyone a schedule and checking the time I had to go unlock and open the doors. That's where the day really begins. Early morning is usually return central people knowing its the best time to catch no lines. Then throughout the day its a bit of both; returns and ring ups. A typical day just insisted of helping as many customers as you can at a reasonable pace. Not too fast to make mistakes not too slow to get huge lines. But still you had to know what you were doing and do it right. which is where the CSM came in. Any questions you'd go to one of the three depending who was scheduled and then if they didnt know they got manager approval. Everyone worked well together to do things in a way to please the customer but still by the book. Returns were the hardest part of the job because you have to look for has it been used or stolen and trying to get it returned no receipt which happened to me a few times. They were also the most enjoyable though too. It makes you stay on top of things and pay attention and learn something new everyday.
Pros
good team work, all around pleasant environment
Cons
lack of communication and final decision agreement between managers.
Mediocre at best
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVJune 1, 2015
So much is expected of their workers that there is reason the pay was much more than the standard minimum wage. Long hours and expectations of learning at a faster pace than is comfortable are the nutshell of what was endured. An apparent strive for religious-only employees was one I learned too little too late. The supervisors expected much more out of me than I could have produced, given it was my first job ever. I was so excited to start working, and then, shortly after working, learned to sort of regret my decision. One cannot say anything remotely negative about the company while on site, even if it is justifiable and a decent concern. Hardest part of the job was the job itself, which was more than I could handle even though I had no experience beforehand with working. The only good part of the job that I actually and truly enjoyed was being able to work in an industry I enjoyed quite a bit. Being able to help out others with products and being able to use analytical and numerical skills to better the establishment was both fun and useful. This, however, is the only saving grace of the company, in my eyes. I'll never forget the layout of the store changing every.single.week and them expecting me to memorize it every week, even though I couldn't come into the store before my daily shifts because the store was quite far away from where I live. Long story short, go here for the occasional splurge on products and merchandise but stay away from employment.
Pros
Ideal for starting out as a cashier
Cons
Constantly shifting layout, long hours, harsh supervisors and employment, more expectations of performance than necessary
The most unpleasant work environment I have ever worked for!
Team associate , cashier ext (Former Employee) –  Michigan CitySeptember 9, 2015
This place is far the most worst job I have ever had! The management is just horrible ! Management treats their employees like animals! I only worked there for a month and can not believe I worked there that long! They do not train their employees , just expect you to know and criticize you on everything you do ( nothing you do is good enough) I had a one time encounter with upper management that came in, all he did is talk to us like we were nobodies! All the employees walk around angry and mean all day :( they just look miserable . When I started I heard 7 employees quit and while I was working there I seen a few quit . I can not believe corporate does not see what is going on in this place! The whole process of this company is a joke ! They need to get with today's technology and learn how to be more organized . The shipments that come in from the warehouse is just plain laziness and should not be aloud! The packed boxes are not packed in anyway ,everything is just thrown in there and I just don't understand how they don't lose on there inventory. The unpacking of theses shipments is the most ridiculous process I have ever experienced! Management expects the employees to be 5 people in 1 and never has a completed staff! One person at a register , come on now ! Everyone else is back up for register and sometimes that is just impossible if they expect you do get your job done that you are assigned to do for that day,and when you don't get your assigned job done you get jumped on. Employees can't help customers properly because they themselves don't know anything , due to the  more... lack of training ! The whole working experience of this company was just horrible ! Beware to new employees!  less
Pros
Cons
To many to mention
How can this company be such a success?
Store Co-Manager (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXJune 26, 2013
I only lasted 9 months as a Co-Manager at Hobby Lobby. I was brought (at a lower pay) to help my horrible work-life balance at my previous job. I was simply lied to from the recruiter about that. Although it has been about 4 years since my tenure there, I had to work 3 "open to closes" and two 10-hr shifts. The worst part, I would be scheduled six days sometimes. Even though the retail stores are closed on Sundays, my manager found it necessary to come in those days and work. There are no computers at this company. Just one in the cash office. You have to order from huge catalog books where you literally mark what you need for every item in the store. On one day of the week, the bookkeeper enters this information into the computer; which takes them all day. In October, you are required to work 6 days per week and sometimes 7. My poor friend, who I brought on with me, lasted longer than me to see those holidays. He left shortly after the New Year's because of the work load. I just do not understand how a company that is so devoted religiously can force such expectations onto their employees. The worse part is the pay. The company has done a horrible job keeping good talent because their managers make nothing. Assistants at my previous job earned more than some Store Managers at Hobby Lobby.
Pros
expanding locations
Cons
horrible work life, no technology, holiday prep (starting in june) is a nightmare, pay
Not a good environment to work in
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Sterling Heights, MIJanuary 9, 2013
I was hired to help with setting up a store in Sterling Heights, Michigan. It was tedious and at times body aching but I made good money doing it and was eventually hired to work for the company as a part-time employee. I was mostly in charge of the warehouse and I barely saw customer interaction. People around me were getting moved to different departments and at times were promoted and I stayed in the same area with warehouse. My manager was too prideful to have other help come in from other stores to help us with busy periods for the store which included the holidays and we were paid minimum wage and hardly saw any sort of raise. They are also a Christian based company and they took pride in it and it came off as being above everyone else. Customers either loved or hated the store and I remember witnessing one customer who couldn't get a refund or store credit for an item they purchased and the assistant manager at the time wasn't exactly all compassionate about it. We didn't have scanners used at the registers which meant the lines were always long and the cashiers had to punch in every item manually which took a long time at times. Overall, this company seems to be based on old methods for running a business and their management is mediocre at best. If there is one thing that was a good influence for me when working here it was during the store set up where I learned a lot about hard work ethic and teamwork to reach a goal.
Catered to my Creative Side
Dept. Head/Backup Cashier/Asst Offc Mgr (Former Employee) –  Austell, GASeptember 4, 2014
Unlike most retail positions, Hobby Lobby is a Christian based company that is closed on Sundays to allow their employees time with their families. For those of us who are creative the employee discount is a bonus in itself. The pay isn't very competitive, but that's par for the course in any retail situation. Management seems to change too frequently to build a relationship with employees. Management is actually the main reason that I left. When hired I was promised a full time position, and thought that's what I actually had as the manager saw to it that my schedule was for full time hours every week - until management changed. The new manager started and my hours got cut. When I questioned the change the new manager went into the computer and showed me that I had never been classified as a full time employee which also explained why my benefits package never did come in. As long as you're a part time employee you don't qualify for benefits. It seems as though 95% of the employees are kept at part time status purposefully. The job was never difficult. My coworkers became friends and we had a great team. We were able to learn from each other and helped out in each others' departments during breaks. If there had been better opportunity for advancement and better pay I may never have left. I absolutely loved this job. The problem is that it ended up being a dead end job.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
minimal pay for a whole lot of work
Great introduction into Retail
Department Head (Former Employee) –  Kirkwood, MOSeptember 12, 2015
A typical work day can consist of may different activities all rolled into one day. Before the store opens Isles need to be filled and/or reconstructed for current or future product. Once the store is opened the primary function is to make sure customers are helped, waited on, or checked out with little to no delays. During down times, features are set up and store is keep clean of product. After the store is closed the entire store is cleaned, all products are properly displayed and ready for the customers next shopping day. Many hats are worn on a typical day depending on the demand and the volume of customers needs. It is necessary to be well educated in every department for example what products are available, how to use them, where they are located, if they are on sale, and if they can be ordered or located at a different store. Working at a craft store I have been fortunate enough to meet and learn from a variety for talented people whether it was a customer or a co-worker. The hardest part (on extremely busy days) is not having to appropriate amount of time to full answer or help a customer in need. The majority of the time the store was always running short handed and the numerous amount of department one person had to cover was sometime a bit over whelming. the most enjoyable part of the job was that is was very fast pace, little to no down time. Because there was always something to do.
Pros
Great learning environment
Cons
healthcare; constant shift in management
Great if you only want to work a couple hours a week...
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Bangor, MEFebruary 21, 2014
The job itself is not bad, I work as a cashier part time and enjoy the work I have to do. However, store manager does not stand behind his employees when they are following policy. In example, when a customer disputes a sale and the cashier is following policy, and the customer asks for the manager, he will undermine the cashier for doing their job and kiss the customers behind to make them happy, making the employee look bad. There is also no chance for advancement, and while the pay is well above average for even part time employees, it makes no different with only 10 hours a week, especially when you have to travel a distance to get there. Job security is non existing and there are typically only 2 cashiers on for the whole day, making it difficult to cover breaks. Cashiers have also been only receiving 1 (unpaid lunch) break while floor associates working the same amount of hours are receiving 2 breaks (1 paid 15 minute and 1 unpaid 30 minute). Finally, there is no way an employee can plan anything around their schedule. Each next weeks schedule is posted only 2 - 3 days before the current week ends, so 2 - 3 days is all notice you have to plan something for the following week. They also let people go without notice, (people show up to work and are told they are all done, just so they can cut hours). Co workers are the best part.
Pros
coworkers, pay (if you get full-time), hobby lobby closes earlier than most, sundays off
Cons
hours per week, company has no loyalty to employees, no job security, no advancement opportunity, etc...