Hobby Lobby Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,072 reviews matching the search
Looks can be very decieving
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 29, 2016
Worked there for over 6 months, definitely no seniority recognition whatsoever. New employees would show up and get more hours and floor positions over employees that's been there longer. Great pay but hardly any hours. Half of the management has an attitude. Most employees, even though they get paid very well, act like they hate their jobs. You can't scan any items to insure that things are properly entered complete with discounts and it's silly that customers get irate over not being able to use the coupon more than once, which makes this job more stressful than it needs to be.
Pros
Finding your inner artist
Cons
No full time hours for employees that prefer it
Working part time
Certified Framer (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJuly 7, 2016
-I design and prepare art and photo frames for customers. Public and customer relations and service.
-I get to use my creative side and it continues to grow. I also learned about the retail business and behind the scenes.
-The co-managers care about the employees and help in any way they can.
-I enjoy working with my co-workers and some have become friends outside of work.
-The hardest part of the job is being creative. For me, it's a continued learning process.
-Working with my hands and being creative is very enjoyable. Also, I enjoy working with and assisting the customers.
Pros
Fairly flexible schedule.
Cons
Not enough work hours.
Great pay and benefits/ poor management
Lead Framer (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJuly 19, 2016
Hobby Lobby can be a great place to work. As a company they take good care of their employees. The hardest part of the job was dealing with members of the management team. They often use negative reinforcement tactics which creates a rift between them and their employees. Overall I have high praise for Hobby Lobby. If your lucky enough to work under a manager you like...you may just find yourself loving your job!
Pros
Pay
Cons
I have learned alot while employeed and enjoyed the team and the interaction with customers
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  New Hartford, NYJune 17, 2016
I enjoy working with a company where you are able to grow and better your skills along with learning new material. I have learn with many of my jobs having a great team helps to get the job done and a more enjoyable place to work. Always should remember the Ten Foot Rule--Acknowledge the customer. Interacting shows you care about the customer and its the customer that makes the company expand along with the workers.
Over worked and under paid.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Rosenberg, TXJune 24, 2016
With a tight hold on payroll and lots of work to be done many times you find yourself doing twice amount of work in half the time. I imagine with different management things would be better but with the current manager things are difficult. It is nice working for a Christian company but there needs to be a bit of reform. Would give 5 stars with change in operations.
Pros
Off on Sundays, Flexable schedule.
Cons
No benifits for part-time, Not enough hours.
Manager needs skills on how to treat employees
Cashier (Current Employee) –  North Charleston, SCJune 4, 2016
Hobby Lobby overall is a great company except for the way they hire people in opening a store. This particular store hired 60 people and fired around half of those after only being open for 2 1/2 months. Some that were left were only given 4-6 hours a week. The manager at this store treats employees worse than I've ever seen people treated. There is no respect.
Pros
Hard working employees, Christian values
Cons
Manager is not nice to employees, no respect. Promised advancement then it goes to someone else without any notice to you, Very unorganized management.
Hobby Lobby is a great Christian company and we all appreciate the fact that they are closed on Sunday and we are able to worship instead of work.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Shelby, NCJune 1, 2016
I love working here but get very limited hours; enjoy the people I work with and the customers I serve. I need full-time employment with benefits. The store is new to the area and people seem to really be happy that it has located to the Shelby area.

Management treats us fairly and we are allowed ample breaks and lunches. Great place to work.
Pros
ample time for breaks and lunches
Cons
Amazing place to work, with funny loving people.
Sales associate, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WAMay 30, 2016
I have learned a lot working at Hobby Lobby, from working cash register to stocking merchandise and even cleaning. My co-workers made everything a better time when being a slow day and or having rude customers. The hardest part would be the rude misunderstanding customers, it is very difficult to please everyone, when they hear something they do not want to hear, but you just kill them with kindness. Most enjoyable part of the day is sitting to eat my lunch for a quick 30 minutes, because food solves lots of problems in a bad or even good day.
Pros
Discounts, and Health benefits
Cons
Non paid breaks, and Rude customers.
Productive, fast paced work place
part- time cashier (Current Employee) –  NHJuly 21, 2016
A typical day at work is fast paced running around, resetting different departments into different ways. I enjoy helping customers to the best of my abilities and making sure the customers go home with a big smile on there face and want to enjoy coming back. I enjoy trying to come up with the ideas that the customers aren't really sure what they are looking for, I can be very good at this part of my job.
Loved working there. But it's really hard work.
Cashier / Stocker / Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 12, 2016
Loved working there. Nice employees. Management works really hard right along with the employees. I was very impressed with that. Never worked for a company where managers worked so hard. I learned a lot from this company. It made me a better person in regards to helping others and enjoying hard work. Hardest part is only having one 15 minute break in the morning and a 30 lunch around 12 or 2 when your working a 9 to 10 hours shift on your feet the whole time. It was hard on your feet and back. Loved the employee discount was awesome.
Pros
Loved helping customer with craft projects and ideas.
Cons
Working a 9 to 10 hour shift on your feet the hold time, getting one 15 minute Break and 30 lunch. Need another break later in your shift.
Good work environment
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saint Peters, MOMay 26, 2016
ordering, stocking, handling monies, resetting isles, heavy lifting, cleaning, etc. I learned time management and quick thinking in the eyes of the customer. I enjoyed my GM, he was the only authority for my department, the assistants did not leave their departments. My co-workers were great and very helpful. Hardest part of the job was Christmas, that is the biggest season for the store, and many long after hours to set up and organize. Most enjoyable part is the staff was great, we all got along well.
Pros
always some thing new to work on, staff
Cons
no benefits, no promotional options available
its a good job if you like WORK
Hobby Lobby putter (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 29, 2016
Hobby lobby is a very good job but you have to want to work ,Alot of the people i have trained come in and stay for about a week just enough to know thew job and then they quit... It is hard work but it pays really well i just got 30 hours of over time on this check i got But like i said you have to like to work . I work almost 6 days a week i am so tired when i get home and my body hurts but it pays all the bills then some so ...
fun workplace with amazing inventory
Cashier/Seasonal, Cards & Party Department (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 16, 2016
What I've learned with Hobby Lobby is that consistency is key even though a day in retail is never the same but by treating a customer with respect and humanity you earn the same in return. Management tends to be the first ones to incorporate this policy of respecting oneself the customer and the work environment. My co-workers are amazing people that give nothing but southern hospitality. The hardest part of my job would be not being able to help the customer with items that they need due to not having them in stock. The most enjoyable part of my job would be the constant learning I am a person who loves to learn.
Hourly position. Hard work, Management team is tough.
Hourly Associate (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 25, 2016
Hourly pay is higher than most retail, but you work for it. Employees unload freight in the dock, stock all materials. Benefits are good, but again, you work for it.

Management is tough and sometimes unfair. There is a clear resentment between management and staff -- on both sides. Staff speaks negatively of management, mostly because of unfair demands made by management on employees. Managers, meanwhile, speak negatively of their individual staff members -- something that should never occur in management as it is unprofessional.

All in all, the job breaks even on workplace desirability vs pay scale... essentially, the extra $ makes up for the negative environment.
Pros
Higher pay than most retail
Cons
Long periods without breaks, management is unprofessional & negative.
Not a welcoming place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSJuly 12, 2016
Management was very rude. Needs ALOT of work. Didn't make you feel wanted. And definitely not the pay they say it was going to be when they hire you in. Yeah its nice to have Sundays off but when you don't feel wanted and also when you don't feel like your family matters when it critical. You just leave.
Pros
Great co-workers, Pretty stuff to look at
Cons
Bad Management, Bad Commitment
Don't apply there
CSR/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Russell, KYApril 24, 2016
The worst place to work I was miserable and the last year I was there I cried everyday. One of my best days ever was when I got another job and left. Management has favorites which are the kiss ups and get everything they want. In a day you might be expected to get a big reset done but you are called to run a register 100 times in that day. Their thing is to set you up for failure at every turn. I was gone from there for 5 months and the manager was trash mouthing about me in a employee meeting. Called corporate a couple of times including after I left when he was talking about me. Of course that did no good. Based on Christian principles my foot!
Pros
$15.00 an hour
Cons
management stinks
Hobby Lobby
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHApril 23, 2016
A typical work day involved working directly with customers and coworkers, receiving phone calls, restocking merchandise, and sales floor recovery.
I learned about customer service, financial transactions, conducting phone calls, recovering the sales floor, and suggestive selling
Management was excellent, they were very attentive and friendly.
The most difficult part of the job was dealing with the occasionally difficult customer, but the best thing to combat that is with a smile. Assume that the customer is just having a bad day and be considerate of the customer.
The most enjoyable part of my job there was knowing that I was able to help the customers and the company succeed.
Pros
Friendly Staff and Management
Cons
Short staffing
Negative atmosphere, poor management, no room for growth
Department Head/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 15, 2016
The company runs on out of date technology. No scanners at the registers, management criticizes employees at registers, in front of customers, training involves watching videos from over 10 years ago, inventory consist of counting and writing down number of items on a piece of paper that is then counted two business days later. When the made up inventory number comes back negative, the management blames the employees. Terrible environment!
Pros
Pays higher per hour than most retail
Cons
Cut hours according to sales, managers are unproductive and unprofessional.
Good job.
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Gladstone, MOApril 16, 2016
Hobby lobby is a pretty good job. For as long as i've been there, under a year, everyone actually really likes it. Be prepared to work your butt off, though, because they do and they will. The cooperation gives you a lot of opportunities in and outside of work. A day at work is more times than not, fairly busy. If you work the front registers, you will be there all day. Hardest part of the job i would say is truck day. They have a rule, "no one leaves until freight it put away" Its stressful, but it always gets done.
Great customer service expected and provided
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Tupelo, MSApril 20, 2016
memorizing sales and location of products, informing customers of sales, checking out customer merchandise
I learned how to better help customers with their wants and needs.
Hardest: hard time getting time off when needed
Enjoyable: helping customers with projects and questions
Pros
celebrating birthdays, benefits offered, good pay
Cons
30min lunch, work schedules vary on weekly basis