Hobby Lobby Employee Reviews

Found 1,123 reviews matching the search
Right up my ally
Art Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Morrow, GAMarch 13, 2016
Hobby Lobby was a great place to work. Management and staff were very helpful and accommodating. I was pregnant when I worked for this company. They afforded me all the time I needed in order to go to doctor visits and take care of myself. I had a tendency to overwork myself. I was in charge of the Art department and I also worked as Professional Framer. I had a few other ladies that worked in the frame shop with me. There was always a lot of work that had to be done but we were committed as a team to complete all the tasks that needed to be done. When I went out of emergency leave, shortly after my store was closed for relocation. After I came back I was unable to return to the company with great sadness.This was a great company to work for.
Pros
Comfortable atmosphere to work in, great management staff
Cons
No medical benefits
hobby lobby
Art Director (Former Employee) –  Harvey, LADecember 30, 2015
A typical day at Hobby Lobby was me walking in to the store, clocking in at designated time. Then checking the schedule and seeing what register I am on and proceeding to it to count it down. If I am on a primary register I open up and check out customers or refund them on items being returned. If not on a primary register I would report to a manager for assignment and designated work area for the day. The hardest part of the job for myself was not being able to be in my department most of my shift. The most enjoyable part of my job was my co workers. Helping them keep morale up and assist them with questions they had for customers. My coworkers were a balanced bunch. Most of them loved working for hobby lobby while the others complained about lack of staff and hours.The management were a good crew, limited but skilled in their fields.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Limited Employee Positions
Fun, Hands On
Stockman, Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 8, 2016
Hobby Lobby is a great place to work. They management and cooperate offices really take care of their employees. Good pay rates, good hours, fun environment.

I'd work at Hobby Lobby again
Pros
Good Raises, Fun Co Workers, Great Work Environment, Flexible and Good work hours
Cons
Undermanned, Heavy Lifting up Ladders, Risky Job sometimes
Trash
Receiver/Stocker, Puller (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMarch 31, 2016
Friendly Co-workers with a few exceptions. Manager is complete idiots. Time management with life is up in the air. Never know when you're getting off, so you can't plan your day. Pay and benefits is the only reason to stay at this job. No way you're advancing in this jobs.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Managers
Great starter company
Co-Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 11, 2016
This is a great company to grow with. Job security is fantastic if you are a hard worker and so is the possibility for advancement. Fantastic benefits and overall good work environment. However, in certain departments, work load and overtime can quickly become intrusive to home life. In short, great job for someone just out of high school or with no family commitments.
Pros
Benefits, Advancement
Cons
massive required overtime and short/ no notice of overtime.
Great customers!
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Clermont, FLMarch 14, 2016
The customers are great. It is a destination store and it is always busy. However, there is hardly any chance to work full time and receive the benefits applauded by the media. It is an easy part time job, however.
Pros
Easy to learn
Cons
No upward advancement
Great employees with great schedule flexibility
Frame Shop Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, TXFebruary 8, 2016
Work at Hobby Lobby can be fun, but also stressful at time especially around Christmas. The hours are great for full time. The benefits are great with Dental and Medical with a full time applicant.
The employees hired are always positive with a work hard attitude.
Pros
Bonuses, Start out pay.
Cons
Christmas nights
An okay place to work depending on the managers you have
Framer/Cashier (Permanent Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXAugust 23, 2016
I had work for this company for three years, the co-workers were all hardworking and great to work with, and depending on the mangers you had it was a good experience.

If your a very interactive and engaging person, this company pays well for part-time and very well for full time.

Hardest part of the job is not having much free time, or any weekends or holidays off. higher management does not care for store based employees, with little to no advancement opportunities.

Interacting with new people and customers was probably the most enjoyable part of the job
Pros
Fair pay, and good co-workers. hours are good if you permanat
Cons
No weekends or holidays, higher management does not care for employees. no room for advancement
Good job for people starting in retail.
department head (Current Employee) –  Sedalia, MOJuly 29, 2016
I have years of retail experience. Been with Hobby Lobby for about 6 months now. It's physically challenging but mentally boring. I'm used to being a supervisor with reports, numbers, SKUs, sales, cross merchandising, associates and many other things to answer to. At Hobby Lobby they want it down their way and only their way.. I worked the big Orange box for years. They want you to set a display using GM info, sales info, OH info and report back to them with positive or negative results. Miss that place to this day. Hard to learn true retail with no SKU numbers. Those things do wonders. This company is an oversized mom n pop shop typing everything in like at your favorite candy store... But like i said, great place to start off at. But you'll be lost if you transition from here to a SKU using, big box company.
Pros
Good pay. Sunday off.
Cons
No challenge. no say or ideas listened to.
Company with great values and financial rewards for doing a good job
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 1, 2016
You will put in a lot of hours in order to keep up with many tasks and freight flow. The operating hours, schedule weekend rotation, and being closed on Sundays is great for the employees to have time for family and worship. I learned that creating elegant displays will assist in creating more value to merchandise as well as inspire customers to buy more of those items to re-create that in their homes. It is a company that is constantly changing the products in their stores to keep the customer's shopping experience fresh and to follow the current trends in crafts and home decorating. Be prepared to be in a constant state of change with plan-o-grams, moving out deleted merchandise, and keeping the store clean, neat, and organized while doing so.
Pros
Closed Sundays, Great Employees to work around
Cons
Long hours for Management, dealing with a lot of merchandise in a very little space
If you are a craft type person this is a great place to work, you always obtain a new idea for a craft.
Sales Associate/Cashier/Department Head (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXAugust 29, 2016
Customer service to the customers, helping them find what they were looking for and helping with ideas when they were not sure what they wanted. Most co-workers were fun to work with and we helped each other, others were back stabbing and would sabotage other co-workers work. Became a hostile place to work because the manager would not intervene. The hardest part of the job was cleaning up paint because they wanted to look at the color in the bottle then they would smear some of the paint on the shelves instead of on the scraps of paper we had for them. The most enjoyable part of the job was rolling out the Christmas merchandise, (in June)
Pros
Have Sundays off. Lots of overtime during the Holiday season.
Cons
Dealing with rude customers and shoplifters, Manager at the time did not like confrontation and problems arise because of it.
Very productive place to work, quick paced
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 20, 2016
Pros
Closed Sundays, Great Employees to work around
Cons
Loved working there. But it's really hard work.
Cashier / Stocker / Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 12, 2016
Loved working there. Nice employees. Management works really hard right along with the employees. I was very impressed with that. Never worked for a company where managers worked so hard. I learned a lot from this company. It made me a better person in regards to helping others and enjoying hard work. Hardest part is only having one 15 minute break in the morning and a 30 lunch around 12 or 2 when your working a 9 to 10 hours shift on your feet the whole time. It was hard on your feet and back. Loved the employee discount was awesome.
Pros
Loved helping customer with craft projects and ideas.
Cons
Working a 9 to 10 hour shift on your feet the hold time, getting one 15 minute Break and 30 lunch. Need another break later in your shift.
A fast pace friendly environment.
Department Head (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJune 22, 2016
Hobby Lobby is a terrific company to work for whether your fresh out of high school or on your second retirement. We have a excellent team who are dedicated to delivering the best customer service in retail. Each day is filled with an active schedule usually consisting of merchandise and inventory checks, cashiering, and even some salesmanship. The management from the top down are stand-up grade A employees who are always willing to handle the tasks normally expected of their subordinates. This only sets the standard for remainder of my co-workers. What I've learned most is that hard work really does pay off in the end. I believe the hardest part about tis job will be leaving. I truly enjoyed my working experience and look forward as I move to new and hopefully bigger and better endeavors.
Pros
The strong staff and loyal customers.
Cons
A small door for advancement.
Team driver
CDL A DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 31, 2016
A great place to work, just ask anybody. As a team driver, the routes are long and may seem much longer if you have a bad teamate. The benefits are above and beyond and management is great. The equipment is by far THE BEST out there.
Pros
Benefits, equipment, management, atmosphere
Cons
It all depends on your teamate
Worst place I've ever worked
Dept. Lead (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORMarch 18, 2016
Higher management (than store level) is out of touch with a normal workday and what they expect. EVERY DAY we are tasked with doing 4 things at a time and they expect you to do that EVERY day. Customer service is none existent because they don't give you time to help the customers. You ask for other positions that open within the store and they still hire off the street. Our store had employees in management that were dating subordinates and this is a big NO-NO according to their employee manual/policy, but yet it is allowed to continue. Managers fraternize with their 'friends' outside of work (again a big NO-NO). There are definite favorites within management, which causes other hard workers to be passed over. You can request time off but they don't have to give it to you, or they approve it and then take it back because of the 'needs' of the store. If the freight truck is late (happens semi-often), you are told you have to come back later (after some have driven 30-45 minutes to get to work) and your day then just becomes a 12 hr day. If you're F/T their F/T is a maximum of 35 hrs/week, which is 20 hrs/month less than what you assume you'll be getting, which is a large chunk of income lost vs in other jobs. Some employees are allowed to do things that other employees are told they will be written up for if they don't do whatever it is the manager is telling you (ex. entire store told they have to tuck in their shirts while at work but 'favorites' don't have to do it and never get called out for it). Worst place I've ever worked!!
Benefits
Cons
Horrible Management, Horrible work environment, TOXIC!!
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Rhinelander, WIAugust 24, 2016
I heard it was a Christian company and it paid well with full benefits so I thought it would be a great place to work. It would have been if it wasn't for the HORRID management! I ABSOLUTELY loved the store, loved my co-workers, but the manager was verbally abusive. Their way of motivating employees is to be rude, condescending and demeaning. They never tell you that you do anything right or a good job. You never work hard enough, fast enough, or good enough. The manager tells you he just needs to clone himself to get work done around the place as if nobody else does anything yet you leave there sweating every shift from working so hard. I finally realized, he cannot be pleased and I am working way too hard for someone who doesn't appreciate me or my work. After many rude and demeaning remarks were made it was brought to his boss and he said we had it coming to us. Clearly this is the way they train their managers to treat employees. Sickening for a so called christian company!!!
Pros
Pay
Cons
management
Looks can be very decieving
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 29, 2016
Worked there for over 6 months, definitely no seniority recognition whatsoever. New employees would show up and get more hours and floor positions over employees that's been there longer. Great pay but hardly any hours. Half of the management has an attitude. Most employees, even though they get paid very well, act like they hate their jobs. You can't scan any items to insure that things are properly entered complete with discounts and it's silly that customers get irate over not being able to use the coupon more than once, which makes this job more stressful than it needs to be.
Pros
Finding your inner artist
Cons
No full time hours for employees that prefer it
Little to no Training/ Long hours
Co-Manager/Manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 19, 2016
I was hired on as a Co-manager. The recruiter paints a pretty picture. She told me the schedule would be a 55 hour work week and says possibly more during holidays which was not a problem. . My work week was 70 plus hours. I was told by the district manager they had lost 1600 co-managers. No training like they said and extremely long hours. People are sent on store sets out of town for weeks at a time with no time off. They say they are family oriented. NO TIME FOR FAMILY as a salaried manager. Otherwise if you want a full time hourly job, it might be ok
Pros
Pay is okay
Cons
Long hours, Little to no training
A good starter job. Good co workers. Pretty good bosses
Warehouse Worker/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Midland TexasJune 16, 2016
This is a good job to show a teen that hard work can pay off. The co workers are amazing and treat you as family. They show you everything you need to know. The bosses give you support and some guidance too. The down thing of this job it can/will be stressful. Customers are the biggest source of it. A lot do not understand how difficult it is to type everything and look up what's on sale. That's another thing; it is very inefficient by doing this. I get that the company is saving money but it is very time consuming forcing more pressure on cashiers to get the job done as fast and correct as possible. But the one manager I do not like is the regional manager. He will tell you to do something but unlike the main boss of the store, he won't give you any clue what to do causing frustration, and stressful situations. This is a alright store to work just be prepared for customers.
Pros
Good pay closed on Sunday
Cons
Inefficient registers