Hobby Lobby Employee Reviews

Found 1,302 reviews matching the search
To many Chiefs do not make for a strong tribe.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COAugust 26, 2016
I really hoped to advance into management working at Hobby Lobby but after 2 years of working there for over 40 hours a week and still considered part time, I realized there wasn't a future for me at Hobby Lobby.
Pros
Great atmosphere, great coworkers, friendly customers
Cons
no benefits, 12 hour shifts without the oppurtunity for overtime
Amazing people and a very exciting enviroment.
Department Head (Former Employee) –  Lake Jackson, TXFebruary 1, 2017
A typical day at hobby lobby is getting with your managers and seeing what objectives must be done.
I learned a lot from merchandising to great customer service.
Managers are great they make the job smooth and fun at the same time.
The hardest part their their wasn't one that Ive ever noticed.
The most enjoyable part was working together as a team and finishing tasks accordingly.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
Hard to advance
Fun and creative place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WA 99208February 7, 2017
Typical day consists of entering item codes, applying coupons, accepting forms of payment, wrapping and bagging up items and conversing with multiple customers. Management is great, and everyone who works there is extremely friendly. Hardest part of the job would be memorizing the weekly sale add while the most enjoyable would be talking to customers and helping them find their crafting needs.
Pros
Employee discount on merchandice
Cons
Not many hours for part time eployees when not in seaonal months
Little to no Training/ Long hours
Co-Manager/Manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 19, 2016
I was hired on as a Co-manager. The recruiter paints a pretty picture. She told me the schedule would be a 55 hour work week and says possibly more during holidays which was not a problem. . My work week was 70 plus hours. I was told by the district manager they had lost 1600 co-managers. No training like they said and extremely long hours. People are sent on store sets out of town for weeks at a time with no time off. They say they are family oriented. NO TIME FOR FAMILY as a salaried manager. Otherwise if you want a full time hourly job, it might be ok
Pros
Pay is okay
Cons
Long hours, Little to no training
Hourly position. Hard work, Management team is tough.
Hourly Associate (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 25, 2016
Hourly pay is higher than most retail, but you work for it. Employees unload freight in the dock, stock all materials. Benefits are good, but again, you work for it.

Management is tough and sometimes unfair. There is a clear resentment between management and staff -- on both sides. Staff speaks negatively of management, mostly because of unfair demands made by management on employees. Managers, meanwhile, speak negatively of their individual staff members -- something that should never occur in management as it is unprofessional.

All in all, the job breaks even on workplace desirability vs pay scale... essentially, the extra $ makes up for the negative environment.
Pros
Higher pay than most retail
Cons
Long periods without breaks, management is unprofessional & negative.
Hobby Lobby
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 14, 2017
Great company to work for, great pay, customers are great. My first work place I was at was great, management was great at first. Then our manager switched to a different store and the new manager was great but along with other managers they weren't that great to the employees. I ended up transferring to another store and that place was amazing, management was amazing at that store. I have learned so much from my work place, I loved what I did.
Great environment
Customer Service Manager/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmond, OKDecember 30, 2016
I have worked for this company for a little over 3 years. I have loved getting to know my co-workers and that have become like a family. We have changed management a lot so changing different little things to meet the specifications for each manager was a challenge but nothing that couldn't be dealt with. The best part of the job was definitely the atmosphere with my co-workers.
Pros
flexible schedules and being religious based company
Cons
not always guaranteed a break
great hours great pay
Office Manager/Bookkeeper (Current Employee) –  Columbus, INJanuary 29, 2017
The first few hours of my day would be in my office doing clerical work. The rest of my day would be on the floor helping customers, ordering a department, putting away freight, setting new product sets or helping team members and management with any administrative needs (fax, email, contact with corporate, making signs, some hr, etc). I have learned excellent customer service skills, bookkeeping skills and how to be a part of a team.
Pros
great pay great hours
Cons
unorganized management
Fun place to work if you arent looking to accomplish any career goals
Receiving Associate (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COFebruary 1, 2017
Hobby lobby was a fun place to work. The people are friendly and for the most part the customers are as well. The district and regional managers are short tempered however. The hours vary from 15-25 per week as part time and seeing as how they view full time as a promotion that they can only have so many of at a time it is incredibly difficult to get more hours than 25 in a week.
Pros
Fun environemnt to work in
Cons
No real advancement opporurnities
Ok job
Crafts Department Head (Former Employee) –  Stillwater, OKSeptember 1, 2016
My store may have been the exception but this was a job that was tolerable at best due to excessive stress caused by management and overall conduct. Healthcare and benefits were sub-par and would hardly pay for any portion of medical bills, clinic visits, etc.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Management, poor healthcare and benefits, stressful environment
Great company to work for, despite occasional problems
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Lake Worth, TXMay 3, 2016
Hobby Lobby is a good company to work for; the Green family shows a clear desire to take care of their employees, though that desire is blurred through each level of management that it goes through. Each level manager or supervisor (regional, district, store, co-manager, etc.) has a different opinion about how things should be done and have their own take on policies, which can sometimes leave things about the policies to be lost in translation. The wages are competitive, but the hours are based on how well the store is doing on its budget; therefore, if the store is not getting the sales it's supposed to be getting, the workers simply won't get the amount of hours they are supposed to. The customers are generally well-mannered and polite, but do get frustrated about the lack of clarity about items that are currently on sale, usually because of the company's confusing use of signage.
Pros
Competitive wages, decent benefits for full time employees, PPTO and rewards for excessive PPTO gathered
Cons
Irregular break times for cashiers, lack of clarity in policies, problems with customers based on confusing ad signage
Very great enviroment.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Flowood, MSNovember 13, 2016
I worked with Hobby Lobby for ruffly six months to a year. I unfortunately fractured my knee and was let go due to surgery and medical reasons; however, was hired a second time once i was back on my feet. I really enjoy the atmosphere at Hobby Lobby the people were very nice and I enjoyed working with them. The management was also always there to help the co-workers and customers. The store itself was very organized and everything and everyone had a job and a place.
Pros
Organized and pleasant customers.
Cons
Some managment was not very people orinted.
good place to work
Custom Framing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Flint, MISeptember 29, 2016
Everyone was super friendly and helpful at work. They taught me everything I needed to know to sound professional when speaking to customers about custom framing.
Pros
free cake the first wednesday of every month
Cons
company wide raises only
Liked the people, hated the job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tinley Park, ILDecember 27, 2016
I have never seen a store so behind the times. There are no scanners for sales, discounts, etc and customers are not aware of that. It takes too long to go through the lines if everything is manually entered. Returning an item is horrible as nothing is labeled. Take an educated guess and hope you get it right. It was a good experience, but one I hope to never repeat. Management is much to be desired.
Pros
My coworkers were very helpful and friendly.
Cons
Management was poor.
Manager needs skills on how to treat employees
Cashier (Current Employee) –  North Charleston, SCJune 4, 2016
Hobby Lobby overall is a great company except for the way they hire people in opening a store. This particular store hired 60 people and fired around half of those after only being open for 2 1/2 months. Some that were left were only given 4-6 hours a week. The manager at this store treats employees worse than I've ever seen people treated. There is no respect.
Pros
Hard working employees, Christian values
Cons
Manager is not nice to employees, no respect. Promised advancement then it goes to someone else without any notice to you, Very unorganized management.
Productive workplace
Framing Lead/ Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Laguna Niguel, CAJanuary 4, 2017
Typical workday would be mostly customer service related but some stocking and shifting of product, You'll more than likely learn good customer service skills along with learning to zone and stock shelves. Almost all co-workers have been great as far as management goes not the greatest depends which store there's always some bad eggs.
Pros
Nice work place hrs arnt hectic
Cons
Other than management no real cons
Wonderful place to work, great co-workers and management
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Bettendorf, IAJanuary 13, 2017
I enjoyed working at Hobby Lobby. The customers were generally happy, the co-workers and management easy to work with. The resets were fun to do. Retail work can be tricky with scheduling, as they need you to have high availability. The only reason I left was for personal health reasons.
Pros
Friendly work environment
Cons
high availability for scheduling required
Great Place to Work
Co-Manager/Store Manager (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaFebruary 12, 2017
Hobby Lobby does a great job of giving employees and managers work/life balance. They care about family and it shows. The job does have a lot of tasking (even for managers). The company keeps the job simple and they continually try and improve areas that are not simple. With how quickly the company is growing they are learning more and more on how to make things better for manages and employees.
Great Company Very Poor Local Management
Front End Worker (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYJanuary 27, 2017
Hobby Lobby is a great company and promotes a good work environment through guidelines and training. The lack of a sku system will make some things easier and other things harder than what you find in other retail locations. Cashiering is stressful with everything entered manually, but the company makes up for it with a high hourly pay rate ($10 minimum). Interacting with customers is usually low-stress and enjoyable, as the primary shoppers are mothers and grandparents. Advancement within the company is possible too, I was offered a full time position after working there a year.

The one area they are very much lacking in is proper management accountability. The Cheyenne WY location has a high resignation rate (with only the hardiest or desperate staying). Hobby Lobby doesn't make it clear who employees are suppose to call when their management is abusive to them. And should you find out who to call, or should customers complain on your behalf, the management is likely to just get a "slap on the wrist". No matter how many times they yell at you in front of customers, disrespect customers themselves, or humiliate you in the staff meetings, they won't be fired or replaced.

So, if you've got good management at a particular location, expect a great experience. You'll find your coworkers are fun to work with and the job enjoyable. I would say that's the norm for most Hobby Lobbies. But if you've got bad management, don't bother staying. Regional managers will allow the abusive behavior to continue, so "sticking it out" is pointless.
Pros
good starting pay, good customer base, good workplace, good training
Cons
poor management accountability
soul crushing
Manager - Framing Department (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 29, 2016
this was a dark period in my life. Management just doesn't care at all. we were given a shift that ended at 4pm lets say and required to work till 8 or 9pm with no extra breaks. we had to do this often because the management wanted to just get things done. justification for no extra breaks was "if we had finished the project we wouldn't need to stay longer so just get it done". the technology at work was primitive at best. cashiers still have to manually input the price of every single item. there are no bar code scanners. ordering is done manually as well, walking to each item on a shelf, reading a small tag behind the item and ordering "enough but not too much". corporate gives store layouts for every single store to make them all look the same but every store size is different. our store had more hours of vacation allotted to the staff than we were allowed to take so there were times where people didn't get to use their vacation for the year due to needs of the business. i wouldn't ever work here again and honestly would strongly discourage anyone from thinking about it.
Pros
pay
Cons
everything non pay related. shifts. hours. people. management. archaic technology. corporate.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hobby Lobby. Our community is ready to answer.