Hobby Lobby

Hobby Lobby Employee Reviews

fun and love my co-workers
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Florence, KYDecember 15, 2015
i do janitor duties, like sweep, clean bathroom, trash, unload truck. i have learned to love all people and not to judge anyone, i love my coworkers, they are the best. i hardest part of my job is when i get behind of my duties, and try to get done before we leave. The most enjoyable part of my job is when the customer is happy and they say thank you and have a great day
Hardwork, good pay, not enough consistant hours of work each week
Stockmen (Former Employee) –  Athens, GADecember 14, 2015
Management is hired from outside, they don't understand or know the stores daily function, you have to rely of seasoned employees to get the job done.
Pros
Good pay for par-time employment.
Cons
Weekly work hours changed from week to week, couldn't count on the same amount each week.
loved it
Temp/ Stockman (Former Employee) –  Lufkin, TXDecember 12, 2015
I am very artistic so I loved working there just sucked I was a Temp worker for the holidays. So the chance of me getting a part time gig was slim to none. The employees were great and management was awesome. Customer service was fantastic spoke with people all day.
Pros
good hours
Cons
truck days you are going to stay 16 hrs or more.
Great place to learn to communicate quickly and efficently
Customer Service Manager (CSM) (Current Employee) –  Flowood, MSDecember 11, 2015
Every day is "hit the ground running". I am quick, sharp and on top of every task. Struggles appear instantly several times a day, such as cashiers showing up late, calling in or not showing up. Many times, the store is overwhelmed with customers that we can't afford to ignore or not satisfy; therefore, I am looking for solutions quickly.

The hardest part of the job is making up for the issues I have no control over, such as having a short handed staff. This issue becomes a hurdle for every one in the store, especially during the holiday rush. Finding solutions is stressful and difficult, but so far, I've been successful with no called in or filed complaints from customers.

The most enjoyable part of the job is walking with the customer, learning their projects and then helping them find the right products.

I have learned to work in stressful situations while maintaining patience and understanding. Although I have made mistakes in my managerial experience, I have learned from them, and that is what I will take with me as I look for better opportunities.
Pros
good hourly pay
Cons
short staff, more stress during holidays with longer hours and short staff
Excellent Company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 11, 2015
Family owned, Christian based morals, treat employees well with more than competitive wage rates, including benefits to part-time employees.
Able to get on plane.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GADecember 9, 2015
My typical day at Aramark was cleaning the planes. Making sure the plane safe and secure, I learning how big planes really was. How much time it go into cleaning a plane. The hardest part of the job was working under harsh positions.The workers had to clean the plane with the air condition on even if it was below low freezing outside or the heat on even if it was hot outside. I push through it and clean the plane to best of my abilities. What I enjoy the most walking around the planes.
Pros
Getting on plane and meet new people
Cons
No Healthcare
Fun and energetic
Cashier/Fabric Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Logan, UTDecember 8, 2015
This place is very educational and professional. Management is great and willing to work with scheduling. People are encouraging and fun to work with.
Fast paced working environment,
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, NEDecember 7, 2015
Most coworkers are friendly and try to be helpful. Management can be a bit strict at times. Can become very busy and must be able to work quickly with customers.
Pros
Good pay, nice coworkers, good benefits if full time
Cons
long shifts, not very flexible with weekends off, management can be strict
Very unfulfilling work environment. Managers and Co-managers are used as stockboys for approximately 90%-95% of the time.
Co-Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 6, 2015
From the moment I started working for Hobby Lobby I knew that this was not a place that I would call home for any length of time. The environment is very rigid and stale with little room for thinking on your own and being creative. There is also very little managing being performed by the managers which is something that as a retail manager I find mind boggling. An ordinary day at Hobby Lobby sees me coming in and immediately heading to the department to stock shelves and move product from aisle to aisle. Mind you, this is 5-6 days a week for the entire time that I am there. I do not mind getting dirty and tasking with the associates, but this is all day every day with very little else. Sometimes the same product is moved 8-10 times before it is sold through. The other interesting thing that I found out about Hobby Lobby is that all returns need to be signed off by a manager for any amount. I have signed off on returns for as little as .16 cents, which seems to be a complete waste of productivity. It is hours per week standing at the front end signing off on returns. One last comment is that when upper management come into the stores for a visit it is very rarely that you can get a hello or a smile. Not very Christian for a Christian based company.
Pros
Sundays off
Cons
Environment
productive environment
Associate (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXDecember 4, 2015
Its like you are part of the family at Bushs
They hire all ages and do not discriminate, everyone is treated equally, really enjoy the cusotmers at this location
Fast paced retail
ssistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ALDecember 3, 2015
During the holiday season, you'll stay in the seasonal department. Outside of Christmas, you'll do a lot of resets, which involve plan-o-grams. It's not too difficult. Register systems are almost primitive, with no barcode system. All prices and discounts are keyed by hand.
Pros
Employee discount of 15% on all items
Cons
Insurance isn't great
this is not a good company to work for
Product Restock Associate (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 2, 2015
This company does not respect employees.

They have unrealistic goals.

If you are hurt because of poor working conditions, they basically give you what they have to and then toss you out.
Pros
some co-workers nice
Cons
not guaranteed 40 hours a week unlesscompany decides.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Bossier City, LADecember 2, 2015
A typical day at Hobby Lobby consists of greeting customers, helping them find what they need and anything that may make what they're looking for better. Then you make sure the lines at the register aren't too long so the customers do not have to wait. You also may get called to work on the sales floor and restock items.
Pros
15% Discount
Cons
short hours
productive and fastpaced workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Latham, NYNovember 29, 2015
Hobby Lobby was a great job. Nice people and positive energy. It was very old fashioned and somethings took longer to do then other places, but very everyone in the store were obedient with company rules, which were a little strict but providing knowledge and training to be best and be responsible. My colleagues were good teachers and enjoyable to work with. There was always something that needed to get done or a customer who needed help, a great fast paced job.
Pros
nice people
Cons
unorganized scheduling between all coworkers
Good company
Retail Sales Clerk-PT (Former Employee) –  Phillipsburg, NJNovember 25, 2015
They care about employee family life outside of work. It's retail, but not having ridiculous hours at holiday times leaving plenty of time with family.
Pros
Off holidays and no rediculous hours
Cons
Weekend hours
A decent place to work if you like Home Decor
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 23, 2015
Long hours during the busy seasonal rush. Rest of the year was very slow and tedious. Managers required to close at least 2 night a week, or more depending on the chance of Corporate company coming by, then everyone had to work extra.
Pros
Bonus Potential
Cons
Healthcare
Do Not Apply Here
cashier/restocker (Former Employee) –  Baytown, TXNovember 19, 2015
The co workers and management are extremely rude, I couldn't even get help unloading shipments because they were so anti social and stuck up.
Pros
discounts
Cons
bad environment
Fun Place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXNovember 18, 2015
Great first job coming straight out of high school, but its not where i see myself in five years time. One of the perks is all the great deals you get and the friendships i made!
A day in a job
Bookkeeper, Cust Svc Mgr (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CONovember 17, 2015
During the majority of my employment with Hobby Lobby, I found the corporate policies very good.
Unfortunately, management plays a huge part in the willingness and abilities of any employee.
It's difficult to review a company, when things are not consistent within each individual store. Not all managers adhere to corporate policies of the mission statements of the company
Pros
Good pay and benefits, especially for retail
Cons
A job location is only as good as it's managers
Overall working at Hobby Lobby was fun and interesting. They were a great company, but employees did need more breaks during a 12 hr shift.
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Palestine, TXNovember 13, 2015
A typical day at work was from 5 - 12 hrs. Management followed the SAME scheduled every week and put the SAME people down to order and stock. It would have helped the other employees to have been scheduled to order and stock so they would have had MORE experience through Hobby Lobby to order and stock so they may have been kept when lay-offs began.
Co-workers seemed to know if they were going to be kept and would whisper behind others' backs when nothing needed said. Also rules were broken by those same employees by keeping stuff back to purchase when they were ready to get off for the day.
Pros
The job was very enjoyable and profitable. I loved being able to help all the customers.
Cons
8-12 hours with maybe 30 minutes being able to sit was way to long.