Hobby Lobby Employee Reviews

Found 1,446 reviews matching the search
great hours great pay
Office Manager/Bookkeeper (Current Employee) –  Columbus, INJanuary 29, 2017
The first few hours of my day would be in my office doing clerical work. The rest of my day would be on the floor helping customers, ordering a department, putting away freight, setting new product sets or helping team members and management with any administrative needs (fax, email, contact with corporate, making signs, some hr, etc). I have learned excellent customer service skills, bookkeeping skills and how to be a part of a team.
Pros
great pay great hours
Cons
unorganized management
retail
Department Head (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXJanuary 29, 2017
Always busy doing things, management tries to always have you being productive which is very easy to do as things are always changing. Friendly workers. Hardest part of the job is trying to get everything done that the company wants done and also having to help the customers, they don't always give you enough time to do both.
Pros
good pay, and benifits
Cons
short lunch, management always changing
Great pay and fun for crafters, with high expectations and uncertain scheduling.
Department Head (Former Employee) –  Multiple LocationsJanuary 28, 2017
After working for this company for approximately 5 years in seasonal, part-time, and full-time positions and being in nearly every department at one time or another, I feel that I have a pretty thorough experience in nearly every aspect of expectations and benefits of employment with this company.

For anyone with experience or even a passing interest in floral, art, crafts, sewing, framing, or home decor, this is a very enjoyable company to work for and assisting customers in your department can be a very rewarding experience for great pay. Having customers ask me for advice painting or framing projects have been some of my best experiences with the company, and knowing the products and how they're used also allowed me to make recommendations that earned additional profit for the company when the customer wouldn't have chosen those items otherwise.

While that aspect of the job is great, it must also be said that overall work experience varies greatly depending on the location you're working and the management there. Number of employees varies greatly depending on the sales at each location, and stores with fewer employees tend to have higher expectations and stress, with employees often expected to work multiple areas at a time to keep the store running smoothly. The scheduling can be another stressful element, as the days and hours (e.i. morning or evening shift) change every week, making it a bit difficult to balance work and personal life.
Pros
Good job for crafters and framers, great pay compared to similiar jobs.
Cons
Constant schedule changes, experience greatly varied by location management.
Steady hours and Advancement
Order Puller (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 28, 2017
Steady hours per work week. Plenty of room for advancement within the company. Benefits and pay are competitive to others in same field.
Pros
Steady Work
Cons
Long Hours
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Morgan Hill, CAJanuary 28, 2017
Hobby Lobby was the best place to work. I always left all my "troubles" at home, and came in with a smiling face. My regular customers noticed and asked me how I could be so happy all the time. I just answered I love my job. And I did.
Pros
When a employee left, there was always a buffet style lunch. And once a year, Management would provide a catered lunch.
Great Company Very Poor Local Management
Front End Worker (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYJanuary 27, 2017
Hobby Lobby is a great company and promotes a good work environment through guidelines and training. The lack of a sku system will make some things easier and other things harder than what you find in other retail locations. Cashiering is stressful with everything entered manually, but the company makes up for it with a high hourly pay rate ($10 minimum). Interacting with customers is usually low-stress and enjoyable, as the primary shoppers are mothers and grandparents. Advancement within the company is possible too, I was offered a full time position after working there a year.

The one area they are very much lacking in is proper management accountability. The Cheyenne WY location has a high resignation rate (with only the hardiest or desperate staying). Hobby Lobby doesn't make it clear who employees are suppose to call when their management is abusive to them. And should you find out who to call, or should customers complain on your behalf, the management is likely to just get a "slap on the wrist". No matter how many times they yell at you in front of customers, disrespect customers themselves, or humiliate you in the staff meetings, they won't be fired or replaced.

So, if you've got good management at a particular location, expect a great experience. You'll find your coworkers are fun to work with and the job enjoyable. I would say that's the norm for most Hobby Lobbies. But if you've got bad management, don't bother staying. Regional managers will allow the abusive behavior to continue, so "sticking it out" is pointless.
Pros
good starting pay, good customer base, good workplace, good training
Cons
poor management accountability
Wonderful people
Certified Framer - Part time (Current Employee) –  Wausau, WIJanuary 26, 2017
Wonderful people...little room for advancement. Family orientated and work well together.
Customers are generally happy as a pleasant place to work.
I loved it there.
Seasonal Cashier worker (Former Employee) –  Tupelo, MSJanuary 26, 2017
A typical work day was usually fast paced due to the popular store. I learned that I am able to pick up on things fast and that I am really good at counting change. The workplace culture is based on Christianity and that is one of the things that I loved at Hobby Lobby. The hardest part of the job was explaining the discounts to the customers. The most enjoyable part was meeting so many people.
A very productive place to work, fun, and exciting.
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Chula Vista, CA 91910January 26, 2017
I would welcome the customers when entering the store. Help customers with the purchases. Stock the shelves with the products and answer any questions that the customers have. The hardest part of the job was lifting some of the merchandise into the shopping cart. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping the customers decide what to purchase for their projects, also working with the other employees.
Pros
Bonuses
Cons
No health insurance coverage
A great place to work
Cahier/Framer (Current Employee) –  Bridgeton, MOJanuary 26, 2017
I enjoy working at Hobby Lobby. The environment is ideal and great. This job does include frequent interaction with customers.
fun
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 25, 2017
Great work environment. Good staff. Great learning environment. Learned most of my stocking experience here. Order pulling was kind of hard but eventually learned the ropes.
Wonderful employees
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Russellville, ARJanuary 24, 2017
The employees at the Russellville Hobby Lobby are more like family than coworkers, the store-level management included. However, rules are subject to change on a whim from the corporate offices. The hardest part of the job would have to be the customer service. Agitated customers assume they will receive special benefits just for shopping in the store, and are sometimes rude and vulgar. The store management does not tolerate this, and will step in on the employees' behalf when such instances occur.
Amazing job with awesome people
Head Stockman (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXJanuary 24, 2017
I enjoyed everything at my time at hobby lobby, I do not have one bad thing to say about them.

I will continue to recommend all of my friends to apply a their closest hobby lobby
Pros
great hourly pay, PTO, 401k
Cons
N/A
They won't have excuse any family problems
Receiver (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 24, 2017
If you have any family or emergency problems come up and don't have any personal time accumulated it counts against you. If a relative dies that isn't father, mother, sister, brother it will count against you. You can only have 6 unexcused abscenses a year. Very strict
Pros
Decent money
Cons
Management, hours, no life
a good place to make a living at.
HOBBY LOBBY DISTUBUTION CENTER (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 23, 2017
good working invirement a good job to have for years to come.it is a place to go as high as would like to or with hard work and determination make a prety nice living financialy
Pros
advancement/payraise
Cons
insurance
I enjoy working with different people
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Distribution WarehouseJanuary 21, 2017
From January to mid June you don't get enough hours, that really hurts,Most employees have to get a part time job to make ends meet!
Cons
You never know what time you are getting off!
Managers have no respect
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNJanuary 20, 2017
Managers treat employees like they are completely replaceable, and not needed. Have no respect or flexibility options for life events. Bad personal relations with employees.
managment was awful
Customer Services/ Sales (Former Employee) –  Sandy, UTJanuary 20, 2017
they dont care about there employees. they yell at you in front of customers and other employees. learned that working for hobby lobby was awful and they treated you awful as well.
Lot of work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 19, 2017
This job deals with a lot of work, but it is a great environment to be in. Coworkers are amazing and you work as a team. The first few weeks are challenging because it is all very new.
Limited time off and keep your pull time up!
Trainer and Order Pulling (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 19, 2017
Nothing is more important at this place than how fast you can move! Keep your pull times up and absents are extremely limited!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hobby Lobby. Our community is ready to answer.