Hobby Lobby Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,070 reviews matching the search
Great company to work for, despite occasional problems
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Lake Worth, TXMay 3, 2016
Hobby Lobby is a good company to work for; the Green family shows a clear desire to take care of their employees, though that desire is blurred through each level of management that it goes through. Each level manager or supervisor (regional, district, store, co-manager, etc.) has a different opinion about how things should be done and have their own take on policies, which can sometimes leave things about the policies to be lost in translation. The wages are competitive, but the hours are based on how well the store is doing on its budget; therefore, if the store is not getting the sales it's supposed to be getting, the workers simply won't get the amount of hours they are supposed to. The customers are generally well-mannered and polite, but do get frustrated about the lack of clarity about items that are currently on sale, usually because of the company's confusing use of signage.
Pros
Competitive wages, decent benefits for full time employees, PPTO and rewards for excessive PPTO gathered
Cons
Irregular break times for cashiers, lack of clarity in policies, problems with customers based on confusing ad signage
not a good place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Taylor, MIMarch 8, 2016
the pay and having Sundays off were the only good things about working for the company. Management wasn't good especially since i was a seasonal employee I wasn't treated fairly.
Great pay and benefits/ poor management
Lead Framer (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSJuly 19, 2016
Hobby Lobby can be a great place to work. As a company they take good care of their employees. The hardest part of the job was dealing with members of the management team. They often use negative reinforcement tactics which creates a rift between them and their employees. Overall I have high praise for Hobby Lobby. If your lucky enough to work under a manager you like...you may just find yourself loving your job!
Pros
Pay
Cons
Over worked and under paid.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Rosenberg, TXJune 24, 2016
With a tight hold on payroll and lots of work to be done many times you find yourself doing twice amount of work in half the time. I imagine with different management things would be better but with the current manager things are difficult. It is nice working for a Christian company but there needs to be a bit of reform. Would give 5 stars with change in operations.
Pros
Off on Sundays, Flexable schedule.
Cons
No benifits for part-time, Not enough hours.
Good job.
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Gladstone, MOApril 16, 2016
Hobby lobby is a pretty good job. For as long as i've been there, under a year, everyone actually really likes it. Be prepared to work your butt off, though, because they do and they will. The cooperation gives you a lot of opportunities in and outside of work. A day at work is more times than not, fairly busy. If you work the front registers, you will be there all day. Hardest part of the job i would say is truck day. They have a rule, "no one leaves until freight it put away" Its stressful, but it always gets done.
Nice people. average management
Stockman/ Frame Shop Assoc. (Current Employee) –  Hoover, ALMarch 4, 2016
Nice place to work, they just have communication problems when it comes to certain tasks. New management is working out well so far, and I think that was the biggest issue.
Productive, fast paced work place
part- time cashier (Current Employee) –  NHJuly 21, 2016
A typical day at work is fast paced running around, resetting different departments into different ways. I enjoy helping customers to the best of my abilities and making sure the customers go home with a big smile on there face and want to enjoy coming back. I enjoy trying to come up with the ideas that the customers aren't really sure what they are looking for, I can be very good at this part of my job.
its a good job if you like WORK
Hobby Lobby putter (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 29, 2016
Hobby lobby is a very good job but you have to want to work ,Alot of the people i have trained come in and stay for about a week just enough to know thew job and then they quit... It is hard work but it pays really well i just got 30 hours of over time on this check i got But like i said you have to like to work . I work almost 6 days a week i am so tired when i get home and my body hurts but it pays all the bills then some so ...
Fast paced job environment.
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Merrillville, INMarch 25, 2015
Working at Hobby Lobby has taught me several valuable skills, such as strong customer service and office management skills. I have learned to be much more confident when helping and serving customers. I have also been exposed to many customer personality types, and therefore have gained an insight on how to handle certain customers in a delicate manner. Expectations of individual employees are high and leave no room for slacking or fun. Unfortunately, team-work is practically does not exist here, in fact the majority of the time management frowns upon helping a fellow employee. Sadly this current position leaves no room for growth, management, or better career opportunities.
Pros
Great medical benefits, great pay, always guaranteed Sunday and Christmas off.
Cons
not guaranteed 40 hours, inconsistent work schedule, work almost every Saturday and holiday, plus several evenings
Horrible Manager
Custom Framer/ Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Salina, KSOctober 22, 2015
Happiness with this company depends on the managers in charge!
My store manager was extremely rude and closed minded to the female employees. Could literally go an eight hour shift without so much of a hello. Spent more time in his office, than on the floor helping associates (or customers); but was always quick to jump on the "why wasn't this done" wagon.
I enjoyed the job itself and working with customers; but it became impossible to feel good about walking into a store where you were constantly belittled.
Pros
good hourly pay if you can get fulltime
Cons
inconsistent schedule, rude management
Christian Environment with Great Management Faculty
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXJanuary 21, 2016
I enjoyed working for Hobby Lobby. Hobby Lobby combined my love for customer service and people, with a Godly, Christian, and family friendly environment. From this job I learned how to enjoy everyday work. They played uplifting music which I often knew by heart. And my co-workers were all friendly and upbeat. It made for an awesome working environment. The owner actually started the company in his garage. God blessed and the business thrived. The hardest part of this job was truck day. Truck was an all day thing. But my favorite part had to be the seasonal preparation of preparing for Christmas.
Pros
Play Christian music all day
Cons
No one leaves until truck is done, and it takes all day
It was a good place to work
Warehouse Puller (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 22, 2016
Never make friends with team leads nor management they will turn on you, I've learned my lesson about treating people like that kindness because they will take it for weakness
Pros
Good pay, alot of over time
Cons
team leaders & management
Not a welcoming place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSJuly 12, 2016
Management was very rude. Needs ALOT of work. Didn't make you feel wanted. And definitely not the pay they say it was going to be when they hire you in. Yeah its nice to have Sundays off but when you don't feel wanted and also when you don't feel like your family matters when it critical. You just leave.
Pros
Great co-workers, Pretty stuff to look at
Cons
Bad Management, Bad Commitment
Excellent Work Culture
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dalton, GAMay 16, 2016
I only worked at Hobby Lobby for a short amount of time as I was a seasonal employee, but it was one of the better places I have worked for.

Everyone who worked at Hobby Lobby was friendly and fair. We all worked together instead of simply working with each other. The management where very democratic, and where leaders instead of simply being managers.

A typical day of work involved arriving at the store and being instructed into what that days "big task" was. Usually this involved rearrangement of the shelves; however, this also could involve constructing furniture, or working in the storeroom. Throughout the day I would be tasked with maintaining my work area by sweeping.

I would also help fellow employees with their tasks by providing minor things such as sweeping, loading, lifting, or organizing. I would also help customers select their purchases, however, most customers needed little help as they generally knew what they already wanted. My day would finally end with everyone coming together to clean the store for the next day.
Pros
Full time benefits are excellent, longer lunch break, customers tend to be more friendly then most retail stores.
Cons
Frequent messes in craft section, heavy inventory, can be difficult obtaining full time status.
Love this company!
New Store Setup/Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, NCMarch 3, 2016
New store, well laid out. Management cares about their people. Customer are nice. Store was well cleaned every night. Good pay.
Comes With a Fun and Friendly Enviroment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXMarch 21, 2016
I love Hobby Lobby and although I will never agree to be a cashier again it has nothing to do with the company itself.

Working at Hobby Lobby you do tend to get lost and a little overwhelmed when trying to put items back on the floor but other than that it's a good place to work at.
Pros
get discounts and you figure out what will be on sale
Cons
the sales on items alternate each week and can be difficult to keep up with
acceptable
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARNovember 4, 2015
A good place to start but little to no structured advancement. Management also lacks effective communication method with employees.
Working for Hobby Lobby
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mount, NCJanuary 18, 2016
Its a good job for high school students but not for moms. The management was awful. I didn't enjoy going to work. They told me I would get full time but they never gave it to me. They put me in the frame shop and the lead would not teach me the right way.
Great customer service expected and provided
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Tupelo, MSApril 20, 2016
memorizing sales and location of products, informing customers of sales, checking out customer merchandise
I learned how to better help customers with their wants and needs.
Hardest: hard time getting time off when needed
Enjoyable: helping customers with projects and questions
Pros
celebrating birthdays, benefits offered, good pay
Cons
30min lunch, work schedules vary on weekly basis
Mission Statement is a true reflection of the company
Co-Manager (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove, CASeptember 3, 2015
Hobby Lobby is a great company. Certain districts have opportunity with their upper management. They have a solid foundation and they are truly a great company to work for.
Pros
Great compensation and benefits