Hofstra University Employee Reviews in United States

Taken Advantage of by Managers
Resident Safety Representative (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYMarch 30, 2016
Was continually promised the opportunity to move up and be promoted for my consistent hard work and dedication all while balancing school and extra-curricular activities. Never fulfilled. My family was cursed out by a manager because they visited the restaurant during my shift and wanted to say hello. The hardest part of the job was being consistently lied to and taken advantage of.

I was part of a Class Action suit against the corporation as a whole because they were stealing money from their lowest paid workers. Only making $2.16 an hour, we took home much less than that because the fat cat CEO wants to take money out of the pockets of students trying to pay off their student loans so they can afford their 9th summer home in Cabo.

Federal law requires a 30 min break after 6 hours of work and an hour break after 8 hours. I worked 12 hour shifts consistently and never once was given a break.
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
Lied to, Taken advantage of, Underpaid, Overworked, Never compensated.
A school that gives back as much as you funnel into it.
Student Aide, Hofstra Honors College (Current Employee) –  Hempstead, NYMarch 19, 2016
Working at Hofstra has been a great experience in terms of broadening my horizons at my school. Especially in Honors College, students are inspirational in their aspirations and their follow-through, making me realize higher dreams of my own.
A simple job that counted as a work study
Residential Safety Representative (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYMarch 1, 2016
-Shifts consisted of keeping track of visitors in dormitories
-Was able to study and complete homework while I worked
-The job was considered a work study
-Since entrances to dorms had to be supervised at all times, I was sometimes given late night shifts (12am - 8am)
Pros
Could study during shifts
Cons
Job sometimes require late night shifts
Productive and enjoyable workplace.
Help Desk Technician (Current Employee) –  Hempstead, NYFebruary 17, 2016
I am able to get work for class done while I work and the management is very lenient as long as you do as you're told properly. I also made connections with various administrators and officials who have helped me decide that I would like to continue working in a university setting.
Productive and fun workplace
Photography Lab Aide (Current Employee) –  Hempstead, NYFebruary 15, 2016
I have great coworkers and my bosses are always considerate and helpful. I always look forward to going to work here.

After I clock in, I head downstairs and check the chemicals to maintain fresh materials for students.
I also help professors in class and help students when needed.
Pros
Access to the Photography Darkroom lab at any time
Cons
No cell service
Great Place
Associate Athletic Director of Development (Current Employee) –  Hempstead, NYJanuary 26, 2016
Great place to work and great environment. Worked hard and was compensated for my hard work. It was a difficult decision to leave but I relocated to NC with my family.
Administrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYJanuary 5, 2016
*High demand work environment, which taught me how to think on my feet and be called upon at a moment's notice
*Enjoyed working with fellow colleague's on Audit projects
*Wonderful University to work for
Pros
Time off and managment is great
Cons
High Demanding, High Stress Work Environment
Good position for learn
Teacher Assistant, English Language Program (Former Employee) –  Teacher AssistanceOctober 11, 2015
Communicate with students in class and assist professor manage the class.
It is a good position for me to learn how communicate with others and what should do if someone unwilling to coorporate.
I worked under a contract so I didn't have any benefits but would consider working there as F/T
Administrative Assistant - Contract (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYSeptember 13, 2015
Great University to work for, I worked for the Dean for the continuing education departments section. I was only there for a few months under a contract but am applying for full time now. I enjoyed working here, the people were great to work with. The hardest part of this job was knowing my way around the building.
Pros
Education
Cons
No Health Insurance because worked under contract
Productive, group work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NY 11549August 25, 2015
You and your partner take turns typing in research data conducted by the graduate students. Basically, you are assisting graduate students in their research studies. It's good, especially when you want to become familiar with a certain computer program like Microsoft Excel.
Excellent Work Atmosphere
Purchasing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYAugust 24, 2015
Hofstra University is a fun place to work with good benefits. However, once employed there is very little room for advancement.
Productive, Engagment with people, Happy place, Peaceful
Call With Pride Call Center Caller (Former Employee) –  Hempstead,NYAugust 19, 2015
After we clock in the managers would give us a stack of papers with Hofstra Alumni contact information. My job was to call those in my stack and persuade them to donate money to the university. I learned to engage more with people. I learned to use things I have in common with people to persuade them to donate. My co-workers were great they were supportive and they were fun to be around. The hardest part of the job was dealing with rude Alumni over the phone. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting money to upgrade the university.
Productive workplace, allowed to study, positive environment
Student Library Associate (Former Employee) –  Uniondale, NYAugust 16, 2015
Simple tasks, continuous training, freedom to study on shifts. Great coworkers convenience of location. Ability to learn useful computer, inventory, technical skills.
Cons
Pay
The foundation of my career
Academic Technology Integration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYJune 17, 2015
Its a great place to work if raising a family, co-workers are amazing and really assist and guide you on meeting the department goals.
Office Assistant/ Tutor
English Language Tutor (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYJune 8, 2015
An office assistant copies documents, makes deliveries, and provides the professors with whatever they need. Positive working environment. An English Language tutor helps foreign exchange students with their reading, writing and oral English skills.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
Multicultural school for graduate studies
Volunteer ESL Tutor (Current Employee) –  Hempstead, NYMay 21, 2015
Good school although very over-priced. It gives the students the various opportunities to work on campus. Mostly, the core course professors are very supportive.
Great Radio,Television and Film
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Hempstead, NYMarch 19, 2015
The professors are very helpful and knowledgeable. The students are very talented and eager to learn. Hofstra does a great job in trying to keep up with recent technology. The Herbert School of Communication is one of the better facilities and setup I have seen.
If you want the security, it's here
Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYMarch 15, 2015
This is pretty boring work, and I would suggest you to work here if you want to earn big bucks. Of course, it's laid back.

There is not much stuff you need to do everything.
The only perk will draw your attention probably is the tuition reimbursement. That being said, it will cost you couple hundred in stead of thousand dollars to take a class at Hofstra.
Productive and Fast Paced
Human Resources Administrator (Current Employee) –  Hempstead, NYMarch 11, 2015
A typical day for me includes, payroll processing (salary increase, pay deduction, medical leave, general leave, special leave), creating appointment letters, and other personnel letters. I also have to pull reports from different programs to complete some task.
I have learn to be flexible and open, all situations are different. I enjoy my co-workers and they are comfortable approaching me with questions. I enjoy that my duties are diverse.
Productive and fun work place with an excellent clinical team.
Student Counselor (Current Employee) –  Hempstead, NYFebruary 25, 2015
As a counselor, my schedule varied widely every day. First thing in the morning at work I checked my e-mails to update myself about any new changes, information and instructions from my supervisor. For example if there were any changes in topic for the day for group session, if any client was absent, if there were any new admissions that I needed to take care of and so forth. I spent the majority of my week in session with my clients. These were one-on-one counseling sessions and multiple group sessions. I also spent a few hours every day in training, observing, and performing office work.

By conducting individual and group sessions I have learned to deal with new situations and/or crisis patiently. I maintained excellent relationship with my supervisor, co-workers, management team and clinical team.
The hardest part of my job was dealing with sudden changes. For example, changing the group discussion or psycho-ed topic 10 munities before running the group.

The enjoyable part of my work was when I saw improvement in my clients and in addition I have always enjoyed working with my clinical team.

4.2