Hofstra University Employee Reviews

Good place to start but not stay
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Enrollment ManagementMay 21, 2017
Most people get their degree and leave after a few years. Anyone who stays beyond that is very unhappy. Little chance for advancement, overworked, low compensation, terrible management.
Pros
Vacation time
Cons
Compensation, Advancement, Management
A good university for student growth
Intern for Forensic Linguistics (Current Employee) –  Hempstead, NYMay 16, 2017
Worked here as a student. The university gave me plenty of opportunities to advance my academic career and my professional career prospects. As a lifeguard, the athletics department could raise the hourly wage since many of the students come from out of state and must acquire Nassau county certification to work at the pool
Great University; Great Summer Program
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYMay 15, 2017
REACH Program is a beautiful program for campers with developmental disabilities. It was a great learning experience for me because I want to work with children in the field of applied behavioral analysis. This volunteering program was a start in helping me understand people's individual needs and that all people are differently abled. The campers and the staff were diverse and creative in activities on campus and it was overall a great learning experience. The most enjoyable part would be spending day to day activities with a camper who taught me about themselves and how they live. We can all learn from one another and that is why I appreciate the REACH Program and all that they do.
Pros
Wonderful staff, Wonderful hours
Great Benefits
Asst. Provost for Budget and Planning (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYMay 15, 2017
School has great benefits and the workplace culture is well balanced. Employees are hard working. Campus is in great location on Long Island close to the city and shops.
Benefits
Cons
Not a lot of room for Advancement
Easy going work hours
Lifeguard Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hempstead, NYMay 2, 2017
You sit for 40 minutes and then have an hour off. With barely anything asked of you to do while on the job, you sure do get a lot of your homework done, if you're a student. If not, make sure to bring thing's to do, or work out during breaks.
Need a Certification
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYApril 25, 2017
This job is great! Make sure you have a certification. The pay is great and overtime is an option. The environment is welcoming and friendly and the work is relaxing.
Good
Resident Safety Representative (Current Employee) –  Hempstead, NYApril 6, 2017
Pretty easy job. The pay is good for what you are doing. However the employers can be unorganized. They will often make mistakes that will get the employee in trouble instead of taking responsibilty.
GReat place to work
Adjunct Assistant Professor Library Services (Current Employee) –  Hempstead, NYApril 4, 2017
I enjoy reference work at two different libraries,the main library and the educational library.
Students are great to work with.
I work with undergrad and graduate students.
Pros
Independent working conditions
Cons
work weekends
Good time management
Student Aide (Current Employee) –  Hofstra Univ, NYApril 3, 2017
Learned clerical duties such as paperwork filing. Mail filing and did multiple important errands. I was only a student aide so it was part time and I don't make a lot of money. This job does give me time to work on schoolwork since I am a college student.
Pros
Time to work on school work
Cons
Sent on errands that took a long time and I have mobility issues. Knee problems etc.
Fun workplace for RSR
RSR (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYMarch 8, 2017
I was working on RSR for 3 months. I did not make any mistake when Im doing the job. RSR is the good way to build resume, and you can acquire some kind of working experiences. but the salary was too low and the not convenient when you want to go bathroom.
Pros
build resume
Cons
short break. low salary
Fun Workplace
Undergraduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYFebruary 21, 2017
Hofstra University is a wonderful place to work. Colleges become like family. Team work is encourages allowing employees to produce and work better.
Very Nice Working Environment
Social Media Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hempstead, NYFebruary 6, 2017
The working experience there is very good! Everyone is helping each and my boss is the best. I learned a lot about PR and social media there, they are willing to help you and don't be afraid to ask.
Fixed and sorted equipment
Video Equipment Room Clerk (Former Employee) –  Uniondale, NYJanuary 19, 2017
Video equipment came in, we fixed what we needed to, and sorted away until it was needed again. It was chaotic at time because so many people worked there and had weird hours.
Working with kids an being able to help them become better young adults
Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYJanuary 19, 2017
The best thing about Hofstra is being able have better socials skills with others including the kids. I learned that everybody is different an that is ok. I had the best bosses, they were very understanding . I was able to do arts &craft , be a swim instructor and also recreational counselor. the most enjoyable part was everything.
Pros
free lunch an amazing staff
Cons
nothing
Very fun
Student Aide (Current Employee) –  Hempstead, NYJanuary 3, 2017
Fun work environment and the people are very easy to get along with. I highly recommend working at this establishment. Everyone works well together
Nice place to work
Student Aid (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYSeptember 23, 2016
Nice people and over all a good place to work. Every one was very nice and treated me very nicely. Most of the work was very basic office work. It was alot of fileing
Team like atmosphere
Director of Ticket Sales, Athletic Department (Current Employee) –  Hempstead, NYAugust 31, 2016
Department works together to gets tasks done. Ticket sales, Marketing and Facilities work as one. Great place to work.
Pros
Summers are very laid back
Cons
work weekends and long hours
I presently work in a great department
Senior Executive Secretary (Current Employee) –  Hempstead, NYAugust 21, 2016
I look forward to work. I work in a friendly atmosphere while giving many opportunities to learn and grow. The benefits are phenomenal and longevity is contagious here. I have put myself through school and achieved both my BA and my MSED here at Hofstra. My co-workers are wonderful, mature people who are a pleasure to work with. The hardest part of the job is getting some senior workers to agree on an easier/more efficient way of doing something they have done for years. The most enjoyable part of the job is being successful and being appreciated for it.
Pros
great benefits, beautiful campus, great department
Cons
not very family friendly ex: no annual family picnic or events
Heaven Sent Job
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Uniondale, NYAugust 18, 2016
I attended the camp for a number of year and then and being 1 of the 2 people chosen in the counselor apprentice program was such a great feeling. Loved being able to make my rec group happy, my fellow rec counselors happy and my bosses happy too.
Pros
Free Breakfast, Free Lunch, Rec Time
Strict but lenient and friendly environment.
Caller (Current Employee) –  Hempstead, NYAugust 16, 2016
A typical day at work involves sitting with friends and getting to chat between phone calls. Phone calls insist of following a script that politely asks alumni and others if they'd like to donate to the school. We write down what their answer is and move on to the next caller. Management is led by a masters student from Hofstra who is working full-time in Hofstra Hall while putting us under her wing, and has managers who are undergrad students ranging from juniors to seniors. Co-workers are simply undergrad students (and my friends) who heard about the job the same way I did and are doing this as their federal work-study. The hardest part of the job is maintaining the politeness after people get rude and upset when you ask nicely if they'd like to donate to their alma mater. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to have flexibility and know that as long as you let the manager know ahead of time, you're allowed to miss one or two shifts. Also, being around your friends or fellow classmates really allows you the opportunity to befriend people in your school so when you're outside of work, you can hang out with them and talk about school things.
Pros
flexibility, half hour breaks, short shifts, friends

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hofstra University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3