Holiday Retirement Employee Reviews in United States

Great company
Sales Leader (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 12, 2016
great co workers, I love helping people, lots to do, my day goes by fast. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping families and providing solutions to their problems.
Don't put your family here
Manager (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, FLJuly 12, 2016
Worked as a ' Manager' for a short period of less than 3 months. Never have I seen such disregard and poor care give to seniors. Building is filthy, roach filled and staff could care less. Management was a total circus nothing was accomplished while I was there. Morning meetings forget it was a total waste of time. Nothing got done.
Pros
Residents
Cons
Low salary, poor treatment of seniors
it was a good place to work
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  30 sayles hill road Manville RIJune 29, 2016
It was great when I fist started an as months an years went by it started to go down hill..no one worked as a team the nurses didn't care an the big staff didn't care any more either it became all about the money an not the residents
Pros
Cons
we got half an hour breaks sometimes
Enjoyed the residents.
Manager (Former Employee) –  TexasJune 28, 2016
You can forget your personal life. You live at the community and on call all the time.
Pay is below average for the time you spend putting out fires and the regional always harping on census.
A great place for couples who have no life.
Managed several different buildings for Holiday and no matter what building I was in it was always about PRDs and milking the resident every year for cost of living.
Pros
No children, no home, no life, a great place to spend time.
Cons
Everything.
Poor company all about money in their pockets
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAJune 24, 2016
The worst place I've ever worked in my life there's no way a sous chef can be able to do the things that he needs to do in a 8 hour time frame the company is cheap the regional Chef is uneducated and dumb lackluster of experience unable to teach and create and develop this Corporation should evaluate what they do they are so far behind in time it's all about money in their pocket not money in the people that create the money for them the residence the residence is probably the best part of the day all I can say about the one I worked at Great management team the co-managers all snakes as well as the Regional chef will miss the residence but my happiness comes first the company is going to be okay with the without me I would do better without it
Pros
The residence
Cons
Lies unable to develop backstabbing
Worst company to work for
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAJune 24, 2016
They have had a new holiday 3.0 re structure and it is worst than ever! The new ceo knows nothing about the buisness,nor does the culinary directors for the regions ! Too much pencil pushing and no time for cooking! Chef has to cover all shifts if they call in! Live in managers micro manage the chef, and they no nothing about the kitchen! The harp about cooking from scratch, but make you buy frozen soups and bread! Been using the same menu for a year! This company is terrible
Pros
Cons
All favors of this company are a con
AWFUL company
PROPERTY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXJune 22, 2016
You are salaried. And, on call 4 nights a week. During this time, you CANNOT leave the facility for any reason. So, essentially, for $35K a year, you work over 100 hours a week. Now, they value the apartment they give you and food at about $3000 a month. These communities are very old and out dated. The food is close to fast food.
As a manager, once you get to your community, the firs thing they tell you is that your job is ACTUALLY sales. You don't know this until you have relocated to the community. Fair?? Definitely NOT. Not only are you the manager of over 100 residents, the boss of a staff of at least 25 AND need to take care of EVERYTHING needed to maintain the community, but you need to make 100 cold calls a day to bring in more residents.
Pros
None. Managers leave after a few months tops.
Cons
Everything about this position. NO upward movement.
Marketing
SALES LEADER (Current Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARJune 14, 2016
My typical day at work starts with a friendly call from our RSL. I truly enjoy my job. I have enjoyed working for Holiday Retirement and would stay if a position was available in the location I prefer.
The hardest part of my job is the loss of a resident. I grow very close to my residents. They are family.
Pros
people, great pay, great job, travel program
Cons
loss of residents.
Good company, great people but would love to be closer to home.
Maintenance Director (Current Employee) –  Branford, CTJune 8, 2016
Good in general, Holiday has a system in place that has both a married couple as manager. This position was not been in place for approximately 8 months until recently but I do work very well and respect the current choice. Working closer to home is more important these days after my wife's recent masters degree and upgrade in employment. I am also very dependable
great company
Regional Director of Maintenance (Former Employee) –  sothwest regionJune 8, 2016
great company if you are very driven. Too great of a gap exists between home office and field employees. chaotic traveling schedule makes planning difficult.
Pros
working hard pays off
Cons
work is about 80% of your life
Could have been best job ever
Manager (Former Employee) –  Southwest regionJune 7, 2016
But, it was likely the worst. Started as co-manager, then manager, then floating manager. Enjoyed so much working with seniors and my co-workers. Upper management, not so much. Job performance evaluation is solely on move-ins, though you are in charge of a staff of 20 plus, a big building, and 100+seniors. Had to cook and serve for 140 seniors for 3 days when my chef couldn't get to work because of snow. Went nearly 3 months without a day off. Management turnover was 60% at 6 months, 200% at one year. I lasted three years, felt appreciated by residents and staff alike, but was constantly made to feel like a failure by upper management who set unrealistic sales goals. My training was superb, and my class of 16 were all quality people . After 2 months, only 4 of us remained with the company. Sad, sad, sad.
Pros
Seniors! Free meals! Apartment!
Cons
Crummy pay, few days off, on call 24 hours a day.
Good employer
Enrichment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 7, 2016
Pay is pretty decent. They offer good benefits out the gate; several perks working here. I would recommend to others. I also liked the management and residents were a blast to work with. Lots of laughs here.
Busy all day
Live-In Manager (Current Employee) –  Clovis, CAJune 6, 2016
A typical day at a Holiday Retirement Community is wearing many different hats. Overseeing operations, marketing, sales, kitchen, housekeeping and activities is a daily event.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
On Call - Live at community
good sales starter
Staff Development/Patient Placement Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Yakima, WAJune 3, 2016
I would work there again if I was looking for other work at the time. Be prepared for long hours and constant grind to perform beyond reasonable expectations. Managers work at least 80 hours a week and the average tenure for a Sales Leader is 6 months
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Upper management is disconected from the day to day
Nice place to work. I enjoyed talking with the residents.
cook/sous chef (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLMay 31, 2016
Busy day at work, no prep cooks. Responsible for prepping, cooking & plating for up to 90 residents by myself. Management were ok, knew zero about kitchen.
Serving seniors is a great experience
Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 28, 2016
Serving seniors having a safe place for them to live filled with activities to enjoy their retirement years.
The hardest part is when a resident passes away
Pros
living on site
Cons
being on call 24/7
This is more of a relief cook with a lot more duties..........
Chef (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 20, 2016
This company is many years behind the rest. They need to give these residents what they actually pay for, not just table scrapes. Its a shame. I once thought that there was potential for this company, but they seem to be moving even more backwards. THIS IS NOT an executive chef position, this more a relief cook with a lot more duties, a lot more.....
Pros
Steady job if you can hold on....
Cons
Constant staffing issues, no support from managers, constant complaining/criticism, lack of talented help, low wages for all employees, which in return you get what you pay for...........
No Free Time
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Lake Oswego, ORMay 17, 2016
Work too many hours (70) to complete weekly job tasks. Management does not appreciate employees.

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Great Starting Job
Server (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAMay 16, 2016
I have a great opinion of Holiday Retirement, they give high school students a great chance at beginning their lives and start earning money. It's hard work but worth the experience to hopefully move up to a higher paying job with more hours.
Pros
Free food after each shift!
Cons
Few hours
New Leadership - more focused and much higher standards and goals
IL Community Management Team (Current Employee) –  CTMay 15, 2016
I am seeing first hand what should be a complete turnaround of an average Senior Retirement Living group to a group focused on the necessary changes to become a big cut above the competition -

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Holiday Retirement. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8