Holiday Retirement Employee Reviews

great dinning experiance
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMay 26, 2017
Creekside was a great company to work for as the executive chef my job was to make my residents as happy as possible with the food and with the over all dinning experiance
Pros
bennifits
Cons
job security
Very unorganized
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Bettendorf, IowaMay 25, 2017
I don't think this place would have been bad but I only could take two days of it. The work isn't the issue. The staff is. No training and you're thrown into a section to serve at breakfast and lunch. That's the hardest part. New Management and I believe they have good intentions to straighten the place up. The place needs a overhaul on staff. Fire them and start over.
Pros
Free lunch and see residents
Cons
Absolutely no training
Easy
Server (Former Employee) –  Gig Harbor, WAMay 25, 2017
Typical first job. There is room for growth - but you must enjoy being around the elderly. Fun work environment and is an easy job skill wise. Not one to make a career out of though.
Great Place to Work
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington StateMay 22, 2017
I am an Office Manager for a Holiday Community. I started as a receptionist in another community and have since (little less than 4 years) promoted twice. First to EC (enrichment) and then to my current position when the company restructured last year. I have seen a LOT of changes within Holiday. Overall, they are a great company to work for, which is why I stay. The team I work with are wonderful people who truly care for our residents, they are our extended family! That being said, current feelings are that there are too many changes happening too fast. There are new hires being brought in from the hotel industry, these folks are going to have a very hard time surviving in our culture and making Holiday communities feel like the homes they should and not a hotel! I was looking forward to promoting again to an AGM position in the future, but now feel as if the company is no longer promoting from within, but rather hiring new people that don't have a clue... it is frustrating to know there are even more changes coming, but not what they are! I continue to stay with Holiday, I love the people I work with and especially the people I work for, the residents, it's all about them.
As for pay, it is not commensurate with other local competitors. I could certainly make more working somewhere else, but if I hang on and can promote again, management makes a decent wage.
Pros
Great teams within the community to work with. Wonderful residents, very fulfilling job!
Cons
Upper management, constant changes, micro-managing from above.
Wonderful experience working with the elderly
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORMay 21, 2017
Working in Management with a great staff and residents. Getting to hear the residents stories was wonderful. They can be a handful, however they can also be such a pleasure.
Pros
Great to work with the residents
Cons
Lots of Changes
great company
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  TNMay 15, 2017
great company to work for. they really take care of their employees. the residents are awesome and love the activities we get to do with them. great hours and people
The Residents are the best part.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaMay 15, 2017
Holiday Retirement has gone through a total revamp of the company and structure they took long time loyal Management Teams and fired the wife only. They asked all management to move off site and then lowered the salary. The have forgotten about the important people that makes them their money the residents and the managers. Managers were happy they were able to interact with residents, lived on site in an apartment and took emergency calls for residents and their families to be at ease that someone was there for their senior loved one. They changed the company job culture that it was built to serve. Now they have cut the quality and the residents suffer. It is sad.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Terrible Company Culture, don't value long term dedicated employees.
Fantastic Culure
Regional Director (Former Employee) –  Yorktown, VAMay 13, 2017
Great place to work, specially with Seniors. The ability to make their lives better was fantastic. The company was very supportive with extensive support systems
Pros
Direct Reports
Cons
Dealing with the death of your aging customers
Overall good place to work, pleasant residents and associates
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMay 12, 2017
Can be stressful at times dealing so many personalities and situations that are not "normal" that arise. Enjoyed my days most of the time.I understand occupancy is the bottom line however, when a resident is no longer a fit for the community for one reason or another, they need to move out. We do not need to prolong the necessary move to help our occupancy.
Pros
Working with seniors
Cons
Very little support from upper management
Great learning experience
Server (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 12, 2017
Worked with great people and had fun, I also got to learn new things. Enjoyed being able to mingle with the residence and meet some very nice people.
Horrible Work Environment
SALES LEADER (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 12, 2017
When I first started with the company, I was fortunate to have wonderful leadership. Since transferring within the company across the US, I have experienced the complete opposite. They use scare tactics and hold your job over your head even if you are exceeding expectations! They do not pay fairly and create a cut-throat environment focused on profit and not the seniors we serve. HR is a joke and those further down the ladder are expendable.
Cons
Overworked, underpaid, and tired!
I was a server.
Server (Former Employee) –  Port Richey, FLMay 9, 2017
Holiday Retirement was a great starting job. One thing I wasn't too fond of was them constantly changing management. Overall the residents were great and friendly.
Doesn't appreciate corporate knowledge
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Lake Oswego, ORMay 8, 2017
Worked at Holiday for over three years.

They are moving from Lake Oswego, Oregon to Orlando Florida and are making it very clear they don't intend for anyone to move with them. Only 10% of the staff were offered the chance to move, offering to cover little to no moving expenses.They are clearly intending to start fresh in Orlando, hire new personnel and lose the corporate knowledge of the 200+ employees who have dedicated their careers, if not their lives, to Holiday.
Pros
Great colleagues who are passionate about their work
Cons
No appreciation of current employee value
Productive And Pleasant wrorkplace
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 8, 2017
Hardest part of this job is setting tables and just making sure you get everything right in a fashionable manner. The residents are hard sometimes but you will grow to love and appreciate helping take care of other people.
Was nice but then they rolled out the new program
Co manager (Former Employee) –  Middleton, WIMay 6, 2017
Where they used to be the company everyone wanted to emulate, then when they rolled the new program called journey. they were no longer the leader they became just like everyone else
Pros
The residents were nice
Cons
On call 24 hours a day.
Terrible uppermanagment
community management (Former Employee) –  usaMay 4, 2017
Bad decision after bad decision. Absolute train wreck. No clue how daily operations happen in a building. Nothing but numbers with no regards to the wellbeing of staff or residents. Over priced apartments well over market rate value compared to competition.Refusal to upgrade apartments amenities. No regard to in house management. lies after lies.
Pros
Free food and serving seniors
Cons
Terrible upper management. Clueless how to run individual properties we are all just a number
Recent changes have diminished the quality
Co-Manager / Asst. General Manager (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXMay 3, 2017
Recent changes in management structure were necessary to compete in the industry, but were handled poorly. Focus has shifted from providing a safe, gracious home to seniors to making investors happy with the bottom line. The company has stopped promoting from within to bring in fresh talent who have no clue how to do the job. Running a hotel is vastly different from working in a senior community.
Pros
Great Residents. Dedicated staff
Cons
Disconnected Sr. Management
It's a job for those with big hearts and great work ethics
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Yucaipa, CAMay 3, 2017
Nonstop from start to finish. Very personal interaction between residents and management. Hardest part is losing a resident to death or higher care.
Pros
The mass of overall responsibilities.
Cons
The mass of overall responsibilities.
Unnecessary stress
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  CTMay 2, 2017
This job was too stressful and micro managed. Most important is that someone listens to the residents...thats all they want. But who has time when eveyone in the kitchen is running around like chickens with heads cut off. So sad when this place could and should have a compassionate "family away from home" feeling
Pros
Co workers rocked. Residents good people
Cons
Everything else
Not a good place to work
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIMay 2, 2017
Management never wants to help do as i say not as i do, dirty kitchen no support. No work life balance like they say. Executive chef is a glorified cook that has to ware to many jackets at once with no help from management.
Pros
Vacation pay
Cons
Work you to death

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Holiday Retirement. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8