Holland & Knight LLP

Holland & Knight LLP United States Employee Reviews

Excellent Sole Attorney
Senior Legal Secretary (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLNovember 15, 2014
Pros: great boss
I really enjoyed working on a part-time basis on a contract basis. I learned all aspects of estate planning.
A fun place to work.
Word Processor (Former Employee), Washington, DCNovember 7, 2014
Holland & Knight is a place with flexible hours.

I've gained a lot of software skills with the latest technology.

They have good trainers with up-to-date knowledge.

The hardest part of the job is learning the legal software applications.

The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people.
Fast paced, productive work environment
Real Estate Secretary, Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAAugust 14, 2014
Pros: high rent offices downtown
Cons: long commute
I support three real estate and litigation attorneys with their work product, all aspects of correspondence and document revision, closings, client interfacing, and administrative needs.
The partner I work for primarily is very demanding, terrible at communicating, and needs a lot of support. I have learned through trial exactly how to support her needs, and premeditate future fire drills.
I worked with wonderful staff and attorneys; management needs work but overall it is a good place to work.
Senior Word Processor (Former Employee), Boston, MAMay 21, 2014
Cons: healthcare benefits
As a Word Processor, a typical day was completing the work in a timely manner. I would receive two and three request at the same time and had to prioritize each request and complete them by their deadline. If needed, my co-workers were more than willing to assist me, but she didn't get into the office until 1p and the majority of the deadlines were before that time. The hardest part of the job was getting the attorneys to understand that I didn't have a magic wand so I couldn't always complete their request, even though I never missed a deadline. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new software.
Great work-life balance and superb benefits
Staff Accountant (Current Employee), Tampa, FLMarch 19, 2014
Small department filled with hard-working professionals. Management does not believe in micro-managing. Loose culture.
N/A
Sr. Legal Secretary-Floater (Current Employee), Orlando, FLFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: very considerate with time off
Cons: no chance of promotion
I just wish there were more opportunities for advancement.
Average Big Law law firm
Associate (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 16, 2013
Your typical Big Law law firm. Focused on the bottom line. Mix of good people and some not so good people. Usually pretty interesting work.
Firm with good values, commitment to communities we serve
Manager of eLearning (Current Employee), Tampa, FLMay 16, 2013
Pros: very rewarding work
Cons: limited ability to take time off due to staff reductions
Fast paced, demanding work environment but also very rewarding (particularly when working on pro bono or community service-related projects).

Learned a lot about maximizing resources (equipment, time, etc.) on a very tight budget. Enjoyed being able to express my creativity in developing effective solutions to our attorneys' and staff's needs.
Productive Work Environment
Legal Secretary (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAMarch 18, 2013
Pros: great break area
Cons: location has/had continuous street construction
I enjoyed staying busy as a floater secretary.
Word processing skills were well-utilized.
Learned more technical recordkeeping skills beyond secretarial input
Great break area
Very relaxed law firm with healthy work/life balance.
Sr. Executive Secretary (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 21, 2012
Pros: relaxed environment
Cons: too many people there for too long
No one stresses you to do your job and most believe in their colleagues competence. It's not always roses and sunshine but for the most part it is a very pleasant work environment. The hardest part of the job is because its so relaxed, many people have been there for a very long time which makes it a challenge to introduce new concepts which would benefit the firm. If you are a hard worker it is possible to rise in the ranks albeit not easy. I have learned it is a great place if you are ambitious.
Good job
Associate (Former Employee), TampaJune 15, 2012
Pros: powerful attorneys, great partnership group.
Cons: politics, lack of communication
Not a bad place to work but not the best place to work. A lot of politics, a lot of "who you know", not "what you know". Not a lot of focus on advancement if you are not one of top employees. It is not a work environment for everyone.
Nice people to work with, and firm social activities inside and outside the office.
Litigation Secretary (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJune 4, 2012
Pros: flexible hours, good benefits, accumulated days off, free lunches.
Cons: location.
A typical day started with checking calendars and making sure all arrangements had previously been made for depositions, court appearances, etc. I prepared litigation documents and made edits to documents prepared by attorneys during the day. I also made travel arrangements, entered attorneys' time, submitted expense reports, and opened new files.

I learned how to efile, all the new Word updates, and several different time entry and expense report programs.

Management was very helpful in supporting the secretaries by making sure there was someone available to support my attorneys if I was on vacation or needed to be out for personal reasons, such as doctors' appointments. There was always an open ear.

The other litigation secretaries were always willing to help out, particularly at the end of the day when it was time to submit efilings, mailings, etc. when documents had been finalized.

The hardest part of the job was supporting multiple attorneys when they were all very busy.

I enjoyed the comradeship between the staff and attorneys.
Proactive and great benefits and appreciation.
Legal Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), McLean, VAMay 9, 2012
Pros: free breakfast once a week.
Cons: great health benefits. and bounces.
Good work environment alway appreciated by attorneys.
Experience in Corporate Law practice.
Great management.
Enjoyed working with my co-workers.
Enjoyable part of the job was birthday parties once a month; appreciation lunches.
Senior legal secretary (Former Employee), New yorkMarch 5, 2012
Pros: transit checks given monthly to employees
I highly recommend working there. Friendly staff. Family like atmosphere. Great place to work. Great benefits.
Positive experience. Professional environment with dedicated staff in all positions.
International Maritime Paralegal (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 24, 2012
Pros: exposure to important and interesting cases.
Cons: laid off after 14 months.

Holland & Knight LLP Salaries