Holland America Line Employee Reviews

Its fun working here. Travelling the world for free.
Beverage Attendant (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WashingtonMay 19, 2017
Great place to work but far from family. In some instances its hard to move up in your career. There is no income tax. Getting to know a lot of people and guests of different backgrounds.
Pros
Exploring the world
Cons
Sometimes long working hours
Great, exciting company to work for
Cruise Staff/Cruise Director (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 3, 2017
I wouldn't change this time in my life for anything. It was a busy, non-stop job, but how many people can say that their job allowed them the privilege to visit all 7 continents! The hours were long, getting guests off the ship early in the morning, running activities on board the ship and hosting parties until late in the evening every day of the week. You learn very quickly the benefit of the 20 minute power nap!
Pros
Travel, fun, excitement
Cons
Long days
Very challenging and fun at the same time.
Assistant Pastry (Former Employee) –  Seattle, USAMay 2, 2017
Working for Holland America Line was a good opportunity for me. It pushed me to work harder and helped me grow in the career path I've chosen. And the best part was that I was able to travel different places while working onboard.
Holland America Line is a passenger cruise ship company.
Seafarers/Security guard (Former Employee) –  America, Canada, England,AsiaApril 28, 2017
Holland America Line is a great company. They provide thier employees and passengers need in 100 percent satisfaction. Holland America Line is a passenger ship sailing around the world.
Pros
sailing to different ports
Cons
MLC complaint
Greet learning experience for a first job.
Cruise Line Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLApril 24, 2017
-Meet and Greet
-Check in large groups of guests
-Awesome friendly managers
-Coworkers extremely dedicated to the job
-Enjoyed working at the airport.
It was a great gig most of the time.
Nurse Manager of Medical Department (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 20, 2017
outpatient clinic open, attend any presenting guests or crew members requesting or requiring medical attention. 24/7 rotational call duty for after hours emergencies for both crew and guests. Fully operational emergent/acute care setting able to address, stabilize and treat medical/surgical emergencies until such time as patient could be transferred to shore-side medical facility. Performed lab testing, EKG and X-ray as requested by MD. Varied experiences kept one 'on their toes' knowledge and skill-wise. Working environment included wide range of ethnicity, and medical experience.
Pros
Opprotunity to travel, see ports during 'off time', working with people from many countries, both crew and guests, opportunity to learn new things and utilize my 'basket of skills' from many years of nursing.
Cons
Major change in corporate atmosphere with focus on micromanaging and continuity of services, policy and proceedure over entire fleet of 9 major cruise lines.
This is not an employee friendly place
SENIOR SERVICE DESK TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 5, 2017
This is not an employee friendly place. Management truly cares only about the $ bottom line. This flows from the executives down to middle management, to supervisors and leads.
Tour Director
Tour Director (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMarch 25, 2017
Great job! Management for Escorted Tours is fantastic. Dealing with HAP staff at other properties is challenging. Excellent seasonal job. I would recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind a very volatile lifestyle.
Pros
Fun! Amazing co-workers.
Cons
Long hours, always on the road, no stability
Be sure you understand what you are signing up for
Production Stage Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego CAMarch 24, 2017
In many ways exploitive of their workers. Low wages considering the work done. Better then other cruise lines, but safety was sometimes secondary. Different then production work ashore
Pros
See the world
Cons
Low pay, long hours
educational
4th Engineer promoted to Safety Engineer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 14, 2017
i enjoyed my time at Holland America line as i completed my apprenticeship here then went on to be promoted through the ranks, worked with a lot of different nationalities and on a lot of projects which i throughly enjoyed
Pros
different nationalities
good,nice,fun workplace
Storekeeper (Former Employee) –  Seattle,WAMarch 13, 2017
HOLLAND AMERICA LINE is one of the big company in cruise line in the world,very good management,good service so all the guest will be satisfied.
JOLLAND AMERICA LINE is TRADITION OF EXCELLENT
Ambiente laboral
Guest entertainment (Current Employee) –  Seattle USAFebruary 11, 2017
Excelente ambiente Laboral con todas las comodidades y seguridad que se necesitan para desarrollar el trabajo.
Pros
Seguro excelente
Learning Experience and A Dream Fulfilled
Guest Services Associate (Current Employee) –  SeattleFebruary 3, 2017
Working with HAL allowed me to realized my dream to travel around the world and get paid for it. Guest Services and Customer Relations would be one of the most difficult job on the ship however the working environment on board makes life easier and tolerable.
Pros
Free food and Accommodation
Cons
Long Hours
Driven, fast-paced, impersonal atmosphere
Senior Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 3, 2017
Holland America does not seem to value its land-based employees' efforts. Except for the occasional manager, they did not seem to be interested in allowing employees to balance work with life.
So much fun working in live events
Lighting Technician (Former Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 11, 2017
Fun and enjoy the work place inetresting people to work with. I have learn alot of things such us working with other people and nation. Being flexible in time of works.
Interesting work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Juneau, AKOctober 2, 2016
A very active work environment with a variety of daily activities that requires 100 % attention.Possibilty of traveling around the world while cruising.
Pros
very kind colleagues and peole willing to help you
Cons
long working hours with no profit
Cruise Life is Fun But Not for Everyone
Shore Excursion Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 30, 2016
I loved working on ships to see the world and the having amazing and diverse people to work with. But it is for a young at heart and hard to keep up if you are looking to settle down and work on a career. HAL employees were treated well compared to other lines.
Pros
Eating with guests, destinations, co-workers
Cons
Long hours, away from home, the naval hierarchy system
Really great company to work for
Ship Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 22, 2016
Enjoyed every year I worked for Holland America they thought me a lot of good skills. I enjoyed all of my co-workers, and the environment that I worked in.
Pros
Telecommuting
Cons
Need more social events
Fun, Productive, Great colleagues and gives you the opportunity to travel.
Guest Relations Associate (Former Employee) –  Seattle WashingtonAugust 19, 2016
Front office on board the ship is a challenging yet rewarding job for me.We work 10-12 hours a day without days off for 9 months. You get to work with people from the different parts of the world and also passengers of different walks of life and culture. My job is merely providing excellent service at every point of guest contact. You have to make sure that all all concerns are addressed in a timely manner. Apart from that you have administrative duties such as preparing embarkation and disembarkation logistics. Multi tasking is always what is required of you. You are not only assigned at the reception but you can be also the VIP Suite guest concierge or a telephone concierge. It is a jack of all trades job. It was rewarding in a sense that you get to travel to the most beautiful destinations during your times off.I really had a wonderful job experience.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Long hours no days off
Come here to stay in a box
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 10, 2016
It truly depends on your department, everything here is very silo'ed, no cross-training, and limited growth. Communication lacks between departments about key operational items.
Pros
flexible work schedule, cruise perks
Cons
healthcare rates are outrageous

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Holland America Line. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval