Holland America Line

Holland America Line Employer Reviews

The company provided great opportunities for me
Public Health Supervisor (Current Employee), SeattleOctober 30, 2014
Pros: can work in my preferred field
Cons: office wok only
The company provided me great opportunities for development. I was able to create a new position (Fleet Public Health Officer) the way I deemed best and I contributed to a great degree in developing a program which proofed very successful during the years to come.
The company was very supportive of my efforts and valued my input in improving the public health culture within Holland America Line and Seabourn Cruise Line.
A great place to work while seeing the world!
Youth Program Coordinator (Current Employee), Seattle, WASeptember 19, 2014
Working for Holland America Line give you the amazing opportunity to be paid to travel to some of the greatest vacation spots around the world.
Good for getting more expeiences
assistant cook (Former Employee), Seattle, WAAugust 6, 2014
Pros: good venue for personal skills and development
Cons: too many work and pressures. very long hours of work
everyday has a lot of work to do preparations and cleaning. I learned a lot of international dish. management is not really impressive and because of too many different cross cultural crew each one has to be patience and should get along with others. I must learn to be respectful to them.it is one of the hardest part of the job but I mange to do it. The most enjoyable part of the job is the entertainments in the ship.
I was a creative hostess
CREATIVE HOSTESS (Former Employee), Rotterdam, NYJune 23, 2014
The best time of my life! The passengers were very happy that I was on their cruise. Dayly I received many compliments for the activities I organised. All passengers felt that I was on board for them personally.
very fun job
Dining Room Waiter (Former Employee), Seattle, WAJune 13, 2014
Pros: free accomodation, air fare, food, laundry, insurance and safety too
Cons: shorthbreak
It was very job, a lot of fun, during that time,i learned food and beverage knowledge and improve my english too.Beside that the management was fantastic,co-workers was great, work as a team player,but hardest part was length of contract, it was too long which is 9 to 10 months,But we had enjoyable part was we worked with people which is met each other before
Fun Work Place
EVENT MANAGER (Current Employee), Seattle, WAJune 4, 2014
Traveling the world while doing what you do best is a benefit to working on a floating hotel! Work very hard however the results are always worth seeing!
Amazing Adventures
Party Planner/ CAC Host (Current Employee), The WorldMay 17, 2014
Pros: room, board, travel to & from vessel covered. able to deviate flights and stay in foreign countries, off time in the port, parties, adventure!
Cons: long hours, annoying crabby guests who don't realize they are on vacation and blessed, power tripping bosses (not always)
I have worked here for 4 years and it is a great experience! The work life is very fast and you work hard and play hard. You have to deal with everything from irate ridiculous annoying guests to very pleasant passengers who are just happy to be alive and on vacation! You live where you work so a constant awareness of this is everywhere. Most people congreagate and the crew bar although it is segregated between regular crew and "officers" You work very hard and long hours at times and expected to constantly look happy even if you don't feel this way, and sometimes it gets to you but then you take a walk off the ship and you're in Tahiti, or walking the Great Wall of China, running for the ship in Israel, or skydivving in Hawaii. There are no off days, and if you're lucky enough to have your own room great! ( I did) Room service is free and you can dine in the passenger areas and free to go to the restaurants as well. There are balls on some voyages and night clubs on the bigger ships. You are able to use the pool and the gym. There are a lot of responsibilities with monthly drills to ensure incase of an emergency you can hold your own. There are parties for the crew etc and you make great friends and amazing experiences! Low pay but you aren't here for money, you're here to travel!!!
Great product, not so great work atmosphere
Ship Inventory Specialist (Former Employee), Seattle, WAMarch 20, 2014
I loved working at Holland America until they allowed certain management to treat people horribly and advise us we are very expendable. Great perks, great product.......not so great management.
A great experience as I traveled the world with my work
Onboard Event Coordinator (Former Employee), Seattle WAMarch 18, 2014
Pros: travel
Cons: long hours
Work days are long and you can be called anytime day or night.
The travel benefits are amazing! I circumferences the globe twice.
Co-workers were from every country imaginable and it was great to learn how different cultures work.
The most enjoyable part is the travel.
Fun work place with smile and service by heart all the time
Restaurant Server (Former Employee), Seattle, WAFebruary 15, 2014
Pros: free lunches, rewarding for best employee
Cons: healthcare, insurance
Im working split time,within sometimes got free lunches.I have learned many things,how to deal with all kind of the guest,all kind of the crew and bosses habit,have to understand and respect each others is the most important things working on board to get a fun work,consider all your colleague is your family so it will be easy to enjoying the job.The Management is good as long you not thing that is the hard things,just accept that as the rule that need to obey with your hard then everything will be easy.The hardest part is when you missed your home and when you get sick but that time that make you get strong and stronger.Its always enjoyable when you can see the world while you are working and make plenty friends from all over the worlds.its amazing :)
Restaurant manager
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee), Seattle, WAJanuary 23, 2014
Responsible of smooth operation of Main Restaurant with 700 seats as well Buffet LIDO restaurant.Ensure guests satisfaction,controlling budget. Public Health and Cleanliness of all area.TO make sure all staff able to well execute asigned tasks and follow company rules and standard.

The hardest part of the Job: There few different nationalities on board with different requests of foods which is not always able to accommodate.
so many entertaiment for crew..and not very strict
Stateroom attendant (Former Employee), seattle WAJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: many indonesian people
Cons: less salary than disney cruise line, but same job
more countries visited. because a lot of cruise ship.
80% are indonesian...so I can meet people from same country..
provide the sport location
room service attendant (Former Employee), Seattle, WAJanuary 18, 2014
Pros: we have free lunch
the company is provide everything for the employee,but sometimes we work long hour,I learn alot of thing especially the hospitality management.
Excellent employer
Guest Relations Supervisor (Former Employee), SeattleJanuary 13, 2014
HAL is an excellent employer if it comes to welfare for all the crewmembers and officers on board their ships. As an officer position I had many great benefits on board however the communication from the head office and crew department was excellent and everything was arranged in detail from before,during and at the end of the contract regarding transport, hotels (if needed), contract etc etc
Wonderful Company
Several Positions Held (Former Employee), Seattle, WADecember 12, 2013
I love customer service and Holland America Line is very focused on providing excellant customer experiences during thier cruises.
Great People
Air-Sea Specialist (Former Employee), Seattle WaNovember 3, 2013
Good crew to work with. Never a dull moment. I enjoyed working in travel very much. Helping people book their airfare to their cruises was a rewarding experience.
Fantastic. Great cruise line.
Wine Attendant (Former Employee), Seattle, WashingtonNovember 1, 2013
The ship was wonderful. We have great itinerary with various port of call. Enjoyed working in a cruise line.
good
ALDR Chef (Current Employee), AmericaOctober 11, 2013
Responsible to implement and execute proper maintenance and cleaning procedures in the parties assigned to ensure good appearance and condition.
Productive and friendly working environment
Bartender (Former Employee), MS VEENDAMOctober 2, 2013
Pros: free meals
Cons: breaktime and medical
ready to serve and help the guest to have a once in a life time experiences each and everyday of the cruise
learned to become a good example as a leader and as a co worker
most enjoyable part is meeting and treating a passenger as a guest becoming their not just their server but as their friend
Good enviroment
Assistant Housekeeper (Former Employee), Seattle, WASeptember 29, 2013
Pros: free lunch
Cons: short breaks
Nice day especially in port there is a chance to get out.
A lot training and fresh skill building
Need more attention how to take care human being
Good cooperation
Embarkation day
Public Project

1 2 3

About Holland America Line

At Holland America, we create once-in-a-lifetime experiences. Join us and let's create a unique career experience together! With – Read more

Holland America Line Photos