Holland America Line Employee Reviews in United States

Productive and fun place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Williston, NDMay 27, 2016
The opportunity for advancement were amazing! i started out as a reservations agent, but moved to a reservations supervisor very quickly. The benefits were fabulous and the company was great to work for!
Pros
Benefits, scheduled shifts, management
Cons
business closed it's doors in the Williston area
Holland America Line is a great company
Family Assistance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 1, 2016
My overall experience was very good at Holland America Line. I met people from all over the world, both coworkers & guests.
Pros
Rewarding helping people
Cons
Uncompensated overtime 50+ hours a week for salared employees, made work home life near impossible to balance
High competetitive culinary environment changing by the seasons
Culinary Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 11, 2016
A typical work day will be around 12 hours in a high stress environment, you learn to be creative with the products you can source locally.
Great group of staff who will go the extra mile for customer satisfaction.
Hardest part of the job being away from the family 6 month at the time.
most enjoyable part is seeing the world and experiencing different cultures.
Pros
traveling around the world
Cons
long times away from the family
Come here to stay in a box
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 10, 2016
It truly depends on your department, everything here is very silo'ed, no cross-training, and limited growth. Communication lacks between departments about key operational items.
Pros
flexible work schedule, cruise perks
Cons
healthcare rates are outrageous
work fun and save
assistant stateroom attendant (Former Employee) –  seatle,usaApril 18, 2016
i have enjoy working in holland america line,it has good management this company provide health insurance,good salary, good food. but always hard working,sometimes get day off and free crew tour.i have nice experience of working with another co worker.
Pros
have a day off every week
Cons
long hour
Poor management and outdated environment
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 23, 2016
Great benefits but compensation is awful. Management is unorganized and stuck in their ways. Company doesn't show value for it's employees and shows no sign of changing.
Pros
One free cruise a year after working one full year, 9/80 schedule, new building in 2017
Cons
Compensation, social life, management, parking, CEO
Overview of ship's life
Guest Service & Neptune Lounge Concierge (Former Employee) –  USAFebruary 15, 2016
Working at ship is a completely different from land base companies. It required strength, determination, patience and strong product knowledge. First thing it in the morning we conduct power meeting to keep the team on the same page, what we expect for the date and other essential information to gives up on the loop for the whole shift. The company extend trainings and seminars to enhance the skills of guest services team. The team are compose of competitive individuals with same goals in delivering premium service for all the guests. I'd guess the enjoyable part of my job is to have a chance to see the world for free.
Going through changes, but will hire in Guest Programs
World Cruise Reservations Agent (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 10, 2016
Going through changes, but will hire in Guest Programs. Not a lot of room to move out of customer service and guests programs to more professional departments.
Gained Experience
Marine Engineer, and work (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 23, 2016
Gained experiences as a first job, looking forward to learn more from different environment/company.
Working with different nationalities gives me an idea how to approach them and work with them
Hosting events and seeing the world
Show Host / Disc Jockey / Cruise Director (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 3, 2016
I love making guests enjoy their cruise by hosting fun events also connecting with different lifestyles and nationalities.
Pros
Traveling, going on tours and having fun.
Cons
Being stable, no relationship no watering plants or walking dogs. MY OWN!
good community for indonesian and filiphino
STATEROOM STEWARD (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 27, 2016
I like HAL so far, we have good community and professional management, but it's getting hard since we have early embarkation
Pros
good food
Cons
more work
Fun and Friendly Environment
Reservation Agent (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 21, 2016
I love work here, this is a great company with a lot of opportunities in other department. Benefits is a plus. They also have opportunities for you to work from Home now.
Pros
Cruise Benefits, Family and friends
Cons
Long commute
Best 17 years of my life
Hotel Director (Former Employee) –  Seattle WA.January 22, 2016
Very satisfying position to get things done each cruise, attaining the desired results with all crew members and support from Head Office
Pros
Worldwide travel
Cons
Away from Family for long periods of time
good place
Reservation Agent (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 12, 2016
good place but rude people. need to write more blah blah. I don't really know what to type now. need a new job - this one is bad.
Great way to work and travel
Event Manager (Current Employee) –  Cruise ShipJanuary 4, 2016
Life on a ship is hectic and enjoyable. There are early mornings when the ship is at sea starting with activities at 8:30am and ending late into the evening with live Entertainment.
Days in port are less hectic on the ship and more computer work and projects can be accomplished as most of your guests are off in port. you also have the ability to leave the ship and explore the different ports if your work schedule allows for it.
Life on board is busy with a constant stream issues to resolve that are different every day including Guest hospitality issues, Staff scheduling and HR, entertainment technical, and the shows and events which are being performed - Making the job exciting and exhausting at the same time.
You meet the best people from around the globe who you not only work with, but live with too and they become your family away from home. The best part of work on a ship is meeting amazing people and discovering the world with them.
Pros
Free travel, meeting new people
Cons
working every day. no days off.
hardworking and productive
BEVERAGE ATTENDANT/ BARISTA (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 30, 2015
I would be grateful for the opportunity to expand on my experiences and learn more about your establishment during a personal interview with you. I feel my passion for food and beverage service and background will be complimentary to your company and can be a positive addition to your team.
If you find me to be a suitable person for your position then do not hesitate to contact me by email. I am eager for an opportunity to demonstrate to you my knowledge, skills and experience and would be very grateful if you would invite me for a interview
Very disorganized
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  On board the vesselJanuary 27, 2016
Unfortunately Head office was very disorganized. No proper communication between the ships and head office. No Consistency at all.
Pros
Good benefit package.
Toxic Workplace
Guest Relations Associate - Shift Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 2, 2015
The work is demanding everyday but the working environment is totally fine.

As Guest Relations Associate, I've learned a lot of things. I must say that my motivational and leadership skills were truly developed.

It's good to work with co-workers from different parts of the world. There's always something to share and learn from them.

The hardest part of the job is having no single day-off for the whole 9 months of my contract. The crew tends to get burned out at the middle or by the end of the contract.

The most enjoyable part is the places we travel.
Pros
Free travel and accommodation
Cons
No Single Day off
Fun work place with a good entertainment facility for crew
Dining Room Supervisor / As you wish dining Host (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 7, 2015
I worked 11 hours a day and 7 days a week with very long contract for my position which is 10 months, actually 6 months would be better in terms of daily performance for every staff members. I worked my way up from an assistant buffet steward to dining room supervisor within 5 years, I learned many things related to operating a restaurant on board the cruise ship particularly management skill such as dining reservation system, fidelio, mxp or food ordering software and other supervisory skill. I have very nice and supporting co-worker which make job much more easier to accomplished and the hardest part of the job is dealing with stubborn staff member and the most enjoyable part of the job is to train the new staff who have a very high motivation to do the job.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Short breaks
Exciting, fun, and tiring
ASSISTANT STAGE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 10, 2015
Fun and good work place back at the ship.
I've met different kinds of people, different cultures and personalities. You need to blend in to your new environment and try to adapt a new lifestyle at the ship. It's tough so you need to challenge your self every single day until your contract ends
Pros
FREE MEALS AND SHELTER AND YOU GET TO SEE THE BEAUTIFUL PLACES ON EARTH
Cons
SHORT BREAKS, SEA SICK

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Holland America Line. Our community is ready to answer.

Holland America Line Reviews by Location