Holland Board of Public Works Employee Reviews

Quite good for summer work
Summer Help (Former Employee) –  Holland, MIApril 11, 2016
I was only at Holland BPW for a few months, so take this with a grain of salt.

I got along well with my managers, who were eager to provide help when I needed it and were not overly demanding. The work involved a lot of repetitive physical tasks and a lot of standing outside, often in hot weather (but never in the rain, thankfully). I personally spent a lot of time performing data entry, which proved quite boring, but others who applied for the same position were almost always performing groundskeeping and other physical work.

My co-workers were friendly and very helpful when I needed it. As long as you do your job well/reasonably fast, you'll get on fine.
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
Tedium
laid back
coal and ash (Current Employee) –  jdy power plantMarch 4, 2016
If you do your job, you will be fine. Most coworkers are capable and friendly. As a new employee I asked a lot of questions and no one got irritated by that. My mentors are the most valuable asset.
Pros
management very flexible
Cons
coal and ash shutting down :(
Workplace
Operator (Former Employee) –  Holland, MIJuly 27, 2015
I enjoyed my job here but when working shift work it took time away from my family so I found something that was just first shift so I didn't miss out on family gatherings.
Pros
Lunches
Cons
Shift Work
very productive company
Electric Meter Tech 1 (Former Employee) –  Holland, MBJune 30, 2015
very good company with all amenities available for its employee to enjoy and I enjoy working for the company while I am there
Good Place to Work
IT Security Specialist (Former Employee) –  Holland, MIJune 4, 2014
Work on all security aspects including firewalls, antivirus, laptops and servers
Fun, Great place to work
Power Plant Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Holland, MIOctober 14, 2012
The best part about being a Mechanic here at the Power Plant is that everyday is different. The atmosphere is happy and fun among co-workers. The hardest part of this job was getting used to working in an "on demand" job. If something broke at 2:30pm and our day is done at 3:30pm we stayed on and fixed the problem. Getting a phone call at 3am for machinery that broke down was another thing to get used to. To me, after making the committment to work in this kinda job, getting the job done and plant running back to normal was priceless.
This was a great company and good working enviornment to allow you to grow.
Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  Holland, MIJune 8, 2012
Screen, interview, recommend and recruit prospective employees, including internal candidates for advancement; conduct employee background checks and new employee orientation

Manage and lead extensive internship, co-op and summer help programs

Counsel management team on recognizing and resolving employee issues; administer the disciplinary action process; employee leave administration

Lead management team members on negotiations of labor contracts as well as in the implementation and interpretation of labor contracts

Benefits enrollment and administration

Manage workers' compensation and work-related injury claims

Participate in designing, recommending and implementing human resources policies and procedures and employee benefits

Review work-related accidents and reports; work closely with safety team in investigating accidents and prevention of accidents

Counsel employees on career development and employee relations; train management and employees on corporate policies, procedures, labor contracts

Participate, research and recommend management response to bargaining employee grievances

Administer and review employment activities for compliance with federal, state and local labor rules and regulations

Perform local, regional and national job analysis and classification data searches

Analyze, recommend and administer employee benefit plans and programs, health and dental insurance, life insurance, STD, LTD, FMLA, retirement, tuition reimbursement, employee wellness program, etc.

Employee recognition program management; coordinate employee recognition activities and
  more... communications

Participate in the design and implementation of employee performance evaluation (including merit) for both bargaining and non-bargaining
• Developed and implemented a variety of training programs on topics including: conflict resolution, financial planning, and diversity training
Pros
ability to manage yourself and lots of empowerment.
Cons
understaffed