Holland Company Employee Reviews

Excellent place to work for if you can dodge the yearly lay offs
Welding Supervisor (Current Employee) –  NationwideJanuary 11, 2018
I started in August of 2014 and was laid off in 2016, I was rehired in 2017. So glad to be back. They tend to lay off at the end of each year, then hire at the start of the next year. If you have an in you can most likely get back on. There are certain managers that are inexperienced and could make your life a little harder. But besides those things here's some more detailed info. You make $32 per diem and $0.54/mile, if you have your own place to stay (camper/RV or house) they will give you a $55/day lodging allowance. They will pay for your flights or rental car should you need one. Point is you can make a LOT of money if you're willing to make the effort. I would say being a welding supervisor contracted with U.P.R.R., on an 8 days on and 7 days off schedule, is one of the best jobs a single person with no kids can have.
Pros
Pay, reimbursement, Possibly your schedule, some managers
Cons
Possibly your schedule, some managers
Productive and great place to work, great pay, they take care of you!
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Crete, ILJanuary 26, 2016
I can't say enough good things about this company, I think I explained it in my summary. I wish I was still there but I stayed out to long (2 mo.), they like you to go home every 2-3 weeks, It does you good, trust me!! do as they say they have been around for awhile!!!!
Pros
travel, great people great job
Cons
none, unless you don't like to travel, if so don't work there!
Great place and good people
assembler (Former Employee) –  Crete, ILApril 25, 2015
On a typical day, we was handed our work assignment. what I learn was something, I already knew was time management. my co-worker was helpful an management was too. the pay was good and the people was like family.
Pros
people, and pay
Railroad work
Track Inspector (Former Employee) –  Crete, ILMarch 28, 2015
You drive a truck down the tracks while a guy in the back of truck tests track for defects using lasers and cameras. Then after 10 or more hours of that you go to hotel and work on truck for 3 or more hours
Pros
Nice hotels to stay in.
Cons
Pay is way too low for the work you do.
nice job , no security
Driver/Shipper-Receiver (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 2, 2015
Holland company was a very demanding and physical job. I like working there however, I was laid off without warning, along with 33 others due to budget cuts
Pros
nice pa. great overtime
Cons
lay off often
Safety oriented, results driven work environment.
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Crete, ILJune 21, 2014
Operate and maintain equipment, perform daily safety briefing. Calibrate equipment on railroad track and perform strength and geometry tests. Learned railroad safety procedures as well as tolerances for track measurement. Upper management is based in Crete, IL. and assists with scheduling and logistics. On site management dictate daily operations of equipment. Co-workers are an interesting mix of individuals from various parts of the US. The hardest aspect of this job is the extensive travel (2, 3, or even 4 weeks at a time). A positive aspect of this job is being able to see many interesting places and meet a lot of different people.
Pros
One week off monthly.
Cons
Extensive Travel
stay away from scab outfits
inspector (Former Employee) –  miscellaneousApril 1, 2014
They won't pay you what u deserve! The railroads are hiring! They will treat you like scum!
Pros
nothing
Cons
pay, benifits, etc
Productive and educational.
Driver/Track Inspector (Former Employee) –  Crete, ILFebruary 16, 2014
Great opportunity for single individual. Alot of traveling and bad weather. Co-workers were nice and management was okay.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Travel
Fun job if you like the cold or hot weather
Railroad Contractor (Former Employee) –  Crete, ILOctober 12, 2013
I did enjoy the job a lot, the only downfall was the manager you are stuck working with.
The people who work within the office are a great group of people.