Holland Employee Reviews

Mediocre job
Linehaul Regional Driver (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHFebruary 14, 2018
Applied as a city driver, hired in as a linehaul driver. Every terminal has different union rules, some terminals they put your trailer up for you, other terminals you do everything. Linehaul is fine if you are ok with never knowing when or where you are going. If you want a job where you know what you are doing and can have a life outside of work then I would highly recommend you look else where.
Pros
Free health benefits
Cons
No time for anything other than work, never know when or where you are going
Best health care benefits in the industry
LTL Driver (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 10, 2018
All the bad reviews, people dont seem to understand that holland has 100% company paid health insurance. $200 deductible 80/20. Find that for 0 bucks a month. Take the good with the bad. And the starting wage isnt bad . $20/hour plus time and a half after 8. A lot of trucking companies never offer overtime. And with a guaranteed fifty hour week, that's nothing to be ashamed of. But go ahead and find a company that'll give you the shiny truck u think u need. The work hours are long, but that is due to the lazy *****who come to work and dont pull their weight but you will find those types just about anywhere.
Pros
Overtime, health insurance
Cincinnati terminal sucks
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 6, 2018
Site won't allow me to post true feeling about company. Best advice is AVOID COMPANY. Unless you want to be lied to, talked down to. Mistreated. Multiple counts of theft from company over looked favoritism
Pros
Cons
Working at this dump
Holland Hospital
Receptionist/Multicultural Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Holland, MINovember 18, 2017
My position was Multi-Cultural Coordinator. It didn't pay enough and was very demanding. I did translating (written) as well as interpreting (verbally).
Pros
Met alot of great people
Cons
pay rate was too low
Poor equipment
Driver (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILOctober 15, 2017
They have trucks that pull City frieght that aren't properly rated. Some equipment could not make it out of a dock with and incline when loaded. Starting out, you will be driving these trucks.

It is easy to get hired, however you run a high chance of being fired before you are vested with the union. Most drivers work 60-90 days on the dock and then are fired.
Pros
Decent health insurance
Cons
Poor management, poor equipment
Literally gave me an ulcer
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Owatonna, MNSeptember 18, 2017
I worked for Holland for almost a year. It was by far the worst experience of my life. The manager was hostile, vulgar, racist, sexist, and had a temper that at times was violent and scary. There was zero respect given to any of his staff and the fellow office workers picked up on his vibe, spending the day insulting the drivers. I finally had enough after being called a the R word by the am clerk and walked off the job.
relaxed environment,good people
City Driver/Dock Worker/linehaul work (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 15, 2017
Holland is a decent company to work for-some of the equipment is outdated, but all in all you meet some good people and there's plenty of room for earning potential.
Pay not worth it
Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILJune 9, 2017
Holland offered me a job 4 years ago and said the $11.90 starting wage was due because of the 2008/2009 recession and I see that's still their starting wage. Try Fed Ex, Xpo,Dayton or Old dominion. All of these companies start out at least $16 per hour
Pros
Union shop
Cons
Starting wage way too low
Fun work place
Home Health Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sherman, TXApril 5, 2017
I love help people that need it.I try to go out off my way to put a smile on her face,I also like learn new things as i work, I am a fun person,I haven't find nothing hard about this job.
Cons
Short breaks
no comment
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMarch 16, 2017
It was a nice place to work and the job wasn't that hard its just that I wasn't getting enough hours to make it worth it and they were giving other people more hours that started after I did.
Pros
easy work
Cons
late hours
Good people, rewarding and meaningful work
Main Office (Current Employee) –  Holland, MIMarch 2, 2017
Management is open to suggestions for improvement.
People take pride in their work. The job is important and rewarding.
Pros
People
12 hours a day for 8 hours pay
City Planner (Current Employee) –  Ellenwood, GAJanuary 13, 2017
Long days and nothing in return. Work 60-70 hours a week for 40 hours pay and get wrote up for going to see your mom on her death bed. Rules only apply to some and to the ones that do get threatened the job daily.
Pros
Cons
always a negative vibe there
Worst!
Dock/Yard (Current Employee) –  Jeffersonville, INJanuary 7, 2017
This is the worst place I have, personally, ever worked for. All I can tell you is from personal experience. If I could rewind time I would not have taken this job.
Pros
Insurance
Cons
Everything else
Fun place
Lineman Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Canada new brunswickOctober 23, 2016
Nice job, good condition. We are traveling in the state for emergency and i like it. The guys are experiented and fun to work with! All is include, food, pension,equipement.
Good Company, Tough Industry.
Various (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 18, 2016
Unpredictable work load and inconsistent in communicating if work will last. Was once a great place to work. Best if you have a second or alternative way to make money in a downturn.
Pros
Supportive tech and office.
Cons
Many middle managers.
Upon request
Electronic Technician (Former Employee) –  IlinoisOctober 6, 2016
I'm a good self starter. Good organization skills and great work ethic. Looking to further my career and put all of my skills to great use.
Great company to work for
Assistant Supervisor (Current Employee) –  United StatesSeptember 29, 2016
Upkeep up of the truck. Communicating with the customer. Ordering parts for truck. Scheduling maintenance. Daily paperwork for customer as well as home office. Responding to daily emails. And daily log book for cdl driving.
Pros
Per dium and quarterly bonus health beniefits and vacation
Cons
Away from home 3 weeks out of the month
Good solid employment
Mobile Welder Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Crete, ILSeptember 7, 2016
Solid company, life on the road as a contractor. It's what to be expected for work away from home. Good wages , always work , benefits ect............
This grass is no longer green!
Line Haul Driver/ city driver (Former Employee) –  Tomah, WIJuly 16, 2016
Started off doing line haul and was grateful with the willingness of MOST of the drivers to help out at anytime. However, I was discouraged right from the start at the low morale and negativity that ran rampant through this terminal and every terminal that I went to. Clearly the buyout of Holland by YRC has left the hearts and wallets a little emptier of the drivers of this once top notch company, which I understand on one hand, but on the other wonder for the life of me, why the drivers put up with it! Switched to city to be home at night and WOW, what a racket! Most of the city equipment belonged in a scrap yard, more time is spent on the dock than actually fulfilling your job description as a delivery driver, agitated drivers. When you're hard at work on the dock dodging other forklifts, senior drivers won't let you load trailers and will snatch the forklift from you, so you're never really learning anything. Management doesn't communicate effectively, especially with new drivers, and will at the drop of a hat throw you under the bus and talk to you like you're a 5 year old. For what it's worth to prospective drivers, stay away, UNLESS, you're the type of person who will roll over and put up with anything! The only positive thing I had from this nightmare was it made me realize how great my former employer was, so I went back and have been smiling since.
Pros
Quitting time
Cons
Toxic work environment, junk equipment, small outdated facilities, agitated drivers, union entitlement
Fun work, good coworkers. Lots of time away from home.
Mobile welder machine opperater. (Former Employee) –  VariousMarch 14, 2016
I only worked here for 6 months, when i was hired i was told the industry was growing and i could expect to be promoted within a year wit my experience. After a few months i was told that the contracts were ending and would not start again until the new year. I was home with no pay from thanksgiving until the second week of January. It wasn't too bad but i wish someone had warned me when i was hired on. after another few months of being told we could be laid off at any time and being told we needed to sacrifice to keep our jobs, i was laid off and told they have no idea when they might need me again.
I was never made to feel very needed or appreciated my management and heard nothing but the same from coworkers.
Probably for the best i go somewhere else, just would have been nice to stay there a while longer until i was ready to move on.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Holland. Our community is ready to answer.