Holland Employee Reviews in United States

Cashier/Shift Lead/Trainer
Server/Shift Lead, (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORDecember 7, 2015
I absolutely loved this job. It had such a fun a quirky atmosphere because it was a concept restaurant started by The Holland Co. which owns Burgerville, thus compensation was very fair. Health Insurance was provided at only $5 a month!

Because it was a new restaurant, we were able to make it our own and had the ability to change things for the better or improve aspects like dishes we served or the way the restaurant was ran.

My manager was very fair and one of the best I've had. He took me to a seminar where I received "Guest Service Expert" and eventually promoted me to shift lead.

It was a "quack casual" dining experience where guests would order at the desk and we would serve them at their table.

There was a lot of opportunity for growth there but unfortunately it also closed because of reasons I don't feel right discussing here.
Pros
Half-off meals, cheap medical, dental and optical insurance, amazing coworkers and manager, great atmosphere and guests.
Cons
Because it was a concept restaurant, job security was fairly low.
FEDEX PAYS $15hr Starting!!!
Dockworker (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILDecember 18, 2015
I would choose Fedex or any other freight company besides UPS freight or Holland because they over work you and don't pay enough FEDEX FREIGHT starts you off at $15 and within a year your earning $19hr and you get benefits $80 a month health, dental and vision insurance that's cheap!!!
Pros
Cons
FedEx pays better $15hr starting
Fun work, good coworkers. Lots of time away from home.
Mobile welder machine opperater. (Former Employee) –  VariousMarch 14, 2016
I only worked here for 6 months, when i was hired i was told the industry was growing and i could expect to be promoted within a year wit my experience. After a few months i was told that the contracts were ending and would not start again until the new year. I was home with no pay from thanksgiving until the second week of January. It wasn't too bad but i wish someone had warned me when i was hired on. after another few months of being told we could be laid off at any time and being told we needed to sacrifice to keep our jobs, i was laid off and told they have no idea when they might need me again.
I was never made to feel very needed or appreciated my management and heard nothing but the same from coworkers.
Probably for the best i go somewhere else, just would have been nice to stay there a while longer until i was ready to move on.
Administrative Assistant, Office Manager
OFFICE MANAGER/HUMAN RESOURCES (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSSeptember 7, 2015
Great company to work for and great benefits.
Loved my job and the freedom I had for my family.
However, after 56 years they went out of business.
Challenging, but rewarding
Landman (Former Employee) –  Marietta, OHFebruary 9, 2016
I was responsible for contacting landowners and meeting with them to discuss and negotiate Oil and Gas Leases. I was one of the top 2 producers and was very well liked by the broker, client as well as landowners. I work well with little to no supervision and take pride in my work. I excel in comunicating with the customers as well as co workers and managers.
Pros
Set my own schedule
Cons
long hours 6 days a week, industry unstable
Nice office in heart of downtown Ft. Worth
Project Manager/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ft. Worth, TXJanuary 29, 2016
I typically go into the Holland office about 3 days a week, and work from home the other two. It's nice to have that flexibility, and to be able to access my work computer from home. While at the office, most people either keep to themselves or keep to their particular team. At times that is nice, but it sometimes feel as if we are not all a team. They do have people on staff that are really knowledgeable, and will help with any questions you may have.
A glimpse into enterprise IT
IT Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Holland, MIJuly 30, 2015
Holland offers a great glimpse into enterprise IT.

The day to day work is largely autonomous, though depending on the development group you reside in, the tasking can be more direct or indirect. Largely, while you are tasked out, you still control your hours logged and spent.

Holland is a sub-company to its parent, Yellow Road Corporation (YRC). New-comers to IT, or those coming from smaller scale industries will learn how enterprise IT operates with the ability to observer structured change management and service delivery, separation of teams and security, as well the limited scope in job operations.

Holland lies between a business casual and casual culture. It is by no means a startup type of company, and you are expected to try and tuck in your shirt during the week. Like everything that existed in and adopted from the 80's, casual jeans Friday still exists and is celebrated.

The underlying business of trucking transportation seethes into IT and the rest of the business. Swearing is common, and culturally sensitive topics can often breach the level of professional appropriateness (race, gender, etc jokes) in open conversation. It is often laughed about how little HR can do about this. If you are coming in expecting professional interaction, you may be very disappointed with this in regard.

Management is great and are there to support you through everything. The IT structure is relatively flat, and that want to ensure you are happily and productively functioning in your role.

The hardest part is coordinating the work with the parent company and
  more... Holland. Holland has strong feelings about the work and service delivery of the parent company, and has begun a many year take back of IT autonomy. This causes a lot of strife and confusion within the business, attempting to ascertain who is a point of contact, and where responsibilities lies.

This job is great first step, or stepping stone into enterprise IT or consultation. There is a lot to be learned from the operation within an IT department of a billion dollar company. Getting beyond the unprofessional attitude, and being able to confront and rise above the struggles of the company and its parent will lead to great success here. However, the limited benefits, market-compensation, and work life environment lead me to suggest Holland as a stepping stone to move forward outside upon.
Pros
Good entry level position, or stepping stone
Cons
Excessive health care costs, unprofessional and negative environment
Great place to work!
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILFebruary 5, 2016
Very friendly place to work where everyone got along. Bosses were open to suggestions and were very flexible as to hours worked. I learned a lot because you are handling multiple companies books who may use a variety of software and different methods to run their business.
Pros
Flexible, friendly place to work.
Cons
No medical insurance.
Good, but not great
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Ft. Worth, TXMarch 2, 2016
It's a great place if you like working for larger brokerages, but it feels as if nobody talks to each other. Therefore, you do feel as if you have no support if problems arise.
Beware! Don't do it..
Employee (Former Employee) –  ColumbusJune 17, 2015
Former employee at Columbus Terminal. Hostile environment like you have never seen. You will be lied to by Management, backstabbing! The pay is not worth 12hr days! No teamwork! Operations Manager has no clue! Most of the Supervisors lack knowledge.

Equipment is horrible, old, not taken care of, half of the equipment should be out of service. Can't hire good help, just fill positions with bodies that will quit in a matter of weeks. You will be promised everything and get NOTHING but long hours, lies, walked over and grief over things you can't control. Employee's having 20 + years with them are leaving it's so horrible... Such a cluster that they can't stay current even working Saturday crews. Running the drivers out of hours by Thursday. 100-200 bills behind a day! Holland is not what it once was. By far one of the worst LTL companies out there. Absolutely no teamwork! If you want to go home angry, disappointed, being lied to, no procedures, 12 hr days and Management treating you like dirt work for them. If you want a life and be happy look elsewhere like ABF, Pitt, Estes, Conway, NEMF, Saia, OD, heck YRC would be better
Pros
Got paid weekly
Cons
TM, OM, 12hr days, lies, lies, Mangagment, Equipment
Good place to work, but deal with union workers
Operational Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 21, 2015
The company is a good company to work for. It has gone through some tough times the the last 7 years, but overall the company outlook is good. The company is investing a lot of money into training and into new technology to help update the company.

The job can be very stressful especially in the winter.

You do deal with union workers and can not enforce productivity standards.
Terrible
Driver dock worker (Former Employee) –  Rock Island, ILNovember 14, 2015
Do not trust this Rock Island company, the management fights with the union workers every day. It is crazy division and unless you have 10 years in seniority you will not make much money. The equipment is junk.
Pros
union
Cons
management
only good out of this place is benefits
office (Former Employee) –  rockford,ilJanuary 2, 2015
Management bad and people are not friendly nor are they trustworthy and they are great at lying to you. Labor laws are broken there too. Not worth the stress. Do not work here unless you love stress and being lied to. They say one thing and promise you another and it is all a lie.
benefits
Cons
not trustworthy they lie and not following labor laws
Great food, leader in the industry
Manager (Current Employee) –  Gresham, ORDecember 2, 2015
My typical day at work includes. Guest service, and making sure that they get what they want. I Love the Guests and crew that I get to see and work with every day. This company likes to develop from within.
Pros
good food
Cons
don't have a set schedule-work day and night in the same week
rebuild and replace rail road tracks
HTEC Track Laborer (Former Employee) –  Crete ILNovember 10, 2015
Holland is a good company to work for good pay great people on the job training and the keys to move up in the company key note great job for someone without a family like children and able to travel
Great work environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLNovember 4, 2015
I enjoyed being able to use my medical experience to review depositions and taking care of all our clients needs. It took a lot of hard work and knowing that my medical experience helped justice to be served was very rewarding.
Operations Supervisor Des Moines, IA
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IowaJune 12, 2014
Manager totally misrepresented the hours and weekend hour commitment for the position in order to fill the position. Required to work over 55 hours every week for mediocre salary. Planning the freight and routes was fun and easy. Dispatch supervisor was a solid influence and great trainer.
Pros
hard working crew
Cons
mutliple
Good firm for experienced accountants
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAMay 13, 2014
Most days were busy. A good opportunity to work for various clients in numerous industries. Majority of co-workers and management team members were friendly and easy to work with.
Pros
paid for cpe, employee benefits
Cons
lack of training
Terrible. Don't do it.
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Owatonna MNOctober 26, 2014
I was the Operations Supervisor at the Owatonna Terminal. It's a joke.
You do everyone else's job ( including the Teamsters positions), you have no authority, there is promise of open positions and promotions, but they do not exist.
You have no idea when your day will be done- it might be 7:30 or it might be 10:30.
Daytime positions don't really exist, and the slight few that have them don't do their job so the night people have to work twice as hard.
Management is laughable. Terminal Manager was gone all day or on "conference calls".
Company could be good to work for other than the people that already work there, the hours, their expectations, the actual jobs, lack of communication, false hopes, and their lack of care with customers freight.
Pros
none at all
Cons
no breaks at all, risk of being run over by forklift, having to accept multiple forms of harassment.
don't do it
local driver (Former Employee) –  Akron, OhioApril 30, 2015
Bad company to work for. Management will stab you in the back to save their own tail. Long hours cold dock. not worth it at all.