Holland Employee Reviews in United States

Challenging, but rewarding
Landman (Former Employee) –  Marietta, OHFebruary 9, 2016
I was responsible for contacting landowners and meeting with them to discuss and negotiate Oil and Gas Leases. I was one of the top 2 producers and was very well liked by the broker, client as well as landowners. I work well with little to no supervision and take pride in my work. I excel in comunicating with the customers as well as co workers and managers.
Pros
Set my own schedule
Cons
long hours 6 days a week, industry unstable
Nice office in heart of downtown Ft. Worth
Project Manager/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ft. Worth, TXJanuary 29, 2016
I typically go into the Holland office about 3 days a week, and work from home the other two. It's nice to have that flexibility, and to be able to access my work computer from home. While at the office, most people either keep to themselves or keep to their particular team. At times that is nice, but it sometimes feel as if we are not all a team. They do have people on staff that are really knowledgeable, and will help with any questions you may have.
Fun work, good coworkers. Lots of time away from home.
Mobile welder machine opperater. (Former Employee) –  VariousMarch 14, 2016
I only worked here for 6 months, when i was hired i was told the industry was growing and i could expect to be promoted within a year wit my experience. After a few months i was told that the contracts were ending and would not start again until the new year. I was home with no pay from thanksgiving until the second week of January. It wasn't too bad but i wish someone had warned me when i was hired on. after another few months of being told we could be laid off at any time and being told we needed to sacrifice to keep our jobs, i was laid off and told they have no idea when they might need me again.
I was never made to feel very needed or appreciated my management and heard nothing but the same from coworkers.
Probably for the best i go somewhere else, just would have been nice to stay there a while longer until i was ready to move on.
Great place to work!
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILFebruary 5, 2016
Very friendly place to work where everyone got along. Bosses were open to suggestions and were very flexible as to hours worked. I learned a lot because you are handling multiple companies books who may use a variety of software and different methods to run their business.
Pros
Flexible, friendly place to work.
Cons
No medical insurance.
FEDEX PAYS $15hr Starting!!!
Dockworker (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILDecember 18, 2015
I would choose Fedex or any other freight company besides UPS freight or Holland because they over work you and don't pay enough FEDEX FREIGHT starts you off at $15 and within a year your earning $19hr and you get benefits $80 a month health, dental and vision insurance that's cheap!!!
Pros
Cons
FedEx pays better $15hr starting
Good place to work, but deal with union workers
Operational Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 21, 2015
The company is a good company to work for. It has gone through some tough times the the last 7 years, but overall the company outlook is good. The company is investing a lot of money into training and into new technology to help update the company.

The job can be very stressful especially in the winter.

You do deal with union workers and can not enforce productivity standards.
Great food, leader in the industry
Manager (Current Employee) –  Gresham, ORDecember 2, 2015
My typical day at work includes. Guest service, and making sure that they get what they want. I Love the Guests and crew that I get to see and work with every day. This company likes to develop from within.
Pros
good food
Cons
don't have a set schedule-work day and night in the same week
Good, but not great
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Ft. Worth, TXMarch 2, 2016
It's a great place if you like working for larger brokerages, but it feels as if nobody talks to each other. Therefore, you do feel as if you have no support if problems arise.
Cashier/Shift Lead/Trainer
Server/Shift Lead, (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORDecember 7, 2015
I absolutely loved this job. It had such a fun a quirky atmosphere because it was a concept restaurant started by The Holland Co. which owns Burgerville, thus compensation was very fair. Health Insurance was provided at only $5 a month!

Because it was a new restaurant, we were able to make it our own and had the ability to change things for the better or improve aspects like dishes we served or the way the restaurant was ran.

My manager was very fair and one of the best I've had. He took me to a seminar where I received "Guest Service Expert" and eventually promoted me to shift lead.

It was a "quack casual" dining experience where guests would order at the desk and we would serve them at their table.

There was a lot of opportunity for growth there but unfortunately it also closed because of reasons I don't feel right discussing here.
Pros
Half-off meals, cheap medical, dental and optical insurance, amazing coworkers and manager, great atmosphere and guests.
Cons
Because it was a concept restaurant, job security was fairly low.
Great work environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLNovember 4, 2015
I enjoyed being able to use my medical experience to review depositions and taking care of all our clients needs. It took a lot of hard work and knowing that my medical experience helped justice to be served was very rewarding.
Terrible
Driver dock worker (Former Employee) –  Rock Island, ILNovember 14, 2015
Do not trust this Rock Island company, the management fights with the union workers every day. It is crazy division and unless you have 10 years in seniority you will not make much money. The equipment is junk.
Pros
union
Cons
management
rebuild and replace rail road tracks
HTEC Track Laborer (Former Employee) –  Crete ILNovember 10, 2015
Holland is a good company to work for good pay great people on the job training and the keys to move up in the company key note great job for someone without a family like children and able to travel
Administrative Assistant, Office Manager
OFFICE MANAGER/HUMAN RESOURCES (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSSeptember 7, 2015
Great company to work for and great benefits.
Loved my job and the freedom I had for my family.
However, after 56 years they went out of business.
Real good people to work for.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TNFebruary 24, 2015
I go to substitute at different schools in Rutherford County. I would learn different things about different schools and how the schools were ran. The company that hired me has really good management and they know exactly what they want out of the employee. The hardest part of the job is not knowing if you will be able to work the whole week. The most enjoyable thing is working the whole week and getting to know some of the kids if I don't already know them,
Pros
working with kids
Cons
not knowing if i will ne able to work the whole week
Keep looking
City Driver (Current Employee) –  Ft. WayneFebruary 18, 2015
I've been with Holland Motor for 19 years. When I started it was the elite LTL carrier to work for. Ever since YRC bought us it has been down hill. If you work local you'll spend more time working the dock than driving. You'll average 11 hours a day. Starting wage will be a little over $15.00 per hour and take 3 years to get to top wage. If you're starting in LTL look somewhere else. ABF, UPS Freight, Old Dominion, anywhere is better than a YRC company.
Pros
people
Cons
junk equipment, micro-management, lack of trust
Holland
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 18, 2015
While at Holland I was the lead supervisor on the outbound shift. We picked up LTL freight locally and shipped it to 75 terminals in the Midwest and Southeast. I learned how to handle stress in a extremely fast passed environment.
Pros
Everyday was different.
Cons
Unions
Keep looking!!!
City/dock (Current Employee) –  South Bend, In.January 4, 2015
Company is serious debt. Employees are giving back 15% of weekly earnings. I've been with the company 9 months and have given back over $6000 of my hard earned money. Really difficult to want to go to work everyday. I'm definitely looking for work again. Work and family balance is a joke! Pension is a joke. Best perks of the job, are the people and free health care. Do yourself a favor, keep looking else where....
Pros
people
Cons
everything else
Energy sector -dynamic company
Curative Agent (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 17, 2015
A leading energy sector company, national in scope providing top quality land services with a dynamic leadership team.
Pros
Employee recognition opportunities
Cons
More training always a good thing
Beware! Don't do it..
Employee (Former Employee) –  ColumbusJune 17, 2015
Former employee at Columbus Terminal. Hostile environment like you have never seen. You will be lied to by Management, backstabbing! The pay is not worth 12hr days! No teamwork! Operations Manager has no clue! Most of the Supervisors lack knowledge.

Equipment is horrible, old, not taken care of, half of the equipment should be out of service. Can't hire good help, just fill positions with bodies that will quit in a matter of weeks. You will be promised everything and get NOTHING but long hours, lies, walked over and grief over things you can't control. Employee's having 20 + years with them are leaving it's so horrible... Such a cluster that they can't stay current even working Saturday crews. Running the drivers out of hours by Thursday. 100-200 bills behind a day! Holland is not what it once was. By far one of the worst LTL companies out there. Absolutely no teamwork! If you want to go home angry, disappointed, being lied to, no procedures, 12 hr days and Management treating you like dirt work for them. If you want a life and be happy look elsewhere like ABF, Pitt, Estes, Conway, NEMF, Saia, OD, heck YRC would be better
Pros
Got paid weekly
Cons
TM, OM, 12hr days, lies, lies, Mangagment, Equipment
only good out of this place is benefits
office (Former Employee) –  rockford,ilJanuary 2, 2015
Management bad and people are not friendly nor are they trustworthy and they are great at lying to you. Labor laws are broken there too. Not worth the stress. Do not work here unless you love stress and being lied to. They say one thing and promise you another and it is all a lie.
benefits
Cons
not trustworthy they lie and not following labor laws