Holland Employee Reviews

Good solid employment
Mobile Welder Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Crete, ILSeptember 7, 2016
Solid company, life on the road as a contractor. It's what to be expected for work away from home. Good wages , always work , benefits ect............
This grass is no longer green!
Line Haul Driver/ city driver (Former Employee) –  Tomah, WIJuly 16, 2016
Started off doing line haul and was grateful with the willingness of MOST of the drivers to help out at anytime. However, I was discouraged right from the start at the low morale and negativity that ran rampant through this terminal and every terminal that I went to. Clearly the buyout of Holland by YRC has left the hearts and wallets a little emptier of the drivers of this once top notch company, which I understand on one hand, but on the other wonder for the life of me, why the drivers put up with it! Switched to city to be home at night and WOW, what a racket! Most of the city equipment belonged in a scrap yard, more time is spent on the dock than actually fulfilling your job description as a delivery driver, agitated drivers. When you're hard at work on the dock dodging other forklifts, senior drivers won't let you load trailers and will snatch the forklift from you, so you're never really learning anything. Management doesn't communicate effectively, especially with new drivers, and will at the drop of a hat throw you under the bus and talk to you like you're a 5 year old. For what it's worth to prospective drivers, stay away, UNLESS, you're the type of person who will roll over and put up with anything! The only positive thing I had from this nightmare was it made me realize how great my former employer was, so I went back and have been smiling since.
Pros
Quitting time
Cons
Toxic work environment, junk equipment, small outdated facilities, agitated drivers, union entitlement
Fun work, good coworkers. Lots of time away from home.
Mobile welder machine opperater. (Former Employee) –  VariousMarch 14, 2016
I only worked here for 6 months, when i was hired i was told the industry was growing and i could expect to be promoted within a year wit my experience. After a few months i was told that the contracts were ending and would not start again until the new year. I was home with no pay from thanksgiving until the second week of January. It wasn't too bad but i wish someone had warned me when i was hired on. after another few months of being told we could be laid off at any time and being told we needed to sacrifice to keep our jobs, i was laid off and told they have no idea when they might need me again.
I was never made to feel very needed or appreciated my management and heard nothing but the same from coworkers.
Probably for the best i go somewhere else, just would have been nice to stay there a while longer until i was ready to move on.
Good, but not great
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Ft. Worth, TXMarch 2, 2016
It's a great place if you like working for larger brokerages, but it feels as if nobody talks to each other. Therefore, you do feel as if you have no support if problems arise.
Challenging, but rewarding
Landman (Former Employee) –  Marietta, OHFebruary 9, 2016
I was responsible for contacting landowners and meeting with them to discuss and negotiate Oil and Gas Leases. I was one of the top 2 producers and was very well liked by the broker, client as well as landowners. I work well with little to no supervision and take pride in my work. I excel in comunicating with the customers as well as co workers and managers.
Pros
Set my own schedule
Cons
long hours 6 days a week, industry unstable
Great place to work!
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILFebruary 5, 2016
Very friendly place to work where everyone got along. Bosses were open to suggestions and were very flexible as to hours worked. I learned a lot because you are handling multiple companies books who may use a variety of software and different methods to run their business.
Pros
Flexible, friendly place to work.
Cons
No medical insurance.
Nice office in heart of downtown Ft. Worth
Project Manager/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ft. Worth, TXJanuary 29, 2016
I typically go into the Holland office about 3 days a week, and work from home the other two. It's nice to have that flexibility, and to be able to access my work computer from home. While at the office, most people either keep to themselves or keep to their particular team. At times that is nice, but it sometimes feel as if we are not all a team. They do have people on staff that are really knowledgeable, and will help with any questions you may have.
FEDEX PAYS $15hr Starting!!!
Dockworker (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILDecember 18, 2015
I would choose Fedex or any other freight company besides UPS freight or Holland because they over work you and don't pay enough FEDEX FREIGHT starts you off at $15 and within a year your earning $19hr and you get benefits $80 a month health, dental and vision insurance that's cheap!!!
Pros
Cons
FedEx pays better $15hr starting
Cashier/Shift Lead/Trainer
Server/Shift Lead, (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORDecember 7, 2015
I absolutely loved this job. It had such a fun a quirky atmosphere because it was a concept restaurant started by The Holland Co. which owns Burgerville, thus compensation was very fair. Health Insurance was provided at only $5 a month!

Because it was a new restaurant, we were able to make it our own and had the ability to change things for the better or improve aspects like dishes we served or the way the restaurant was ran.

My manager was very fair and one of the best I've had. He took me to a seminar where I received "Guest Service Expert" and eventually promoted me to shift lead.

It was a "quack casual" dining experience where guests would order at the desk and we would serve them at their table.

There was a lot of opportunity for growth there but unfortunately it also closed because of reasons I don't feel right discussing here.
Pros
Half-off meals, cheap medical, dental and optical insurance, amazing coworkers and manager, great atmosphere and guests.
Cons
Because it was a concept restaurant, job security was fairly low.
Great food, leader in the industry
Manager (Current Employee) –  Gresham, ORDecember 2, 2015
My typical day at work includes. Guest service, and making sure that they get what they want. I Love the Guests and crew that I get to see and work with every day. This company likes to develop from within.
Pros
good food
Cons
don't have a set schedule-work day and night in the same week
Terrible
Driver dock worker (Former Employee) –  Rock Island, ILNovember 14, 2015
Do not trust this Rock Island company, the management fights with the union workers every day. It is crazy division and unless you have 10 years in seniority you will not make much money. The equipment is junk.
Pros
union
Cons
management
rebuild and replace rail road tracks
HTEC Track Laborer (Former Employee) –  Crete ILNovember 10, 2015
Holland is a good company to work for good pay great people on the job training and the keys to move up in the company key note great job for someone without a family like children and able to travel
Great work environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLNovember 4, 2015
I enjoyed being able to use my medical experience to review depositions and taking care of all our clients needs. It took a lot of hard work and knowing that my medical experience helped justice to be served was very rewarding.
Good place to work, but deal with union workers
Operational Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 21, 2015
The company is a good company to work for. It has gone through some tough times the the last 7 years, but overall the company outlook is good. The company is investing a lot of money into training and into new technology to help update the company.

The job can be very stressful especially in the winter.

You do deal with union workers and can not enforce productivity standards.
Administrative Assistant, Office Manager
OFFICE MANAGER/HUMAN RESOURCES (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSSeptember 7, 2015
Great company to work for and great benefits.
Loved my job and the freedom I had for my family.
However, after 56 years they went out of business.
A glimpse into enterprise IT
IT Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Holland, MIJuly 30, 2015
Holland offers a great glimpse into enterprise IT.

The day to day work is largely autonomous, though depending on the development group you reside in, the tasking can be more direct or indirect. Largely, while you are tasked out, you still control your hours logged and spent.

Holland is a sub-company to its parent, Yellow Road Corporation (YRC). New-comers to IT, or those coming from smaller scale industries will learn how enterprise IT operates with the ability to observer structured change management and service delivery, separation of teams and security, as well the limited scope in job operations.

Holland lies between a business casual and casual culture. It is by no means a startup type of company, and you are expected to try and tuck in your shirt during the week. Like everything that existed in and adopted from the 80's, casual jeans Friday still exists and is celebrated.

The underlying business of trucking transportation seethes into IT and the rest of the business. Swearing is common, and culturally sensitive topics can often breach the level of professional appropriateness (race, gender, etc jokes) in open conversation. It is often laughed about how little HR can do about this. If you are coming in expecting professional interaction, you may be very disappointed with this in regard.

Management is great and are there to support you through everything. The IT structure is relatively flat, and that want to ensure you are happily and productively functioning in your role.

The hardest part is coordinating the work with the parent company and
  more... Holland. Holland has strong feelings about the work and service delivery of the parent company, and has begun a many year take back of IT autonomy. This causes a lot of strife and confusion within the business, attempting to ascertain who is a point of contact, and where responsibilities lies.

This job is great first step, or stepping stone into enterprise IT or consultation. There is a lot to be learned from the operation within an IT department of a billion dollar company. Getting beyond the unprofessional attitude, and being able to confront and rise above the struggles of the company and its parent will lead to great success here. However, the limited benefits, market-compensation, and work life environment lead me to suggest Holland as a stepping stone to move forward outside upon.
Pros
Good entry level position, or stepping stone
Cons
Excessive health care costs, unprofessional and negative environment
Professional, organized, friendly company.
Team Member/Food Server (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJuly 30, 2015
A typical work day consisted of welcoming guests into our restaurant, then placing their order(s). Delivering only the best fresh, local food and ingredients was what made our company stand out from others. 100% fresh, 100% local. Employees prepared the fresh ingredients necessary for the day, this includes cutting/washing/baking/preparing everything by hand. This environment is a fast paced, high volume restaurant. On an average day dealing with large amounts of the public is common. Never a dull moment, always on your feet! All employees were to keep the restaurant clean and prompt at all times. All stations were to be stocked and organized for our fellow employees to assure success for the next shift. Operating a cash register, handling large sums of cash, debit/credit cards, were essential operations to know. Also, multitasking in the drive-thru and dining area was something all employees including myself were to know how to do. Management is very hardworking, organized, prompt and professional individuals. Co-workers are very friendly, hardworking, reliable, prompt individuals. The hardest part of the job, working a very flexible schedule, typically never a set schedule. The most enjoyable part of this job, working for such an awesome company! Every person who works for this company has a smile on their face. Everyone enjoys their fellow employees and management. As for what I learned, I learned to work as a team to accomplish any given task at hand, how to work well under pressure and how an establishment operates. I also learned that serving the public is one of my many  more... great qualities!  less
Pros
70% employee discount, affordable healthcare.
Cons
Hourly pay, short breaks.
don't do it
local driver (Former Employee) –  Akron, OhioApril 30, 2015
Bad company to work for. Management will stab you in the back to save their own tail. Long hours cold dock. not worth it at all.
Holland
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 18, 2015
While at Holland I was the lead supervisor on the outbound shift. We picked up LTL freight locally and shipped it to 75 terminals in the Midwest and Southeast. I learned how to handle stress in a extremely fast passed environment.
Pros
Everyday was different.
Cons
Unions
Energy sector -dynamic company
Curative Agent (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 17, 2015
A leading energy sector company, national in scope providing top quality land services with a dynamic leadership team.
Pros
Employee recognition opportunities
Cons
More training always a good thing

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Holland. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9