Holland Employee Reviews

Good Company but...
Line Hual (Current Employee) –  McCook, ILJune 11, 2017
Holland isn't a bad company but the reason I left was because there was a reduction pay. The company took back 15% of all hourly employees per week. The equipment isn't given out by seniority
Pros
Good medical insurance
Cons
Didn't have consistent work and little chance of promotion
Pay not worth it
Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILJune 9, 2017
Holland offered me a job 4 years ago and said the $11.90 starting wage was due because of the 2008/2009 recession and I see that's still their starting wage. Try Fed Ex, Xpo,Dayton or Old dominion. All of these companies start out at least $16 per hour
Pros
Union shop
Cons
Starting wage way too low
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Ringgold, GAMay 18, 2017
It has the Union. The Union hurts this company tremendously.
Union has to much power!!!!!!! The Union needs to be abolished from the states and give power back to the companies to operate in the best for the company as a whole.
Pros
Security
Cons
Union and insurance
Fun work place
Home Health Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sherman, TXApril 5, 2017
I love help people that need it.I try to go out off my way to put a smile on her face,I also like learn new things as i work, I am a fun person,I haven't find nothing hard about this job.
Cons
Short breaks
no comment
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMarch 16, 2017
It was a nice place to work and the job wasn't that hard its just that I wasn't getting enough hours to make it worth it and they were giving other people more hours that started after I did.
Pros
easy work
Cons
late hours
Good people, rewarding and meaningful work
Main Office (Current Employee) –  Holland, MIMarch 2, 2017
Management is open to suggestions for improvement.
People take pride in their work. The job is important and rewarding.
Pros
People
12 hours a day for 8 hours pay
City Planner (Current Employee) –  Ellenwood, GAJanuary 13, 2017
Long days and nothing in return. Work 60-70 hours a week for 40 hours pay and get wrote up for going to see your mom on her death bed. Rules only apply to some and to the ones that do get threatened the job daily.
Pros
Cons
always a negative vibe there
Worst!
Dock/Yard (Current Employee) –  Jeffersonville, INJanuary 7, 2017
This is the worst place I have, personally, ever worked for. All I can tell you is from personal experience. If I could rewind time I would not have taken this job.
Pros
Insurance
Cons
Everything else
Fun place
Lineman Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Canada new brunswickOctober 23, 2016
Nice job, good condition. We are traveling in the state for emergency and i like it. The guys are experiented and fun to work with! All is include, food, pension,equipement.
Good Company, Tough Industry.
Various (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 18, 2016
Unpredictable work load and inconsistent in communicating if work will last. Was once a great place to work. Best if you have a second or alternative way to make money in a downturn.
Pros
Supportive tech and office.
Cons
Many middle managers.

Want to know more about Holland?

Ask a question
Upon request
Electronic Technician (Former Employee) –  IlinoisOctober 6, 2016
I'm a good self starter. Good organization skills and great work ethic. Looking to further my career and put all of my skills to great use.
Great company to work for
Assistant Supervisor (Current Employee) –  United StatesSeptember 29, 2016
Upkeep up of the truck. Communicating with the customer. Ordering parts for truck. Scheduling maintenance. Daily paperwork for customer as well as home office. Responding to daily emails. And daily log book for cdl driving.
Pros
Per dium and quarterly bonus health beniefits and vacation
Cons
Away from home 3 weeks out of the month
Good solid employment
Mobile Welder Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Crete, ILSeptember 7, 2016
Solid company, life on the road as a contractor. It's what to be expected for work away from home. Good wages , always work , benefits ect............
This grass is no longer green!
Line Haul Driver/ city driver (Former Employee) –  Tomah, WIJuly 16, 2016
Started off doing line haul and was grateful with the willingness of MOST of the drivers to help out at anytime. However, I was discouraged right from the start at the low morale and negativity that ran rampant through this terminal and every terminal that I went to. Clearly the buyout of Holland by YRC has left the hearts and wallets a little emptier of the drivers of this once top notch company, which I understand on one hand, but on the other wonder for the life of me, why the drivers put up with it! Switched to city to be home at night and WOW, what a racket! Most of the city equipment belonged in a scrap yard, more time is spent on the dock than actually fulfilling your job description as a delivery driver, agitated drivers. When you're hard at work on the dock dodging other forklifts, senior drivers won't let you load trailers and will snatch the forklift from you, so you're never really learning anything. Management doesn't communicate effectively, especially with new drivers, and will at the drop of a hat throw you under the bus and talk to you like you're a 5 year old. For what it's worth to prospective drivers, stay away, UNLESS, you're the type of person who will roll over and put up with anything! The only positive thing I had from this nightmare was it made me realize how great my former employer was, so I went back and have been smiling since.
Pros
Quitting time
Cons
Toxic work environment, junk equipment, small outdated facilities, agitated drivers, union entitlement
Fun work, good coworkers. Lots of time away from home.
Mobile welder machine opperater. (Former Employee) –  VariousMarch 14, 2016
I only worked here for 6 months, when i was hired i was told the industry was growing and i could expect to be promoted within a year wit my experience. After a few months i was told that the contracts were ending and would not start again until the new year. I was home with no pay from thanksgiving until the second week of January. It wasn't too bad but i wish someone had warned me when i was hired on. after another few months of being told we could be laid off at any time and being told we needed to sacrifice to keep our jobs, i was laid off and told they have no idea when they might need me again.
I was never made to feel very needed or appreciated my management and heard nothing but the same from coworkers.
Probably for the best i go somewhere else, just would have been nice to stay there a while longer until i was ready to move on.
Good, but not great
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Ft. Worth, TXMarch 2, 2016
It's a great place if you like working for larger brokerages, but it feels as if nobody talks to each other. Therefore, you do feel as if you have no support if problems arise.
Challenging, but rewarding
Landman (Former Employee) –  Marietta, OHFebruary 9, 2016
I was responsible for contacting landowners and meeting with them to discuss and negotiate Oil and Gas Leases. I was one of the top 2 producers and was very well liked by the broker, client as well as landowners. I work well with little to no supervision and take pride in my work. I excel in comunicating with the customers as well as co workers and managers.
Pros
Set my own schedule
Cons
long hours 6 days a week, industry unstable
Great place to work!
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILFebruary 5, 2016
Very friendly place to work where everyone got along. Bosses were open to suggestions and were very flexible as to hours worked. I learned a lot because you are handling multiple companies books who may use a variety of software and different methods to run their business.
Pros
Flexible, friendly place to work.
Cons
No medical insurance.
Nice office in heart of downtown Ft. Worth
Project Manager/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ft. Worth, TXJanuary 29, 2016
I typically go into the Holland office about 3 days a week, and work from home the other two. It's nice to have that flexibility, and to be able to access my work computer from home. While at the office, most people either keep to themselves or keep to their particular team. At times that is nice, but it sometimes feel as if we are not all a team. They do have people on staff that are really knowledgeable, and will help with any questions you may have.
FEDEX PAYS $15hr Starting!!!
Dockworker (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILDecember 18, 2015
I would choose Fedex or any other freight company besides UPS freight or Holland because they over work you and don't pay enough FEDEX FREIGHT starts you off at $15 and within a year your earning $19hr and you get benefits $80 a month health, dental and vision insurance that's cheap!!!
Pros
Cons
FedEx pays better $15hr starting