Hollywood Bowl and AMF Bowling

Hollywood Bowl and AMF Bowling Employer Reviews

Fun workplace
Assistant (Current Employee), NyJuly 14, 2014
Pros: free soda and discounts
Cons: spending
Like everything it has its ups and downs...no room for growth, no raises, sometimes can be overwhelming,
fast paced and full of excitement
Dishwasher (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJune 16, 2014
Pros: free lunches, and amazing pay
Cons: healthcare
I was working at The Hollywood Bowl through Patina as a dishwasher and it was the best experience of my life.
Stressful job with no organisation or management recognition
Lane Server/ Team Member (Current Employee), BoltonMarch 20, 2014
Cons: busy environment, stressful, no communication between managers, poor security
As a team member I would typically work on the lanes serving food and drinks to customers and helping diffuse any issues that may have happened during their visit. The centre is always busy with many days feeling understaffed with very little help from duty managers who do nothing but watch their employees via the buildings CCTV cameras to ensure that – more... they are all doing work. You feel like you are constantly being watched and assessed my the management team making you feel like nothing more than a walking till. There is no communication between management meaning many issues remain unresolved. There seems to be no fair system for distributing shifts as the same people always appear to be on the same shifts week in week out which can cause an issue if you need to get public transport or a taxi home when working at night, the company does provide £2.50 towards a taxi if you are working a close shift but this is no viable and you end up spending the majority of your wage getting to and from work and when this is addressed to a member of the management team they seemed disinterested with the issue and continued to put the same team members on the same shifts. Co-workers are friendly and approachable and provide the majority of training while working there. Whilst working there I have learnt basic hospitality skills and also how to serve food and drinks. – less
Center wise great, company wise terrible
Who cares (Current Employee), SomewhereAugust 10, 2013
This is not a good time to be in the bowling industry. Either get out while you can, or make AMF your secondary job if it's your primary job. The new CEO of the company is ruining AMF. It's a shame that they allowed some guy who doesn't have a clue about bowling and poorer demographics buy the company out. On top of that, the CEO just had a lawsuit – more... put on him three years ago by 5 minorities (black and Hispanic) for discrimination. That makes me as an African American very uncomfortable knowing that the CEO of the company is either a racist, or practices some form of discrimination.

My center is fun though. – less
Productive work place.
Team Member (Former Employee), StocktonJuly 18, 2014
Pros: free meal
Cons: long hours
A busy hard working environment that thrived on customer service. I learned how to talk to customers in the correct manner, cash take, stock count.. The hardest part of the job was the weekend as it was really busy.
Children's Party Host.
Children's Party Host (Former Employee), StevenageJuly 13, 2014
A diverse job.
I would say that this job is for someone patient and quick to learn.
Bad Management
Team Member (Current Employee), Leeds, ENGJune 22, 2014
Pros: discount on some food, love xtras, discount cards
Cons: long hours, open bank holidays, minimum wage, 0 hour contract
Like being in a playground, rumours, gossip, petty arguments.

Unprofessional Management

Operating microwaves and flipping burgers.

Rota Basis (back to back shifts e.g - 5pm-1am ... 9.45am-5pm)
Busy and Lively environment.
Receptionist (Former Employee), NorwichJune 12, 2014
Pros: fun workplace
Cons: long hours
I worked for Hollywood Bowl Norwich for 3 months. I worked on reception. Mt duties included meeting and greeting customers in a friendly manner. Answering telephone calls and taking bookings over the phone. Hollywood Bowl helped me develop my customer service skills and helped me build in confidence. I worked with a small team who were a lot of fun – more... to work with. – less
fun and enjoyable
Customer service (Former Employee), stocktonMay 29, 2014
Pros: friendly enviroment
I enjoyed working here. The hours were good and the staff and customers were friendly. A overall good company to work for.
Overall job summary
Bar Supervisor (Former Employee), GlasgowMay 28, 2014
Pros: learning as part of a team and thinking quickly on my feet
Cons: late night working at weekends and fights within bar area
Setting up areas for busy day, organising supplies at start of the week and putting in orders for bar area. Working as part of a team in high paced setup and environment, cashing up tills at end of trade. Dealing with safety of customers when fights broke out within bar. Organising kids parties and dealing with birthdays and work nights out to ensure – more... they have the best experience while visiting the bowling. – less
Entertaining but intense
Team member (Current Employee), Ashton-Under-Lyne, ENGApril 22, 2014
Pros: interaction with customers
Cons: too intense
During peak time the centre is manic, keeping a cool head is essential.
rubbish management
assistant manager (Former Employee), tauntonFebruary 7, 2014
Pros: nice staff
Cons: mostly everything
Terrible management. Working as assistant manager in a team of men me being Female proceeded to be me doing all the work whilst they spoke about football in the office together. Made me feel very uncomfortable. .
N/A
Bar Supervisor (Former Employee), stevenageJanuary 27, 2014
this was a really good job I was a barmen I learned so much at Hollywood bowl would love to get back in to bar work
good learning to deal with cusoters, fun,
Bar staff / Team Member (Former Employee), Wokingham, ENGJanuary 23, 2014
Pros: customer relations, deals on bowling :)
Cons: hours
Was good working with children making them laugh,
co-workers was always helpful and if u ever needed help they would always wan to help.
a little slow most days apart from a saturday but all round you could find something to do,
managment was always changing rather fast in this company i noticed but each person worked fair and was always willing to – more... help you move forward. – less
Multi Skilled Team Member (Former Employee), Washington, ENGNovember 25, 2013
Pros: free bowling, cheap bowling, discounted food.
Cons: long hours, wasn't paid properly numerous times.
A typical day at work would include setting up everything ready for the shift such as balloons and barriers on the lane as well as making sure everything is clean and tidy ready for the first lot of customers. You would then set them up and ask for any food or drinks orders they may have.
I learned numerous skills such as expanding my bar work experience – more... and also demonstrating good customer service as well as communication skills.
The co workers were not the best to work with for the lack of team work that was shown throughout a daily basis. Name calling as well as horrible rumors would be spread also on a daily basis.
The general manager would be the best manager I have known/will ever know. He/She had coached me so well to become who I am today and managed me very well. I will miss the manager as I feel like I got on well with them. I would say the same for both assistant managers that were employed here.
There was nothing really hard about the job.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the end of each shift. – less
Fun please to work
Administration Assistant (Former Employee), Bracknell, ENGOctober 29, 2013
Pros: cheap bowling
Cons: last minute overtime
Booking of lanes and general office duties. Learnt different computer systems. Management and co workers for good fun to work with. Some time asked to work longer hours to do cover at the last moment. Customers and co workers/
Fun Environment
Receptionist (Current Employee), Leeds, ENGSeptember 28, 2013
I enjoy working at Hollywood Bowl, its has a fun and exciting environment, the staff are great to work with and I meet new people everyday. It is always busy on the weekends and children's holidays; therefore I am happy to work under-pressure and I always complete my daily tasks. I have great skills such at meeting and greeting customers asking if they – more... need help with setting the games up and shoes etc, I have a good experience in taking bookings over the phone and taking deposits. – less
Fun
Receptionist, Lane host (Former Employee), Peterborough, ENGSeptember 25, 2013
Your coowerkers will be your best friends Lovely people Great management
Expect to have no life
Sales assistant (Former Employee), Birmingham and Liverpool, ENGSeptember 13, 2013
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: minimum wage, long, varying shifts, unsociable hours
Answering phones, taking bookings, serving customers. Most managers were nice. Co-workers were the best part of the job. The hardest part of the job was having to deal with customers who did not want to relinquish their drinks after 'drinking-up-time' had been called.
Great place to work for students
General Assistant (Current Employee), Glasgow, SCTSeptember 11, 2013
Pros: cheap food although mostly fried, mostly left just to get on with your job!
Cons: no public transport, low staff moral, minimum wage, frustrating with lack of communication
Basically it's a bowling alley!
You take customers orders and deliver their food and drink. If you work in the café, you make the food and if you work on reception you book people in and upsell games/food/drink.

If you want to progress it's difficult as everyone (almost) is part time and nobody is given any responsibility!

The company does have ok – more... discounts but nothing special through Love Extras and takes part in the government scheme to help with childcare.

You can have good and bad shifts like everyone and managers do not communicate which drives the staff nuts, tips are a bit rubbish but you can make about £20-30 on a good night. The pay is minimum wage which is why the staff moral is not great.

Mostly everyone is 18-25 ish with a few exceptions that work there mostly all of them it being their first job!

It's a good wee place to work if you enjoy bowling and interacting with the public but make sure you have your own transport as nearest train station bout 15 min walk and no buses go near it (nearest stop about a 20 min walk and no service after 8pm) – less

About Hollywood Bowl and AMF Bowling

Hello, we’re The Original Bowling Company. You may not have heard of us before – In 2010 we merged AMF Bowling and – Read more

Hollywood Bowl and AMF Bowling Photos