Holston Valley Medical Center Employee Reviews in United States

fasinating work experience and great call center ecperience
Switchboard Operator (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNMarch 24, 2016
I came to work entered a small room with 3 to 4 other women or men and computers and PBX machines. I would answered over 100+ calls in one shift. Incoming calls from families who needed to be connected to their families. I answered out bound calls from inside the hospital and connected to the appropriate place, I paged any or all hospital staff to for one another. I worked a PBX machine to do all the work. Had to multitask and be able to look up patients in seconds to be able to get to the next call on the board.
Pros
10 days on and 10 days off work schedule
Cons
small work room
Terrible place to work
Nurse. (Former Employee) –  Hospital Bristol TN.March 10, 2016
Typical "big Business " attitude. Do not care about patients or staff , only bottom dollar. The Staff does not matter only their need of you to further their agenda.
Pros
pay is decent
Cons
read review
love working with my boss and the group on D500
RN-ICU stepdown (Current Employee) –  Kingsport, TNSeptember 23, 2015
Management is great, typical day consists of taking care of patients on trach vents, regular vents, BIPAP, CPAP machines etc. Dealing with critical patients.
Holston Valley Emergency Department
Provide Paramedic (Current Employee) –  Kingsport, TNJuly 22, 2015
Paramedic's were brought into the Emergency Department to provide active pre-hospital level care with critical thinking assessments to the patients presenting to the emergency room. Paramedics worked along side nurse's for direct patient care, administering medications and preforming procudures as directed.
Pros
Clinical growth
Cons
Poor upper mangement
hard work
central transport (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNJuly 18, 2015
Worked hard every day,on a time schedule. Learned that people have different needs working in a hospital. Bosses were professional. Co-workers were great. Fast pace all the shift. The needs for other people was a great demand, but it felt nice.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Not really no cons
Productive place to work
Charge RN. Responsibilities (Current Employee) –  Kingsport, TNJune 30, 2015
Great place to start your career as a RN. Great experienced nurses to teach you to be a safe and effective provider. Great leaders as well to provide leadership
Pros
hours, and self scheduling
Cons
short breaks, staffing
Depends on where you work
Anesthesia Technician (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNMay 13, 2015
Everything has to do with the people who surround you. I had some good experiences and also some terrible ones. Management doesn't really know or care what is going on.
Noncompetitive pay rates, no opportunity for advancement, poor staffing, continuing education discouraged.
Nurse (Former Employee) –  medicalMarch 26, 2015
Has potential if they would get rid of middle management and stop allowing non medical employees To run medical areas. Some of the lowest pay rates in the area for nurses.
Pros
The patients.
Cons
"Job Scared" environment, poor safety, lack of respect from management
Summary
RN (Current Employee) –  Kingsport, TNSeptember 13, 2014
I learned Ventilator management, BLS,ACLS, insulin administration, to maintain critical drips, maintain IV access, tube feedings, CPAP, BIPAP. I feel my co-workers is what keeps me working on my unit. The hardest part of the job is the turn over, we are continuously losing employees, mandatory overtime, mandatory flexing up taking more patients. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the smile on my patients or family members face knowing that I'm doing the best I can do for them.
ICU Nurse
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNJuly 28, 2014
Worked with some really great team members. ICU was well staffed.
friendliest staff
Registered Nurse on Medical Surgical floor (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNJuly 12, 2014
commute was too far. I'd leave at 0545, work 13 hours, drive home and get up and do it all over again. Gas was too expensive to get to and from work
Cons
rarely had breaks
Great workplace and coworkers
Radiography Clinical Student (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNMay 23, 2014
I had the best experience as a student at Holston Valley, everyday I learned more about diagnostic x-ray and was able to experience situations and difficulties that small hospitals do not see. The co-workers were absolutely outstanding and great to work with.
The most enjoyable part of the job
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNJanuary 4, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job was making a difference in the people's life that I came in contact with.
Enjoy working with people
Admissions Rerpresentative (Current Employee) –  Kingsport, TNNovember 6, 2013
I have learned the admissions process and about healthcare.
Great Place to Work For, Great People to work with!
Patient Care Technician/Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNOctober 17, 2013
A typical day as a PCT in the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit was recovering patients directly out of surgery and assisting them with daily needs. Management inside of Holston Valley in my particular unit was fabulous! My supervisor always worked with the needs of everyone and made sure staffing needs were addressed. The hardest part of this job was the emotional attatchment you get while taking care of patients days on end. I enjoyed being able to meet amazing people with amazing stories.
Pros
great coworkers
Short staffed
rn (Current Employee) –  Kingsport, TNOctober 2, 2013
Everyone feels very overworked and pushed to limits at all times, not supported by upper management. Kept completely in the dark regarding status of hospital and our jobs, continually afraid of losing our jobs with continued lay offs.
Pros
having a job
Cons
everything else mentioned
The people I worked with were awesome!
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Kingsport, TNJune 18, 2013
The people I worked with on my unit were fantastic. We had a great teamwork approach any time anyone got into a jam. I learned new skills in cardiac nursing. The hardest part of the job was being told there would be no job to come back to at the end of June. Our unit was being closed and we would all be laid off. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping each other and working as a team.
Pros
the people are great
Cons
being laid off
Good Place to work
Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Kingsport, TNMay 9, 2013
•Performed RN duties for critically ill cardiac, cardio-thoracic, vascular, oncology, plastics, and neurological/neurosurgical patients.
•Experience in Level 1 center care, caring for critically injured trauma patients, including motor vehicle collisions, falls, gunshot wounds, neurological insults, among others.
•Resuscitate and stabilize patients, manage IV drips and titration, arterial, CVP and Swan-Ganz transducer lines, balloon pumps, induced hypothermia post cardiac arrest therapy, ventilators, wound care, medications and other appropriate nursing services.
•Served on research team and helped develop the hospital protocol for the induced hypothermia post cardiac arrest treatment.
Job was dependable
Environmental Technician (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNApril 25, 2013
Enjoyed the people I worked with. Work wasn't very hard. Flexible schedule
Pros
no layoff
Cons
deal with death a lot
Great place to work while I have been in school
Administrative Secretary (Current Employee) –  Kingsport, TNApril 24, 2013
My co-workers are the best. No matter the situation they always say or do something to make the day even better. I have grown in my experience as a secretary and have learned many aspects of the administrative areas.