Holston Valley Medical Center Employee Reviews

terrible
PCT (Patient Care Technician)/ Secretary (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNNovember 12, 2017
Nurses are rude and think they are better than anyone less than them. They refuse to help when asked, they put themselves before patients, and PCT's are ran to death.
Pros
insurance
Cons
not enough breaks, rude co workers
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNNovember 2, 2017
Management is two faced and will lie directly to your face. The pay is terrible and the staffing sucks. Many floors are on mandatory overtime for nurses and nursing assistants. The most enjoyable part of the day is when you get to go home.
Very busy and stressful, great people and doctors to work with
Radiologic Technologist, Registered (RT(R)) (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNOctober 19, 2017
Great people to work with, the management not so great, didn't really seem to know or care about employees. Also as for the size and amount of exams the pay is in the some of the lowest percentiles in the country.
Fast pace
Customer Support Tech - Material Management (Current Employee) –  Kingsport, TN 37660September 11, 2017
on the go right after you clock in 30 mins lunch break. your rest breaks not always be able to take it. Work load increases through out the week. less benefits, no longer giving bonuses,
Pros
hospital will be their
Cons
they will always try to reduce your benefits
Good Training
Med. Surg. Technician/Secretary (Current Employee) –  Kingsport, TNSeptember 6, 2017
Is a good experience o work for them and they do offer great training, Co-workers are very nice and do give you a pat on the back if you go above and beyond the call of duty.
Pros
day goes fast
Cons
your very tiered when you leave.
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNSeptember 1, 2017
I loved working at this hospital, however I did relocate and moved back to NC. I learned a lot working there in PACA and pre-admissions. So intriguing to be in a hospital setting
Pros
learning experience
Cons
It was in a different state
Great manager
RN (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNAugust 29, 2017
Brenda Edwards was an angel. She quit and went to case management. Coworkers were ok.. some cut throat witches but that's anywhere you go. CNAs were terrible. Sat at the desk looking at their phones. Useless an a fur coat in Florida. The equipment was in poor condition, but again-- that's everywhere. It wasn't bad for a new nurse. Overall, it was a good experience. I'm glad I worked there.
Pros
Variety of experiences
Cons
lousy CNAs
good culture
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNAugust 25, 2017
great for new nurses. teaching hospital. learned time management & how to work in a fast paced environment. the patient turnover was quick. had experience with ventilated patients, drips, etc
Dietary (current employee)
Dietary (current employee) (Current Employee) –  Kingsport, TNJuly 21, 2017
will not hire smokers/ supervisors don't know how to do the jobs of the employees and seem to cause constant drama and talk down to or about other employees/ insurance is good/ 12 hour shifts with 10min breaks and a 30 min lunch
Pros
insurance and benifits
Cons
supervisors/pay/long shifts
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Kingsport, TNJuly 19, 2017
I've worked as a PCT there for a little over a year now as PRN. I enjoy the people I work with and everyone is very team oriented. I'm not afraid to ask for help when I need it. The pay isn't bad at all as PRN, I tried to go full time after I obtained my CNA certification and I was going to get a pay cut, ended up being lower pay than before I got my CNA. But you win some, you lose some. Overall, it's a great place to work.
Pros
Friendly co workers
Cons
Pay cuts from PRN to full time
Good job skills
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNMay 30, 2017
Loved working there, but management and RN 's treat you like you're nothing. And will put as much work on you as possible. Even doing work that's not your job to do.
Pros
Caring for patients and family6
Cons
Treating bad by management and nurses.
AKA Hellmont
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNApril 12, 2017
This place does not care about their nurses or patients. They are only concerned with making money and working their nurses short. Their management team is under educated and try to turn the staff against eachother. I would move cross country before I would work for this organization again.
Pros
Cons
Degrading work
If you do not have stress, you will finally obtain it here
EKG Technician (Current Employee) –  Kingsport, TNFebruary 26, 2017
A typical day is not good at all hardly.
I learned that the medical field is not what it is cracked up to be especially with the government and insurance companies so involved in everything,
management is terrible.
workplace culture is not one to mention.
hardest part of the job is leaving and knowing you have to come back for the next shift.
most enjoyable part of this job is leaving.
Pros
Cons
everything
fasinating work experience and great call center ecperience
Switchboard Operator (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNMarch 24, 2016
I came to work entered a small room with 3 to 4 other women or men and computers and PBX machines. I would answered over 100+ calls in one shift. Incoming calls from families who needed to be connected to their families. I answered out bound calls from inside the hospital and connected to the appropriate place, I paged any or all hospital staff to for one another. I worked a PBX machine to do all the work. Had to multitask and be able to look up patients in seconds to be able to get to the next call on the board.
Pros
10 days on and 10 days off work schedule
Cons
small work room
Admissions (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNMarch 17, 2016
I worked in the ER (or ED as it's called in the hospital) I worked in the admissions department. I loved it here! The management are amazing here!! Sometimes it was like working in a soap opera depending on who you're working with including doctors and nurses. The rush that you get sometimes from working in Trauma or Acute Care is like no other. If you can't handle seeing blood, guts, or people dying then I wouldn't recommend this be the jobs for you. I loved it though I met some really great people that will always be life long friends of mine.
Pros
employess and management, learning so much
Cons
Unfortantly sometimes you have to see children that have been hurt in some way
Terrible place to work
Nurse. (Former Employee) –  Hospital Bristol TN.March 10, 2016
Typical "big Business " attitude. Do not care about patients or staff , only bottom dollar. The Staff does not matter only their need of you to further their agenda.
Pros
pay is decent
Cons
read review
love working with my boss and the group on D500
RN-ICU stepdown (Current Employee) –  Kingsport, TNSeptember 23, 2015
Management is great, typical day consists of taking care of patients on trach vents, regular vents, BIPAP, CPAP machines etc. Dealing with critical patients.
Holston Valley Emergency Department
Provide Paramedic (Current Employee) –  Kingsport, TNJuly 22, 2015
Paramedic's were brought into the Emergency Department to provide active pre-hospital level care with critical thinking assessments to the patients presenting to the emergency room. Paramedics worked along side nurse's for direct patient care, administering medications and preforming procudures as directed.
Pros
Clinical growth
Cons
Poor upper mangement
hard work
central transport (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNJuly 18, 2015
Worked hard every day,on a time schedule. Learned that people have different needs working in a hospital. Bosses were professional. Co-workers were great. Fast pace all the shift. The needs for other people was a great demand, but it felt nice.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Not really no cons
Productive place to work
Charge RN. Responsibilities (Current Employee) –  Kingsport, TNJune 30, 2015
Great place to start your career as a RN. Great experienced nurses to teach you to be a safe and effective provider. Great leaders as well to provide leadership
Pros
hours, and self scheduling
Cons
short breaks, staffing