Holyoke Public Schools Employee Reviews in United States

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
Excellent leaders and superstar staff facing often overwhelming needs
Elementary Reading Tutor (Current Employee) –  Holyoke, MAMay 30, 2016
Excellent leadership in the principal and one of the two assistant principals. The most enjoyable part of my job is teaching my students, witnessing their often dramatic progress and supervising 2X/week on the Walking School Bus. The hardest part of my job is not having the resources we need to meet the sometimes huge needs of our students. Of course, this leads to being witness to heroic and highly creative solutions from my co-workers. but there is only so much even a building full of superstars can do. in these cases, I am always amazed at what my students choose to do when they determine to rise to the occasion.
Excellent Staff
Early Intervention Coordinator/ Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Holyoke, MAOctober 2, 2015
The varied professionals that I have had the pleasure to work with in my tenure as an ETL in Holyoke have been outstanding. I engage daily with Occupational Therapist, Physical Therapist, Autism Specialist and Speech Pathologists as well as building Principals in order to develop assessments and specialized services for Pre K children throughout the District and in the community.
A nice place to work.
Autism Interventionist (Current Employee) –  Holyoke, MAAugust 19, 2015
There is no room for complacency in this job. Working with many different professionals who want to achieve the same outcome is a plus. Meeting new people and traveling around the district are two of the most enjoyable aspects of the job.
Pros
Day time hours
Cons
Summers off
Great school system to work for
Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  Holyoke, MAJune 17, 2015
Employees were great to get along with and they were very flexible with scheduling and availability. The school system had an excellent retirement plan as well. It was a pleasure working for them as a temporary employee.
Pros
Excellent work environment, great employees.
Cons
High energy workplace and constant movement
Paraprofessional Educator (Current Employee) –  Holyoke, MAMay 15, 2015
A typical day consist of being at the school by 8am - 3am. I have learned to keep my work related stress at work and not take anything home. My supervisors are exceptional with the way they do their job as well as the way they train me and assist me when I have questions regarding my duties. My coworkers are also amazing at what they do, and they are also their for me when I need assistance or have questions. The hardest part of my job is listening to student home back-rounds and not being able to be their directly for them. The most enjoyable park of my job is the ability to teach students how easier but efficient ways to complete work and how to problem solve for them selves.
Pros
Fast paced, always moving and learning new things
Cons
short breaks, cant leave building for lunch
great place with good staff.
Castodian (Former Employee) –  Holyoke, MAApril 1, 2015
start the day by turning alarms off unlocking front and back gates,then make sure all classrooms are up an running.Then I myself would start working outside,mowing weedwacking ect,yhen when sun would go down I would head inside and start helping each guy on each floor depending who needed it more.I think the hardest part of the job was when we had events because we had to do our main work on top of helping with the event but we always got it done.My co-workers were great always helped if I needed a help.The most enjoyable part was break time,I would sit on the top floor with a good view of the connecticut river and eat my lunch.
Pros
Close to my house and beautiful site to work on
Cons
Sometimes carless co-workers who we not doing ther job which meant i had to do there job also.
not satisfactory
Attendance Officer (Former Employee) –  Holyoke MaMarch 10, 2015
Not enough experience in the new administration. They laid off some really good employees. They went to outside sources to shut down positions. to may politcally hirees
exciting
High School Teacher- SpEd, EBD, Social Studies (Current Employee) –  Holyoke, MASeptember 29, 2014
•a typical day at work
•what you learned
•management
•your co-workers
•the hardest part of the job
•the most enjoyable part of the job
Worked Independently with coaching staffs to maintain health and safety of all student athletes participating in interscholastic athletics
Certified Athletic Trainer (Former Employee) –  Holyoke, MAJune 5, 2014
• Provided athletic health care to all students participating on interscholastic athletic teams at William J. Dean Technical High School
• Coordinated medical coverage for all home athletic events and practices
• Evaluated and treated all athletic injuries, made referrals for further medical treatment when needed
• Organized all rehabilitation, pre-season and post-season protocols
• Accurately handled all medical records and daily treatment logbooks as well as individual files for all student athletes
• Organized all pre-participation sports physicals to ensure that each athlete is abiding by the rules set forth by the MIAA
Working with students ranging from grades k - 8th
Long Term Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Holyoke, MAMarch 4, 2014
Working for Morgan Elementary School of Holyoke, Ma, has been a good experience overall. There are many things that I have learned about my city and the people who live in it, and how I was able to further give back and support them with this position. Growing up as a student in this school system, to then work in the same, was quite difficult for me at first, having to create the distinction between the neighbor and the educator with some of the students in my class, but it allowed me to develop certain skills in the educational field as far as class management, group leadership public speaking.
Pros
wonderful opportunity to help assist and be a part of a child's/teen's future.
Cons
short lunches, stressful at times when dealing with misbehavior
Good system
Level I Pediatrics (Former Employee) –  Holyoke, MAJune 24, 2013
Focuses on individualized needs of each child and develops appropriate plans and intervention strategies.
productive ,life experience,fun activities and field trips
Office Clerk/ Outreach Worker (Former Employee) –  Holyoke MaMay 22, 2013
working at the Donahue has been a great experience for me
your greeted with smiles from the students as soon as you walk in
grab a coffee and your busy day begins.answering phones while teachers are asking for copies or something to be faxed while assisting the person on the phone reaching out to collect the materials the teachers need while smiling and nodding at the same time your being paged to the principals office, as soon as you get up from your desk theirs a parent that walks in needing to helped and
late students are arriving you find your self hurrying to issue them their late passes at the same time letting the parent know that i am needed in the principals office and that i will be with her in a few minuets,then head off to the principals office for a small attendance meeting,running back to run off some copies and send out some faxes,call to set up meeting with parents,monitoring students
attendance daily ,keeping track of logs, filing of court papers. and daily data entry. I have learned learned about all the different agencies that can help people in the communities, situation students face at home,court system and their policies,learning about the computer programs on my own,and each person makes a difference at the school.even if that means being more than one person.i have been at the same school for seventeen yrs and lets just say Management is not like it use to be, coworkers for the most part were great but like in every place you get a few you can go with out.
the hardest part of the job is when DYS gets involved ,its not easy seeing a child be taken away
  more... from their family.
the most enjoyable part is watching the children enter kindergarding
and watching them grow , . the best feeling of all is when they come back after they graduate from high schoolit makes you feel proud that you had a partin their lives
Pros
summers off
Cons
having to look for a summer job every year

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Holyoke Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4