Hom Furniture

Hom Furniture Employer Reviews

Company with Potential
Sales Consultant (Current Employee), Sioux CityMay 21, 2014
Each experience with this company is 50/50. There are people who have been employed for 18 years, and there are employees who only survive a few months. Commission makes everything precarious.
Great Place to Work!
Guest Services Lead (Current Employee), Plymouth, MNMay 11, 2014
Pros: pay, great learning experience
Cons: long shifts
I love working in Guest Services at Hom Furniture in Plymouth,MN. It's like being apart of a family.
Toxic environment with very poor management.
Sales (Former Employee), MinneapolisApril 21, 2014
Pros: beautiful surroundings, always on sale, advertise a lot
Cons: long hours, work every weekend, poor management
This is a company that has a huge turnover rate, many years it was as high as 47%. They cannot find enough people to fill the slots and are always hiring, and because of this the management does not invest in training, beware, they have a 1970 computer system, the AS400. It is not a windows based program and many people get very frustrated at its antiquity.

The – more... sales and design staff are paid commission only, (base against commission) but are expected to put in many hours without compensation. You are expected to clean, set up the tent sales, do inventory, attend training and daily meetings, go to deliveries, get after pictures, portfolios, social media and competitions etc., all on your time.

The hours are very long; they can be as long as 15 hours a day when they run their large sales. You will be expected to work way over 40 hours weekly without overtime or reimbursed time. Every week their is a 12 and 10 hour day, only Christmas, Easter, and Thanksgiving off but you will be expected to work an extra day to make it up and help with a sale surrounding it. The company does not offer sick days or personal holidays to their store staff. If you call in sick you can get written up as ground of dismissal. They want you there to cover the floor. They like to stack the store with staff.

The floor is filled with very aggressive and competitive sales people, this is something Hom Furniture encourages. You must meet aggressive quota's in sales and delivery each month as well as their over priced furniture protection insurance called Hom Guard plus. This can cause friction between staff.

They will tell you the potential of earnings however the top earners sell mattresses. Plan on 1/2 the dollar amount you are told. This is a coveted position because of the inequity of earnings. Management is not much concerned however; you will be told you can be easily replaced. The moral is low. – less
Warehouse Manager (Current Employee), Anoka, MNMarch 10, 2014
The coworkers are the best part of this job. Everyone gets along very well. The management team is easy to work with. The owners are very good people and also make the company a great place to work.
Productive work place, busy schedule
Warehouse Associate 2 (Current Employee), Coon Rapids, MNDecember 14, 2013
Cons: bad work schedule, 2:30-11pm, thursday-monday.
Load and unload semi all day, send pieces to multiple stores through HOM throughout MN. Stock warehouse on lift, (Raymond lift). Scan items to keep in computer system through the company/warehouse. Clean warehouse after everything is done.
Little pay for work load
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Coon Rapids, MNNovember 26, 2013
Pros: good company
Cons: drama filled call center, long hours, greety managers, and little pay
$11 an hour as a customer service representative is not worth it. They expect a lot and the work load is tough and made me overwhelmed. Not to mention the 3 big managers in the call center are friends and only care about themselves.
Excellent company to be with.
Delivery Asst.-Driver/ Delivery Router (Former Employee), Coon Rapids, MNOctober 7, 2013
Pros: co-workers, management, and overall workplace environment.
Cons: few. some changes could have been made, but were not necessary to perform as directed.
If the company had not had to change the routing procedures,I believe I would still be there. Stress was kept at a minimum, whenever possible, but my responsibilities remained the same,I was allowed sufficient time to complete the responsibilities. Some pressure at bonus payout reviews, but again time was allowed to assure accuracy, and satisfaction – more... of employees.. – less
A fun place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee), Coon Rapids, MNAugust 23, 2013
The place was fun and really put a effort to please and reward their employees. They really seemed to care about the employees.
The management team was easy to work with.
The co workers were fun to work with.
Helped customers find what they needed!
Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Saint Cloud, MNAugust 4, 2013
I would come into work and then we would have a staff meeting right off the bat. After that we would get prepared for customers to come in and look around. I would find what they needed and then try to sell to them. It was a wonderful experience!
Sales
Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Plymouth, MNFebruary 26, 2013
I sold furniture and furniture accessories. Management left much to be desired.

Ariziu – June 3, 2013

Turned off by the endless interviewing for below living expenses wage. That old DM needs to go.

Good experience
Route Driver (Current Employee), Sioux City, IAFebruary 7, 2013
Hard work builds character
Customer interaction is great
I wish my schedule was a bit more predictable (Never know what time ill be off. I work 10-14 hrs a day)
I enjoyed working with my sister and enjoyed my co-workers
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Coon Rapids, MNNovember 8, 2012
Pros: friendly co-workers
Cons: when needing help going to a lead/manager there were to busy looking at there avon, tupperwareand etc. books. it seemed like they weren't caring about the customers needs.
I enjoyed helping Hom Furniture customers be happy with there new product when a delivery went bad. I was a great customer service rep and had lots of awards to show for my work.
NO Life out side of work.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Coon Rapids, MNSeptember 19, 2012
Cons: really bad health care!
They will tell you only 43 hours a week but it will end up being 47-56 more often than not. They are always asking you to work an extra day and if you say no they just give it to you on the next weeks schedule. I often had 2-3 12 hour days, at least one a week. The manager often only let the people that they go out drinking with take a full break. The – more... rest of us had to only take half a break. If you are planing to work for this company, plan to loose touch with all your friends and miss all family events. They also do late night events where you have to work 9am to 12:30am with only one hour break! – less
Unfair and unrealistic sales opportunities.
Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Bloomington, MNJune 28, 2012
There were a lot of broken promises. Unrealistic goals. Broken promises, unfair sales opportunities.
Fun work day with alot of people interaction
Customer Pick up lead/Delivery team lead (Former Employee), Plymouth, MNJune 4, 2012
Start the day unloading merch. for customer pick-up and stage for adding to inventory. I learned to get a good grasp of customer service, and shipping/receiving. Great crew always willing to lend a hand.