Home Builders Institute Employee Reviews

Very productive
Electrician Trainee (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 12, 2017
this company shows its devotion to its trade on how the people are put to work together as a team and have a safety culture based on the safety of yourself and others in an attempt to keep the environment safe for others who would later join them.
Productive and fast paced workplace culture
Electrical Pre Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJJune 26, 2017
This program helped me have a full understanding of my trade and managed to peruse my career in the Electrical field. I have also learned time management and to take upon leadership roles.
Pros
Free education
Super fun workplace with a wide variety of ethnic backgrounds
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 19, 2017
Not for the faint of heart, only hard dedicated workers who want to further their carpenter careers. The work hours are plentiful and the pay ranging on if your a novice or master can be anywhere from $10 to over $25 an hour. Your schedule can be flexible to meet your daily needs so come apply cause we're always hiring and everyone needs a house..especially in Florida.
wow
Carpentry Trainee (Former Employee) –  Harpers Ferry, WVJune 10, 2017
it was a really nice company that taught me well about carpentry. i was already aware and had skills in the construction field because i was a skilled laborer and worked hard.
i really enjoyed going to work there
Forman Electrician (Current Employee) –  Cassadaga, NYJune 9, 2017
they had tauten all the thing that i need to be very employable as a electrician.
i sowed up for work about an hour early and started work on what i was doing
Pros
it was a trade school
The best place to learn a trade that you'll love.
Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Monroe, VAJune 5, 2017
The HBI was the best overall school when it came to learning your trade and executing every aspect of your trade to perfection.The best part of it was my co-workers and classmates who learned and worked with me. Besides the transition from class and work everyday the hardest part of the job was to not enjoy the work.
Productive work place with great insight and room for growth and development
Electrical Pre-Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Golconda, IL 62938April 29, 2017
I enjoyed working and training under HBI. It was fun but also challenged me. The instructor was very helpful and provided a positive work enviroment..
productive
Student (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJApril 27, 2017
Overall good experience working along side the company and understanding the basic concepts of electrical wiring. I would prefer to another student looking to get into the electrical field
Productive place to work
Construction Plumbing, Pre-Apprentice (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAApril 25, 2017
Really great opportunity if your focused and committed to learning.
a typical day here consist of waking up at 6 and getting strait to work, cleaning up our living quarters, and then after breakfast, we're either working on maintenance and repair on center or doing in class work on the floor or book work.
Interactive Training Program
Facility Maintenance Trainee (Former Employee) –  Defuniak Springs, FL 32435April 21, 2017
The Home Builder's Institute provided me the opportunity to advance my skills in the construction trades by providing me both classroom and hands on training in the basic construction tools, materials, safety, and math requirements of today's trade industry.
mostly good people
irrelevant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 13, 2017
Worked for HBI (a national non-profit training contractor) for 20+ years. For most of those years it had a great family feeling with a lot of genuine caring humans. A change in senior leadership over the last 1/2 dozen years has many employees feeling under-appreciated, like disposable cogs in a machine. Very sad after many people devoted the majority of their career lives to a very worthy cause.
Pros
Many very nice people
Cons
Some uncaring senior management
productive and fun workplace with relatable instructors
Pre-Apprentice Electrical Wiring trainee (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJFebruary 28, 2017
a typical day at work involved getting a blueprint and starting work, no time for slacking. I learned a lot about my electrical trade such as installing, safety in workplace, and trouble shooting problems. the management was small but they knew what they were doing and how to run a large group of trainees. my work shop was large and full of people working on singular projects but the only noise was passing tips and information on to newer students. it was hard at first learning ohms law and theory, but it got easier with the hands on experience. my favorite part was being able to hook up my work and see all the lights come on.
Exceptional Institution
Pre-Apprentice Electrical Training (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAFebruary 3, 2017
Fantastic means of starting any career in home building associated trades. They are very competent instructors with a forte in observing common safety practices.
Unstable grant program
Regional Career Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 1, 2017
I left before they closed down. The conditions were not equivalent to the environment in they wanted work to be done. No leadership guidance or training
not yet wmployed
Pre-Apprenticeship Program (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJanuary 19, 2017
I am not yet employed with this company. I am very interested in having this job. This company appear to be a great company to work for.
Productive And fun Working environment
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Avon Park, FLJanuary 18, 2017
Well it was a good experience it was a trade program that helped me earn lots of certificates and it gave me a lot of knowledge on how how to use power tools and to build things with my hands.
Pros
a lot of certificates which opened the doors to a lot of new opportunities for me
Cons
Hard working in the sun 24/7
Hands on training
Assisted plumbing instructor (Former Employee) –  Brunswick, GADecember 19, 2016
Great hands on opportunity to learn how to master the art of plumbing. Detailed training with heavy instruction and hands on situations.
good hours
Building Construction Technology Instructor (Former Employee) –  Lecanto, FLDecember 3, 2016
class environment not up to standards.no communication with management . this company pays well . does not give you the support needed to do your job.
Pros
local
Cons
envirnment
Training program
Pre-Apprenticeship Certification Training (Former Employee) –  Defuniak Springs, FLNovember 21, 2016
HBI was a positive training program that gave me a good background on construction and the trades. I recommend this program to anyone.
Pros
free trades
Cons
didn't get paid
Its a part of Job Corps
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Brunswick, GAOctober 26, 2016
Job corps help you a lot. They will help you get u a place to stay. If you smoke they will help you stop if you want to. when you ready to leave they will help you build your resume.
Pros
good workers