Home Builders Institute

Home Builders Institute Employee Reviews

a great place where i was able to learn my skills and put them to the test
Maintenance Trainee (Former Employee), Monroe, VAMay 26, 2015
you show up to class and find out what needs to be done for the day get your tools in order and complete the job. MY instructor was amazing he pushed to do your best and beyond. all my classmates/coworkers were awesome they were all hardworking an willing to help one another out. i enjoyed every aspect about learning about the construction industry. i like a good challenge and it was for me at first but i succeeded and become one of the top students of my class.
The workplace is a enojoyable place becasue everyone gets along with each other and everyone gets the job done.
Facility Maintenance (Former Employee), Edinburgh, INMay 20, 2015
What I learn is to hang, finish and patch a drywall. I also learn how to paint such as doors, walls etc. I learned the proper ways to use maintenance of power and hand tools. I can get along with my co-workers because I show that I'm discipline and serious about my job. the most enjoyable part about the job is showing the manager that I have what it takes to become the best employee that he have.
Awesome place.
Carpentry Trainee (Former Employee), Harpers Ferry, WVApril 29, 2015
Awesome place to be productive and very educating to learn and be around people who actually want to work. Great instructor.
Perfect way to learn about construction
HBI per-apprenticeship (Former Employee), Saint Petersburg, FLApril 10, 2015
In these type of job trait you can get to learn about different types roofing,wood and allot of construction related skills
Carpenter Trainee (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 13, 2015
Home Builders Institute (HBI) is a very great and productive place to work. You work with different tools everyday and learn new things.
Work Environment and Living Conditions
Electrical Trainee (Former Employee), Grafton, MaMarch 11, 2015
Pros: everything
Cons: little unorgainized
Was a good place. got three square meals, free education, place to sleep and shower, Also had a great recreation center.
trade school
Facilities Maintenance Trainee (Former Employee), Monroe, VAFebruary 10, 2015
Where it all started from! I love the fact I made a choice to make a difference in my life and went to Old Dominion Job Corps.!
wonderful career field
Facilities Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), Edison, NJFebruary 3, 2015
wonderful staff, safety is a big part of the company. working there for me was a pleasure great people lot of great things to do eg: power wash, temporary platform set-up and take down, carpentry work, plumbing works, tile work. anything to do with the way the industry is growing.
Home builders institute is a great way to further my career opportunities.
Facility Maintenace (Current Employee), Edinburgh, INJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: free education
Cons: too far from home
In my class we have many projects and with the experience and training it is very useful in learning new skills. My instructor is very helpful in teaching everyone in class new tricks of the trade and I enjoy learning new skills.
Loved working with the youth
Regional Career Service Coordinator (Current Employee), Avon Park, FLJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: assisting in making a youths life different
Cons: lack of communication
My typical day at work would start out seeking employment opportunities for the youth in the program. I learned how there are different web sites that can assist young people today seek out employment. Management for the most part needed to be more out going with critical information. my hardest part of the job is working with a youth who feels that there is nothing but street life for them. The most enjoyable would be when a youth who left the program 4 years ago calls you to say they are doing well.
Fun and Different
Administrative Intern (Current Employee), Tampa, FLJanuary 2, 2015
Great experience, learning alot! Great co workers and managers
fun place
Journeyman Electrican (Former Employee), Reno, NvDecember 1, 2014
Installation of panel boxes and breakers. Cut, bend and install EMT conduit. Wire single pole, 3-way, 4-way switches and dimmers. Trace out short circuits. Installed receptacles, switches, GFCI's and lighting fixtures. Troubleshoot and repair HID and Fluorescent fixtures. Used circuit-testing equipment. Wire door bells, alarms, branch circuits and devices. Installation of non-metallic and metallic sheathed cables (ROMEX, MC and BX).
it was ok
plumbing trainee (Former Employee), Chicopee MAOctober 10, 2014
hbi is a vocation training facility where you learn hand on training in your trade. i was the forman of the class.
Productive Place
Maintenance Trainee (Former Employee), Monroe, VASeptember 12, 2014
I had a good an rough time being at home builders institute. We always doing projects around the campus. Facilities Maintenace was my trade there, ive learn the basic things in that trade with maintenance. My instructor was a good teacher, he could explain things very well to the students. The hardest part of the job was working around other people that dont do any work while im working. But i learn just to work around those type of people.
Experienced Painter, Landscaping,Carpentry, , devises and fixtures Plumbing
Experienced Painter, Landscaping (Current Employee), Chicopee, MAAugust 26, 2014
the use of power equipment including 2 cycle machines, , basic wall construction,
Productive and hard working days in the shop
Laborer (Current Employee), Somerset, NJAugust 11, 2014
A typical day consist of getting directions from my instructor and following them out in a safe and timely manner. I learn everything about tools, fixtures, fittings..etc. The hardest part of the day is getting my fellow co-workers to get cleaned up, but the best part of the day is seeing my work come together.
Facilities Maintenance (Former Employee), Hartford, CTJuly 29, 2014
focus on treating employees with respect, encouragement and great support. Listen to the little guys... and they really do know the business of working with 'people'. Not just the contracts and business lost.

Management not so much about the employee, little patience and will fire you in a heart beat. I even witness management firing someone still in training. Twice!! this company is not for the weak or timid!!

Hire leaders and not babysitters. Give credit where credit is due.
fast paste
job corps (Current Employee), Curlew, WAJuly 17, 2014
very fast paste very good with friendly customer service skills
Teamwork
Construction Laborer (Former Employee), Edinburgh, INJune 9, 2014
Pros: free lunces, room and board
Cons: breaks, off on weekends
Enjoyable part of the job is the training on how the workforce is.
HBI