HOME BUILDERS INSTITUTE

HOME BUILDERS INSTITUTE Employer Reviews

Productive and hard working days in the shop
Laborer (Current Employee), Somerset, NJAugust 11, 2014
A typical day consist of getting directions from my instructor and following them out in a safe and timely manner. I learn everything about tools, fixtures, fittings..etc. The hardest part of the day is getting my fellow co-workers to get cleaned up, but the best part of the day is seeing my work come together.
Facilities Maintenance (Former Employee), Hartford, CTJuly 29, 2014
focus on treating employees with respect, encouragement and great support. Listen to the little guys... and they really do know the business of working with 'people'. Not just the contracts and business lost.

Management not so much about the employee, little patience and will fire you in a heart beat. I even witness management firing someone still – more... in training. Twice!! this company is not for the weak or timid!!

Hire leaders and not babysitters. Give credit where credit is due. – less
fast paste
job corps (Current Employee), Curlew, WAJuly 17, 2014
very fast paste very good with friendly customer service skills
Teamwork
Construction Laborer (Former Employee), Edinburgh, INJune 9, 2014
Pros: free lunces, room and board
Cons: breaks, off on weekends
Enjoyable part of the job is the training on how the workforce is.
HBI
Pre Apprentice (Current Employee), Joliet, ILMay 16, 2014
Hours: 8-3:30
Obtained skills in Carpentry
Obtained skills in Plumbing
Obtained skills in Roofing
Very rewarding job
Regional Program Manager (Former Employee), Programs located across FloridaFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: always meeting new people; great benefits, a close knit staff
Cons: long hours, extensive travel away from home.
Managing six programs in locations across Florida.

I was able to develop a deeper understanding of workforce opportunities that support various skills training and placement programs. As a military instructor, I learned several different approach possibilities to reach a larger audience when it came to teaching a wide range of demographics, backgrounds, – more... and barriers.

Staff was awesome with constant training and expansion of offerings to participants.

Travel time was extensive.

Managing and teaching youth, adults, veterans, displaced workers new skills and employability skills and seeing them flourish was the best part. – less
hbi and schooling
Facility Maintenance Trainee (Former Employee), denisen iowaJanuary 30, 2014
what I learn is to fix and maintain a home hardest part was try to do more then I can handle and enjoyable part is people I worked with
It was great to have a instructor to show all you need to know about the the trade you are in.
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 16, 2014
A typical day at work starts off with me speaking and greeting everyone I walked past and see. Then my day begin with working on any given assignment the group is assign. I learn about basic things like the live feed when dealing with electrical, the different type of elbows, fiitings and pipes such as 90 drgree and 45 degree elbow, t- and y- fittings, – more... cpvc, pvc and how to soldering when dealing with copper plumbing. I learned how to brass and the differents between condensing and heat pump units. I learned how to detect a leak in a system and how to solve it. I know how to use power and hand tools. I learned about safety on a ladders and scaffles. I know how to determine what type of refrigerant is in a system. The management at Home Builders Institute is excellent. They show you and explain to you any and every thing possible but they are strict you must come into Home Builders Institute ready to work. My co-workers are just like family we eat togather sometimes and play around a little but when its time to work we get the job done. The hardest part of the job was getting to know people because I was a very shy person but once i opened up and just relaxed everything falled in place. The most enjoyable part of the job to me was working. I love to work day in and day out. Get it done and make it perfect. To go back and look at my work and see its just amazing is the joy I have when I come to work. – less
carpentry
Carpenter Pre-Apprentice (Current Employee), Sacramento, CADecember 13, 2013
1.Educational
2.carpentry
3.Professional
4.weel tought
5.roofing
6.framing
Best place to work, positive and instructional
HVAC/R Service Technician (Former Employee), Brunswick, GANovember 14, 2013
I am able to recover and add refrigerant I can use slings and common rigging hardware, also experienced in installing flexible and ridged duct to vents can demonstrate the proper use of power tools knowledge in changing filters and install/repair duct work compressors and evaporator coils. Able to troubleshoot condensers & read schematic diagrams Proficient – more... in soldering and brazing copper piping Work with great co-workers and supervised by the best and most Intelligent. – less
Very Productive
Pre-Apprentice Painter (Former Employee), Edison, NJNovember 1, 2013
Pros: good experience
Cons: zero tolerance
I enjoy the Hands on work experience and the fact that you are your own boss.
a very educational place to learn a trade
Volunteer (Former Employee), Lynchburg, VASeptember 4, 2013
Pros: all hands on work free of charge
Cons: 5 to 10 minute breaks
I got the certification to be a home builders institute facilities maintenance worker.
Great Experience And Instructor
Apprentice Plumber (Former Employee), Hazleton, PAJune 26, 2013
trade where you leanr things
trade (Former Employee), Edinburgh, INJune 17, 2013
I learned a lot about building and fixing things inside and outside of a house, the hardest part was trying to remember what the tools name where and then most enjoyable part was working with a team of people who were motivated and determined.
poductive and fun work place with a energetic atmosphere
Plumbing Trainee (Current Employee), Chicopee, MAApril 10, 2013
Oer the past 9 months ive been a trainee at the Home Builders Institute and have been granted the privilage of being made forman for the past 7 months and have learned the basics of the plumbing trade in a place where u feel like the work u do is fun and can actually give u a chance to have a career. I've also helped in the training of new trainees – more... that enter the shop. my instructor has been a great help in teaching and showing us the ropes i feel honered to have chosen my trade. – less
homebuilders
Plumber Pre-Apprentice in the following fields (Former Employee), Lopez, PAApril 6, 2013
Pros: it help me learn more in my field
Cons: no pay for all that hard work
..Home-builder was a on job training , I was going to collage for this field and had tot take a on site training. i did plumbing as my training
Hard Working
Pre -Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYFebruary 27, 2013
Pros: hard working
This was the company i was underneath learing to be an electrician. The base that i got from them is amazing.
Willing to learn more and work as hard as i can
Plumbing Trainee (Current Employee), Cassadaga, NYFebruary 5, 2013
Pros: great exprience
Cons: bad pay
My day starts with going to trade work on as many projects as i can. my co workers sre great we all help each other when needed. hardest part of the job is leaving the job.
Ok company to work for its just some of the people.
Electrician Trainee (Former Employee), Lopez, PAFebruary 1, 2013
A typical day is good I learned a lot management could be better;
We are all family
Instructor (Current Employee), Cherokee, NCDecember 25, 2012
Pros: excellent benefits
Cons: high stress job
Home Builders is the best company I have ever worked for. Although the job, working with inner city youth is highly stressful, it is very rewarding. The students are the best part of the job and can also be the hardest part. It is never a dull moment. I have had many opportunities for higher education. I was a carpenter became a teacher.