Home Builders Institute Employee Reviews in United States

Value World Inc. was simple and a great first job.
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, INFebruary 2, 2016
I would arrive and after clocking in I would immediately begin on maintaining the clean and professional look of the store as well as assisting the wants and needs of any and every customer. I developed the sense of working in efficiency with a team. Management was available to my sights seeing as to be a manager all you were required to have is your high school diploma and be 18 years of age or older. Co-workers were almost all in my age group and having that in common made working in unison more simplistic. The hardest part of the job was the mandatory Sunday mark downs that would begin an hour before open time and continue shortly half an hour after business hours began. Sorting and organizing clothes all day to 105.7 Indy's Soft Rock Station.
Pros
Conveniently Located, Maintainable Hours
Cons
Initial pay, $7.25
Great environment and excellent instructor!
Electrical Pre-Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVFebruary 21, 2016
Training with HBI was a great experience. I lived on the Sierra Nevada Job Corps center in Reno, NV and trained as if it was my actual job. It was a professional environment, and every day was full of valuable experience to be learned. I was entrusted to be the Student Shop Foreman, and in that role I really came to know my fellow co-workers/classmates. I learned how to be a leader, and better learned my trade as an Electrician Pre-Apprentice while teaching the new guys. The instructor that I trained under did a fantastic job and I learned everything I needed to before I completed the program. I highly recommend this trade to anyone who attends Sierra Nevada Job Corps.
Regional Career Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLJuly 7, 2016
I enjoyed working with troubled youth and providing youth with the certifications offered by the Home Builder's Institute.
Home Builders institute
Lead Foreman (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TX 75069May 16, 2016
Graduate of the Building Construction Technology Program
Lead Foreman, with the following skill sets;
General Construction, Electrical Principles, Basic HVAC, Plumbing Fundamentals, Carpentry Fundamentals, Landscaping design and Painting techniques
Good overall learning experience
Carpenter Trainee (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 25, 2016
HBI is a pretty good organization to be apart because of the more opportunity that have opened up to me since being apart of the company
Pros
Working down at the Department of Labor
Cons
The learning curve
Very Educated Instructors, Very structured Work Place
Pre-Apprentice plumber / Helper (Former Employee) –  Cassadaga, NYJanuary 22, 2016
My day starts with reading safety precautions with the rest of the aspiring plumbers and our instructor. While attending Cassadaga Job Corps Academy I learned a vast amount of plumbing knowledge that can bring me a long way in this trade. My senior co-workers where very helpful I also helped others any chance I got to do so.
Pros
free housing (dorms), free food.
Cons
very little pay
It was productive as i had learned alot
Maintenance Trainee (Former Employee) –  Monroe, VAJune 15, 2016
It was enjoyable to work as the day went on. As I learned to patch holes in a wall; while after getting done with the wall we tore it down which was fun.
Stay Focused and you can learn alot.
Carpenter Trainee (Former Employee) –  1 DC Village LN SW APT Washington, DC 20032December 8, 2015
Working with H.B.I wasn't difficult at all, you do have to pay attention in order to learn alot as you go. Management was always very good, and my co-workers were very inviting, they didnt show disrespect. The hardest part was ... actually I don't think there was a hard part. My most enjoyable part of the job is getting the job done of course.
Very rewarding job
Regional Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Programs located across FloridaFebruary 28, 2014
Managing six programs in locations across Florida.

I was able to develop a deeper understanding of workforce opportunities that support various skills training and placement programs. As a military instructor, I learned several different approach possibilities to reach a larger audience when it came to teaching a wide range of demographics, backgrounds, and barriers.

Staff was awesome with constant training and expansion of offerings to participants.

Travel time was extensive.

Managing and teaching youth, adults, veterans, displaced workers new skills and employability skills and seeing them flourish was the best part.
Pros
always meeting new people; great benefits, a close knit staff
Cons
long hours, extensive travel away from home.
Great Experience WIth Diverse Cultures
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAMarch 10, 2016
crew leader
finished program a year early
top of my class
Learning to Work on industrial and commercial building
learning to use power tools such as the worm gear driven 77 skill saw
ramset
osha
Leaning
Student (Former Employee) –  Denison Job corpsMarch 25, 2016
HBI has taught me a lot about the construction field. Any day at work is long but here at Denison Job Corps we learn the basics of carpentry eclectic plumbing and HVACR.
A sub contractor training for The Department of Labor
Facilities Maintenence Electrical Instructor (Former Employee) –  South Bronx NY./Chicopee, MAMarch 25, 2012
Awesome job if your a mushroom not for the go getter inspiring type.I have never seen so many dazed,confused and not certain what will be expected in the next half hour people in a group anywhere in my life.Burned out staff just there to be there mentally beyond stressed out. Most of your co workers could not get a job in the field they teach back stab, throw you under the bus to make themselves justified in a second. JOB CORPS CENTERS are managed by very manipulative EXTREMELY greedy large corporations for profit plain and simple.Any sub contractor hired to train vocational skills to students for THE DEPARTMENT OF LABOR is squeezed of every copper penny they can justify.An instructor is not even a pawn in their manipulative game of profiting play along or we can and will make your life miserable and that they did.Sub contracted trainers like HBI have to play by their guidelines whatever they are or they are out.
Pros
good pay and benifits package
Cons
stress mushroom type people, constantly under fire stress 24/7
Excellent Place to Work!
Maintenance Helper (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, MDDecember 21, 2015
I learned how to Drywall, and how to paint. The most enjoyable part of the job was working together with my team. My co-workers were wonderful people to be around.
Quality Home Building
Pre-Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Golconda, ILNovember 11, 2015
My time with Home Builders Institute allowed me to gain field experience as a residential electrician. I performed general electrical work, such as electrical systems installation and repair.
We are all family
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Cherokee, NCDecember 25, 2012
Home Builders is the best company I have ever worked for. Although the job, working with inner city youth is highly stressful, it is very rewarding. The students are the best part of the job and can also be the hardest part. It is never a dull moment. I have had many opportunities for higher education. I was a carpenter became a teacher.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
high stress job
loved working with students
Plumbing instructor (Former Employee) –  Mckinney, TX.October 12, 2015
the over all experience was great but backing own employees is not great. they have some good morals but need to focus more on employee satisfaction and listen more to what they have too say.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
listening to there employees and too much politicial bs
a great place where i was able to learn my skills and put them to the test
Maintenance Trainee (Former Employee) –  Monroe, VAMay 26, 2015
you show up to class and find out what needs to be done for the day get your tools in order and complete the job. MY instructor was amazing he pushed to do your best and beyond. all my classmates/coworkers were awesome they were all hardworking an willing to help one another out. i enjoyed every aspect about learning about the construction industry. i like a good challenge and it was for me at first but i succeeded and become one of the top students of my class.
Construction Trades
ATE Instructor (Former Employee) –  Clearfield Job CoreJuly 9, 2015
Enjoyed teaching construction skills to students and seeing there hands on projects to completion. Choosing projects and helping teams learn different trades and developing skills. Loved Teaching!!!
Pros
Instructors in the team, Students, Progress with student teams
Cons
Budget Cuts, some students needing mental health counseling under deep stress.
The workplace is a enojoyable place becasue everyone gets along with each other and everyone gets the job done.
Facility Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, INMay 20, 2015
What I learn is to hang, finish and patch a drywall. I also learn how to paint such as doors, walls etc. I learned the proper ways to use maintenance of power and hand tools. I can get along with my co-workers because I show that I'm discipline and serious about my job. the most enjoyable part about the job is showing the manager that I have what it takes to become the best employee that he have.
Loved working with the youth
Regional Career Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Avon Park, FLJanuary 6, 2015
My typical day at work would start out seeking employment opportunities for the youth in the program. I learned how there are different web sites that can assist young people today seek out employment. Management for the most part needed to be more out going with critical information. my hardest part of the job is working with a youth who feels that there is nothing but street life for them. The most enjoyable would be when a youth who left the program 4 years ago calls you to say they are doing well.
Pros
assisting in making a youths life different
Cons
lack of communication

4.3