Home Builders Institute Employee Reviews

Wonderful experience
Regional Career Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sheridan, IL 60551September 28, 2016
While the annual salaries & yearly increases are fairly under the national average, I thoroughly enjoyed working for HBI. A non-profit organization with a great goal and business structure.
Pros
A job that let me grow
Cons
Salary
Exceptional Institution
Pre-Apprentice Electrical Training (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAFebruary 3, 2017
Fantastic means of starting any career in home building associated trades. They are very competent instructors with a forte in observing common safety practices.
Productive And fun Working environment
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Avon Park, FLJanuary 18, 2017
Well it was a good experience it was a trade program that helped me earn lots of certificates and it gave me a lot of knowledge on how how to use power tools and to build things with my hands.
Pros
a lot of certificates which opened the doors to a lot of new opportunities for me
Cons
Hard working in the sun 24/7
good hours
Building Construction Technology Instructor (Former Employee) –  Lecanto, FLDecember 3, 2016
class environment not up to standards.no communication with management . this company pays well . does not give you the support needed to do your job.
Pros
local
Cons
envirnment
Description of my job and co workers and what I enjoy most about it .
Trainee (Current Employee) –  Monroe, VAAugust 1, 2016
A typical day at work would be my co workers and I tending to service calls . We have worked and accomplished numerous hands on jobs like installing and fixing sinks ,toilets , water heaters ,running/designing water lines and installing and repairing air condition . My Co workers are all very hard working and there desire to be successful is only contagious. The hardest part of my job is when we are on a call and a customer might be unaware and non initially misleading on what exactly the problem may be . The most enjoyable part of my job is the team work my co-workers and I have because we are all awesome motivators and our chemistry is truly unique .
Productive, self paced learning environment
Building Construction Technology Trainee (Current Employee) –  Joliet, ILOctober 13, 2016
The Home Builder's Institute is a self paced learning institute. They teach you a lot of subjects in the Construction/Maintenance field such as safety/OSHA, Plumbing, Basic Electrical, Window/Door installation, ect. great place to learn these hands on skills for the workforce.
Pros
Hands on learning, trade related projects on center.
not yet wmployed
Pre-Apprenticeship Program (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJanuary 19, 2017
I am not yet employed with this company. I am very interested in having this job. This company appear to be a great company to work for.
Productive and self paced Pre appenticeship program
Electrician Trainee (Former Employee) –  Monroe, VASeptember 12, 2016
A great instructor teaching us the the ins and outs of the electrical field, from wiring switches, lights, and receptacles, to Rj-45 and coaxial cables ,emergency lights, Ceiling lights in drop ceilings and various other projects around the center. As well as pulling wire, tracing panels, and creating raceways to run the wire.
Pros
Free lunches, breaks, and a safety guided instructor
Training program
Pre-Apprenticeship Certification Training (Former Employee) –  Defuniak Springs, FLNovember 21, 2016
HBI was a positive training program that gave me a good background on construction and the trades. I recommend this program to anyone.
Pros
free trades
Cons
didn't get paid
Unstable grant program
Regional Career Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 1, 2017
I left before they closed down. The conditions were not equivalent to the environment in they wanted work to be done. No leadership guidance or training
Hands on training
Assisted plumbing instructor (Former Employee) –  Brunswick, GADecember 19, 2016
Great hands on opportunity to learn how to master the art of plumbing. Detailed training with heavy instruction and hands on situations.
Very rewarding job
Regional Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Programs located across FloridaFebruary 28, 2014
Managing six programs in locations across Florida.

I was able to develop a deeper understanding of workforce opportunities that support various skills training and placement programs. As a military instructor, I learned several different approach possibilities to reach a larger audience when it came to teaching a wide range of demographics, backgrounds, and barriers.

Staff was awesome with constant training and expansion of offerings to participants.

Travel time was extensive.

Managing and teaching youth, adults, veterans, displaced workers new skills and employability skills and seeing them flourish was the best part.
Pros
Always meeting new people; Great benefits, a close knit staff
Cons
Long hours, extensive travel away from home.
Its a part of Job Corps
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Brunswick, GAOctober 26, 2016
Job corps help you a lot. They will help you get u a place to stay. If you smoke they will help you stop if you want to. when you ready to leave they will help you build your resume.
Pros
good workers
great workplace
Line Trimmer (Former Employee) –  Okeechobee, FLOctober 19, 2016
Always a blast at work never had any problems with co-workers. Easy hours never had to work crazy long shifts like a lot of places. Would go back if I could.
A sub contractor training for The Department of Labor
Facilities Maintenence Electrical Instructor (Former Employee) –  South Bronx NY./Chicopee, MAMarch 25, 2012
Awesome job if your a mushroom not for the go getter inspiring type.I have never seen so many dazed,confused and not certain what will be expected in the next half hour people in a group anywhere in my life.Burned out staff just there to be there mentally beyond stressed out. Most of your co workers could not get a job in the field they teach back stab, throw you under the bus to make themselves justified in a second. JOB CORPS CENTERS are managed by very manipulative EXTREMELY greedy large corporations for profit plain and simple.Any sub contractor hired to train vocational skills to students for THE DEPARTMENT OF LABOR is squeezed of every copper penny they can justify.An instructor is not even a pawn in their manipulative game of profiting play along or we can and will make your life miserable and that they did.Sub contracted trainers like HBI have to play by their guidelines whatever they are or they are out.
Pros
good pay and benifits package
Cons
stress mushroom type people, constantly under fire stress 24/7
Value World Inc. was simple and a great first job.
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, INFebruary 2, 2016
I would arrive and after clocking in I would immediately begin on maintaining the clean and professional look of the store as well as assisting the wants and needs of any and every customer. I developed the sense of working in efficiency with a team. Management was available to my sights seeing as to be a manager all you were required to have is your high school diploma and be 18 years of age or older. Co-workers were almost all in my age group and having that in common made working in unison more simplistic. The hardest part of the job was the mandatory Sunday mark downs that would begin an hour before open time and continue shortly half an hour after business hours began. Sorting and organizing clothes all day to 105.7 Indy's Soft Rock Station.
Pros
Conveniently Located, Maintainable Hours
Cons
Initial pay, $7.25
Regional Career Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLJuly 7, 2016
I enjoyed working with troubled youth and providing youth with the certifications offered by the Home Builder's Institute.
Great environment and excellent instructor!
Electrical Pre-Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVFebruary 21, 2016
Training with HBI was a great experience. I lived on the Sierra Nevada Job Corps center in Reno, NV and trained as if it was my actual job. It was a professional environment, and every day was full of valuable experience to be learned. I was entrusted to be the Student Shop Foreman, and in that role I really came to know my fellow co-workers/classmates. I learned how to be a leader, and better learned my trade as an Electrician Pre-Apprentice while teaching the new guys. The instructor that I trained under did a fantastic job and I learned everything I needed to before I completed the program. I highly recommend this trade to anyone who attends Sierra Nevada Job Corps.
Good overall learning experience
Carpenter Trainee (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 25, 2016
HBI is a pretty good organization to be apart because of the more opportunity that have opened up to me since being apart of the company
Pros
Working down at the Department of Labor
Cons
The learning curve
It was productive as i had learned alot
Maintenance Trainee (Former Employee) –  Monroe, VAJune 15, 2016
It was enjoyable to work as the day went on. As I learned to patch holes in a wall; while after getting done with the wall we tore it down which was fun.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Builders Institute. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5