Home Builders Institute Employee Reviews

productive and fun workplace with relatable instructors
Pre-Apprentice Electrical Wiring trainee (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJFebruary 28, 2017
a typical day at work involved getting a blueprint and starting work, no time for slacking. I learned a lot about my electrical trade such as installing, safety in workplace, and trouble shooting problems. the management was small but they knew what they were doing and how to run a large group of trainees. my work shop was large and full of people working on singular projects but the only noise was passing tips and information on to newer students. it was hard at first learning ohms law and theory, but it got easier with the hands on experience. my favorite part was being able to hook up my work and see all the lights come on.
Exceptional Institution
Pre-Apprentice Electrical Training (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAFebruary 3, 2017
Fantastic means of starting any career in home building associated trades. They are very competent instructors with a forte in observing common safety practices.
Unstable grant program
Regional Career Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 1, 2017
I left before they closed down. The conditions were not equivalent to the environment in they wanted work to be done. No leadership guidance or training
not yet wmployed
Pre-Apprenticeship Program (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJanuary 19, 2017
I am not yet employed with this company. I am very interested in having this job. This company appear to be a great company to work for.
Productive And fun Working environment
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Avon Park, FLJanuary 18, 2017
Well it was a good experience it was a trade program that helped me earn lots of certificates and it gave me a lot of knowledge on how how to use power tools and to build things with my hands.
Pros
a lot of certificates which opened the doors to a lot of new opportunities for me
Cons
Hard working in the sun 24/7
Hands on training
Assisted plumbing instructor (Former Employee) –  Brunswick, GADecember 19, 2016
Great hands on opportunity to learn how to master the art of plumbing. Detailed training with heavy instruction and hands on situations.
good hours
Building Construction Technology Instructor (Former Employee) –  Lecanto, FLDecember 3, 2016
class environment not up to standards.no communication with management . this company pays well . does not give you the support needed to do your job.
Pros
local
Cons
envirnment
Training program
Pre-Apprenticeship Certification Training (Former Employee) –  Defuniak Springs, FLNovember 21, 2016
HBI was a positive training program that gave me a good background on construction and the trades. I recommend this program to anyone.
Pros
free trades
Cons
didn't get paid
Its a part of Job Corps
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Brunswick, GAOctober 26, 2016
Job corps help you a lot. They will help you get u a place to stay. If you smoke they will help you stop if you want to. when you ready to leave they will help you build your resume.
Pros
good workers
great workplace
Line Trimmer (Former Employee) –  Okeechobee, FLOctober 19, 2016
Always a blast at work never had any problems with co-workers. Easy hours never had to work crazy long shifts like a lot of places. Would go back if I could.
Productive, self paced learning environment
Building Construction Technology Trainee (Current Employee) –  Joliet, ILOctober 13, 2016
The Home Builder's Institute is a self paced learning institute. They teach you a lot of subjects in the Construction/Maintenance field such as safety/OSHA, Plumbing, Basic Electrical, Window/Door installation, ect. great place to learn these hands on skills for the workforce.
Pros
Hands on learning, trade related projects on center.
Wonderful experience
Regional Career Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sheridan, IL 60551September 28, 2016
While the annual salaries & yearly increases are fairly under the national average, I thoroughly enjoyed working for HBI. A non-profit organization with a great goal and business structure.
Pros
A job that let me grow
Cons
Salary
Productive and self paced Pre appenticeship program
Electrician Trainee (Former Employee) –  Monroe, VASeptember 12, 2016
A great instructor teaching us the the ins and outs of the electrical field, from wiring switches, lights, and receptacles, to Rj-45 and coaxial cables ,emergency lights, Ceiling lights in drop ceilings and various other projects around the center. As well as pulling wire, tracing panels, and creating raceways to run the wire.
Pros
Free lunches, breaks, and a safety guided instructor
Description of my job and co workers and what I enjoy most about it .
Trainee (Current Employee) –  Monroe, VAAugust 1, 2016
A typical day at work would be my co workers and I tending to service calls . We have worked and accomplished numerous hands on jobs like installing and fixing sinks ,toilets , water heaters ,running/designing water lines and installing and repairing air condition . My Co workers are all very hard working and there desire to be successful is only contagious. The hardest part of my job is when we are on a call and a customer might be unaware and non initially misleading on what exactly the problem may be . The most enjoyable part of my job is the team work my co-workers and I have because we are all awesome motivators and our chemistry is truly unique .
Regional Career Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLJuly 7, 2016
I enjoyed working with troubled youth and providing youth with the certifications offered by the Home Builder's Institute.
It was productive as i had learned alot
Maintenance Trainee (Former Employee) –  Monroe, VAJune 15, 2016
It was enjoyable to work as the day went on. As I learned to patch holes in a wall; while after getting done with the wall we tore it down which was fun.
Good overall learning experience
Carpenter Trainee (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 25, 2016
HBI is a pretty good organization to be apart because of the more opportunity that have opened up to me since being apart of the company
Pros
Working down at the Department of Labor
Cons
The learning curve
Home Builders institute
Lead Foreman (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TX 75069May 16, 2016
Graduate of the Building Construction Technology Program
Lead Foreman, with the following skill sets;
General Construction, Electrical Principles, Basic HVAC, Plumbing Fundamentals, Carpentry Fundamentals, Landscaping design and Painting techniques
Leaning
Student (Former Employee) –  Denison Job corpsMarch 25, 2016
HBI has taught me a lot about the construction field. Any day at work is long but here at Denison Job Corps we learn the basics of carpentry eclectic plumbing and HVACR.
Great Experience WIth Diverse Cultures
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAMarch 10, 2016
crew leader
finished program a year early
top of my class
Learning to Work on industrial and commercial building
learning to use power tools such as the worm gear driven 77 skill saw
ramset
osha

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Home Builders Institute. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5