Home Builders Institute

Home Builders Institute Employer Reviews

Home builders institute is a great way to further my career opportunities.
Facility Maintenace (Current Employee), Edinburgh, INJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: free education
Cons: too far from home
In my class we have many projects and with the experience and training it is very useful in learning new skills. My instructor is very helpful in teaching everyone in class new tricks of the trade and I enjoy learning new skills.
Loved working with the youth
Regional Career Service Coordinator (Current Employee), Avon Park, FLJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: assisting in making a youths life different
Cons: lack of communication
My typical day at work would start out seeking employment opportunities for the youth in the program. I learned how there are different web sites that can assist young people today seek out employment. Management for the most part needed to be more out going with critical information. my hardest part of the job is working with a youth who feels that there is nothing but street life for them. The most enjoyable would be when a youth who left the program 4 years ago calls you to say they are doing well.
Fun and Different
Administrative Intern (Current Employee), Tampa, FLJanuary 2, 2015
Great experience, learning alot! Great co workers and managers
fun place
Journeyman Electrican (Former Employee), Reno, NvDecember 1, 2014
Installation of panel boxes and breakers. Cut, bend and install EMT conduit. Wire single pole, 3-way, 4-way switches and dimmers. Trace out short circuits. Installed receptacles, switches, GFCI's and lighting fixtures. Troubleshoot and repair HID and Fluorescent fixtures. Used circuit-testing equipment. Wire door bells, alarms, branch circuits and devices. Installation of non-metallic and metallic sheathed cables (ROMEX, MC and BX).
it was ok
plumbing trainee (Former Employee), Chicopee MAOctober 10, 2014
hbi is a vocation training facility where you learn hand on training in your trade. i was the forman of the class.
Productive Place
Maintenance Trainee (Former Employee), Monroe, VASeptember 12, 2014
I had a good an rough time being at home builders institute. We always doing projects around the campus. Facilities Maintenace was my trade there, ive learn the basic things in that trade with maintenance. My instructor was a good teacher, he could explain things very well to the students. The hardest part of the job was working around other people that dont do any work while im working. But i learn just to work around those type of people.
Experienced Painter, Landscaping,Carpentry, , devises and fixtures Plumbing
Experienced Painter, Landscaping (Current Employee), Chicopee, MAAugust 26, 2014
the use of power equipment including 2 cycle machines, , basic wall construction,
Productive and hard working days in the shop
Laborer (Current Employee), Somerset, NJAugust 11, 2014
A typical day consist of getting directions from my instructor and following them out in a safe and timely manner. I learn everything about tools, fixtures, fittings..etc. The hardest part of the day is getting my fellow co-workers to get cleaned up, but the best part of the day is seeing my work come together.
Facilities Maintenance (Former Employee), Hartford, CTJuly 29, 2014
focus on treating employees with respect, encouragement and great support. Listen to the little guys... and they really do know the business of working with 'people'. Not just the contracts and business lost.

Management not so much about the employee, little patience and will fire you in a heart beat. I even witness management firing someone still in training. Twice!! this company is not for the weak or timid!!

Hire leaders and not babysitters. Give credit where credit is due.
fast paste
job corps (Current Employee), Curlew, WAJuly 17, 2014
very fast paste very good with friendly customer service skills
Teamwork
Construction Laborer (Former Employee), Edinburgh, INJune 9, 2014
Pros: free lunces, room and board
Cons: breaks, off on weekends
Enjoyable part of the job is the training on how the workforce is.
HBI
Pre Apprentice (Current Employee), Joliet, ILMay 16, 2014
Hours: 8-3:30
Obtained skills in Carpentry
Obtained skills in Plumbing
Obtained skills in Roofing
hbi and schooling
Facility Maintenance Trainee (Former Employee), denisen iowaJanuary 30, 2014
what I learn is to fix and maintain a home hardest part was try to do more then I can handle and enjoyable part is people I worked with
It was great to have a instructor to show all you need to know about the the trade you are in.
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 16, 2014
A typical day at work starts off with me speaking and greeting everyone I walked past and see. Then my day begin with working on any given assignment the group is assign. I learn about basic things like the live feed when dealing with electrical, the different type of elbows, fiitings and pipes such as 90 drgree and 45 degree elbow, t- and y- fittings, cpvc, pvc and how to soldering when dealing with copper plumbing. I learned how to brass and the differents between condensing and heat pump units. I learned how to detect a leak in a system and how to solve it. I know how to use power and hand tools. I learned about safety on a ladders and scaffles. I know how to determine what type of refrigerant is in a system. The management at Home Builders Institute is excellent. They show you and explain to you any and every thing possible but they are strict you must come into Home Builders Institute ready to work. My co-workers are just like family we eat togather sometimes and play around a little but when its time to work we get the job done. The hardest part of the job was getting to know people because I was a very shy person but once i opened up and just relaxed everything falled in place. The most enjoyable part of the job to me was working. I love to work day in and day out. Get it done and make it perfect. To go back and look at my work and see its just amazing is the joy I have when I come to work.
carpentry
Carpenter Pre-Apprentice (Current Employee), Sacramento, CADecember 13, 2013
1.Educational
2.carpentry
3.Professional
4.weel tought
5.roofing
6.framing
Best place to work, positive and instructional
HVAC/R Service Technician (Former Employee), Brunswick, GANovember 14, 2013
I am able to recover and add refrigerant I can use slings and common rigging hardware, also experienced in installing flexible and ridged duct to vents can demonstrate the proper use of power tools knowledge in changing filters and install/repair duct work compressors and evaporator coils. Able to troubleshoot condensers & read schematic diagrams Proficient in soldering and brazing copper piping Work with great co-workers and supervised by the best and most Intelligent.
Very Productive
Pre-Apprentice Painter (Former Employee), Edison, NJNovember 1, 2013
Pros: good experience
Cons: zero tolerance
I enjoy the Hands on work experience and the fact that you are your own boss.
a very educational place to learn a trade
Volunteer (Former Employee), Lynchburg, VASeptember 4, 2013
Pros: all hands on work free of charge
Cons: 5 to 10 minute breaks
I got the certification to be a home builders institute facilities maintenance worker.
Productive and family provibe environment
HVAC MANAGER (Current Employee), AtlantaAugust 2, 2013
Pros: free lunch
Cons: n/a
Great Experience And Instructor