Home Builders Institute Employee Reviews

Value World Inc. was simple and a great first job.
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, INFebruary 2, 2016
I would arrive and after clocking in I would immediately begin on maintaining the clean and professional look of the store as well as assisting the wants and needs of any and every customer. I developed the sense of working in efficiency with a team. Management was available to my sights seeing as to be a manager all you were required to have is your high school diploma and be 18 years of age or older. Co-workers were almost all in my age group and having that in common made working in unison more simplistic. The hardest part of the job was the mandatory Sunday mark downs that would begin an hour before open time and continue shortly half an hour after business hours began. Sorting and organizing clothes all day to 105.7 Indy's Soft Rock Station.
Pros
Conveniently Located, Maintainable Hours
Cons
Initial pay, $7.25
Very Educated Instructors, Very structured Work Place
Pre-Apprentice plumber / Helper (Former Employee) –  Cassadaga, NYJanuary 22, 2016
My day starts with reading safety precautions with the rest of the aspiring plumbers and our instructor. While attending Cassadaga Job Corps Academy I learned a vast amount of plumbing knowledge that can bring me a long way in this trade. My senior co-workers where very helpful I also helped others any chance I got to do so.
Pros
free housing (dorms), free food.
Cons
very little pay
Excellent Place to Work!
Maintenance Helper (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, MDDecember 21, 2015
I learned how to Drywall, and how to paint. The most enjoyable part of the job was working together with my team. My co-workers were wonderful people to be around.
Stay Focused and you can learn alot.
Carpenter Trainee (Former Employee) –  1 DC Village LN SW APT Washington, DC 20032December 8, 2015
Working with H.B.I wasn't difficult at all, you do have to pay attention in order to learn alot as you go. Management was always very good, and my co-workers were very inviting, they didnt show disrespect. The hardest part was ... actually I don't think there was a hard part. My most enjoyable part of the job is getting the job done of course.
Quality Home Building
Pre-Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Golconda, ILNovember 11, 2015
My time with Home Builders Institute allowed me to gain field experience as a residential electrician. I performed general electrical work, such as electrical systems installation and repair.
loved working with students
Plumbing instructor (Former Employee) –  Mckinney, TX.October 12, 2015
the over all experience was great but backing own employees is not great. they have some good morals but need to focus more on employee satisfaction and listen more to what they have too say.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
listening to there employees and too much politicial bs
Construction Trades
ATE Instructor (Former Employee) –  Clearfield Job CoreJuly 9, 2015
Enjoyed teaching construction skills to students and seeing there hands on projects to completion. Choosing projects and helping teams learn different trades and developing skills. Loved Teaching!!!
Pros
Instructors in the team, Students, Progress with student teams
Cons
Budget Cuts, some students needing mental health counseling under deep stress.
a great place where i was able to learn my skills and put them to the test
Maintenance Trainee (Former Employee) –  Monroe, VAMay 26, 2015
you show up to class and find out what needs to be done for the day get your tools in order and complete the job. MY instructor was amazing he pushed to do your best and beyond. all my classmates/coworkers were awesome they were all hardworking an willing to help one another out. i enjoyed every aspect about learning about the construction industry. i like a good challenge and it was for me at first but i succeeded and become one of the top students of my class.
The workplace is a enojoyable place becasue everyone gets along with each other and everyone gets the job done.
Facility Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, INMay 20, 2015
What I learn is to hang, finish and patch a drywall. I also learn how to paint such as doors, walls etc. I learned the proper ways to use maintenance of power and hand tools. I can get along with my co-workers because I show that I'm discipline and serious about my job. the most enjoyable part about the job is showing the manager that I have what it takes to become the best employee that he have.
Awesome place.
Carpentry Trainee (Former Employee) –  Harpers Ferry, WVApril 29, 2015
Awesome place to be productive and very educating to learn and be around people who actually want to work. Great instructor.
Perfect way to learn about construction
HBI per-apprenticeship (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLApril 10, 2015
In these type of job trait you can get to learn about different types roofing,wood and allot of construction related skills
Carpenter Trainee (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 13, 2015
Home Builders Institute (HBI) is a very great and productive place to work. You work with different tools everyday and learn new things.
Work Environment and Living Conditions
Electrical Trainee (Former Employee) –  Grafton, MaMarch 11, 2015
Was a good place. got three square meals, free education, place to sleep and shower, Also had a great recreation center.
Pros
everything
Cons
little unorgainized
trade school
Facilities Maintenance Trainee (Former Employee) –  Monroe, VAFebruary 10, 2015
Where it all started from! I love the fact I made a choice to make a difference in my life and went to Old Dominion Job Corps.!
wonderful career field
Facilities Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJFebruary 3, 2015
wonderful staff, safety is a big part of the company. working there for me was a pleasure great people lot of great things to do eg: power wash, temporary platform set-up and take down, carpentry work, plumbing works, tile work. anything to do with the way the industry is growing.
Home builders institute is a great way to further my career opportunities.
Facility Maintenace (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, INJanuary 17, 2015
In my class we have many projects and with the experience and training it is very useful in learning new skills. My instructor is very helpful in teaching everyone in class new tricks of the trade and I enjoy learning new skills.
Pros
free education
Cons
too far from home
Loved working with the youth
Regional Career Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Avon Park, FLJanuary 6, 2015
My typical day at work would start out seeking employment opportunities for the youth in the program. I learned how there are different web sites that can assist young people today seek out employment. Management for the most part needed to be more out going with critical information. my hardest part of the job is working with a youth who feels that there is nothing but street life for them. The most enjoyable would be when a youth who left the program 4 years ago calls you to say they are doing well.
Pros
assisting in making a youths life different
Cons
lack of communication
Fun and Different
Administrative Intern (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 2, 2015
Great experience, learning alot! Great co workers and managers
fun place
Journeyman Electrican (Former Employee) –  Reno, NvDecember 1, 2014
Installation of panel boxes and breakers. Cut, bend and install EMT conduit. Wire single pole, 3-way, 4-way switches and dimmers. Trace out short circuits. Installed receptacles, switches, GFCI's and lighting fixtures. Troubleshoot and repair HID and Fluorescent fixtures. Used circuit-testing equipment. Wire door bells, alarms, branch circuits and devices. Installation of non-metallic and metallic sheathed cables (ROMEX, MC and BX).
it was ok
plumbing trainee (Former Employee) –  Chicopee MAOctober 10, 2014
hbi is a vocation training facility where you learn hand on training in your trade. i was the forman of the class.

4.5