Home Builders Institute Employee Reviews

It was great to have a instructor to show all you need to know about the the trade you are in.
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 16, 2014
A typical day at work starts off with me speaking and greeting everyone I walked past and see. Then my day begin with working on any given assignment the group is assign. I learn about basic things like the live feed when dealing with electrical, the different type of elbows, fiitings and pipes such as 90 drgree and 45 degree elbow, t- and y- fittings, cpvc, pvc and how to soldering when dealing with copper plumbing. I learned how to brass and the differents between condensing and heat pump units. I learned how to detect a leak in a system and how to solve it. I know how to use power and hand tools. I learned about safety on a ladders and scaffles. I know how to determine what type of refrigerant is in a system. The management at Home Builders Institute is excellent. They show you and explain to you any and every thing possible but they are strict you must come into Home Builders Institute ready to work. My co-workers are just like family we eat togather sometimes and play around a little but when its time to work we get the job done. The hardest part of the job was getting to know people because I was a very shy person but once i opened up and just relaxed everything falled in place. The most enjoyable part of the job to me was working. I love to work day in and day out. Get it done and make it perfect. To go back and look at my work and see its just amazing is the joy I have when I come to work.
Productive and family provibe environment
HVAC MANAGER (Current Employee) –  AtlantaAugust 2, 2013
Pros
free lunch
Cons
n/a
A sub contractor training for The Department of Labor
Facilities Maintenence Electrical Instructor (Former Employee) –  South Bronx NY./Chicopee, MAMarch 25, 2012
Awesome job if your a mushroom not for the go getter inspiring type.I have never seen so many dazed,confused and not certain what will be expected in the next half hour people in a group anywhere in my life.Burned out staff just there to be there mentally beyond stressed out. Most of your co workers could not get a job in the field they teach back stab, throw you under the bus to make themselves justified in a second. JOB CORPS CENTERS are managed by very manipulative EXTREMELY greedy large corporations for profit plain and simple.Any sub contractor hired to train vocational skills to students for THE DEPARTMENT OF LABOR is squeezed of every copper penny they can justify.An instructor is not even a pawn in their manipulative game of profiting play along or we can and will make your life miserable and that they did.Sub contracted trainers like HBI have to play by their guidelines whatever they are or they are out.
Pros
good pay and benifits package
Cons
stress mushroom type people, constantly under fire stress 24/7
Value World Inc. was simple and a great first job.
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, INFebruary 2, 2016
I would arrive and after clocking in I would immediately begin on maintaining the clean and professional look of the store as well as assisting the wants and needs of any and every customer. I developed the sense of working in efficiency with a team. Management was available to my sights seeing as to be a manager all you were required to have is your high school diploma and be 18 years of age or older. Co-workers were almost all in my age group and having that in common made working in unison more simplistic. The hardest part of the job was the mandatory Sunday mark downs that would begin an hour before open time and continue shortly half an hour after business hours began. Sorting and organizing clothes all day to 105.7 Indy's Soft Rock Station.
Pros
Conveniently Located, Maintainable Hours
Cons
Initial pay, $7.25
Very rewarding job
Regional Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Programs located across FloridaFebruary 28, 2014
Managing six programs in locations across Florida.

I was able to develop a deeper understanding of workforce opportunities that support various skills training and placement programs. As a military instructor, I learned several different approach possibilities to reach a larger audience when it came to teaching a wide range of demographics, backgrounds, and barriers.

Staff was awesome with constant training and expansion of offerings to participants.

Travel time was extensive.

Managing and teaching youth, adults, veterans, displaced workers new skills and employability skills and seeing them flourish was the best part.
Pros
always meeting new people; great benefits, a close knit staff
Cons
long hours, extensive travel away from home.
Productive and great workplace.
Landscaping (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, MDJuly 2, 2012
Work would start at 8:30pm with Monday Morning Safety Meeting with one of the Landscaping Students reading out of the Safety Book. Then it is after the Safety Meeting all the Landscaping Students would get their work orders from our teacher then get to work. What we as the Landscaping students is that we have to maintain the centers grounds. We all do mange the work and other people when it is time to clean the tools that are used. The hardest part of the groundsmaintance is keeping the grass cut and the bushes even. The most enjoyable part of the job as a Landscaping student is the two breaks we get.
Pros
hard working landscaping student.
Cons
two 15 minutes breaks. one in the morning and afternoon.
Loved working with the youth
Regional Career Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Avon Park, FLJanuary 6, 2015
My typical day at work would start out seeking employment opportunities for the youth in the program. I learned how there are different web sites that can assist young people today seek out employment. Management for the most part needed to be more out going with critical information. my hardest part of the job is working with a youth who feels that there is nothing but street life for them. The most enjoyable would be when a youth who left the program 4 years ago calls you to say they are doing well.
Pros
assisting in making a youths life different
Cons
lack of communication
Best place to work, positive and instructional
HVAC/R Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Brunswick, GANovember 14, 2013
I am able to recover and add refrigerant I can use slings and common rigging hardware, also experienced in installing flexible and ridged duct to vents can demonstrate the proper use of power tools knowledge in changing filters and install/repair duct work compressors and evaporator coils. Able to troubleshoot condensers & read schematic diagrams Proficient in soldering and brazing copper piping Work with great co-workers and supervised by the best and most Intelligent.
a great place where i was able to learn my skills and put them to the test
Maintenance Trainee (Former Employee) –  Monroe, VAMay 26, 2015
you show up to class and find out what needs to be done for the day get your tools in order and complete the job. MY instructor was amazing he pushed to do your best and beyond. all my classmates/coworkers were awesome they were all hardworking an willing to help one another out. i enjoyed every aspect about learning about the construction industry. i like a good challenge and it was for me at first but i succeeded and become one of the top students of my class.
poductive and fun work place with a energetic atmosphere
Plumbing Trainee (Current Employee) –  Chicopee, MAApril 10, 2013
Oer the past 9 months ive been a trainee at the Home Builders Institute and have been granted the privilage of being made forman for the past 7 months and have learned the basics of the plumbing trade in a place where u feel like the work u do is fun and can actually give u a chance to have a career. I've also helped in the training of new trainees that enter the shop. my instructor has been a great help in teaching and showing us the ropes i feel honered to have chosen my trade.

Want to know more about Home Builders Institute?

Ask a question
The workplace is a enojoyable place becasue everyone gets along with each other and everyone gets the job done.
Facility Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, INMay 20, 2015
What I learn is to hang, finish and patch a drywall. I also learn how to paint such as doors, walls etc. I learned the proper ways to use maintenance of power and hand tools. I can get along with my co-workers because I show that I'm discipline and serious about my job. the most enjoyable part about the job is showing the manager that I have what it takes to become the best employee that he have.
Facilities Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJuly 29, 2014
focus on treating employees with respect, encouragement and great support. Listen to the little guys... and they really do know the business of working with 'people'. Not just the contracts and business lost.

Management not so much about the employee, little patience and will fire you in a heart beat. I even witness management firing someone still in training. Twice!! this company is not for the weak or timid!!

Hire leaders and not babysitters. Give credit where credit is due.
Productive Place
Maintenance Trainee (Former Employee) –  Monroe, VASeptember 12, 2014
I had a good an rough time being at home builders institute. We always doing projects around the campus. Facilities Maintenace was my trade there, ive learn the basic things in that trade with maintenance. My instructor was a good teacher, he could explain things very well to the students. The hardest part of the job was working around other people that dont do any work while im working. But i learn just to work around those type of people.
fun place
Journeyman Electrican (Former Employee) –  Reno, NvDecember 1, 2014
Installation of panel boxes and breakers. Cut, bend and install EMT conduit. Wire single pole, 3-way, 4-way switches and dimmers. Trace out short circuits. Installed receptacles, switches, GFCI's and lighting fixtures. Troubleshoot and repair HID and Fluorescent fixtures. Used circuit-testing equipment. Wire door bells, alarms, branch circuits and devices. Installation of non-metallic and metallic sheathed cables (ROMEX, MC and BX).
Very Educated Instructors, Very structured Work Place
Pre-Apprentice plumber / Helper (Former Employee) –  Cassadaga, NYJanuary 22, 2016
My day starts with reading safety precautions with the rest of the aspiring plumbers and our instructor. While attending Cassadaga Job Corps Academy I learned a vast amount of plumbing knowledge that can bring me a long way in this trade. My senior co-workers where very helpful I also helped others any chance I got to do so.
Pros
free housing (dorms), free food.
Cons
very little pay
fun
Electrician Trainee (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 20, 2012
Installed flood lights for campus security project; installed fluorescent lights in all buildings
Ran conduit and wires and installed new photo-sensitive lighting in school remodel project
Ran UTP cable for phone and Internet service for office building
Installed junction boxes with EMT conduit and single-pole and 3-way switches; ran MC cables
Basic blueprint reading and familiar with NEC
We are all family
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Cherokee, NCDecember 25, 2012
Home Builders is the best company I have ever worked for. Although the job, working with inner city youth is highly stressful, it is very rewarding. The students are the best part of the job and can also be the hardest part. It is never a dull moment. I have had many opportunities for higher education. I was a carpenter became a teacher.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
high stress job
Construction Trades
ATE Instructor (Former Employee) –  Clearfield Job CoreJuly 9, 2015
Enjoyed teaching construction skills to students and seeing there hands on projects to completion. Choosing projects and helping teams learn different trades and developing skills. Loved Teaching!!!
Pros
Instructors in the team, Students, Progress with student teams
Cons
Budget Cuts, some students needing mental health counseling under deep stress.
Stay Focused and you can learn alot.
Carpenter Trainee (Former Employee) –  1 DC Village LN SW APT Washington, DC 20032December 8, 2015
Working with H.B.I wasn't difficult at all, you do have to pay attention in order to learn alot as you go. Management was always very good, and my co-workers were very inviting, they didnt show disrespect. The hardest part was ... actually I don't think there was a hard part. My most enjoyable part of the job is getting the job done of course.
Home builders institute is a great way to further my career opportunities.
Facility Maintenace (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, INJanuary 17, 2015
In my class we have many projects and with the experience and training it is very useful in learning new skills. My instructor is very helpful in teaching everyone in class new tricks of the trade and I enjoy learning new skills.
Pros
free education
Cons
too far from home

4.5