Home Builders Institute

Home Builders Institute Employer Reviews

Productive and family provibe environment
HVAC MANAGER (Current Employee), AtlantaAugust 2, 2013
Pros: free lunch
Cons: n/a
A typical day at work starts off with me speaking and greeting everyone I walked past and see. Then my day begin with working on any given assignment the group is assign. I learn about basic things like the live feed when dealing with electrical, the different type of elbows, fiitings and pipes such as 90 drgree and 45 degree elbow, t- and y- fittings, cpvc, pvc and how to soldering when dealing with copper plumbing. I learned how to brass and the differents between condensing and heat pump units. I learned how to detect a leak in a system and how to solve it. I know how to use power and hand tools. I learned about safety on a ladders and scaffles. I know how to determine what type of refrigerant is in a system. The management at Home Builders Institute is excellent. They show you and explain to you any and every thing possible but they are strict you must come into Home Builders Institute ready to work. My co-workers are just like family we eat togather sometimes and play around a little but when its time to work we get the job done. The hardest part of the job was getting to know people because I was a very shy person but once i opened up and just relaxed everything falled in place. The most enjoyable part of the job to me was working. I love to work day in and day out. Get it done and make it perfect. To go back and look at my work and see its just amazing is the joy I have when I come to work.
Great Experience And Instructor
Apprentice Plumber (Former Employee), Hazleton, PAJune 26, 2013
It was great to have a instructor to show all you need to know about the the trade you are in.
trade where you leanr things
trade (Former Employee), Edinburgh, INJune 17, 2013
I learned a lot about building and fixing things inside and outside of a house, the hardest part was trying to remember what the tools name where and then most enjoyable part was working with a team of people who were motivated and determined.
poductive and fun work place with a energetic atmosphere
Plumbing Trainee (Current Employee), Chicopee, MAApril 10, 2013
Oer the past 9 months ive been a trainee at the Home Builders Institute and have been granted the privilage of being made forman for the past 7 months and have learned the basics of the plumbing trade in a place where u feel like the work u do is fun and can actually give u a chance to have a career. I've also helped in the training of new trainees that enter the shop. my instructor has been a great help in teaching and showing us the ropes i feel honered to have chosen my trade.
homebuilders
Plumber Pre-Apprentice in the following fields (Former Employee), Lopez, PAApril 6, 2013
Pros: it help me learn more in my field
Cons: no pay for all that hard work
..Home-builder was a on job training , I was going to collage for this field and had tot take a on site training. i did plumbing as my training
Hard Working
Pre -Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYFebruary 27, 2013
Pros: hard working
This was the company i was underneath learing to be an electrician. The base that i got from them is amazing.
Willing to learn more and work as hard as i can
Plumbing Trainee (Current Employee), Cassadaga, NYFebruary 5, 2013
Pros: great exprience
Cons: bad pay
My day starts with going to trade work on as many projects as i can. my co workers sre great we all help each other when needed. hardest part of the job is leaving the job.
Ok company to work for its just some of the people.
Electrician Trainee (Former Employee), Lopez, PAFebruary 1, 2013
A typical day is good I learned a lot management could be better;
We are all family
Instructor (Current Employee), Cherokee, NCDecember 25, 2012
Pros: excellent benefits
Cons: high stress job
Home Builders is the best company I have ever worked for. Although the job, working with inner city youth is highly stressful, it is very rewarding. The students are the best part of the job and can also be the hardest part. It is never a dull moment. I have had many opportunities for higher education. I was a carpenter became a teacher.
learning and installation
TRAINEE (Former Employee), Orlando, FLNovember 29, 2012
OSHA certified.hand tools,power tools,landscape,facility maintenance ,lots of tools being used, anything to cut wood or build.
Procutive Work Place
Apprentice (Former Employee), Golconda, ILNovember 1, 2012
I worked very hard. I learned all the skills that i have now. The hardest part of my job was climbing up ladders because at first I was afraid of height but after a while I became used to it.
live service installation
Electrician Trainee (Former Employee), Drums, PASeptember 20, 2012
organizing the shop, working on projects on houses, buildings, and installing different lights recepticles different kinds switches running mc cable, romex, conduit underground.
It was a nice and welcoming place to learn electrical trade.
Electrician Trainee (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 6, 2012
I worked on buildings installing light,PVC conduit, computer cable. I did residential and commercial mock ups. I also completed my internship at Department of Labor, since than i get called in 2 help on major projects
Productive and great workplace.
Landscaping (Former Employee), Woodstock, MDJuly 2, 2012
Pros: hard working landscaping student.
Cons: two 15 minutes breaks. one in the morning and afternoon.
Work would start at 8:30pm with Monday Morning Safety Meeting with one of the Landscaping Students reading out of the Safety Book. Then it is after the Safety Meeting all the Landscaping Students would get their work orders from our teacher then get to work. What we as the Landscaping students is that we have to maintain the centers grounds. We all do mange the work and other people when it is time to clean the tools that are used. The hardest part of the groundsmaintance is keeping the grass cut and the bushes even. The most enjoyable part of the job as a Landscaping student is the two breaks we get.
A sub contractor training for The Department of Labor
Facilities Maintenence Electrical Instructor (Former Employee), South Bronx NY./Chicopee, MAMarch 25, 2012
Pros: good pay and benifits package
Cons: stress mushroom type people, constantly under fire stress 24/7
Awesome job if your a mushroom not for the go getter inspiring type.I have never seen so many dazed,confused and not certain what will be expected in the next half hour people in a group anywhere in my life.Burned out staff just there to be there mentally beyond stressed out. Most of your co workers could not get a job in the field they teach back stab, throw you under the bus to make themselves justified in a second. JOB CORPS CENTERS are managed by very manipulative EXTREMELY greedy large corporations for profit plain and simple.Any sub contractor hired to train vocational skills to students for THE DEPARTMENT OF LABOR is squeezed of every copper penny they can justify.An instructor is not even a pawn in their manipulative game of profiting play along or we can and will make your life miserable and that they did.Sub contracted trainers like HBI have to play by their guidelines whatever they are or they are out.
fun
Electrician Trainee (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 20, 2012
Installed flood lights for campus security project; installed fluorescent lights in all buildings
Ran conduit and wires and installed new photo-sensitive lighting in school remodel project
Ran UTP cable for phone and Internet service for office building
Installed junction boxes with EMT conduit and single-pole and 3-way switches; ran MC cables
Basic blueprint reading and familiar with NEC