Home Depot

14.5K reviews

Home Depot Employee Reviews

If you are people oriented and design minded, this is a great job
Kitchen Designer (Current Employee), Denver, COAugust 31, 2015
Pros: Great people to work with, good benefit
Cons: rarely get 15 minute breaks due to customers
Overall, Home Depot is a good place to work if you are people oriented, detail oriented and have a knack for home improvement. Often times, you are asked to cover multiple departments at one time and are pulled from your designated department. This can, as in my case, negatively affect your sales goals. Though commission is not available, Kitchen Designers are expected to meet weekly sales goals that can, sometimes, be skewed. Depending upon which vendor you work with, projects can be relatively easy or incredibly difficult. Having interpersonal skills is a MUST. You must also be willing to work weekends and do not generally have consecutive days off. It can be difficult to schedule your life around the job, as there are generally no set schedules.
Duties include inventory management, assisting contractors with correct knowledge of lumber and building supplies. Certification to operate heavy
Lumber/Building Expert (Former Employee), Poughkeepsie, NYAugust 31, 2015
Duties include inventory management, assisting contractors with
correct knowledge of lumber and building supplies. Certification to operate
heavy duty propane forklifts, reach fork lift, electric ladder, delivery trucks, and
commercial panel saw. Trained knowledge in a wide variety of hand and power
tools. Critical knowledge of installation and repair was obtained through training.\
Not having fun anymore.
Freight Team Associate and Forklift Operator (Current Employee), Costa Mesa CaAugust 31, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: No holiday time with family.
I like what i do I just need a change. I need to work for a company that is more fun. Wants their employees to be with their families. I just don't get that feeling from The Home Depot.
Sales Associate
Appliance Sales Associate (Former Employee), Los Banos, CAAugust 31, 2015
High paced environment. A lot of customer traffic. Keeps you busy and moving during your shift, Great company to work for.
Fast paced sales environment where you can build strong customer relationships
Pro Department Supervisor (Current Employee), Griffin, GAAugust 31, 2015
Pros: Discounted Stock
Cons: Schedule takes a lot of time away from your family
Home Depot is a great company that provides ample opportunities for career advancement and offers an ability to network with professional customers. You are granted autonomy to grow the business and are challenged to grow your own business by designing your own displays and creating your own style in merchandising.
Good work Environment
Cashier and Garden Sales Associate (Former Employee), Palmdale, CAAugust 31, 2015
Good workplace. Flexible schedule. Management is easy to talk to. Close to fast food and shops. Associates are very friendly and make it easy to work.
Great co workers, great overall company leadership, average store ;eadership
Department Supervisor (Former Employee), Fresno, CAAugust 31, 2015
Pros: benefits, coworkers
Cons: management, no room for advancement
As a department supervisor you are expected to accomplish the tasks of multiple people. Fast paced which is nice. The values of the company as a whole are great but in each individual store i think the message gets lots in translation. I enjoyed my job, worked with many great people and learned a lot abut leadership. The hardest part of my job was feeling unappreciated and always feeling like the workload was always increasing. The big issue I found was that instead of developing associates who were less productive and teaching them to be great employees they would instead over work good associates because they "knew they could handle it" and "don't have time to waste trying to train someone else. It is a great company to work for with great benefits. If they spent more time just saying thank you to their associates or even just asking how they are it would make a huge difference. They treated their associates like another number.
Place wehre people are treated well and with respect
Sales associate (Former Employee), Lake Forrest CAAugust 31, 2015
Pros: Free foods on holidays while working with customers
Cons: Changing work schedule every week
Work assignments varied according with the shift or starting hours. Very friendly management team that will work with you according to your needs.
Learned and shared knowledge with other employees and customers on electrical and hand tools as well as building materials.
Manager team was excellent in providing all employees training and testing knowledge of the products available to customers. Many of the coworkers also provided information and helpful knowledge on different brands and tools.
Hardest part of the job for me was to carry objects over 40 lbs from a top shelf to the floor for a customer.
Most enjoyable part was to get to know customers by their name and them know you by your name, very friendly environment.
Fast paced work.
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee), Midland, TXAugust 31, 2015
Pros: Fast paced that made the day seem short.
Cons: Short breaks
Show up clock in make the backroom ready for the day. unload the trucks breakdown the pallets for the individual departments. The hardest part was the nonstop, and fast pace work. I learned how to operate a forklift, Do data entry.
Great job to work at
Lot Assoicate (Former Employee), Fort Worth TexasAugust 31, 2015
Love working there it was a great place to be at the customers were friendly and so were the employes. I couldn't complain about it. I was on time everyday I didn't miss any days the job was fun. At times things got hard but I didn't give up
3 day 12 hour shift picking pulling wrapping and loading product
Order puller (Current Employee), Hampton, GAAugust 31, 2015
Pros: 3 day week 12 hr shifts
Cons: never get all my hour
i work wedsday thursday friday, i mostly drive a stand up lift useing a scanner gun to locate product. i stage at proper location .
Good job well balanced
Department Sales Rep (Current Employee), Wawutosa WiAugust 31, 2015
Pros: great place to work
Cons: none from my opinon
I like my job and I would love to work there for much longer. my co workers are cool and I enjoy helping customers and working in a team.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCAugust 30, 2015
Pros: Helping my customers and Co-workers.
Cons: Having to choose between them and Harris Teeter.
The best thing about working for the Home Depot was . I got a lot of experience in many areas of the store. Because I love dealing with the public I always made sure they were satisfied. My co-workers and I got along great. Management and I did well together. I didn't want to leave but working to jobs began taking a toll on me.
Productive with great culture
Specialist, At Home Services (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAAugust 30, 2015
Great culture experience with strong team focus. The opportunities are endless for personal growth, advancement, etc.
great place
Team lead (Former Employee), Downers Grove, ILAugust 30, 2015
Hard to move up unless you relocate but overall it was a great place.I had a very positive time there just left for a promotion with another company.
fun place with positive energy
Customer Service, Cashier (Current Employee), west hills, los angelesAugust 29, 2015
I'm working about a six months in a home depot, I like my job, I can visit a lot of people every day. during 6 month I can get the 7 rewards from my supervisor and my manager, actually I'm looking for a full time job.
Ok place to work for retail
Lumber Recovery Associate (Current Employee), Reno, NvAugust 29, 2015
Pros: Success Sharing, Health Benefits
Cons: Negative Management, Overworked, Underpayed
Most employees are part time and could care less about their jobs. 10% of associates do 90% of the work while the rest do next to nothing. Management is hostile and offer nothing but negativity and act like nothing is ever good enough. Pay is ok, benefits pretty good, bonus program is decent as well.
The most enjoyable part of the job was a satisfied customer
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Pinellas Park, FLAugust 29, 2015
Pros: Health Ensurance
Cons: Hours
The opportunity to be able to satisfied customer's needs. Being empowered to take care of a customer to the point that it was not expected to go up and above to fix their problem and have the situation fixed for their benefit.
never a dull moment
Kitchen and Bath Associate/ Specialist (Current Employee), Yucca Valley, CAAugust 29, 2015
Pros: always learning
Cons: small town population therefore less hours
there is always something to do at The Home Depot. You will always be engaged in doing some sort of activity or task. co- worker are always willing to help when you ask them. everyone is friendly
Excellent place to grow, learn, and mature.
Freight Associate (Current Employee), Powder Springs, GAAugust 29, 2015
Pros: Learning environment, meeting all kinds of people, and great opportunities
Cons: Collision of rules and expectations between managers
A typical day at work consists of maintaining organization in the aisle you are assigned to, making sure there are products on the shelf ready for the customer to find, and doing what the manager or department supervisor asks me to do.
The biggest part of the day is attending to the needs of the customers. Customers come in with a variety of problems, ideas, projects, and situations that the associate they are talking to must resolve, or find another associate that can resolve what the customer would like taken care of. With this kind of environment, I learned how to think in a tri dimensional way, better use my resources, and how to quickly learn things for a future reference.
Management is very respectful in leaving the associates to do what they are suppose to do as well as what they are asked to do. They are good people, do not let their powers go to their heads, and respect their associates, customers, and each other, and make it very comfortable to talk to them about things ranging from associates or customers acting inappropriate, to their favorite yoga moves, as an extreme example.
I am one person of a team that takes products from the commercial trucks of the store and put them on the shelves for the associates of the departments to sell. We are different kinds of people but all have open minds about ideas and ways to solve problems, rather it is how to stack boxes a certain way that will save us room on the shelf, or what to get their 5-year-old sister for their birthday, as an extreme example. We work great together when anything happens and apply our different – more... skills to help each other, teach each other, and benefit the store.
The hardest part of the job as well as the most enjoyable part of the job is the customers. Along with handling the situation of the customers and finding a product that would best fit their needs, the customer will talk to me and express their thoughts, beliefs, and ideas, to show who they are. These expressions can range from inspirational biblical references, complements, overall positive ideas, and actual job offers, to racist beliefs, rude comments and gestures, and customers stealing products or trashing areas of the store. While this is the hardest part as well as the most enjoyable part of the job, I personally enjoying the variety of thoughts, beliefs, and the overall free exchange of ideas. – less
Headquarters