Home Depot
8,111 reviews

Home Depot Employer Reviews

Awesome place for the right person.
Customer Service (Former Employee), Dacula, GAApril 19, 2014
Pros: staying active, a verity of daily tasks, ever changing.
Cons: retail hours.
For retail, great place to work on the full scale. Stock options, benefits, and profit shearing. Learn a ton of useful skills.
My experience
SPECIALTY SALES (Current Employee), Newark, CAApril 19, 2014
Pros: benefits, some growth opportunities, part-time flexibility
Cons: get moved around (pro/con?), management is too busy for you, little to no support
I've been working at Home Depot for just over three-and-a-half years now. Home Depot has given me confidence over the years as I have learned some selling skills that will stay with me for life.

I started as a cashier and moved my way up to associate and then specialist. During this time, you learn all there is on the floor to help customers, but Home – more... Depot is really good at throwing you to the sharks. You have to be able to learn on your feet with little or no support from management as you get more specialized in the departments.

What has kept me here for so long is the lasting friendships I have with my coworkers. They have created an environment of friendly people who all sincerely care for one another and are willing to help each other out. – less
Outdated
Millwork Sales (Former Employee), Greenville, SCApril 19, 2014
My review of Home Depot would be outdated because its been a very long time since I worked for them. When I did, it was in their heyday and I enjoyed working for them. For the type of company it is, they compensated well, benefits where above average and the job culture was enjoyable.Since then I understand things are not the same.
Productive and a fun place to work
GARDEN CENTER ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Auburn Hills, MIApril 18, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: the pay
Helped many customers find items and talk about their home depot needs, Management was always available and always telling us how great of a job we were doing and was never afraid to jump in to help out the customers as well. Co workers and I were always on top of things and helping and communicating with one another. Hardest part of the job would be – more... helping to many customers at once with a ringing phone in your hand. Enjoyable part about the job would be the atmosphere and knowing the customers I helped went home happy with their needs met. – less
Learning to stock and place items in the correct place.
Freight Team Member (Former Employee), Newnan, GAApril 18, 2014
What I would do is clock in go to the shipping department and take the items that were just shipped and start to place them on the shelf in a proper manor in a quick time frame to not have stock backed up the next day. The things I learned in this job was how to put things in the proper place and to make sure the (SKU) shipping # matched the place where – more... the item needed to go. The management there was always making sure you place the items in a timely manor so that way by the end of the shift you would be able to sweep and mop the floor. The co-workers there were team players if you didn't know where the stuff in the store were located they would help you out until you understood where everything went and what department the item would be in. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the garden items certain bags of mulch would be ripped on the bottom when transporting to a pallet and you would get your clothes real dirty or watering the plants would get your shoes very wet. The best thing about the job was each person would try to race and see where the items would go in there cart before the next so that way we would finish stock quicker. – less
good place to work
Cashier (Former Employee), Newnan, GAApril 18, 2014
this job was very good but you had to be on your toes to make the customers happy
management was good
co workers were good
working in the heat in the garden area
some great people I worked with for twelve years.
Sales Specialist (Former Employee), New Milford, CTApril 18, 2014
Pros: worked with good people, full time garanteed 40hrs., learned a lot about home repair
Cons: management, flex schedule given bi-wkly, costly healthcare, not good starting wage
Totally corporately mis-guided. There is no honest and good in middle management. And no recourse for the worker bees who will not engage in the disgusting behavior displayed by said middle management. Loved working with customers and other employees. Sadly, some great and good people overlooked for promotion. Too many personal agendas! Shame, I spent – more... lots of time doing for a company that is so disfuctional and dishonest. – less
Customer service
Package Handler/Office Sales Associate (Former Employee), Tacoma, WAApril 18, 2014
Pros: fun workplace
Cons: advancement takes forever, you always work hard for nothing, you don't even get bonuses. they literally try to pay there employees as little as possible, and if your not full time you can't be promoted.
Customer Service and operating machinery all day pretty much. The hardest part of the job is busting your butt all day for pretty much nothing.
Fun place to work.
Sales Representative for Building Materials (Former Employee), Gretna, LAApril 17, 2014
Pros: meeting new people everyday
Cons: not alot of room for advancment
Either you started at 5 in the morning or you came in at 1pm and worked till closing. Generally worked 5 days a week but store was open 7 days a week. Odd schedules. Basically helped customers complete their home improvement projects.

Management and co workers were all very easy to get along with. Strong team work environment needed due to usual understaffing.

Hardest – more... part of the job would have to be the lack of space available for the amount of product ordered and shipped.

Most enjoyable would have to be the customers appreciation for offering help. – less
productive, full of energy, fun
❸ Garden Sales associate (Former Employee), Chattanooga, TNApril 17, 2014
learned garden information, landscape tools, ideas, designs,
used tools from forklifts, pallet jacks, and electric pallet jacks.
work
Design consultant, instructor, and sales associate (Current Employee), Orland Park, ILApril 17, 2014
It is a great company to work for.
I learn more everyday.

************************************************************************************************************************************.***************************************************
Family-like atmosphere
Merchandising Associate (Current Employee), Midlothian, VAApril 17, 2014
Home Depot has one of the easiest atmospheres to work in. You are treated like family and everyone is willing to help you if you are willing to learn.
productive
Be proactive in generating sales (Former Employee), queensApril 17, 2014
the most enjoyable part is making people leave with a smile.........................................
The Change in Culture
Kitchen & Bath Associate (Former Employee), West Allis, WIApril 17, 2014
Pros: the best people ever, both coworkers and customers. i loved my job
Cons: really inflexable about hours
I always worked in areas where you there had to be an associate there in order to buy the item, all special order. If I was not at work the cutomer couldn't get thier needs met. I was often one of a few associates who knew how to special order everything. The hours are based on a computer program that determines how much was sold on a certain day going – more... back five years. This computer model seems logical but didn't work for retail. Managment kept sending people home because we were over hours even when customers needed help. I usually got to stay because of my special skills but I was selling outside of my department so often my hours were actually cut because my own department didn't sell enough to support me. Catch 22? paradox? Because I could sell anywhere in the sture I got to stay but because I didn't sell in my area my overall hours were cut, somtimes 0-6 hours a week.

Part time poeple had great benifits, they paid very well in the past but not any more. – less
Special Services Associate (Current Employee), Santa Ana, CAApril 17, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: not too many hours
Many chances to advance within the company. New opening are posted for current assocates to be aware of. Decent pay
Work Place
Freight Associate (Current Employee), Fayetteville, GAApril 17, 2014
It's a cool place to work.
Laid-back environment.
Open-door policy.
Able to learn something in very department on the sales floor
Continued customer interaction
Productive and a Fun Work place
Cashier (Former Employee), Flagstaff, AZApril 17, 2014
Pros: benefits at work
Cons: short breaks
Always learned on the job, great management, and great benefits
Company has changed drestickly over the years
Department Manager (Former Employee), Bangor, MEApril 17, 2014
I would no longer look at this company for a career. Many changes have taken place since the originalowners have left
Positive Work Atmosphere with continuous advancement
Freight Handler/Forklift Driver (Former Employee), Salem, NHApril 17, 2014
Pros: great benefits
I earned my forklift certificate and was able to advance my knowledge of warehouse procedures and safety requirements.
The Home Depot Overall
Cashier (Former Employee), Tampa, FLApril 17, 2014
Very busy and tiring, I learned patience, management was helpful i got along with all co-workers.

1 2 3 4 5

About Home Depot

The Home Depot is the global leader in home improvement and fourth largest retailer in the world. Providing superior customer – Read more