Home Depot Employee Reviews

Home Depot (Cares)
Department Supervisor (Former Employee), Southern CA, Southern IL, Central CAJuly 7, 2011
Pros: they'll hire anyone, the non-cash benefits are decent, you can learn a lot, if hired full time it's really full time
Cons: they'll fire you just as fast, dependent benefits are expensive, difficult for full-time employee to go to school, there's no such thing as a weekend off
I worked for the Orange Box for almost 7 years. I successfully transferred twice. On my 3rd request for transfer, I was close enough to my destination store to go in, introduce myself, and speak with store management.
At this time I was a department level supervisor.
I requested my transfer in January. As of the beginning of March, I was "officially" put on a 2 week unpaid Leave of Absence (I had used up my vacation time with two recent family deaths- for which I was not offered Family and Medical Leave Act or any other assistance). Sixteen days later, after I had made my 150 mile move, I was called and told that I had to be terminated "voluntarily"- I wasn't offered a part time position (although I asked to be demoted), or any other type of possible arrangement.

After nearly 7 years of excellent service to a company, with numerous awards for Employee of the Month in various categories, with more than a year as a supervisor, I was let go. Because of a breakdown in communication between one store and another, and a lack of caring about the welfare of an associate.

The Home Depot has several programs which purportedly assist their associates in times of need. When my father died last summer, I applied for the Homer Fund. Three weeks after my management team submitted my application, which included required original documents, I finally was able to reach the Fund's help line, who said that they'd never received my package.

The Home Depot, as a whole, is not a bad company to work for. I think that the last year was simply so bad because of a new store manager. It's somewhat difficult – more... to advance- a lot of the Department Supervisors don't want to move up to Assistant Manager. Those who do move up- they are very cut-throat and aggressive. Women seem to do more poorly than men, although that trend is supposedly changing. Women are now offered courses in Leadership that are company-sponsored.

In my experience in three different stores and seven years with The Home Depot, I witnessed a wide range of ethnic diversity in the employee base. However, managerial positions tend to be dominated by white or Hispanic males. I've known very few female managers who succeed. Most burn out in the first five years of their management career. Those who promote to Store Manager (in my experience) are either fired or burn out within the first two years.

In my first year, I was at one store. There were 4 Store managers cycled through the store in that year. Fired, quit, quit due to health, and the last was To Be Determined as I transferred out. I don't recall any female management above Department Supervisor at that store. My 2nd store was a 2 year stint- only one SM, but the Assistant Store Manager rotated through rather rapidly. This SM was a black male, rather young, and very dynamic. The primary Assistant SM s were 3 white males, and one black female from Jamaica. At my last store, I was there for almost 4 years. We had 3 store managers (Female Hispanic, transferred after alleged harrassment scandal. Male Hispanic, termed after alleged ethics scandal. White female, still barely there when I left.) The Assistant SM s were one black male, one Hispanic male, and one Hispanic female.

Just about anyone can get hired, although most hiring seems to be through a temporary-to-permanent-program. The best time to get the job is in early spring. Be prepared to push carts or run a register- that seems to be the A#1 position in which people are hired. If you are a young man, out in the lot you go. Female, any age- onto a register. Older men- you'll be in plumbing or electrical, whether you have the background or not. Be prepared to pass a drug test- they're serious about screening before employment. However, once you're hired, as long as you're not using on the job, and sometimes if you are, you can usually get away with it. Which can be detrimental for the rest of us law-abiding citizens. However, if you break something, be prepared to lose your job if you've been using narcotics.

The medical benefits are decent, though expensive for dependents. Vision and dental are OUTSTANDING. Vacation time accrues for both part and full time associates, at about half the full time rate, for part time employees. The 401k program is pretty good, although a little confusing. The Home Depot does offer a stock purchase program, although you can't invest your 401k directly into The Home Depot stock, and their stock prices have been pretty low for the last 5 years.

The Home Depot says that they support further education with tuition reimbursement, but it has to be directly related to the industry in order for reimbursement. Also, it's incredibly difficult for a full time employee to go to school around a non-set schedule, and full time employees are required to maintain "open availability" in their schedule. So you can close on a Wednesday and work til 11:30 PM and have to be back to work at 5AM to open on Thursday. Or, you can work Tuesday through Saturday (40 hours), then work Sunday through Thursday (another 40 hours)(that's 10 days straight, my friend), and because the pay period starts/ends on Sat/Sun, your 10 day stretch is split between two pay periods, and somehow it's a) legal and b) acceptable. And don't even think of having a weekend off, if you're full time. In 7 years, the only time I had weekends off was when I worked as a clerk in the back, and that's only because my vendors were closed on weekends.

Thanks for reading, I hope that I haven't weighed too negatively against The Home Depot. I loved the WORK that I did- I completely despised the bureaucracy that allowed associates to get lost in the folds, and peoples lives to get stuck in the cracks of the corporate machine. – less
Holding onto a red hot iron.......
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Waltham, MASeptember 30, 2012
Pros: easy to sell merchandise, comfortable attire allowed to work
Cons: erratic, rude managers, standing on hard concrete floors all day with few breaks allowed, changeable working schedule from day to day
Home Depot, on first impression, is deceptively a friendly place to work. But it does not take long for a new employee to become painfully aware of the tense atmosphere that permeates Management and trickles down to Sales Associates. Perhaps it is due to the recent changes where stores are no longer under the sole control of a Store Manager. Atlanta Headquarters has taken over in typical conglomerate style. All decisions are deferred and Management at all levels, from lowly Department Supervisors to MODS to the Store Manager live in deathly fear of Atlanta and of being fired, which happens rather frequently at all levels. Management lives according to the unrealistic sales expectations and dictates of Corporate Headquarters. If all this tension was due to high salaries, perhaps it would be merited, but salaries are ridiculously low.

Managers are usually young, having been raised through the ranks and trained by HD in special management courses that bare no resemblance to any management practices I have come to know at any other work place over many years of employment. Young managers have an authoritative, entitled attitude, despite lacking in basic knowledge such as how to purge a customer order from a previous year. All they know how to do is to bark orders over the loudspeakers through their newly acquired First Phones (that they barely know how to use) preferably while sitting down at the Service Desk, the Computer Room or one of the Kitchen Design Stations. As a rule they openly refer to older workers that have been at HD for a long time and know the ropes as "being past – more... their sale by date"--not wise aside of being illegal. One thing managers excel at is cooking the books to suit their goal of a large bonus at the end of HD's calendar year. They know every computer trick known to man to make themselves look good on paper and most importantly get their way. Associates have to punch a clock when they arrive, when they go for lunch, when they return no less than 31 minutes and no more than 59 minutes later than stated in your schedule. Regardless of whether you are in the middle of dealing with a customer the schedule must be adhered to, no flexibility is allowed. Since you are paid according to the time you are clocked, do not clock in more than 5 minutes before your scheduled arrival time for if you do you will be loudly reprimanded and the MOD will alter the clocked in time to assure payroll budgets are kept to a minimum. If you unfortunately fall behind a school bus on your way to work and clock in ONE minute late you will again be loudly, and I do mean LOUDLY reprimanded and threatened with termination. Even if you are an ace, with customers praising you even in writing, if a particular manager does not like you beware because your days are numbered. The manager in question will deftly manoeuvre your schedule, clock in or clock out time and you will be terminated, not fired, but terminated and made to walk the plank, quite literally for you are escorted out the door in the most humiliating manner possible.

Co-workers are competitive despite not working on commission because at yearly review time any meagre salary increase is dependent on the Associate's hourly sales volume--so no need to compete for commissions but must fight tooth and nail for sales' credit. Many Associates resort to rather underhanded tactics like rewriting orders to get credit for somebody else's hard work. This leads to unnecessary friction between Associates, except for the most easy going ones.

The hardest part of the job is by far having to stand on hard concrete floors for hours at a time and having to walk the length and breadth of the warehouse sized store many times during your lengthy 9 hour shift--this is to meet the stringent state laws regarding required breaks. The worst part is when an Associate has to go around, literally begging for a licensed operator of a fork lift or yellow bird, to bring down merchandise from sky high shelves to be able to complete a sale and please a waiting customer.

The most enjoyable part of the job is dealing with overwhelmed customers who seldom find what they need without the help of an Associate because of the peculiar arrangement of merchandise. If a customer wants simple clothes pins and they look in the Cleaning Products Department where detergents are kept they are in for a huge disappointment for clothes pins in HD are kept in the Hardware Department, nobody would guess unless they had a crystal ball. You want a fire extinguisher for your kitchen, don't bother to look in the Kitchen Department or Appliances, for the extinguishers are kept in the Electrical Department. Go figure. A sense of humor is an essential job requirement.

If you are desperate for a job and have no other choice, by all means, apply to HD. But consider it a temporary fix, like holding onto a red hot iron, and be prepared to work unending hours, anytime between 5 in the morning and 11 at night, standing up on a hard concrete floor and to be sent home, with no pay, if management decides that they have to cut hours to satisfy Atlanta. Most of all be prepared to work changing shifts that make it impossible to coordinate other work or activities in your personal life. If you work until 10 at night on a Sunday because you get paid time and a half, be prepared to show up at 6 the next morning, such is the scheduling. In HD you are a number, a body, and in these hard economic times you are expendable for there are many others waiting to take your place. If you are promoted, then get ready to work around the clock and be treated much worse than a lowly HD Associate. – less

October 3, 2012

I just left the "competitor" in the Atlanta Market for exactly the same reasons. Inordinate demands from Corporate and Salaries that do not commensurate the abilities and experience required. In Summation, I feel that Corporate HQ has No Clue in what to do to keep their businesses viable, consequently they "threatens" everyone 's jobs thinking they will get a positive result. Bad Management, Even Worse Management Techniques...this is a direct result of placing bodies in a Corporate Structure without properly vetting the candidates. I witnessed alot of "good-ol-boy" decisions...and they too will ultimately fail !

Run, far, far away from this place.
Supervisor (Former Employee), Lincoln Park Chicago, ILFebruary 2, 2014
Pros: the job itself it’s relatively easy …its sales 101, plus they offer benefits and a nice discount.
Cons: corporate has no clue what they are doing, the furniture is poorly made, and the pay is nonexistent.
Don’t be lured in with their lies. They will tell you that there is room to grow with the company because they are expanding. They will tell you that you might even become a store manager and have your own store one day, but the truth is that they are not expanding but in fact closing stores, so much so, that some of the corporate higher up have jumped ship and have transferred to the parent company which is The Home Depot. The strategy is to get bodies into the store to cover shifts because it’s very hard to keep people employed once they realize the mess they have gotten into.

I believe that The Home Decorators Collection days are numbered, soon they will be liquidating the stores or perhaps they will be completely under The Home Depot domain because The Home Decorators corporate division has no idea what they are doing. This company has tried to portrait itself as an affordable furniture company but it runs as a glamorized dollar store. Most items arrive to customers either defective or damaged. They don’t have the necessary resources/skills to operate as a brick and mortar store. Without the backing of The Home Depot this company wouldn’t be doing business today, because it’s an ongoing disaster.

First of all, the whole operating/ordering system is so antiquated (it’s a DOS system from the 1980’s) that most of the time it gives incorrect prices and discounts, charging customer more or less than expected. The ordering process is also spoiled by the fact that the catalog is always misprinted. When I say always I’m not exaggerating, this happens 90% of the time, and the website – more... is no help either: wrong sizes, item numbers, colors, prices, descriptions etc. There is also the issue of so many ongoing sales during a single period of time. In fact so many, that you cannot figure out the math because the operating system cannot compute it nor can your brain. There is always a sale of 20% off, plus half shipping, plus another 15% off, plus a special coupon of $20 off every $500 you spend. It’s insane, because no matter what, the furniture still has a 70% chance of arriving damage. Corporate has been made aware of all the glitches in system but refuse to upset the status quo.

There is also the issue with getting samples of the fabrics into the store or to the customer service center. How can someone sell something to a customer that is so personal and yet you have never seen yourself. Wouldn’t you think it would be a monumental help to your staff if they had the necessary resources to increase sales? I believe that a good furniture manufacturer would be incline to provide samples if it meant an increase in orders. Why is it so difficult to get these samples? There is no excuse.

Another issue is that the furniture constantly arrives damaged and is frequently delayed, so much that designers have refuse to do business with us at all, all they will purchase are rugs. Most of the time is spent calming customer down due to all of the issues with the sales process, shipping delays and most of all, dealing with customer that have received a damaged order. Be prepared to be screamed at and reprimanded by customer when in fact these issues are out of your control. There is also no training on any of these pieces so talking you way thru a sale pure luck! Hopefully a customer won’t be the wiser and ask important question like to how prolong the life of the product or what is this piece made of, and forget about a warranty, it does not exist.

Corporate has been made aware of all these customer service issues but they continue to turn a blind eye. A perfect example of this was during autumn 2013, when a designer placed an order for custom chairs, and then the order arrived damaged. Her customer had waited 6-8 weeks to receive these items and when they finally arrived they arrived damaged. When our management team tried to expedite the replacement order, the expected turnaround time had been increased by the manufacturer to 8-12 week, needless to say, the designer was furious. Corporate was made aware of these issues but refuse to reprimand the manufacture. This was not an isolated incident either, it happened over and over again during the course of several months. The issue was not resolved until the designer twitted her discontent directed to the Home Decorators’ parent company, The Home Depot and The Home Depot’s PR Person.

The Home Decorators Collection always likes to hire the same person, which is someone who doesn’t oppose the norm. They like to state that they are looking for someone with a design background but let’s face it you won’t need it because all they want is a mindless body to comply. The pay is close to minimum wage; the Manager makes close to $32,000 a year and a sales associate starts at around $9.00 an hour with no more than 30hrs a week. They do offer benefits at an astronomical price.

I think the worst part of all is the unprofessional and complacent attitude from the Store Manager and higher ups especially in the Chicago locations. Their favorite phase is “If you don’t like how the company operates you can find another job”… isn’t that’s a great way to treat the people that her you reach your sales goals and help you achieve a bonus every year. As an adult I find this attitude unacceptable, especially from a Manager that has a record of being unprofessional. They refuse to let go of people that are obviously ineffective and keep them around just because they are a “yes” person. Accountability is never upheld for people that continue to fail, time and again, especially after they have been asked to improve several times over. – less
Offers great life experience, but poor employer treatment.
Garden Sales Associate (Current Employee), Hyattsville, MDJuly 18, 2014
Pros: learning experience, customer service experience
Cons: health risk in certain departments, physical strain, mental stress, retail, irate customers
I worked in the Garden section of the home depot. My daily tasks included making sure items on the shelves were all stocked and no empty spaces were found (Where the items should be), ensuring that the outside garden department was fully stocked and clean. (Which includes driving the forklift and bringing in pallets of soils, mulches and manure and cleaning the entire area. Afterwards, customer service is our number one priority, which includes having knowledge about the products in garden in order to provide advice to customers with questions about their lawn and garden. We also have to provide assistance loading heavy merchandise into the vehicles of customers who cannot help themselves.
This is a super fast pace job at times and it can be very stressful on the mind and the body. Therefore the people you work with can be what defines how much you like your job. I was lucky enough to work with a team of people that not only help each other out, but they care for each other. I was also lucky enough to work under management who cares for their workers as well. Although they aren't perfect (They have fast paced jobs and go through stress as well. So you can't expect them to be angels at all times) they are much better than any corrupted managers at any other jobs. If you go out your way to complete your tasks, they'll go out their way to help you out any way you can.
The hardest part of the job in my department is the job itself. We typically have a team of 2-5 people working at the same time depending on the day (Saturdays have the most people scheduled to work, but the most – more... customers come in as well). Its really easy to get overwhelmed by customers asking for help, especially if one team member is not pulling their weight. Couple that with the fact that some people come in having a bad day are willing to take it out on us, even though we try to help them, it can be a highly mentally stressful job.
The physical strain can be horrifying if you work in a department that requires a LOT of heavy lifting (e.g. Garden, Lot technician, Pro Loader, Lumber, Building Materials etc.). The training they provide do inform us that stretching before and after work can be very helpful as well as teaching us the proper lifting techniques. However it does not prevent all physical pain, just most of it. Someone who is actually physically fit can actually do the job well, but everyone is susceptible to physical pain and damage.
Although it was not all bad, when you have people you work with that all do their part of the job and who you enjoy working with, you can enjoy working at any job. Though at some point you do need to weigh your pros and cons. I was lucky enough to work at a store where 200+ employees work there drama free 90% of the time and who do their jobs well.
The work environment can vary a LOT and can be very dangerous at times. In garden, we do have a lot of outside work. From lifting heavy 20-50lb bags of soil and mulch (Heavier if it rained recently) in 90 degree weather to cutting christmas trees outside in below freezing temperatures. Sometimes we have to clean out dangerous and unsanitary areas which can be a huge health risk depending on how seriously the store cares about its safety. (Again, home depot does give us warning and safety precautions to prevent injury. Your safety isn't guaranteed!)
As for what I learned from working in garden, a LOT. I've learned how to maintain vegetable gardens, decorative gardens, how to get rid of certain insects (Indoor and outdoor) and so much more. The training videos they make you watch is very helpful and you can learn a lot of things about your department that you can carry over to your home life. Although I took more of an interest and did some research on my own based on frequently asked questions I got from customers. If you plan on working here, there is a lot you can learn. Try to learn from your job as much as you possibly can, there are plenty of invaluable things you can learn from working here.
Overall, it was a decent life experience. Of course the job has more bad than good (Low pay, super-high demand, high mental/physical stress etc.) Entry level associates make between minimum wage and $10.00/hr (Pay increases about 50 cents-$1.00 every 6 months). There are much better temporary jobs out there for the low pay that Home Depot offers. (For instance, some summer camp counselors get paid over $15 an hour). Home depot's prices are low for a reason! – less
Personal and Professional Goals Statement
Bookkeeper and Associate (Current Employee), Athens, GAMarch 15, 2015
Pros: short work commute
Cons: no healthcare
Social interaction and advocating for others has always been a trait of mine. Since early childhood, I have always interjected on other’s behalves, and stood up for those I believed wronged. My work history reflects this characteristic as well, as management dominates most of my positions. Managing gave me an ingress to championing for the employees rights, and so I have always held such positions; as they had me interacting directly with people on a visceral level. Realizing the potential for this gift, I have fostered my love for social advocation, and it is now the motivation for both my personal and professional goals.
My personal background consists of many years of management as well as an Associate’s Degree in Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism. I earned this degree through Athens Technical College, graduating in May 2008. During my time at Athens Technical College, I was awarded the Work Ethics Award in the Business Division in 2007. I was also nominated for the G.O.A.L (Georgia Occupational Award of Leadership) award in 2007. I was both honored and humbled to discover that only 22 out of the 3600 students considered were eventually nominated. I am a member of Phi Theta Kappa, and made the Dean’s List every term at Athens Technical College.
While studying at Athens Tech, I was working at Best Western as a front desk clerk and night auditor. After graduating from Athens Tech, I was rapidly promoted to Assistant General Manager. I retained this position for four years and learned volumes of practical knowledge. This position included all aspects of management from interviewing, – more... hiring, training, corporate inspections, advertising and customer relations. During that time, I was a member of the Athens Convention and Business Bureau, chaired the Athens Technical College Advisory Board, and sat on the Athens Area Chamber of Commerce. I was the keynote speaker numerous fundraisers, as well as during Athens Tech’s bid for re-accreditation.
While at Best Western, I was introduced to the Northeast Georgia Police Academy. This entailed being responsible for all lodging, personal needs, and advanced comforts during the cadets’ time at the academy. I grew to appreciate and value what Public Service stands for, and realized that my aspirations would be best suited in a career of Human Resources for Public Service. To stand for those men and women who choose to selflessly defend the populace, became a calling to the very heart of my instinct for advocacy.
At that point I ended my career in hospitality in order to pursue my B.A.S. with a concentration in Organizational Leadership. As an effort to expand my training while in school, I gained a position at the Home Depot. I sought this job in order to learn as much as possible about what Organizational Leadership encompasses. Home Depot is a Fortune 500 company with decades of experience in the retail business, and has served as an incredible resource for practical experience. The Home Depot has taught me what it means to be part of an incredibly influential social entity, and embrace the values of a great organization. I have considered the past two years at Home Depot to be a sort of internship, providing me with the invaluable hands-on experience that cannot be duplicated in a classroom. My position at Home Depot is as an associate in the Garden Department, Bookkeeper, and a New Associate Training Coach. The position of Bookkeeper includes payroll adjustments, accounting, bank deposits and auditing the cashier registers. Throughout my time with Home Depot I have earned merit badges for work ethic, giving back to the community and entrepreneurial spirit.
Professionally, I intend to continue in my quest of obtaining employment in Human Resources with deference to Public Service. This goal goes far beyond something as mundane as getting a ‘job’ or even ‘career’; my goal is to immerse myself and flourish in a position of advocacy for others; all the while becoming an integral part of the establishment I occupy. I intend to combine my previous experience with management along with the skills and knowledge that I’ve gained while earning my Bachelors Degree from Clayton State, and applying it directly to a field of work that is the very definition of Organizational Leadership, and consistent with my central core values. – less
Great Company! Easy Job! Decent Pay! Security.
Lumber and Building Materials Associate (Current Employee), San RafaelJuly 11, 2015
Pros: Hires anyone, +12-14 bucks an hour to start (in Marin at least), health insurance for fulltimers (which is easy to get if you just try your best and be honest etc), 401k where they match you dollar for dollar for the money you put in, fun if you like people, pretty easy work and you wont get fired unless you come in late too much or do drugs or steal, lots of different stuff to do and departments to try so you never get bored.
Cons: Every week the hours you work will be different, but you still get the same number of hours, unless you aim for ASM (assistant manager) you wont ever make much more than 15 an hours or so, you dont use your brain much, thats about it.
If you need a job that anyone can do, for livable pay, that's near you practically everywhere you could go, HOME DEPOT'S AWESOME.
--- WHAT ITS LIKE WORKING THERE: Like most jobs its what you make of it, and the people you work with largely make up your experience there. If you work with people you like and you like your supervisors ok then working at Home Depot can be just like hanging out with your friends. I work in lumber, and its wonderful, cause I basically get there, slap high five with my co-workers, and you get to drive a reach truck forklift around and lift pallets into people's trucks and honk the horn, its fun, and its good exercises. All you really have to do at Home Depot is KEEP WALKING, you dont even need much sleep to work this job, just walk, get into a zen like state with your orange apron, and soon you will be like a pinball, customers will zone in on you and ask you to do stuff and so will your supervisors, just do what they say or help them as best you can for 2 hours, then break and lounge around, 2 more hours, break, etc, day's done, and you just made a hundred bucks! :) Its great, very easy job. You'll get really good at reading people by the way they move.. your peripheral vision will sense someone coming at you and I swear I can tell the attitude of a person and if they're gunna ask me a question way before they talk to me.. you cant have a chip on your shoulder about people telling you what to do or calling you "buddy" or whatever they say, you just do what you can to help them, and if they have a problem that gets complicated you just say "sorry, – more... let me get my supervisor to help you". Its a hella easy job. I hate when people say they just cant work or find a job when there's a "Now Hiring" sign over practically every home depot. And there's dudes working in there with tattoos on their faces, and missing eyes, or they're 100 years old, pregnant ladies, mentally challenged people, Home Depot provides livable wage jobs for anybody. So I think its a great company. With so many wishy washy small companies and contractors, this is one place you can just walk in and serve the community and have a job and not have to worry about getting fired or your work getting outsourced. And its a very cool atmosphere. Its like seeing your friends, but you might never get too close to anyone there. They often have free food, they have Tie Dye Shirt Day and a "Chill Out Lounge" in our San Rafael Store. Or maybe you'll get married there, who knows. My brother met his baby mama there :) So yeah, just dont steal, dont be late, read your schedule so you know when to come in every day, and you'll be fine. There's never any hard deadlines really.. you can just work and do your best and if you cant get things done someone else will just pick up where you left off when you go home for the day. Its like a big efficient american corporate machine just providing home and building supplies to your neighborhood at low prices. You'll see alot of friends from around town come in and say hi when they shop there. And you get to feel like a man when you put up gates and tell people they cant come in there and load 4 ton blocks of lumber up on 40 foot shelves, you drive these 5 ton reach-trucks that make the ground shake and your spotter yells at people "coming through!" :) its pretty fun if you like that kind of construction stuff but also just want a chill job where you just get to talk to people and you'll never get fired. I highly recommend Home Depot if you need a job. They're everywhere. And if you move, there will be a Home Depot near you, so you can always have a job. Dont smoke weed and drive the forklift though, cause if you drop something they'll drug test you and you'll get fired. I've seen it happen to buddies and its very sad. It is a pretty cool company. – less
It is, as they say, a mixed bag
Lot Associate/Garden (Former Employee), Mechanicsville, VAAugust 15, 2014
Pros: tolerable compensation, less micromanagement than other retail jobs, friendly customers, good initial training, welcomes diversity
Cons: mediocre benefits, treat workers like pieces of meat, co-workers and department heads can be unbearable, management handicapped by corporate
Compared to many retail businesses this place comes out favorable. The trainee is greeted with a warm, welcoming image, and for the most part, it seems sincere; they (meaning the store management team) really do try to make the employees feel like a family. My kindest comments will be reserved for the assistant and store managers, because in the face of immense pressure from corporate and occasionally troublesome employees they demonstrated humility, tolerance and decency.

Unfortunately, working at a store blessed with good management does not overwrite the mental, emotional and physical suffering that I endured at this job. Every workplace has stress and setbacks. The Home Depot has what I call "artificial stress"; negative situations arrive which are not only preventable but contrived unnecessarily, either due to ignorance, indifference or (not surprisingly) stupidity.

A big problem with this company is employee training. After an employee has passed a good-faith period of routine work and demonstrates competency, they may be cross-trained in various departments. The initial training (when first hired off the street) is good to excellent, and, for retail, is comprehensive enough to make many rival retailers appear negligent.

However, after this initial training is over and the employee is eligible for cross-training, nobody cares. New skills and department training must be learned on the employee's own time, and when a store department's priority is that you remain on the floor at all times to assist other workers, cover lunches and answer customers' questions, this becomes – more... impossible. Department heads will deny this, of course, and insist that they provide enough "free time" and encourage product knowledge. Without proper training (that lasts longer than five minute modules on a computer screen), the employee is left in the famous "sink-or-swim" scenario that's become famous in the retail world: a cruel, humiliating situation that encourages helplessness and confusion. If you are already familiar with the technicalities of planting a garden, installing a bath tub, the different types of wood and cement, etc., then great. If you aren't, you will suffer a great deal.

Not to mention, I never wanted to be cross-trained. I was content with the position that I had. Unfortunately, you are not allowed to be this way in today's workforce. You must allow yourself to be forced into different positions and responsibilities, regardless of whether those positions are pertinent to your own temperament, product knowledge, personal strengths or comfort level.

The second main criticism I have is with the co-workers. Many of them were very friendly and helpful; the people on the front end, in particular, were very kind. But the few negative experiences I had with co-workers here were so repugnant that I contemplated never working WITH PEOPLE ever again. Constantly stirring up drama, being confrontational for no reason, backhanded remarks, open ridicule, xenophobia, creating fake work assignments as punishment, vengefulness, lying, emotional cruelty — you name it, I've seen it. I was on the receiving end of some particularly venomous behavior for not being buddy-buddy with a person in a position of responsibility, displaying indifference to their toxic and authoritarian attitude, and instead preferring to come into work and quietly complete my tasks without complaining.

And of course there were lapses in the helpfulness of my co-workers. Many tasks requiring two or three people were completed alone by myself, and these tasks were not always the easiest on my body. I may only feel the real damage as my body ages, but there were many days that I went home either numb or in anguish. I already have a chronic illness (which causes constant pain), and it is likely that if I had kept the job longer, I could've severely injured my spine or legs.

In summation, this job provided me steady work and pay for a good while. It was not the worst job I've ever had, nor the best. I hope this review was helpful to you. – less
All jobs are temporary
Associate (Former Employee), Reno, NVJuly 20, 2013
Pros: a paycheck
Cons: a temporary job
Your schedule varies each week. I was part-time and didn't mind the schedule changes. Since it's retail, you work weekends. No problem.

My boss had no people skills, so every encounter with him was unpleasant. He thought nothing of berating me in front of customers or other employees.

I learned that there are two types of employees: tenured (regular/permanent) and temporary. When hired you aren't told about this. I was hired as a regular associate, but was let go as temporary. That was shocking to me. The magic number is 90. After 90 days you are regular/permanent. So, they release you just prior to then to avoid having to give a reason and so you can't get unemployment.

I worked there for just under 90 days and during that time:
+ I never missed a day of work
+ I was never late
+ I never had a mispunch (time clock)
+ I never asked for a schedule change
+ I never argued with anyone whether employee or customer
+ I strictly observed the rules for breaks

They hire folks on a rolling schedule. Every couple of weeks they bring in new associates, so they'll have a steady supply. As they hire new folks, they release old folks (just under 90 days). There is a very high turnover. Lots of people quit, but mostly it's from the "hire and release" before 90 days.

The old-timers (regular/permanent) employees are very different from the newcomers. In an 8-hour shift you have two 15-minute breaks and a 30-minute lunch break. For lunch you clock out then back in. The new folks kept to the schedule--probably fearing termination if they didn't; however, many old-timers would take 30 to 45 – more... minutes for break.

With such a short break for lunch, you really need to brown-bag it. I noticed that quite a number of old-timers would eat fast food for lunch. I wondered how they did it. Then I caught on. They drive to whichever place they want then return with their food. Then they clock out. After 30 minutes they clock back in but return to the break table to leisurely finish their lunch. Their lunches are actually an hour or longer, yet the time clock shows 30 minutes.

The store bosses were very young, which tells me two things:
+ the pay is low
+ the hours are long
Older, more experienced folks wouldn't work under those conditions.

There were never enough associates on the floor. Customers would come into electrical, or plumbing, or whatever and no one was there to help them. The associate in whichever department was either on break or not scheduled. One disturbing thing I saw frequently was when associates who knew absolutely nothing about a subject spoke confidently about it and gave advice that was nonsense.

Never argue with a customer. I saw associates fired for doing so. The customer is always right even when he/she is full of horse feathers. Most customers are nice though a few are real terrors. Never try to convince a customer of your superior knowledge on a subject. Let the customer be the smart guy while you gently guide his/her thinking away from nonsensical thinking.

The Home Depot is a great place to work if you are a college student or if you are retired and just want a little extra money. I cannot imagine being a full-time employee who depends on a Home Depot paycheck to get through life. Your annual income would be between $20,000 and $25,000 per annum. You can't have a family on that pay unless your significant other also works (hopefully elsewhere for more money). In fact, a single person would have trouble living on such meager wages. I knew a couple of associates who were receiving food stamps because of their low pay.

I liked my co-workers. They were fun to work with. My immediate boss was a rat, but the store managers seemed nice (of course they released me, so what's the value of nice?). As I approached 90 days, I knew everything about my department. I could help customers knowledgably and confidently. Now a new guy is in my place who knows nothing and when he does, he'll be released. And so it goes. – less
worst company I ever worked for
overnight freight (Current Employee), northlakeOctober 18, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: everything
I applied for part time position on overnight shift. When I had the interview with the store manager, I was told it was going to be full time so they can evaluate my performance. Right before I was due to apply for benefits my hours were cut to 1 or 2 days a week to prevent me from receiving benefits. I am now back to full time schedule because open enrollment for insurance has ended and I am being forced to work full schedule again with no benefits. I was Told during interviews and orientation what a great company it is, all lies. They said I would work two week rotation on weekends and had to work overnight weekends for six and a half months.I was the only person forced to work every weekend. I was told that there is no seniority and everyone is treated the same - another lie, I was told bonuses were so big that HR manager was able to add extra space to her house just by bonuses and stocks, another lie. I was told you can get promoted quickly,more lies. After my hours were cut they hired two people full time for overnight shift with full benefits and never asked anyone if they wanted to move to full time schedule. They only promote people that kiss up to senior management. All of the awards go out to people that are friends with their bosses or store manager.The break room has vending machines that are never stocked with food and they charge double the price. I work overnight and doors are locked so getting food is near impossible at 2 o'clock in the morning and I only have 30 minutes for lunch. I was put in outside garden and had to work in the rain with nothing to protect – more... me from the rain . When my boss moved me one day due to thunder and lightning, the store manager said the department looked extremely bad and he should of kept me outside and risk getting hit by lightning. Co- workers are only out for themselves and will not talk to you and are quick to turn on you , but according to management we are all family. The main thing I learned was to trust your instincts when going to interviews and always ask people that live in the area about the store. My first instinct was to not show up on the first day because I used to shop there occasionally and saw the high turnover of employees. I was also told by people that live around that store that management treats the workers like garbage but I took a chance because I needed the money. There is no training for new employees on nights so when something is not done correctly you are told how stupid you are and you will pay for it when it comes time for your review. They will do anything to prevent you from receiving a raise. You only get one raise and it's only about 25 cents at most from what i was told.None of the scanners we need to look up cases are out for us to use and when it was brought up to district manager she said it would be taken care of , that was 2 months ago and people are still hiding the scanners in there lockers or taking them home.But you are still told you are to slow puting away stock and need to be faster. One worker had heat stroke so bad he had to be carried to the break room.He was falling in and out of consciousness and management left him there.They put him in a chair where he almost fell out of it several times.He could of hit his head on the concrete floor if i wasn't there to watch him while i was waiting for my ride to show up. When i left my shift he was still not taken to the hospital for treatment.That should tell you how much they care about their so called family.My hope is people will read this and stay far away from this multibillion dollar company that treats employees this bad. I complained to corporate so am expecting to get fired soon, so I am going to go back to school and learn a trade that pays more than minimum wage after it happens or start my own company where i don't have to deal with greedy corporations. – less
Management was difficult, customers were worth it
Garden Sales Associate/Cashier/ Head Cashier (Former Employee), Missoula, MTNovember 17, 2012
Pros: occassionally recieved free lunches, if we had automatic deductions from our paychecks, taken out every 2 weeks for the homer fund.
Cons: manag. told me breaks every 2 hrs is not a law, they did not have to give more than, 30min lunch on 8 hr shift
After I started college, one of my coworkers quit; instead of asking the remaining Head Cashiers what shifts they could cover, management changed the schedule; often times with less than a 24 hour notice, if they notified the staff at all. My requests for days off were repeatedly denied, and I began to have coworkers asking me if I was loosing weight (which I was from lack of sleep and personal time).
I did however learn a lot from Head Cashiering. It gave me the opportunity to learn how to basically be in charge and be held accountable for my cashier's actions. I also got a chance to give them advice,boost moral and set an example. Always knowing, that I may have been listed higher up in the company, but I wasn't better or worse than any of the cashiers.
Towards the end of my work at Home Depot, the hardest part of my job was having to be at work by 5:30am during the week, then going right to class after shift. Then having to work both days on the weekend. Between school and work, I hadn't had a day where I had a day off from both work and school on the same day. Sometimes going 3 days or so without sleep in order to keep up with my homework. Once being told by management, that it was "more important to come to work after hours and play games for "cashier olympics" than it was to stay home and do homework"
The most favorable part of my job was defiantly my interactions with floor associates, other cashiers and head cashiers; and most especially, customers. Getting a chance to work and assist a very large variety of people. Being able to see excitement on customer's faces after – more... they found a product they have been looking for for some time. Or when they finally understand how to put something together that they have been struggling with. The appreciation from some customers that I recieved when I was off the clock, in my street clothes and still stopped to help them load heavy items into their vehicles. The most memorable time: an Army Sergeant needed a new BBQ ASAP. His just broke and was having his family over that evening. He found one he liked but couldn't get it to fit in his SUV, but needed it to be pre-built due to lack of time. I happened to be getting off shift about 10 min later. I received approval from one of my managers to load the BBQ in my truck and follow the Sergeant home so he could be prepared when family arrived, His wife and children were so excited and amazed that I would go out of my way to help they all ran up and hugged me.
I love working with people and, until I get my degree is Psychology, I believe working in face-to-face customer environment is the best place to utilize my skills.
Typical work day, I would arrive at the building at 5:30am, immediatly i would grab my first phone, then work with a manager to fill the self-checkout registers. After that, I went down the entire front end and set up all registers with money while making sure they worked correctly. Then I began setting up breaks and lunches for the cashiers that were scheduled to work that day, count the cash drawer, go over morning duties with the lot associate. I set up a list of backup cashiers, sometimes having to contact them and ask them to work a register if we were short handed or became excessively busy. I assisted customers with general questions about most departments in the building, while keeping track of my cashiers (making sure they were where they needed to be and completing their daily tasks), and constantly keeping additional attention on any potential shoplifting or scanning errors by cashiers. – less
Great Culture and Opportunity.. Decent management
Receiving/ Sales Associate (Former Employee), FloridaDecember 3, 2014
Pros: volunteering, community efforts, environment
Cons: becoming "more" corporate
I worked for home depot for 8 years. When I first started the company was very enthusiastic about customer service. In fact, if anything thats all they cared about. We were continuously trained to provided excellent customer service. In turn the company had a very relaxed environment. So customer service was more than making sales, it actually gave you the opportunity to bond and meet and make new friends. I started at 9 dollars a hour full time with no experience and a 50 cent raise after the first three months here in Florida. I think now they start you at minimum wage, part-time, and no guaranteed hours. What made Home Depot special for its ways as an"off-beat" corporate company its starting to shape itself into a typical Walmart/Big Box environment: less people more computers, little flex in schedule, etc. I use to come in do my job and have a good time while doing it. Now its far less "liberated" than what I was spoiled to when I first started. Comparing to other retailers I still will prefer Home Depot. The compensation is not all that competitive but you do get bonus checks quarterly if your store meets sales plans. Plus 401k match dollar for dollar up to 5%. Moving up in the company is not hard. They really love people that are versatile and willing to go that extra mile especially with customer service. The biggest benefit is what you take away from the job and that is knowledge, being able to build and fix things without calling $100/hr service company. Whatever you do try to avoid receiving specifically if your trying to move up. Its like a black-hole. You cant escape. – more... (3 years stuck back there) They would never let me out of there because of my skill and knowledge as a receiving clerk. I would train new associates but not a single one could handle the pressure and stress from working back there. Paint was my favorite department. Very interactive but the customers came in hordes for some reason. Stressful but fun and time flies. I like garden too simply because its the largest department and plenty to learn. Working the Lot is a Winter job down in Florida. If you still in Lot or apply in the summer, forget about it. Cashier is Cashier. Can be boring but its what you make of it that defines your day. I did hardware also. A lot to learn. My favorite was rekeying locks. Very useful learning I picked up from that department. Lumber is ok. Its either dead slow or super busy. You probably help loading and work the saw more than anything. Lifting 80lbs bags of cement into a hatchback Toyota is always fun. Electrical, Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath experience is recommended but not necessary. The customers ask very technical questions in these departments, which you will be trained for most questions but not all. Freight Team / Pack Down Team is good if you do not mind the fast pace and need the extra money. Just remember that operational positions you get guaranteed hours and consistent scheduling but you its tough moving to the sales floor for advancement. On the Sales floor your hours are all over the place 5am-11pm and any day of the week. And the hours are not guaranteed. Same goes for cashiers. My overall rating is 4/5 stars. Nice company just in general. By the way if your concern is money, I would try to negotiate the starting pay as high as possible. They did away with the 50 cent after 3 months deal. Matter fact in one year your raise can be anywhere between 1-5%. This depends on your review and the store sales. I started at 9.00 plus .50 and I left with 11.30 after 8 years. Ive had raises as high as a quarter and as low as 13 cent. If going to become a Supervisor expect a 1-2 dollar pay bump. Hope This Helps... Good Luck – less
Excellent place to learn and develop new skills
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Narcoossee RdJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: benefits: sick time, vacation time, 401k, success sharing, vision insurance
Cons: sparse workforce, poor training
The general work day at Home Depot includes a large amount of customer engagement with mild to heavy tasking (depends on the department you are assigned) that is required when customer traffic has slowed down.
Home Depot does not excel at training. It is a sink or swim workplace where the associate needs to make mistakes and be proactive in learning from those mistakes. The training is computer stream lined and generic so the best course of action in achieving training is to rely on associates who know or even consult with the contractors who frequent the establishment. Also, Home Depot does not frown on freely using the internet, so it is best to use DIY videos on YouTube to educate yourself.
The management at Home Depot is generally composed of kind caring individuals. Home Depot is in a phase of utilizing as little staff as possible to attend to the day-to-day business so it can be rather overwhelming at times to find help with a line of customers or lifting something that requires two people. Management can be a little complacent in being attentive to these issues. Response time to a concern such as this can be too long at times and will generally create unneeded stress.
The quality of coworkers can depend largely on the store. The first store I worked at in Home Depot was composed with some the most dependable, knowledgeable associates. I have worked at other stores, however, where the standard was not the same. Typically though the coworkers are the best aspect of Home Depot. It is usually one of the most diverse work forces. I have worked with folks of all ethnicities, – more... ages, disabilities, religion, etc. Some of my closest friends are people I met in Home Depot.
The hardest part of the job can be the alone time. There are times when you are absolutely alone. There might people in other departments but the vast majority of associates do not specialize in learning neighboring departments, so it can be difficult to find someone to help get you out of the weeds. In my department it was a regular occurrence to spend an average of five hours alone. Some associates I worked with spent their entire shift alone. This lack of overlap can make it difficult to take a fifteen minutes break, go to the bathroom, sometimes even take a lunch. As I've stated before, the Home Depot is attempting to achieve a high standard of customer service with as little payroll as possible and it could be argued that the numbers don't quite line up just yet. If an associate calls out at Home Depot there is rarely a backup plan. There aren't a lot of people to call and fill in. I've seen department go eight hours or more without an associate because there just wasn't anyone to call.
Overall I would state that Home Depot is a good place to work for, but it definitely has its challenges and it's not for everyone. Some of the skills and home improvement knowledge I have developed there will serve me well into life. Aside from learning how to install a floor covering, how to repair a carburetor, or some other project specific task, I learned how to be adaptable and self sufficient. I learned how to teach myself, how to charm customers into a sale, how to be a manager, I would recommend this employer as a job for collegiates or retirees, but I'm not sure it is the best place for career minded employees. Most of the managers I've known seem rather stressed and generally unhappy with their positions. – less
Long hours, low pay, micromanagement and poor operation
INSTALLATION SERVICE MANAGER (Former Employee), Tucson, AZFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: Paycheck
Cons: Everything else
I worked at HDE for nearly two years. At the beginning of my employment the job was good, the hours reasonable. I had a branch project coordinator that was my right hand and kept things on track. Management then decided to outsource the project coordination to a centralized Operations Center in Atlanta. Without adequate testing before implementation. The evidence of failure of their outsourcing came immediately.Customers who used to have contact with one PC now had to have contact with whoever happened to answer their call. VOC started to suffer. Scheduling, which used to be accomplished with efficiency on a 4' x 8" white board by a PC by direct contact with an installer, now was done through ETA Direct scheduling software by Operation Agents. ISM's and Installers lamented the loss of their PC's since the outsourcing was a failure that they had to sweep up after. We were told by Management to "look through the windshield instead of the rear view mirror".

The job description for an Installation Service Manager is far from the reality. "Sitting in a comfortable position" for me meant sitting in my truck, driving long distances. HDE remote markets (no branch office) means you are running your district out of your home office or your kitchen table. (like Amway). HDE expects you to provide this with no stipend for internet use, paper, ink, etc.

You do get a truck and its a good thing too, since I drove about 70,000 miles in two years.

To summarize: The pay is low. The starting salary is about what I made in 1990. The hours are long. 10-12 hour days with Saturdays if you – more... have jobs running. You are responsible for everything that goes wrong and you have to answer for it on your daily conference calls.(which were not daily at one time). Your branch installation manager will publicly berate you on these calls because he is a poor leader who thinks humiliation is a team building skill. You will be subjected to micromanagement on a daily basis.You will have to deal with some of the poorest quality products and vendors and the inevitable reorders that will come and lead to services, which you are also responsible for. (You will come to hate the name "Simonton") You will be responsible for on-boarding new service providers every month and entice them to do so with labor pay rates that are low and are actually an insult to some of them. (labor rates are low so that margins are increased so branch management can bonus with larger sums) There is a finite supply of competent installers in this district. You will find that they are too busy for HDE "supplemental income" If you fail to do this your will be discharged. You have to deal with a constant flow of emails and phone calls every hour of every day from everyone for everything. You have to call every customer when their job starts and a the end of the day after the job is complete to get their VOC. (This task was performed by the PC)

So, if this sounds like the job for you, by all means apply. Just keep in mind this is a turnover based position. It doesn't matter how experienced or competent you are, the only thing that matters is can you install to plan and meet HDE metrics. This market has historically never hit plan before my employment with HDE and it most likely will not in the future. – less
I enjoyed working for home depot. I know that I have what it takes to be a productive employee there and a benifit to the company. I
Lumber Associate/Receiving Department Head (Former Employee), Hempstead, NYSeptember 23, 2012
Pros: open door policies and togetherness with the employees plenty of room for advancment
Cons: no over time
The Home Depot for me was a big learning experience. The people who worked there was friendly and kind, we where a big family working together so we where a team that could provide good customer service. Being a part of that family made it easy for me to train for different departments. I was told in orientation that if I wanted to advance in the company I would be responsible for my own training. I wanted to advance in the store so from the first day on the door making sure all merchandise leaving the store was paid for I began my training for different departments. I assisted loss prevention and lumber. Three months after I was hired, I volunteered to do over time assisting with the inventory. While helping with inventory I learned so much about Home Depot products and services that I was transferred from the door to building materials and lumber. I maintained the isles and I assisted customers. Several months later I was transferred to mill work where I maintained the isles and assisted customers I also assisted the paint department maintain the isles, mixed paint and assisted customers. I also assisted with kitchen and bath bringing down merchandise from the over head. Since I was very helpful to a lot of departments and one of the few people trained well enough to operate a lift machine during store hour safely the store Manager moved me into receiving. In receiving I would punch the clock at 6am first make room for new shipments of lumber, sheet rock, fencing, doors, etc then unload the shipments and place them in the proper place before or around the stores opening. Around – more... 7:30 / 8:30, everything would be away I would log my received merchandise into the computer and I would then start receiving UPS and fed ex. I would log that into the computer also and then send out my R.T.V.s... As the late part of the morning came I would help out all around the store. Helping find special orders, checking return items to see if they were return able, packing out where it was needed, loading contractors trucks for the pro desk, assisting loss prevention keeping a eye on people stealing and I assisted customers whenever they needed assistance. I also participated in Home Depot 9/11 program helping a wife of a fallen firefighter finish his home project. In the end I was helping out where ever I was needed. The only two Departments I myself needed more knowledge in was some plumbing and electrical. I enjoyed working for the Home Depot and would love to work there again. I learned about myself there more than anything. I learned that I love the satisfaction of helping people. I guess that is why I was employee of the month and received many merit badges. The work to some may seem hard but for me I worked so well with others that we as a team made work easy. We worked together and we worked smart. At the end of the day I might have been a little tired but I was always satisfied about a good days work. – less
Fast paced work environment and understaffed.
Delivery Puller (Current Employee), Laredo, TXMay 29, 2015
Pros: 1 Hour Lunches
Cons: Close one night at 12am/ open the next morning at 6am. Few hours per week. Apathetic management.
I started working at Home Depot while attending school because it provided flexibility with my school schedule. Now that I have received my associates I am in pursuit of greener pastures. Working here for 2 years has taught me that management believes what they hear from other coworkers instead of what they see. The hardest part of the job here was constantly being held back from advancement due to favoritism of certain employees by managers and their own personal opinions. It may sound biased but I can assure anyone that it is not. I'll give one example of this, associates of home depot are supposed to help all customers regardless of the question or department to which that question pertains. A common thing to hear is "this is not my department" simply to avoid helping the customer no matter what the issue is which most of the time is asking where an item is. This is where the favoritism comes in, if I am on the sales floor doing my job, helping customers, but my coworkers cannot see it they assume that one is not doing anything. The thing is that those same associates who make those claims cannot see what happens on the sales floor because they are not on it, they stay in a specific area of the store and they do their best to stay within that radius. It might sound like an opinion as well but I have learned that when I am around these people nothing gets done and as long as I am within their line of sight they do not make complaints with management. I have literally been told that I cannot be helping out customers and that I need to stay where I can be seen. To these people – more... working consists of sipping coffee and telling each other anecdotes about their daily lives. The worst part is that the supervisors are part of this work place clique and they are the ones who instill the "don't work, relax" motto. They are unprofessional and hypocritical. Management issues are so bad that two assistant managers got fired over safety issues and the store manager resigned. This was in a span of less than 3 months. Despite the hostile work environment I have managed to always excel at my job positions within the company and have always been commended for my performance from associates who understand the meaning of working together as a team. Working at the home depot has taught me many things about almost any kind of issue including but not limited to paints, plumbing, electrical, and building materials. Most of everything I have learned has been self-taught because another thing I have learned at my home depot is that if you do not know something and ask someone for help to learn they are condescending and unwilling to teach. Probably the best thing I have learned is that like me, there are others who truly understand the teamwork mentality and that they are few. I would like to be part of an environment where everyone is a team player and understands that cooperation is the key to success. – less
As professionally as I can say this. Just say no to the Home Depot!!
Freight Team Associate (Current Employee), FLAugust 5, 2015
Pros: None!
Cons: working under that roof.
Ive been working here for almost 9 years. At first this place was a reasonably awesome place to work for.

The people "we're nice and friendly" the management team was supportive and helped with your career and advancement, the work was manageable and fun, there was a well organized team with a lot of background and experience to go along with the whole process, they truly did believe in taking care of the associate the customer and the rest takes care of itself, and then it happened!

They decided to change everything!! Unfortunately everything good about this work whent with the change.

The freight flow has added like 3 steps to the associates work load and havn't accommodated this change with staffing, and has cause way more work for the entire store

The managers no longer lift a finger to help there stores be successful, they keep hiring people and have to lie to them about what there going to be doing or how many hours they will get to work because no one in their right mind would actually apply to this place if they knew how much work they would be doing for such little pay. The turnover rate is so high it's not funny because of this fact.

The people constantly complain how miserable it is working here. The hard workers get fired because of a ridiculously strict time and attendance policy as to where the lazy people sit around and do nothing because they no they can get away with it. It's demoralizing and desensitizing to people just trying to take care of their families.

Your constantly being overworked if the managers know you'll do it. Even funnier – more... is I do not see one good use for the managers their at all!! Department heads maintain their departments, there is a scheduler that takes care of payroll, all they do is walk around pointing out the one thing that you didn't do on the last 10 minutes of your shift but does not give one ounce of credit to the hundred other aspects of your job that you did accomplish.

I challange anyone to see the turnover rate just by seeing how many job openings you constantly see with this app alone compared to lowes.

The direction they have decided to take is by far the most psychotic thing I've ever seen in my life!!!

The only way this job would be ok is if you find a store that has proper staffing for the work load, a good management team that doesn't pounce on the only aspect of control they have under this roof wich is "disciplining associates like children" and finally a store that does actually care and appreciates what you do for them. There are stored like that out there as of right now, but if they keep going in this direction foolishly like this I'd just suggest all associate just quit and find another job! As well I don't care if they did give you 60000 dollars a year it still wouldn't be worth it. Just pass the Home Depot all together, and don't get yourself mixed up in this circus act. – less
Productive and fast-paced work environment with awesome co-workers.
Service Desk Associate/Cashier (Current Employee), Upland, CAApril 22, 2014
Pros: my coworkers were awesome, and constant customer interraction.
Cons: the physical aspect of it. we were constantly getting hurt from pulling orders that were very heavy.
I started off as a cashier, and I was eventually promoted to work at the special services desk. I would clock in, and go out to the front desk where I first checked the order management. I had to see what customers needed to be called & call them regarding their special orders arriving and ready for pick up, changes in eta's, who still has payments owed on orders, etc. While doing that, the phone would ring on the overhead for me and my fellow special service co-worker to answer. We had to answer any questions they had, or locate the correct department for them to be transferred to. While doing these tasks, customers would come up to the desk to pay for or return items. Customers would also come to us to pick up their special orders, or to place items on will-call to pick up at a later day or time. I also had to special order items for customers either online, or through our special order books that we had designated for each department. If we didn't have anything available online or through our books, I had to call the vendor and create a special order for the customer through them. These sales were tracked every week. I also was in charge of the online orders. We had a first phone at the service desk at all times that would go off throughout the day saying that we had a new order. We had a "Buy Online Pick up in Store System", that customers used daily. Our task was to pull up the order through our system, and go pull it for the customer off the sales floor. It then had to be located in the system and tagged in the store ready for them to pick up, all within thirty minutes. – more... I also dealt with any credit issues customers had, and interacted with the Home Depot Credit services a lot. While doing all of this, we also had to check the system for any open quotes or notes that were left in the special service system. We had to leave notes for associates to follow up on their quotes, and make sure customers were being called so that they can continue with the sale. I enjoyed my job because I was constantly interacting with customers, and their was never a dull moment. I would be in almost every part of the store all day working with several different customers and issues. It was very fast-paced. It was very challenging, but I enjoyed it very much. The one thing I didn't like about my job was the working conditions. I got hurt quite a bit from pulling very large orders. Other than that, I enjoyed it very much. My co-workers were all very helpful and we were like one big family. We always had different event going on. We had success-sharing twice a year, where management would give back to each associate a portion of what we made that quarter. There was also fun store meeting with games and fun events. – less
retail is a very hard line of work
kitchen designer, flooring specialist etc many (Current Employee), nevada and oregonMarch 24, 2015
Pros: the founding principals are beautiful, take care of your people, do things for the community, benefits, great opportunity for advancement
Cons: typically management, software, sceduling, no breaks
No matter what position this work is tough. Keeping a warehouse stocked with product, clean and tidy and being able to assist everyone and give them all the help they need is challenging when staff is skinny and customers are many.
This is especially true when you are a specialty sales person......the company is changing their software and it can only be described as evil. The new software that tracks orders does not register that some orders have been paid for, that there was ever a PO in the first place, that the product was ever checked out to the store. And this is just the tip of the iceberg for the stores that have installed the updated software.You're pretty safe if you just go through a cash register though.
The new software that is used to schedule everyone will have you work until 10pm and open at 8am the next morning.....oh and maybe work 9 days in a row like this.
While you are sleep deprived and trying to battle hostile software to get your customers taken care of, you can expect constant interruptions and requests to help all over when you need to do the math to work out a design, a flooring install......what no one can see is all of the 15 or more invisible customers you are already with that are expecting emails of their new kitchen and detailed pricing, layouts and pricing for several different types of floors or appliances....I really love people and I almost always fall a little in love with my customers, but almost every day I feel that if I didn't have to constantly help customers everywhere but in my dept, I could actually get my job done. You can't – more... imagine the stress of remodeling unless you've done it. Try to imagine that same level of stress, or trying to absorb the stress for 10 or more different customers and not make mistakes, help everything to go smoothly with installers etc. Oh, and while you are figuring the square footage of whatnot, can you stop and go mix paint? Nevermind, go greet at the front door, no, actually please pull this cabinet order, wait.....have you had a break? How long until you're over the legal time limit until the states says you must clock out for lunch? Careful, you'll get written up for not going to lunch on time! Oh, and the Jones just showed up, no they didn't make an appointment even though you ask all your customers to, but they need to change their ENTIRE DESIGN right now before the promotion ends tomorrow......it's your day off tomorrow....?
Again, people as in customers are as wonderful as they are not so wonderful. When you are in retail you deal with every kind of person.
I can say for the most part I adore customers and the other staff I work with are wonderful to be a team with. – less
Excellent experiences with co-workers and customers with little or no experienced management
Associaate (Former Employee), Santa Clara, CAJuly 8, 2012
Pros: co-workers, benefits
Cons: low wages, lack of skilled management, little or no motivation ("you're on your own")
The start of every day centers around the time clock. Punching in/out at the exact time is essential as an incorrect punch can result in a a verbal or written warning. Many associates write down their times to make certain they clock in/out on the minute. During training you're told there is a seven minute window, which seems far from true.

Walking one's department is necessary to ascertain quantity of stock and the way it was left from the previous crew, which may result in additional time cleaning the area. One must be aware that any of these problems are not the result of the night crew's lack of responsibility. On the contrary they represent night management's lack of planning, requiring them to re-assign associates to other duties.

It's essential to look for new products on display. They will "appear" without notice and customers will (quite properly) as you about them - never assume, always ask.

The management hierarchy is completely clueless. "Department Heads" are associates who think they will gain additional status/pay and promotional opportunities. In reality they earn not much more than everyone else, some have only a high school diploma, none are given business communications training and they are expected to work extra hours and have no say over how their shifts will be planned. A person may all be "promoted" to a department they know nothing about and they're on their own for training.

Store managers and assistant managers do not receive additional training except through "Home Depot management school". They know little if any principles of business and working – more... with a staff as they are under extreme pressure for their store's making the numbers otherwise they may be transferred or terminated.

The absolute best part of The Home Depot is the interaction with the other associates. Everyone helps each other (except for Department Heads and management) and the more experienced associates are the best resource for learning and knowing what to say and what not to say.

Customers are usually very polite. The home owner is usually confused in locating what they need or what they think they need (this is where those experienced associates are essential).

Professional customers (plumbers, electricians, etc) know what they want and get frustrated when it's not in stock (the responsibility of the Department Head). Additionally this group is your greatest resource and don't mind explaining details to you.
There is no logical storage method for stock. Radio Frequency I.D. tags would provide everyone with faster service however virtually know one in managemnt is even aware of the existence of such a device. – less
Stressful place where those who work are abused
Multiple departments (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMNovember 11, 2015
Pros: Chance to move from one department to another, Starting pay above minimum wage, Out of cycle pay raises possible, Some benefits are worth the cost but not all.
Cons: Balancing the sales with the employees on the floor burns out people, Mismanagement of the P card that is shared with employee committee functions (Christmas parties)
Associate for 4 years- started part time moved to full after 2.

The good
Promotions exist from sales associate to Department head but at expense of your sanity.
Some associates are hard workers and generally easy to get along with.
A recognition program that also helps your paycheck. (homer badges), but needs rework due to under use.

The bad

No desire for team work or incentive to do so when you get dogged out by managers for not getting your tasks done/ area ready - when you are constantly pulled out of your area.
e.g. to drive equipment because people aren't qualified or don't want to be qualified
e.g. covering two or more departments when people go to lunch because management will schedule incorrectly ( Blaming FAST system) or not calling people in when they can for call outs.
e.g. no lot attendants scheduled so specific male individuals who actually are fit enough to load customers are repeatedly called upon over and over.

Managers can not get on the same page and district managers waste time effort of employees moving displays over and over.
e.g. A wheel barrel display was moved over eight times in as many months wasting in excess of 40+ employee hours.

Building displays (conversion carts wing stacks etc) with store merchandise at a markdown then throwing them away (waste of time effort and money) and then rebuilt weeks later

Pavestone representative spent over an entire day building a display in the main entrance area just because of a regional manager visit and it was taken down in less than a week.

Hiding things in trailers or receiving – more... every time a regional manager might come by the store as there is no over head storage space and any outside storage has been removed (cages cantilever arms etc).

The last two seasonal hiring periods part time seasonal help has been hired behind the curve that with the required Computer based training they do not get a chance to be useful.

I can honestly say I did not meet one associate who was not angry or sick on more than one occasion at the way that the store was manager or they way things continue to go.

"That's Retail " and "Job Security" are the standard answers for why things continue to happen.

Hostile environment and stress is so bad I have witnessed two assistant managers quit and three step down to department head positions under the same district manager.

No job security. Fire at will with out following their own written guidelines on counseling or discipline. – less
2455 Paces Ferry Road