Home Depot Employee Reviews in United States

Found 15,934 reviews matching the search
Great place to work to get great customer service experience.
Flooring Specialist (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNApril 27, 2016
Home Depot is a nice place to work. The culture of store is sort of like a family and always very welcoming. I love my job there because you get to help people, especially with design questions. I love working in a store that provides everything and anything you would need for a remodel. I can go to paint and pick out wall color, head over to flooring to pick out a new hardwood or backsplash tile, and then go to kitchens to pick out cabinets and countertops.
Fun place, well balanced, hours not so great
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAMarch 24, 2016
It is a fun place to work with great surprises. Profit sharing is great and many ways of celebrating with food, games and rewards. Management is great and helpful. The store is loaded with great employees. I'm very proud to be a part of this store.

The downfall is lack of hours. They give very few hours yet hire, more and more people. Finding help when needed can be sometimes difficult.

Overall a decent place to work.
Pros
Fun times, Nice surprises and rewards, including a great profit sharing
Cons
Lack hours yet keep hiring. The help gets hard to get at times in the departments
Great work experience
Lumber / Building Materials associate (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARApril 23, 2016
Great closing shift load and unload truck with lumber and building material , clean department and set up for opening the next day, worked alone , clean under pallets of concrete , replace and markdown broken and busted materials . I worked in department alone until morning shift comes in, Making sure department is clear for opening check list.
Pros
great forklift, reach truck, paleet jack fork truck exp.
Cons
poor compensation
Home Depot Sales Specialist
Appliance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, CAMarch 22, 2016
As an associate, but with a demonstrated knowledge and interest in a specific area, plus product knowledge training and individual development programs, you could rise to specialist, department supervisor and into store management. And that’s just one path your retail career at The Home Depot could take.

Excellent Customer Service

Taking Care of Our People

A fast-paced, exciting environment

Customers who count on personal, knowledgeable service

Questions from customers about each area of the store

To learn something new!


Pros
Medical and Dental Benefits 401(k) Retirement Plans
Cons
Very hard take Saturdays and Sundays off.
Great culture through and through
Sales Associate/Cashier/Freight Team Member (Current Employee) –  Bartlett, ILMarch 20, 2016
I spent almost a year with the home depot as a part time employee. The day was different every time as they moved me around from department to department. But the culture of the store was always phenomenal. When I left for school I transferred to a different Home Depot store and found that the same held true. The most enjoyable part about going to work was that the people there are always friendly and willing to help out. Management was consistently understanding in even the most bizarre of circumstances. Most of the higher ups had began as sales associates so the company grows organically. The entire corportation truly felt and acted like a family.
Productive and Great work experience
Lot Associate (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 29, 2016
I believe that working at Home Depot has been a great experience. i learned how to adapt to a new working environment that I wasn't familiar with, I learned how to interact with new people and one of the key assets that I would say that I learned is how to deal with difficult customers. On a daily basis, I get to work with great coworkers, some of which I have befriended.
Pros
Home Depot really cares for their associates.
Cons
no overtime
I always try to learn something new everyday, I like to keep things positive, when people don't show up for work. learning and getting to know the job
MET Team (Current Employee) –  Capital Heights, TNApril 15, 2016
Dependable, hardworking with more than 30 years in the construction industry, thrives in a fast-paced environment, works to complete projects quickly. Supervise a team of 2 to 20 at a time, train and hire new employees. OSHA Certified, NCCER Certified, Forklift Certified.
Pros
Work very well with other, learn quickly.
Cons
Computers.
Friendly place to be in but...
Lot Attendant (Jul-Mar)/Pro Loader (Mar-Now) (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 27, 2016
Sometimes employees have to face impatient or angry people, which is part of the job, I understand that, but when customers begin to blatantly lie about a situation or even start to speak ill of you behind your back...it kind of dampers everything you did for the day, unless you have a positive outlook on everything that happens, like me. I've learned that the hardest part of the job is also what makes it the most fun and exciting part of it. Going the whole nine yards with a customer brightens up theirs (as well as my own) day because they can see the hard work that I'm putting in to see their request through.
Pros
Holiday Lunches/dinners (Varies from store-to-store), flexible work hours if set-in-stone
Organize and family oriented workplace.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 28, 2016
The Home Depot is a well organize company that assist with advancing your career. Working at The Home Depot is truly a great experience, everyday at work we learn new things about the company and its product with thee help of management. Management is always there to help and assist in a difficult situation. My co-workers are great, we all work together to execute the job to the best of our ability.
Boring Work place, low morale.
Sales Specialist, sales associate (Current Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDMarch 16, 2016
Employee's do no respect one another. Management Did not appreciate the associates. Supervisors and managers looked at associates as workers and nothing more. Employee opinions and suggestions were never taken serious or followed up on. Associate training videos are inconsistent with actual work on the sales floor. Always a lack of department coverage. Employee egos got in the way of getting the job done. overall the home depot is a very unhealthy place to work.
Pros
hour long lunches
Cons
inconsistent hours, over worked and under paid
Home Depot
Project Consultant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 15, 2016
The Home Depot, the world’s largest home improvement specialty retailer, values and rewards dedicated, knowledgeable and experienced professionals. We operate over 2,200 retail stores in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, Canada and Mexico. All of our associates have one thing in mind — helping our customers build and improve upon their homes. Join The Home Depot team today and see for yourself why we are consistently ranked as a top Fortune 500 company.
A variety of challenges
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAMarch 17, 2016
Working in The Tool Rental Department at The Home Depot was a very challenging job. Product knowledge on over 500 tools and equipment gave me the confidence to establish a rapport with new "weekend " customers and daily customers such as Contractors.Management provided me with the freedom to make quick decisions on my own.
Pros
The continuing education on new products and tools
Cons
Hours were very inconsistant. Open one day, close the next
Productive work place, quite, nice and friendly co-workers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 28, 2016
Working at Home Depot was fun i met a lot of good friendly people. I learn so much about the process of customer service, i also learn how to manage my products better. My co-workers were the best, friendly and kind. The hardest part of the job was not being able to work more hours, but i enjoy assisting customer and working over-time the most.
Pros
Discounts on purchases, over-time
Cons
Short breaks, less hours
Great workplace and fun atmosphere
Head Cashier/Special Services (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCApril 22, 2016
I loved being a supervisor. All the cashiers were always willing to team work, and kept a positive attitude. Learned something new every day. Enjoyed working with the public. Loved being the Customer Service Supervisor for 7 months, until I relocated.
Pros
Loved my Co-workers, enjoyed working with public.
Cons
The last two years I didn't have the support I needed from Management, which made my job very stressful.
Demoralized and unproductive.
Cashier/Customer Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  Union City, CAMarch 12, 2016
A typical day at work is dealing with stubborn and rude customers. I learned that equal opportunity is not true and favoritism is the name of the game. Management is lousy and managers are lazy. Co workers are fine. The hardest part of the job is dealing with insensitive managers and rude customers. The most enjoyable part is when there's a long cue of customers waiting to be checked out. I enjoy being busy.
Pros
There are free food on special occasions.
Cons
They don't give fulltime on cashiers.
Good environment, flexible schedule, strict policies
Loss Prevention Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 19, 2016
I worked as an LP for 1 year, and the management gave us a lot of freedom, but they expect high productivity from your side. The don't play around with the rules, if you have a mistake, you'd probably fired right in the spot.
Pros
Flexibility, decent pay, tuition rembursment
Cons
they encorage you to work weekends, holidays and they don't give you any chance to correct your mistakes, they just fire you
Home Depot
Lumber and Building Materials Associate (Current Employee) –  Bee Cave, TXMarch 13, 2016
High stress environment, poor management, high turnover employee rate, poor scheduling. Other departments dump their work on the lumber and building materials associates because they don't want to be trained in operating a forklift or reach making some of their duties impossible. My favorite part of the job is getting to help customers with their needs and seeing them leave legitimately happy and satisfied, knowing they have the right tools/materials for their project.
Pros
opportunities for overtime
Cons
no opportunity for advancement, no raises
Hard work paying off.
Cashier and Lot attendant (Current Employee) –  Industry, CAMarch 13, 2016
Everyday I learn about a product I had no knowledge of and figure out a new way to help customers. Management is always on their feet doing their best to make sure the store is running. The hardest part is helping someone who speaks a different language than me, but I do my best to make sure I help the customer in getting what they want. The best part of my job is seeing the customer leave satisfied because I helped them the best way that I could. At Home Depot we are a family and I enjoy working with all of them.
Pros
The store gives me a well balanced schedule
Cons
I get dirty a lot and have to wash my clothes more often than I usually do
fun hardworking environment
lot associate (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTApril 2, 2016
i would get into work and first i would stock up all the carts that are not in correct place. i would also listen up on my walkie talkie for managers asking my help to help costumers load there cars with materials they purchased. i would also at the end of my shift have to clean the front of the store. the hardest part was the heavy lifting, but i enjoyed being able to work outside
Pros
2 lunch breaks
Cons
worked outside in rain sometimes
I wouldn't recommend working for The Home Depot.
Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Newport News VirginiaMarch 11, 2016
This job tends to under staff the entire store, most of management is incompetent, they show up for a store meeting to discuss driving sales, getting credit cards. And then they go off hiding, only appearing to deal with upset customers. They don't offer adequate training, or time to complete your tasks. This location has seen changes in store managers multiple times over the past couple years.
Pros
Job Stability
Cons
Healthcare is overpriced, the hours suck, the pay sucks as well.